Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

when you're playing dragon ball z on Xbox live and this little kid keeps shrieking "ningen" into the microphone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I was totally right about Caulifla being the U6 version of Goku

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

watch Jiren just casually punt Goku off of the ring

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Veotax posted:

Because there is zero direction given to the VAs on Xenoverse. For the original release of Black he was just told 'do an evil Goku'. For the Rosé version he had a better idea of what the character was about.

Don't take the Xenoverse voices as too much of an indication of what characters will be dubbed like.

e;fb

he wasn't even told that the voice he was doing for Rosé was supposed to be the same character as Goku Black lmao. Nothing in Xenoverse should be taken as an indication for how Funimation will actually handle stuff, not even close

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Accents and mannerisms are a mental thing, not a physical thing. zamasu in gokus body would still act and speak like zamasu, just with Goku's body and voice

Black Goku in English is still voiced by Sean Schemmel. It's the same person's voice just acting in a distinctly non-Goku manner, which is how Nozawa handled it. It's just very rough because, again, Bamco gave the voice actors literally no direction or context for their lines

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mordaedil posted:

If she's not gay, she's kinda manipulative. She at least seems to be keenly aware of Kale's feelings with how she talked her down the first time. I reckon that is also why I think she intentionally snubbed her while fighting with Goku.

nah she was just having a saiyan moment, nobody interrupts a saiyan when they're fighting a strong person. not their gay girlfriend, not their son, not anyone

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

tbp posted:

its bad because this thread is obsessed with reddit or wherever else reads about draongball super. i dont read those places ever so i find it tedious to hear about how "the dbz fandom" does this or that or whatever nonstop. we can just enjoy the show the way we like, without being angry and making fun of the way other people like or dont like it. thanks and goodnight.

I think you're on the wrong website if you can't tolerate people making fun of bad internet communities.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

tbp posted:

you could turn that around and make fun of the stuff in here nonstop too cuz most of its goony as hell.

yea you can

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

kale is good and if you disagree then you are bad

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

my interpretation was that caulifla was already mentally prepared to become a super saiyan, she just needed to actually try and focus her energy or something

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

PMush Perfect posted:

The real question is who's U6 Trunks?

magetta

actually he doesn't exist yet because cabba has no kids

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm still getting over how he sounds like a generic hero instead of a fight-loving hillbilly in the English version, so... :shrug:

you should probably try watching a dubbed episode that was made less than a decade ago

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

:eyepop:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lmao, everybody got mad at 17 for interrupting the transformation sequence.

Super owns.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

fureeza is the best and you suck

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Godtube wasn't the same anymore anyway, it got taken over by sellouts, jerks that stole other people's martial arts tournaments and just added lovely commentary over them, and crazy teenagers who wouldn't stop talking about killing all the ningen

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I do not see any tweets here

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Carlosologist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loBCzSatnrk

Behold, another example of the amazing dub. I can't wait until it gets to the Tournament of Power, that will be great

man I almost forgot how bad this show used to look

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Goku was a kid when that casting was done

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Darko posted:

Goku is still a kid.

his mindset has nothing to do with his vocal chords

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

He's a space alien with a tail who turns into a gorilla when the moon is out. Arguing that the dude's vocal chords have to work a certain way is a lost cause,

I mean I've never seen an space alien who turns into a monkey on the full moon before so i dont really know how that would work if one existed, so sure I could believe whatever dragon ball tells me about that
but I sure as hell know how my own vocal chords work and it's not like that!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Covok posted:

So, instead of just saying Monaka like the human name, they're trying to make is sound different by saying it weird.

what are you talking about

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Firstborn posted:

Episode 21:
Frieza: "The Galactic Patrol and one Namekian, eh?"
Frieza: "A Galactic Patrolman and a ragtag group of misfits, at least there is variety!"

Frieza: "Oh, I remember you... I killed you before."
Frieza: "Ohlookthelittlebaldone I distinctly remember killingyouonNamek thatwasagreatdealoffun" (has to ramble to match lips)

Frieza: "So, you've been revived by the dragon balls, too. Well no matter how many times you return, I'll kill you each and every time."
Frieza: "It seems the dragon balls can ressurrect the powerful and the pathetic, well I don't care how many times you come back, it only affords me the opportunity to end your life in ever more brutal and creative ways."

Like it's the same thing, but ... unnecessary. Is it more characterization? Maybe? When you combine it all together Friezaistalkinginonelongrun-onsentencehahahawhenisgokugettingherethesemonkeys let's jam as much of "effeminate fancypants ruler"(I guess because of his colored lips) into his dialogue as possible. If you like the second quotes in this example it's FINE, but it doesn't sound very good to my ears.

what you're seeing here is this strange phenomena called good writing that has style instead of a stiff direct translation of a language that doesn't have any of the same conventions as English

EDIT: To put it less sarcastically, yes the lines are different because they HAVE to be. You can't keep them the exact same because Japanese does not directly translate to English. If you kept the lines the "same" they would still be different from how they were supposed to come across in the Japanese version. The best thing to do is to capture the spirit of the original in a way that comes across well in English, which is what Funimation does.

Augus fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Aug 25, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Alan_Shore posted:

Ah yes, that "good writing"

Edit: The "spirit" of the original is to have Vegeta say "babe"?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Alan_Shore posted:

I can't ever imagine you'd watch the original DBS dub and think Vegeta would ever say "babe". Talk about about a fundamental misunderstanding of the character.

*sub note: fundamental means you done goofed son*

DBS is full of Vegeta doing stuff that Vegeta "would never do"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Oh yeah I forgot to mention itt how amazing this was

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

toriyama is a human being!?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Skinty McEdger posted:

A whole lot of people haven't picked up on the pride troopers having been bad guys all along, despite you know every single one of them being a massive prick in their fights.

Everybody is a prick during fights

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Matthew Mercer has been cast as Hit in the dub, which is kind of funny considering he also played Jotaro.

Excellent

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I guess people don't remember the time a plot point in this series was that being big and muscular doesn't make you a better fighter and can actually be a disadvantage.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

"noodle arms"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

sassassin posted:

These caricatures of bodybuilders you've imagined to laugh at didn't pay close attention to the show.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

*bursts into thread, covered in dirt and debris, panting loudly*
DID SOMEONE loving SAY TEAMFOURSTAR? I DON'T THINK TEAMFOURSTAR IS VERY FUNNY!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dragon Ball is bad

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The bad is coming from inside the thread

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

seiferguy posted:

One dimensional chess is checkers, ya'all.

that's still two dimensions

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Skinty McEdger posted:

I'm actually pretty amused that the "Goku did nothing wrong" guy just got banned for being a nazi apologist.

*looks at probated post*
:yikes:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Blue Star posted:

Lame:
Hit (he looks so boring)

GET OUTTA HERE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The monkey's paw curls a digit as

"Android 21 is described as a busty scientist with glasses and long bushy hair"

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/09/16/dragon-ball-fighterz-adds-new-original-female-character-android-21-plus-tien-shinhan-yamcha/

e:
scans have been put up

...what?