Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Condiv posted:

where's the poll?

also, to the guy who said tien is the only human to survive the human extinction attack, tien's not human

He's very much human, he just has some alien blood in him. It's likely too diluted to count as anything else than human, and he's always been referred to as an Earthling anyways.

Also, a bit of a correction on the opening post: Toriyama did not design Super Saiyan 4 Goku, that was Toei Animation's character designer Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru.. Toriyama was, however, responsible for all the main character designs (yes, that includes Vegeta's moustache and Trunks' awful outfit) and he designed the logo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Condiv posted:

zamasu spends every episode trying to sabotage their godtube releases, only to make them more popular than ever

Every video uploaded by Gowasu has a single dislike. Gowasu never realizes who might be behind them.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Professor Wayne posted:

Just checked. Planetnamek.com is for sale.

Well, you know how Freeza works. First he takes internet sites down through DDoS attacks by his army, and then he buys the domain and sells it at a higher price.

That kind of thing doesn't happen in U6, Frost has always helped internet security firms.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Bloodly posted:

Where...I've seen this....

Oh, that was it. DBZ: The legend

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Z:_The_Legend

Hmm. It was an odd little game, that one. Wonder if it or something like might turn up again?

Battle of Z seems to be based on it, and that's probably as close as it's ever going to get.

Also check this out, it's good.

https://twitter.com/DJonesArt/status/888135875258929152

I want U11 to win this tournament and save the multiverse. They're the true good guys and will stop the evil Son Goku.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Pureauthor posted:

Out of context it looks like they're both going to betray the other first chance they get

Oddly enough, Xenoverse runs with that, despite how in the series itself they're an extremely close team, a very weird thing for Dragon Ball where even the good guys are absolutely terrible at teamwork.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zedd posted:

How I understood it is that Babidi never really controlled him (this is obvious later on) but he took the evil influence from the spell to counter his character development and push him to his old lack of morals and value's just to bait Goku into fighting him.

And somehow, there's a number of fans that didn't understand that that's a bad thing and want it to happen again, but permanently.

A lot of people seem to really hate the idea of Vegeta actually growing as a person.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I really need Kale to appear in a game yesterday, just to have an entire stage of her and Broly screaming Goku's name. "KAKAROTTO! SON! GOKUUUUU!".

Have another mission where Kale teams up with Zamasu instead. "SON GOKUUUU"s everywhere.

Also Caulifla is cool and it says something about her that Goku's convinced she can get Super Saiyan 3 in the tournament. He was shocked that Gotenks got it, because it took him years of training while dead (thus having limitless Ki) to get it while they got it in a much shorter amount of time, without ever hitting SS2, and while completely alive. Caulifla got Super Saiyan literally hours ago, Super Saiyan 2 minutes after the first, and is on the fast track to 3. Which I hope she doesn't get, because SS3 is a loser's form, and I can't imagine it wouldn't look weird as poo poo on her.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Covok posted:

Oh, also, looks like they have officially named Kale's transformation "Super Sayian Berserker."

No, that's only how the DB wiki decided to call it because accepting it's the Legendary Super Saiyan form was too much for those weirdoes. They aren't exactly lying about them making the name up either, the article itself has "[unofficial title]" written under its name.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Covok posted:

Kale and Caulifia both grow as people and as warriors: Kale masters the Legendary Super Sayian State and surpasses Broly. Caulifia achieves Super Sayian Blue.

Then, they are both erased from existence.

It'd be consistent with the lessons learned until now.

No amount of effort, no amount of growth, matters in the face of awful deities.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Goku is 43/44 years old right now, since he was born in 736 (Jaco retcon) or 737 (original date).

By shonen standards, he's really old.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mordaedil posted:

Why do you think they listen to them when pretty much everything they do directly screws with these people?

This is the best time to poo poo on those fans because they get shat on significantly.

I wouldn't say that. Rather, it seems current Dragon Ball attempts to please both sides: the anime gives us other characters being cool and power levels mattering less than actual fun, while the manga is there for the power levels-obsessed part of the fandom that only wants Goku succeeding while everyone else fails or disappears.

I don't want to see what Toyotaro will do to this tournament.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Namtab posted:

If there were a poll I'd vote for that one supreme kai who can't figure out that the apprentice that keeps talking about killing all the humans might not be on the level

Look man, Zamasu said Gowasu's Godtube videos are the raddest, and no one who understands Gowasu's Godtuber abilities that much can have anything less than the purest of hearts.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Stairmaster posted:

Gokus full power super saiyan blue thing in the manga doesn't seem functionally different from using the kaioken.

It's lamer in visuals. SSBKK has that impressive blue/red aura, an effect that nothing else in the series has. You can look at it and instantly, and correctly, deduce it's powerful. Removing the aura is just...removing the aura. Something that happens constantly in the show.

It ultimately has the same role (risky power-up to Blue) but it just isn't as satisfying, and it's introduced more clumsily as well.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Pureauthor posted:

Also it was Gohan who deflected the bullet into Beerus.

And into his wife's leg.

Just to confirm that he is in fact a giant screwup.

In his defense, he was really drunk.

EDIT: Oh, Kale appeared in Dokkan Battle, so now we have a sort-of name for her Legendary Super Saiyan form:

https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/889891444176990209

Dokkan Battle is not the best source (for instance, it refered to SSAnger Trunks as just "Super Saiyan", disregarding how that's blatantly not the first stage), but it's what we have right now, so I guess her form is just "Rampage/Berserk/Out of control/Whatever you want to translate "bousou" as".

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 25, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zedd posted:

Nah trunks would be an excellent GoD, when he tries to protect things everything around him goes to poo poo, imagine him actually wanting to have things go to hell. :shepface:

Everything would be perfectly protected and stable, because the universe loves messing with Trunks.

Sometimes I think of these things and wonder if I'm doing the right thing EX-Fused with him in Fusions. My Luck stat went down after fusing with him.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kelp Plankton posted:

The only correct EX fusion for Trunks is Kid Trunks, for Double Trunks.

I want that, but I can't get Dragon Ball History: The Androids yet, so I'm waiting until that unlocks so I can run the Trunkest team with all the Trunks, including people that are not Trunks but have the same blood as Trunks.

While I wait for it, I'm running Trunks (Super) fused with myself, EX Gohanks and Brapan just to have as much Trunks and similar as I can. I should see if I can fuse Future Trunks with someone...

Billzasilver posted:

I mean how you have vanilla ice cream, which is pretty good, but you can add a chocolate vanilla swirl to make it even more delicious.

I would bet money beerus explains it that exact way.

I don't think there's another way for Goku to understand it other than food analogies, so that should work for him.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Condiv posted:

NOT CANON

here's the facts from the manga:

- no-one can beat blue or goku thanks for your tiem

Actually, Blue is a very lovely form in the manga that makes Super Saiyan 3 look amazing. However, Blue when used by Goku is awesome because Goku is the bestest and has fully mastered the form thus surpassing any and everyone including his fused forms.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Junpei Hyde posted:

Champa and Vados are good (and I think the one frieza arc episode they're in is dubbed even) , goku black is divisive. I'm apparently the only person who likes Zamasu.

Rosé Black is good, Batman Black is not, and I don't get why Sean Schemmel does two different voices for the same character. I hope he sticks with the former.

Zamasu's voice isn't bad but his VA's performance is too flat for the character. I attribute that to bad directing rather than bad acting though, and I look forward to hearing Zamasu in the anime proper, with actual voice direction.

Also since they weren't said: Cabba is very good, Frost is too nasally for my taste but casting Freeza's brother as him was a good move, Hit's VA really needs to put a bit more effort once he appears in the anime, or else it won't be time to make the donuts.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Maple Leaf posted:

Yeah, what's up with that?

In the manga, Cabba says that the Saiyans of U6 lost their tails during their evolution, likely because Toyotaro wanted to explain why Goten and Trunks were born without tails as well.

There's no explanation in the anime, Cabba is outright confused when Goku asks him about his tail, meaning that the U6 Saiyan race either lost their tails so long ago that they can't even remember they had them at one point, or they never had tails at all. The latter would be rather weird though, since calling them "monkeys" and similar is still considered an insult in U6, as Cabba shows when he tried to anger Caulifla so she would transform.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Jedah posted:

Caulifa is good. She's gonna look strange without eyebrows, though. Didn't the last episode foreshadow that she's gonna sacrifice herself for Kale?

I don't remember if it applies to Xenoverse, but in Heroes, female Super Saiyan 3s don't lose their eyebrows, only males do.

Condiv posted:

the most important part in all of this, is that the concept of monkeys, chimpanzees, and apes are apparently multiversal

U7 and U6 are twin universes, so we can guess that most if not all races in both are the same.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

khwarezm posted:

Well probably not though considering the fact that universe 6 is apparently way higher rated than 7.

He must be doing something right.

It isn't. U6 is literally one position above U7. It's the third-worst universe.

Having good Saiyans and a Freeza that at least tries to look good to the rest of the universe despite still being a monster probably helped a lot.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PMush Perfect posted:

The real question is who's U6 Trunks?

Never existed, hence why U6 is better than U7, they didn't have anyone ruining everything through time travel and horrendous unluck.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I like how Shin Budokai gives Cooler more of a unique personality, beyond being Freeza but not a terrible boss. It makes him more honourable, to the point where he gives up on taking hostages so long as Gohan fights him alone because Gohan's willingness to sacrifice himself for Videl is not something he can ignore, and even wishes Gohan would join him as he dies. It made Cooler my favourite movie villain.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TheHan posted:

Everytime I see this clip Gogeta just comes off as the most otherworldly supremely powerful being in DBZ. He doesn't even use any beam attacks, he vaporized Janemba from the inside-out! SS4 Gogeta actually feels weaker in comparison.

That's because GT writes Gogeta as if he was Gotenks. They might as well be two completely different characters, to the point where Xenoverse 2 has SS Gogeta criticize SS4 Gogeta's personality, despite being the same person.

Even in battle they're totally different, SS Gogeta just sets off with an amazing physical combo that includes disappearing to finish with one of the coolest energy attacks in the whole series that, if we're to believe its name (Soul Punisher), works by literally destroying the enemy's soul (or purifying it, seeing how it turned Janemba back into Saike Demon). Meanwhile, SS4 Gogeta just fucks around during his one fight and uses moves we've seen everyone else use, apart from the Big Bang Kamehameha which was kind of cool but nowhere near as cool as the Soul Punisher (plus is, by definition, weaker than his Potara counterpart's Final Kamehameha, being based on a weaker move for no explainable reason).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kelp Plankton posted:

The original appearance of Gogeta felt really scary and powerful, like it was clear unifying Goku and Vegeta in a single body with all their strength combined was just this ungodly thing, too strong to exist, surpassing understanding

Vegito afterwards by comparison had a lot more personality but just felt like they were kind of mashed together into a new dude, who's strong, but not in some weird supernatural way or anything. Vegito fits better with how the show handles Goku and Vegeta ascending to God status and everything. Vegito feels very Toriyama whereas Gogeta, while cool, seemed like maybe he was too cool to exist as a Toriyama thing. he was flash and coolness and none of the weird goofiness that shows up when this stuff actually happens in dragonball

SSJ4 Gogeta was just done by someone who wanted to sell toys or whatever, I don't think they put any care into it. maybe he's closer to how Toriyama would have handled it? i dont know. why is his hair red anyway

I don't think GT Gogeta is closer to Toriyama's intent. Toriyama clearly saw Vegetto as a middle point between the Toei fusions: he has Goku's relaxed personality and Vegeta's arrogance, but he's also very goal-driven and intelligent, all of his loving around was so Buu would eat him, thus giving him the chance to save everyone, at no point was Vegetto being an idiot for the sake of it (unlike Gotenks). It shows even more in Super, without the need to stall, Vegetto is arrogant, but 100% in control of the situation, beating the ever-loving crap out of an immortal, fused, ever-powering-up god like it was no big deal. In both cases, Vegetto is beaten by something neither he nor his parts could see coming: the Potara's time limit, which at first they were not told (because the U7 Kaioshins are worthless) and then they were told wrong, without taking into account how their power would lower their time (because the U10 Kaioshin is worthless).

Contrast to GT Gogeta, where he acts literally exactly the same as Gotenks: entirely loving around for the sake of doing so, despite knowing he could win the fight in an instant. He has none of Goku or Vegeta's good traits, he's just a ridiculously powerful buffoon. The fusion runs out before they expected it, but Gogeta could've won at any time, he loses only because he's a gigantic dumbass, which is extremely far from either SS Gogeta or Vegetto, and it feels like Toei just wanted to write Gotenks again, or heavily misunderstood Vegetto. Both are possible, seeing GT's very bad writing.

Contrast, again, to SS Gogeta, who gets very little time but in that time gets one powerful line ("I'm neither Goku nor Vegeta, I'm the one who will destroy you!") and then completely annihilates the enemy, showing exactly what would happen if the two most powerful characters joined forces, but also writes them with none of their negative sides, also showing what would happen if Goku wasn't a fight-loving, relaxed dumbass and Vegeta wasn't a fight-loving, arrogant dumbass.

tl;dr: Toriyama's idea of Goku and Vegeta fusing is more complex than either of Toei's takes.

Also his hair is red because he reverses the hair and fur colour of SS4 for some reason, it looks weird.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Bee posted:

Okay, I need to see this.

Here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht878HXg4s4&t=193s

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Covok posted:

What if Goku went Super Saiyan 3 while Super Saiyan blue and using the Kaio Ken? Would Super Saiyan Blue 3 Kaiokenx20 be stronger than Beerus?

It'd last less than a second, deplete all of his ki and stamina, and leave all of his bones broken.

But for that less than a second, Goku would be incredibly powerful.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mario Castañeda is the only true Goku, all of the rest are fakes.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Momomo posted:

On another note, how do other languages handle Goku's name? One thing that was surprising when I first started watching in Japanese was how often people would use the full Son Goku. Hell, Bulma doesn't even call him Goku at all, she always calls him Son-kun. Considering English dropped the Son part entirely, do other languages do the same?

I can't remember a single time someone calls him "Son" in the Latin American dub, despite being completely faithful to the original. I don't remember if he's ever called by his full name, but I'm sure he's never called just "Son".

Rutibex posted:

Same with Tien. They always call him Tienshinhan, but the dub seems to reserve the "shinhan" part as his last name or something. I have only heard it once in the dub.

That's a rename. He's Tenshinhan in the original, while the dub made him Tien Shinhan, adding an i that was never there (like Frieza, but pronounced) and breaking up his name for some reason. That said, even in the original (and kept in the Latin American dub) Chiaotzu just calls him "Ten".

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

HGH posted:

Oh right, this reminded me.
Were the androids named "C17/18/etc..." in all the non-english foreign dubs? Because I recall the first time I saw them being called androids was in English and thinking to myself how that didn't make sense.

They were "Androides" in the Latin American Spanish dub. As they should be.

Fargin Icehole posted:

I think i mentioned it before, but yeah, in South America, it was loving huuuuuuuuuge. I remember revisiting, and all of like 8 of my cousins were just completely enthralled watching Saint Seiya, right before DBZ was about to start. Fuckin' Anime man, was crazy

Yeah, DBZ and Saint Seiya were expected viewing to any male child (and several female ones, and teenagers, and probably more than a few young adults) back then.

Hell, I've seen nothing of English-speaking people about the Netflix Saint Seiya show, but pretty much everyone on my Facebook was posting about it and Twitter was full of Spanish tweets about it the moment it was announced.

Sadly, from what I've seen, at least fans from Argentina are the insufferable "NO BUT DRAGON BALL IS SERIOUS" crowd mostly, so they hate everything BoG and onwards.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dias posted:

It's CG, which makes me go eeeeh, but yeah, it's still a Netflix Saint Seiya show (which is going by Knights of the Zodiac so you know it's appealing to Latin America very hard) so we gotta check it out.

Are you surprised? The last Saint Seiya game had a bunch of dubs in it, which is very unusual (and greatly appreciated, it just isn't the same without the voices of my childhood, even if some were changed). I wish more franchises took that effort to appeal to us, I'd love it if, say, the next Dragon Ball game just so happened to have Mario Casteñeda and René Garcia (and everyone else) in it...but it won't happen, sigh.

Tae posted:

Did south anerica also get rhe seagulls as their opening

The what? No. We had dubs of every original opening.

Larryb posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that only the US version has ever had more than one dub attempt at the series so I'm guessing 3 for America (1 for Kid Goku and at least 2 for the Adult Version) and 1 or 2 for everywhere else.

Uhh, I'd love to say the same, but doing some research it turns out that our Goku had a ridiculous amount of VAs. Only Mario Castañeda (adult) and Laura Torres (child) count though, everyone else had very minor roles (or was in the horrendous Kai dub).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

RBX posted:

Is Saint Seiya good? I remember it from childhood but it never caught on with me, and what should I watch. Age doesn't matter.

Saint Seiya is...very varying in quality, to say the least. The beginning is somewhat slow, but then it hits the Gold Saints arc and it becomes amazing. It just hits manliness levels that you don't get from most series, the Gold Saints are giant badasses and most are extremely likable, to the point that they've become basically the face of the franchise in a way Bleach's Shinigami wish they could be, and you just loving feel the time limit as it goes. And, if you're watching the anime, that's followed by likely the single best filler arc in history in Asgard, which is peak Saint Seiya despite not being, or because it isn't, canon, with very likable antagonists and a really neat setting despite not fitting with the Greek mythology the series usually shows.

The problem is that that's as good as it gets. Poseidon feels like filler despite not being filler, and Hades is a mess. Kurumada is not a great writer and it shows.

Beyond the main series, The Lost Canvas is, at least in my opinion, by far the highest point of the franchise. Shiori Teshimine took Kurumada's attempt at a world and made it genuinely great, and her art is amazing too. There's basically very little to dislike in TLC, and it's a much better prequel than the canonical one...plus it actually had a consistent release before it ended, and I think it's even continuing in Gaidens now. Great cast, great art, only a few bad moments. The biggest flaw it has is that the anime adaptation got cancelled early for unknown reasons, although said adaptation also completely changed the artstyle for unknown reasons. Read the manga.

Contrasting to this is the canon prequel, Next Dimension, which shows that Kurumada has very few ideas and will gladly reuse them as many times as he must. It's basically rereading the first series (more specifically, the Gold Saints) but with a nonsensical time travel plot thrown in, as well as being in full colour which caused it to be released whenever Kurumada feels like it.

Beyond this, there's been two non-canon anime, Omega and Soul of Gold. Omega has some very good ideas and neccesary changes to adapt the franchise to the modern age (not being horribly sexist, for one, but also turning the awful Steel Saint concept from the anime into something very interesting) but sadly it's pretty shoddily written most of the time, and the animation tends to be awful, plus the beautiful Cloths that are the selling point of the series were turned into spandex to save money, and then into jewelry-filled messes when they decided to appeal to the original fanbase. As the original, it hits its peak when it gets to the Gold Saints and then just loses all quality, but its worst moments are worse than the original. Not recommended. Seiya's second Sagittarus Cloth is an amazing design though.
Soul of Gold, meanwhile, is the series' usual Gold Saint shilling. That said, it's also Asgard shilling, which can only be a good thing. The animation is variable, but the plot is more interesting than Omega, the characters are likable (being the most popular characters of the franchise and all) and the new Cloths look genuinely great. Plus, it's short, so you can't really go wrong in watching it.

Other manga include Episode Gold and Saintia Sho but I know nothing about those. Most I know is that Episode Gold (and its spinoff, Episode G Assassin) look very ugly.

If I have to say what to watch...watch the original (or read the manga, both have their pros and cons, like the anime removing the ridiculous "EVERYONE IS MITSUMASA KIDO'S SON" bit but also removing important backstory moments) until the Gold Saints are beaten, watch Asgard, then stop. Maybe watch Soul of Gold afterwards. Definitely read The Lost Canvas, in fact, if you'll do only one series, read TLC. Teshimine is the best thing that happened to the franchise.

Avoid the CGI movie like the plague. It was terrible. Whoever decided that a series based on Greek mythology needed a giant robot as the final enemy?

Stairmaster posted:

Violence is good and people should get their asses beat more in super

I fully agree.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

RBX posted:

This is excellent and everything's on Crunchyroll too. Thanks

You're welcome!

Shindragon posted:

Oh man I never thought I would see someone else likes Saint Seyia, good post man I pretty much agree with all this actually.

Ask any 20-something (and likely 30-something) from Latin America and you will more likely than not get someone who likes Saint Seiya. It's a bit more divisive than Dragon Ball, but it was still one of the biggest series for us.

TFRazorsaw posted:

as the Guy With Weird Opinions, I thought Omega's first two arcs were pretty great.

The third made me drop it entirely.

I really liked Omega when it hit the Gold Saints, much like the original. Character writing was, to an extent, better, and at least the new Gold Saints being lame in comparison to the originals (with few exceptions like Genbu, Amor and especially Harbinger, by far the best Taurus) had an actual explanation. Everything leading to that was...not great, beyond a few episodes.

And then we hit the New Cloth Arc and everything goes straight to hell, with enemies that just refuse to get killed despite being nothing but fodder and nearly all of the main cast becoming heavily unimportant to shill the original five Saints. At least the high-ranking Pallasites were cool, and we got more Harbinger out of it.

Harbinger is the best Taurus.

Rudoku posted:

I've never read the manga, but I know they didn't take this out of the anime. Or does he have more kids than the Bronze Saints?

In the anime, everyone in the orphanage are his adoptive children. In the manga, he had 100 biological children, this includes every "orphan" he took.

It's never explained how he managed to impregnate ~98 women (as we know of four full siblings, Ikki/Shun and Seiya/Seika), it's never said that he is Zeus or something (which would explain a lot) and it's incredibly dumb.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 6, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

seiferguy posted:

I do appreciate Android 17 addressing the elephant in the room in every Dragon Ball fight I've watched, which is "why the hell doesn't anyone attack someone as they power up?" It especially makes sense when your universe is on the line.

It is addressed on occasion, such as Goku vs Freeza: King Kai outright orders Goku to attack Freeza while he's powering up to 100%, but Goku refuses because he wants to humilliate Freeza as hard as he can and he can only do that if he's allowed to fight at his full power.

IIRC someone does attempt to attack Cell when he's becoming Perfect too, but he's invncible during that time.

Super Saiyan transformations are instantaneous, unless the user willingly draws them out (such as Goku while fighting Buu, since he was trying to get some time), so there's no risk there.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's a cute idea and I like it a lot but it's based on a flat-out wrong assumption. Super Saiyan God is weaker than Blue. This isn't debatable, literally everything with both forms has said so.

Why Goku is using God again, and most importantly, how, I have no goddamn idea. I guess Toyotaro wasn't bullshitting when he had Goku use it in the manga after all, or maybe there's special circumstances at play, but that doesn't change that Blue is the strongest Super Saiyan level, at least to date (tied with Rosé but they're the same thing anyways, only recoloured due to Zamasu's aesthetics and status as a natural-born God).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

multijoe posted:

tbh Universe 10 really missed a trick by not bringing back Fused Zamasu like Universe 7 brought back Frieza

They couldn't. Beyond not having Dragon Balls (Zamasu had no idea what they were), there's just nothing left of Fused Zamasu to bring back, he was completely erased and in another timeline at that. He's super dead.

Besides, even if Gowasu did that somehow, as far as I can see, gods are not allowed in the tournament.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Shinjobi posted:

I do wonder if the voice actress's commitment to One Piece meant they could only dedicate so much time to DBS, though.

Considering both are Toei shows and likely recorded in the same place, I doubt it.

Krillin was KOed first and fast because he's Krillin, his job is to suffer for our amusement.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

OB_Juan posted:

Does Goku have some kind of plan based around demonstrating he can't keep his guard up, but he's secretly become super observant? Or is he really stupid? Both?

He's always been the same. He's too relaxed and constantly lets his guard down.

He's really stupid, basically. Whis called him out on it, but he didn't listen.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

sassassin posted:

I really want 17 to win it all using his special moves of 1) not waiting around for nonsense and 2) helping his teammates.

I guess it says a lot about how U7 is as a team and as individuals where these two points are genuinely rare amongst them.

At least Gohan is trying to get 2) working, but that's hard with Goku, Vegeta and Freeza around. 1) is just not happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

mabels big day posted:

what happened to the invincible combination of the big yellow bear and the robot? i guess Toei figured it was too invincible and made up a reason for them to be knocked apart so they could be defeated individually.

If I understood correctly, they got separated after Kale's rampage (it also separated the part of U7 that tried to go for teamwork, and basically made a mess of the whole tournament). They couldn't meet up before Gohan got to Botamo, so we don't get any more of the Invincible Bota Magetta, the strongest weapon of Team U6.