Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

It might be a bit of a spoiler but what I think this OP really needs is a gif of Zamasu and Zamasu hugging evilly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

lezard_valeth posted:

Latin nerd legend Adrian Barba did a thing again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80flKplgwMo

Just wanna say the thing he did is good.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

But the real question is, what are the Kamikaze Fireballs up to?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

turn on your monitor

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

It's kinda amazing to which degree Toyotaro needs to dump on Vegeta. Having him paralyzed with fear and having Shin of all people save his bacon is just sad.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Angels aren't allowed to fight directly, but there's nothing in the angel rule book that says they can't use mechs instead.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Yeah, genuinely caring about Kale and wanting to help her build some confidence, and going maximum fightnerd when there's a good tussle to be had aren't mutually exclusive. Plus, Caulifla isn't exactly smart and calculating enough to intentionally ignore Kale to draw out her power, she's as, if not more, impulsive than Goku.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Depending on how things go after this arc we might figure out what the deal with Blue is through Caulifla.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

we know the deal with blue, you go super saiyan while in ssg. they've said as much

unless you mean like, "oh well if you wiggle your toes like so your hair turns blue"

I mean in terms of accessing god ki without any rituals in the first place.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Last week's preview made me worried Caulifla was gonna get ringed out, glad she got saved by Goku's serial opponent-sparing problem.

Kale's whole resolution scene was a bit weird, but then again Vegeta also unlocked Super Saiyan by being a huge pissy crybaby so that's not the first time either.

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Here's the thing about Caulifa and Kale, they're both great characters, but in the end it's a Japanese children's cartoon and Japan as far as I can tell doesn't even really talk about lgbt stuff. Caulifa also refers to Kale as her friend or protege constantly. You can ship them as much as you want but pretty sure there isn't a lesbian romance going on in the show that just passed the threshold of having female characters that might matter to the story but probably won't.

Anime is full of subtextual or even textual lesbians though, and not just recently either. Sailor Moon back in the day was a kids' show but that didn't stop it from having several straight-up queer characters. No one's expecting a big ol' confession and/or kiss scene between them or whatever, this is still just a silly punchmans show, but Kale constantly power-blushing at Caulifla is pretty much asking the audience to come to a specific conclusion here.

Also Dragon Ball already had General Blue. It's not exactly stellar representation or anything but gay people aren't exactly a new and unheard thing in this franchise in the first place.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

who's the U6 pig though

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I actually like that they set up Frost to be good Frieza but then the twist is he's just good PR Frieza, it's just that this is a thing you can only do once and afterwards you either go in a whole new direction or you're stuck with Frieza but less so. It's why I half-hoped and half-expected he'd get some kinda redemption arc for the tournament, just because it would give him more contrast to Frieza.

As it is I don't have a lot of interest in Frost as a character. Having him stealth-gank people stupid enough to casually hang out at the edge of the arena is funny but that's not enough to make him interesting for me.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Momomo posted:

Did it turn into the English dub for a second there? It sounded like Sonny Strait saying "Help me!".

On another note, how do other languages handle Goku's name? One thing that was surprising when I first started watching in Japanese was how often people would use the full Son Goku. Hell, Bulma doesn't even call him Goku at all, she always calls him Son-kun. Considering English dropped the Son part entirely, do other languages do the same?

The German dub always called him Son Goku without fail, same with Tien always being Tenshinhan. On that note Krillin was pronounced more like Krilleen (while being spelled Kuririn in the title cards, causing me tons of confusion as a kid) and Vegeta's pronounced like Veh-geh-tah, with a hard g like in "good".

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

Hopefully the two U4 guys live up to the reverse hype.

I'm still subscribing to the theory that they're just really tiny and won't do anything but pad U4's last man standing count.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

good, I'm glad

I'm not.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

So is he going to stack God on top of Blue?

A Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan God if you will.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Wuxi posted:

Congratulations, you achieved an even more boring gimmick than sassassin

I thought the guy who pretended to be Zamasu was trying a bit too hard but here we are.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

this is just my theory but, i think the Goku-looking guy on the poster, is Goku

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Blue Star posted:

Tentative and admittedly speculative list of trans characters in the Dragon Ball mythos (canon only, excluding movies, filler, video games, etc.):
-Freeza and King Cold
-Piccolo and Namekians (they produce via eggs)
-Kuririn (in lesbian relationship with 18)
-Bulma (trans man, his constant referring to himself as a "delicate girl" in Dragon Ball was just denial, gay relationship with Vegeta, currently working on tech to grow a penis without having to wish for one via SHenron)
-Zarbon (ids as male in "pretty" form, female in "monster" form)
-Doctor Gero (gave himself a new body, whose to say he was originally a man??? Could have been a trans man)
-Supreme Kai (trans man)
-Mr. Popo (agender)
-Zeno (agender)
-Ribriane and those other two (male-assigned at birth)
-Captain Ginyu (agender, is indifferent to body, even excluding filler this is self-evident)

Too bored to keep going, someone else finish this

hosed up you go this far for the joke and then don't go for the coup the grace of suggesting Kale is a trans man in a relationship with a butch woman

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I'm surprised the Hellzone Grenade actually worked, usually moves that result in large dust clouds are legally required to be shrugged off like nothing.

If the tournament does go off the rails eventually and the last couple contestants challenge the High Priest, I wonder if Gohan's gonna be the main instigator. So far he's the only one who showed a level of remorse for playing a part in annihilating countless lives when everyone else only displayed shock and disbelief.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I do kinda feel we're a bit overdue for another U7 ring-out just to raise the stakes again now that half the contestants are gone. Who was next on the OP theory elimination order again?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

You could promise him food if he jumped out of the ring himself, defeating him instantly.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I can't believe even Champa's vuvuzela was defeated.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I'm glad the villain of FighterZ is going to be original character Dark Goku.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Rhonne posted:

At 1:09, is that a Krillin/18 team super? I wonder if other pairings have that?

It looks like the same pose as the 18/17 team attack, so maybe that's an alternate version of that combo if you put Krillin in 18's team.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

You can blame the people in charge of casting and directing for the King Kai situation, however.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

tbp posted:

yeah pre and post freeza Z has a pretty decent art difference imo. and then z to super is again really big.

its not the end of the world but one thing i liked a lot as a kid was seeing like vegeta limping around with what had to be broken bones, with his armor completely destroyed yet still terrifying krillin/yajirobe/gohan. goku was so broken he couldn't even get up

you don't really get that feel of gravity in super

When I was a kid I recorded the Goku vs Piccolo episodes and every so often rewatched that part where Piccolo tore his own arm off and splattered red blood all over the place. That scene's so ingrained in my mind purple blood Piccolo never stopped being a bit weird to me.

Nowadays I can't say I exactly miss that more visceral level of violence in Super, but as a kid I was absolutely into the more brutal fights of late DB and early Z.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The problem with "reading the text" is when there's multiple texts out there that aren't necessarily contradictory but not identical either. Or sometimes they are contradictory, in the case of the movies.

It's a thing I find neat about Super, though. It has a touch of oral story-telling tradition, having a story change as it is told to and then told by different people. Not exactly the first time an anime and manga covered the same base material while going in different directions but it's still more interesting to see how these same-but-different stories work out rather than trying to fit things into "canon" and "not canon" categories.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I figured Ganos would pull off a last-second save but I guess Mouser will laugh his last kekekeee soon enough.

Kinda hope a U7 member gets ringed out soon just to raise the stacks a bit more. Next episode seems to have a slight Tien focus so maybe he'll get dusted in the first three minutes.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The Roshi creeper scene basically made me wish he'd actually keel over at the end of the episode.

Crabtree posted:

But seriously did Goku revive Roshi? Does that count as him accidentally triggering some kind of Creation power or technique to save his dirty old master?

That scene where a dying character is being resuscitated, it seems to fail and everyone starts mourning only for the character to draw breath a second later is basically around in fiction everywhere. Who knows if that#s the idea with that blue energy wave at the end though.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Does that One Thing/Dragon Ball Super promo thingamajig mean we'll get Goku's obligatory new form in two weeks? Somehow feels a bit early for that.

Glagha posted:

Actual question: Has Jiren even spoke yet? His MO seems to be eternally staring silently at the poo poo going on and only occasionally stepping in to do one move to show he's a badass before going back to doing nothing.

I think he said something like "Leave it to me" before dealing with Kale, but that was it.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

I thought they explained zamasu sticking around by saying the time ring saved him from it or w/e

I think that was just a fan theory going around when Beerus insisted he could totally destroy people across timelines, when the simple answer is that he doesn't know poo poo and Trunks himself is more of an authority on time travel shenanigans, as Beerus himself later admits. The future Trunks is returning to at the end also still had a Zamasu they had to deal with, and he didn't have any time ring powers at that point.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Yeah my bad, the characters themselves were busy enough throwing random guesses around that it's easy to lose track afterwards.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Speaking of fighting game rosters, I wonder if Caulifla and Kale are gonna become shoe-ins a year or two from now just because of how starved this franchise is of female fighters.

Imagine the next big Dragon Ball fighting game that's mostly rehashing Z all over again, but also Caulifla and Kale are there for good measure.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I, too, remember DucktaleZ 3.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I didn't exactly like Hit when he was introduced and it took his fight for him to become more interesting to me, but doing the same whole "stoic and taciturn guy turns increasingly excited as Goku teaches him the joys of being a punchman" song and dance again would be pretty boing, as would be keeping him stoic and taciturn the entire time. Those are by no means the only two directions to take Jiren's character in but as is I don't exactly have high hopes for him.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

khwarezm posted:

Jesus, the goon consensus on Super sure changed dramatically after one bad episode.

Has it? Pretty sure most people who previously liked the show still do, and those that didn't still don't. Didn't notice a lot of change there at least.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

TheHan posted:

I'm not ready to call it either way on Jiren's personality, but one thing I am disappointed about is his and Toppo's dynamic. Toppo said Jiren was his best friend but they've shared a total of zero words so far. Not even a reassuring pat on the back. Zamasu and Zamasu were better friends than these two are.

It's not fair to compare Toppo and Jiren to the two best friends in the franchise.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I think it started before that when Gohan talked about pursuing a different path to power than increasingly powerful super saiyan transformations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

They're a bit spoilery but I would like to see them anyway, so just hide them behind spoiler tags or a link or whatever.