Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

Oh goddamnit, did Team Four Star get hit by a copyright strike again?

Looks like it, but that happens all the time. They'll be back up eventually.

Off the subject but I kind of hope there is a timeskip eventually, if only to knock GT out of the running all together (though technically it was never canon to begin with as far as Toriyama was concerned). That said, GT did have a few decent concepts here and there that might be interesting to see handled by a competent writing team.

Making Pan something other than an annoying brat would be good too (though they're welcome to bring her actress from GT back for another round if they want).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Momomo posted:

And his first evil act is wishing Goku back into a kid and-

You know, that wish always bothered me. It's not like Pilaf could deal with kid Goku either, so it was a wish that wouldn't have helped him at all anyway.

Come to think of it, has Pilaf ever been anything resembling a threat even in the original Dragon Ball? As far as I can remember he's always been kind of a joke villain.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Aurora posted:

He found King Piccolo so that was kind of a bad thing for him to do even if it wasn't on purpose

True. Actually, for that matter did Pilaf show up in DBZ at all? He's appeared in every other season at least.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Momomo posted:

Did it turn into the English dub for a second there? It sounded like Sonny Strait saying "Help me!".

On another note, how do other languages handle Goku's name? One thing that was surprising when I first started watching in Japanese was how often people would use the full Son Goku. Hell, Bulma doesn't even call him Goku at all, she always calls him Son-kun. Considering English dropped the Son part entirely, do other languages do the same?

Come to think of it, has Bulma ever once referred to him as Goku in the entire franchise (in the Japanese version at least)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rhonne posted:

How many different voice actors has Goku had over the years?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that only the US version has ever had more than one dub attempt at the series so I'm guessing 3 for America (1 for Kid Goku and at least 2 for the Adult Version) and 1 or 2 for everywhere else.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Goku and Gohan are both played by Nozawa so that's probably why it's hard to tell them apart sometimes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I haven't been following the thread for a while but when is the final episode of Super supposed to air? Also, has there been any talk of continuing the Dragon Ball franchise on beyond that yet?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So is the Dragon Ball Super manga ending as well (if it hasn't already that is)? Not that it really matters seeing as the anime is the superior product in this case. Aside from the movie coming out later this year I do hope they decide to make another season one day but if not this is a decent way to send it off (Super is nearly on par with the original Dragon Ball in my opinion).

I haven't fully caught up with Super but has GT been excised from the timeline yet or could you still slot it in after Super if you wanted provided you ignore the existence of several characters?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

sassassin posted:

No the manga is carrying on through and Super is clearly coming back eventually in a year or so after the movie has had its run.

Ah, I had assumed that this weeks episode was the last one entirely. Good to know then. I know GT isn't canon but I was just asking if you could still fit it in the timeline if you wanted to seeing as it takes place further in the future than Super does (Pan is a child rather than an infant for example). To be fair, for all its faults GT did have some interesting ideas (Super Sayian 4, the Dark Dragons arc) but the writers just didn't have enough skill to make them work. It seemed like they were trying to recapture the feel of the original Dragon Ball but lacked the understanding on how to go about it (something Super does much better in my opinion).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 24, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

they haven't said it'll come back but yea there's no chance they won't keep making more when it's done this well for them

True, Dragon Ball is one of the longest running franchises in Japan and is still super popular to this day. There's no way they'd ever be stupid enough to kill it off for good.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RevolverDivider posted:

Don't bother finishing GT, it just gets shittier as it goes on.

The final arc is ok (in concept anyway) and the Hero's Legacy special is a nice bookend to the series but yeah, overall just avoid GT unless you're really curious.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Overall I enjoyed Super for the most part. I always felt that a lot of the humor from the original Dragonball kind of got lost when the show transitioned over to Z (though it never disappeared completely of course) while DBS was more of a nice mix of the two (and unlike GT actually pulled it off well).

The ending was pretty good as well as it works as a finale but also leaves the door open for things to continue if they want (which I don't really see why they wouldn't seeing as Dragon Ball is still a massive cash cow for Toei). I look forward to the movie later this year and hope we'll get another season one day.

While seeing him interact with the crew on a regular basis would be hilarious I can't really see Frieza turning fully good, maybe more of a friendly rival thing at the most. But then again, almost every friend Goku has started off their relationship by initially trying to kill him (including Bulma) so you never know.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 25, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New Leaf posted:

I'd personally love a back-to-basics approach, maybe set in the future. An entirely new cast with enough familiar elements to still make it Dragonball but without this massive power gulf. Level the playing field again, more like the Saiyan saga. Team fights are always the best.

Either that, or a Xenoverse show, but with all the universes! Think of all the possibilities for wacky characters and crazy time hijinks!

They will never do a series without Goku, no matter how little sense it would make to include him (see also, the back half of Z). A new direction would be nice though, but it probably isn't going to happen any time soon.

While Z was good, I always felt it kind lost a bit of the charm the original had (also the fact that I like this franchise more for the characters than for the fights). Super was a good blend of the two in my opinion and I hope future seasons follow its example. GT had some interesting ideas (SSJ4, the Dark Dragon Saga) but the writers lacked the skill to really make any of them work that well in execution.

I doubt we're going to hear much of anything further until after the next movie is out but it's good that they're still planning on keeping this going (of course, they'd be stupid not to considering how much of a cash cow it's been for them).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

They'd probably just recast Goku (and by association, Gohan) if they had to seeing as this series is way too profitable to just kill off like that.

That said, I'd be down for a show that was basically an official replacement for GT. They're welcome to bring back Pan's old VA from that series and maybe a few elements here and there if they want just as long as they're handled properly this time around (and if they keep Super's writers on board I doubt that's going to be much of an issue).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

By human standards, Satan is probably one of the best fighters on the planet. The problem is he constantly finds himself interacting with and going up against literal super beings so of course he'd seem weaker by comparison. Hell, if he bothered to learn about Ki power he probably could be a good match for some of the lesser Z-Fighters at the very least.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 30, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gruckles posted:

Actually they should start calling Roshi Kamesennin so that Kamehameha isn't disconnected.

To be fair, would calling it Giant Turtle Wave really be any better?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

It is but the manga generally lags behind pretty considerably.

Plus no one cares about Vrains

Yeah aside from the original manga that spawned the series, most Yugioh manga from GX onward typically comes out during or after the anime's initial run. They usually follow completely different plot lines from said animes as well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

goku and piccolo being aliens probably wasn't that surprising tbh

Plus even in the original there were hints that Goku wasn't quite fully human (the fact that he has a tail, turns into a giant ape during a full moon and can shrug off bullets for example) so that one isn't really that much of a stretch.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

It's the latest official one.

So they're still considering GT canon then? Though I suppose you could still set it a few years after Super provided you ignore the existence of several characters/forms.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

One would've thought that, but Toei still considers part as that timeline shows. Oddly enough, this is the first time (that I know at least) where GT has been acknowledged in any official timeline. Previous ones stopped at End of Z.

Also weird considering that I believe Toriyama himself has gone on record saying he doesn't consider it canon to his story. Though then again he's also just straight up forgotten aspects of his own canon before and kind of just makes it up as he goes along so that might not mean much in the long run.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

gently caress, if Trunks was my son I'd remind him constantly how much he sucks too.

Seriously, Future Trunks only turned out the way he was because of Gohan's training and the whole Android mess. Current Trunks has none of those things.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Bra and/or non-infant Pan pop up later on (hell, on the Japanese side you could even bring back their VAs from GT provided they're still around/working), just as long as they change them up so they're actually decent characters this time.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Bra's (and Bulma's) voice actress is Hiromi Tsuru, who recently passed away. Pan shares her VA with Videl (I think), because for some reason every character in DBZ has to have the same voice as their parents.

Ah, so that's not just limited to the Goku family. Not really that much of an issue then, you could just have Bulma's current VA (Aya Hisakawa, same woman who voiced Ami in the 90's Sailor Moon anime) voice Bra instead. She hasn't started yet to my knowledge but she'll be taking over Bulma's role beginning with the upcoming movie.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 9, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TheLoneStar posted:

Thank God Chi-Chi was spared that.

I believe Trunks (both kid and adult versions) has a different VA than either Vegeta or Bulma as well (correct me if I'm wrong though).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Covok posted:

It's canonical that Goku does not kiss his wife cuz he thinks it's gross. That motherfucker ain't putting his tongue anywhere near pussy.

Considering he still kind of has the mindset of a child, it's a small wonder how Goku somehow managed to have sex twice.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, that tends to happen a lot. For example Launch, to my knowledge, hasn't appeared since the original Dragon Ball outside of anime filler because Toriyama literally forgot she existed.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

I had to look her up earlier and one of the first things i found was a story about someone asking why she never appeared after raditz, and him admitting he had completely forgotten she ever existed

I think she might have popped up briefly in a filler arc or two during the original run of DBZ and makes a cameo in some of Kai's opening/ending themes but that's about it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drilldo squirt posted:

I wana watch freeza meeting up with the villain of the week of a different show type each episode and then murdering them after getting sick or their crap.

Hell, go completely meta with it and start crossing over with other Toei animes (the less appropriate the better), it could be funny at the very least. Though honestly I can't really think of one where Goku and the others wouldn't just curbstomp everything.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Because Naruto actually ended in a definitive way and didnt burn away (all) of its good will.

And to be fair, Boruto is actually good (the anime version anyway).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Covok posted:

Yeah, I remember reading the end of Naruto and hearing that "the adventures of Bort will continue" and went "I'm okay with this."

Well, until I read the first few issues of the comic. Outside the potential cuckqueening of Sakura making goons lose their poo poo, there wasn't much to keep my interest.

I did hear the anime was a lot better, though. Never did see it.

Watch the anime, it has barely anything to do with the manga (and what it does adapt it kind of fixes a bit) and kind of brings things back to the feel of pre-Shippuden Naruto. In a sense it's kind of like GT done right.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

I thought Boruto was just some wordplay for Boring naruto, like how Boring Dragon ball Z was Dragon Ball zzzzzzzzz

Boruto is the name of Naruto's son. Technically his name is Bolt, but Boruto seems to be the official romanization so that's what I'm going with.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Would you say the anime ending was better or worse than how Kubo finally ended the manga version (in other words, if I was thinking of checking out the series for myself should I even bother reading the manga)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

esperterra posted:

As far as I'm aware the manga has the same story as the anime + the final arc, barring filler and probably however the anime wraps things up?

Let me rephrase that, should I bother going any further beyond the arc the anime ended on?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RevolverDivider posted:

Heroes is unwatchable dogshit like everyone expected.

But on the bright side we'll most likely get a real Dragon Ball series again not long after the movie is out (though whether they'll start a brand new series or just pick Super back up from where they left off remains to be seen).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Monaghan posted:

Dragon ball heroes is what people who don't like dragon ball think dragon ball is like.

I haven't watched Heroes, I'm assuming that means it's all fighting and screaming with none of the charm or humor to back things up?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 16, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

multijoe posted:

Also the fighting and screaming is barely animated and incredibly formulaic

Just absolute trash

Sounds somehow even worse than GT, hard pass then.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

also, what happened with Lunch? She was great in Dragon Ball but I don't remember her showing up at all in DBZ

As mentioned, Toriyama literally forgot she existed (and she's not the only established detail from the original that DBZ contradicts). I believe she does appear during a filler arc in DBZ and makes a cameo in one of the opening/ending themes for Kai but that's about it. They should bring her back one day.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's lame.

They should do a side story manga about Lunch's adventures during DBZ

Speaking of which, is it meant to be spelled Lunch or Launch? I've heard both used interchangeably throughout the years.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

Apparently the American dub uses Launch, but Lunch is a food pun which Toriyama loves so much so I'm gonna guess that's the "correct" one.

Yeah, I watched the series subbed recently and I think they used Launch as well, hence the confusion. But that makes sense.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TheLoneStar posted:

Oh yeah, speaking of Bulma, this is the first time we'll hear her new voice actress, right?

Yup, apparently she's now voiced by the same woman who played Sailor Mercury (90's version). That'll be interesting at the very least (and if someone watched the recent commercial she did as Bulma, how'd she sound in comparison to the old voice?)

Edit: Here's the commercial in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDosWnRJwGA

She sounds more or less the same in my opinion.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 10, 2018