Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Rudoku posted:

Future 17 and 18 had a good run due to tag-teaming everyone.

Yeah but in the main timeline they were obsessed with 1v1 for some reason. I think, not counting fusion because it definitely doesn't count, we didn't have anything but 1v1 battles until Goku Black + Zamasu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Putting aside the potential brain damage aspect of things, it makes sense that Goku is ignorant about family structure. His parents died before he was born and he was raised by a series of old men who live alone or with a turtle or with whatever Mr. Popo is and only really taught him about fighting. Saiyans don't have an inherent sense of family so it wouldn't make sense for him to pick up on it naturally. Goku is also shown to be primarily a visual learner, and still has never been exposed to live birth. Dude probably thinks Gohan and Goten hatched from dinosaur eggs.

Comparably, Vegeta had an abnormally close relationship with his father for a Saiyan due to being a prince and all that, as well as being exposed to what might have been up to a dozen different cultures if Shin is to be believed about the size of the universe. It makes sense that he'd pick up on the idea of what fatherhood means to humans by Super, though he certainly didn't understand it when Trunks was born.

Goku is a bad dad, yes, but he also doesn't have a strong concept of what a dad or a son even is, and it's the exact sort of abstract concept that Goku struggles with in particular, so it's complicated.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/dril/status/878443554632323073

https://twitter.com/dril/status/883172851142053889

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

The part in season 1 of Dragon Ball where Emperor Pilaf has Bulma restrained is a flawless execution of exactly the joke they ought to be making with Roshi but never actually do. I really hope the dub does something to fix the grosser scenes because otherwise the way Super has dealt with Roshi has been superb. I love that they brought the evil containment wave back into relevance. I love that his longevity is from consuming the dankest weed on earth. I love that he's shown to use all of his crafty tricks like when he fought Goku as a kid. I love that Krillin and Goku still look up to him like a father.

As things are, Roshi's one hell of a "Milkshake Duck" of a character.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

tien blows. all glory to the new World's Strongest human, Master Roshi

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

I want to watch an alt-universe version of Dragon Ball Z where, instead of training Gohan, Piccolo perfects the Mafuba and uses it to defeat every enemy from Nappa onwards.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Half of Dracula posted:

If Piccolo had started using the Mafuba to solve all their problems, Gero would come out with two to nine Evil Containment Wave variation androids who could dump the whole planet into a mini fridge.

Wait, is capsule technology just a scientific application of the mafuba?

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

I kinda dig how strength in Dragon Ball is being scaled in "how much does this bend reality" to the point where punchstrength is indistinguishable from magic. Super Buu & SSJ3 Gotenks screaming a hole in spacetime is just something fighters like Goku and Hit and Jiren can do as like basic attacks now. It's a logical progression in power level that we can see and understand rather than just being told "oh, this guy is as strong as a god" which could mean a dozen different things by now.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Vegeta or Goku's gonna wish for the universes back & Zeno's gonna be like" whaaaat you actually wanted those old things? ok i'll just bring them back" and then they'll finally wish King Kai back to life.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Goku's got a Bad Dad Bod.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

I thought Ribrianne was OK until she started making GBS threads on Krillin. Now I want her whole universe gone already.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

18's swolen ankle was a plot device designed to make it look like she could realistically lose. Blood in the water and we could all smell it. It makes her win all the more impressive because, aside from beating someone who had been going toe-to-toe with Goku and Vegeta throughout the arc, she defied her own foreshadowed defeat.

Also I love the emphasis on trying to trick the opponent into friendly fire she & 17 seemed to be doing. It's a good strategy in a fight where you're not sure how strong any individual opponent is.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Szmitten posted:

I liked Vegeta's bit. Thirsty fucker.

Vegeta Jealous of Goku's Fancy New Form is the second best Vegeta type. Hopefully we get a repeat of his iconic crying in outer space until he goes ultra instinct blue or whatever.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

We know everyone's going to be fine at the end. That part doesn't matter. What matters it that the characters don't know.

It's drama, not mystery.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Freeza's keeping his eye on the prize of taking the multiverse throne & only fighting anyone at all to cure his boredom. He has no reason to fight Jiren so long as Goku can do it for him.

The only thing that would prompt a situation in which Freeza loses to Jiren is if Jiren challenges Freeza personally.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Goten grows up to become his own grandpa.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Gohan's his great grandpa.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Nah, the other other Gohan. The short one with beedy eyes, not the one with one arm.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Goku has two biological sons, Gohan and Goten, and later adopts Uub. Goku's dad is Bardock and his adoptive grandfather is Gohan. Gohan was adopted by Piccolo. Piccolo's dad is Piccolo and also Kami, but then later Kami and Piccolo are the same person who is now own dad, so Piccolo is both Gohan's dad and his grandpa. Gohan has one daughter in Pan and in another timeline he adopts Trunks, whose biological dad is Vegeta. Piccolo and is Mr. Satan's Uncle/Brother-In-Law twice removed.

This isn't hard, folks.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Show your work

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Dexo posted:

I can't wait til we find out Freeza's been last hitting all of U7's kills before they poof to get credit for the elimination for the MVP at the end.

I suspect at the end Freeza's going to request that the wish goes to the winner of a fight between whoever is left in that universe. It would explain why he's been nudging Goku to work himself to the bone. Also it would be a fun reversal of the Resurrection: F plot, with Freeza now taking extra care not to exert more energy than he absolutely needs to.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

The clothes are inert.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Squallege posted:

Every other universe needs to learn you can still move while in the air

Flying is illegal. This was established a while ago, so I can understand forgetting by now.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

Yamcha has beaten a God of Destruction.

Does not matter how he did it. He did it.

The same can't be said for Oolong. He merely fought a God of Destruction to a draw before losing in a rematch.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

i'm excited for Perfect Paparoni next episode

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Buu's just a weird monster, like all of the other weird monsters in every universe. He fits in just fine with the were-apes and slug-men and other B-horror creatures we know and love.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

They'll bring back the universes but also spawn more Zenos so they can split managerial duties. Bam. Problem fuckin' solved forever.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

But none of this freezer talk justifies why Goku won't wish King Kai back

Let's be real, with all these different celestial tiers of command it can be easy to forget one of the middle management positions.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

UI is a good form not because it changes how Goku looks, but because it changes how he moves. Goku's natural rigidity is lost in favor of fluid movement and sick beam handstand grinds. You can feel that his physical attacks might not be as strong because he's completely relaxed his muscles, and it holds true in practice.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Bills is hilarious please keep using that forever but if I see a single Kuririn I'm gonna go SS3

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

they've fully blown their fusion load with Kefla. we're in the Fusion Refractory Period

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

He was probably Australian at one point or another. That's the point of body swapping.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

super isn't going to give us ssj4 bull poo poo but you better Fuckin believe Heroes is gonna get around to making Super Saiyan 4 Kefla sooner or later

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Themage posted:

Is hit just u6s guldo?

yes and it's good

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Jiren isn't getting weaker, he was holding back. He wants his opponents to come at him with absolutely everything they have before he completely dominates them, to crush their spirit. That's been outlined a few times by u11 representatives.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

there's Bluetwo and then there's Mega Bluetwo X & Mega Bluetwo Y

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Super Vegeta Blue

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

you could argue that the period of dragon ball from king piccolo to the end of the cell games was short on gags compared to the rest of dragon ball proper, but it had goku on snake way + king kai, bulma in space, ginyu force, the driving school episode, the introduction of mr. satan... i'd argue that stuff is as strong and compelling as the fights themselves and much more memorable

discounting goku black, super's consistently struck a good balance between punchfight wrestledrama and comedy imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Why can't I play as King Kai in FighterZ