Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

i love the poo poo out of my t440s, the keyboard is good and it just works

:yossame: but I replaced the craptacular touchpad with the one from the t450s that has physical buttons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

now that i have a functional razer it's not bad, op. just be sure to buy it from a physical store so you can return it 50 times until you finally get a good one

:cripes: i thought you gave up after the second one, lmao

op just get a used business laptop off ebay there's shitloads of corporate lease returns in great condition for cheap

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

SO DEMANDING posted:

:cripes: i thought you gave up after the second one, lmao

op just get a used business laptop off ebay there's shitloads of corporate lease returns in great condition for cheap

or locally through CL/ kijiji / whatever. ime the best deals are government surplus auctions, it's real cool to be able to get something like an x200 for ~$30, usually the bottom end for any piece of poo poo that works is around $50

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 21, 2017

TOPS-420
Feb 13, 2012

if you want to go full rms theres only one choice

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Rex-Goliath posted:

Thanks for your help, guys. I'm gonna keep digging. I'll find the Mines of Moria and I'll just walk to the surface.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
everything ive read about system76 on hn says theyre unfortunately pieces of poo poo

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

pram posted:

everything ive read about system76 on hn says theyre unfortunately pieces of poo poo

mlyp

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I've heard similar. system76 doesn't build the machines, it comes as a white box that you can buy a bunch of other places and they throw an ssd and wireless in. battery life is also supposedly really bad.

just get a MacBook Pro.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRpnV0WUkaU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i have a two year warranty on it and trip #3 was on the way to the airport anyways. this one seems to be working fine as far as i can tell

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Punkbob posted:

I've heard similar. system76 doesn't build the machines, it comes as a white box that you can buy a bunch of other places and they throw an ssd and wireless in. battery life is also supposedly really bad.

just get a MacBook Pro.

touchbar is bad

bad touch

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
get a used Titanium PowerBook G4 and run Mac OS 9.2.2

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

maskenfreiheit posted:

will that run linux real good

im goin full stallman, ice ice weasel baby

havent you been reading the xps15 thread

linux is fantastic on the xps/precision series, theres even support for flashing bios via fwupd

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

xps 9560 still needs an "acpi_osi" kernel arg to get optimus working, but that's it (wrote about it in the other thread)

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

you can also update the mainboard's thunderbolt firmware in linux, but if you have a thunderbolt dock that needs updating you might need windows (not sure about this). same with the internal toshiba nvme drives. (I have a live usb windows 8 disk for when you need such fw updates, it's rare though. I didnt need any windows env on the newest 9560 i tried to get everything updated...)

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

every time i reply to a thread in yospos with linux minutia, all discussion immediatly schreeches to a halt

i have been gifted with the thread killer ability

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
i use a c. 2005 toshiba satellite that I think cost $35, with windows 10 and linux the two best free operating systems and it's fine

maybe see if you can find a toshiba satellite from 2005, op

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

eschaton posted:

get a used Titanium PowerBook G4 and run Mac OS 9.2.2

i did this and it rules :cool:

TOPS-420
Feb 13, 2012

eschaton posted:

get a used PowerBook 170 and run System 6.0.8

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
System 6 ain't all it's cracked up to be

though it is goddamn fast

a PowerBook 540c or PowerBook Duo 280c with 36MB RAM and Mac OS 7.6.1 is actually pretty goddamn nice

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

carry on then posted:

i did this and it rules :cool:

:cheers:

there should be a new MacSSH release soon that uses mbedTLS to support modern crypto from classic Macs

hopefully libssh2 and libcurl will also be easy to port

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Tankakern posted:

every time i reply to a thread in yospos with linux minutia, all discussion immediatly schreeches to a halt

i have been gifted with the thread killer ability

i don't actually read sh/sc but will take a stroll over i guess - thanks!

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
is debian still good?

i heard they hosed up ubuntu with ads and poo poo

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it was never good

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

maskenfreiheit posted:

i don't actually read sh/sc but will take a stroll over i guess - thanks!

guess this is a burn?

i meant this thread, properly situated in yospos

RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

Mind your manners when talking to the king!

maskenfreiheit posted:

im goin full stallman, ice ice weasel baby

In that case, see: https://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/endorsement/respects-your-freedom

I'm currently posting from a Librebooted refurbished Thinkpad x200 running Debian GNU/Linux. Suits my needs.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Tankakern posted:

guess this is a burn?

i meant this thread, properly situated in yospos

niceee thanks

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

RobobTheGreat posted:

In that case, see: https://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/endorsement/respects-your-freedom

I'm currently posting from a Librebooted refurbished Thinkpad x200 running Debian GNU/Linux. Suits my needs.

is lenovo still good? I thought the quality dropped

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_6AFCg4lRw

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

when my last windows laptop croaked i got a 2014 macbook air and it's pretty good

burning swine
May 26, 2004

seconding xps15, seems to check all your boxes except maybe one

the battery is user replaceable, but not swappable (e.g. pull another one out of your bag and pop it in). It's internal but there are no special screws or glue or spudgers involved.

the good news is its a 98 watt hour battery so it's gonna run for a long-rear end time

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

maskenfreiheit posted:

is lenovo still good? I thought the quality dropped

he's posting from a lenovo from the dawn of time, that's the gimmick. the x200 with a core 2 duo or whatever was the last model that could be "truly free"

modern lenovos are a pretty mixed bag. the cheap ones are plain garbage. relatively few of them, cheap or expensive, are "certified for linux" :smith:

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

modern lenovos are a pretty mixed bag. the cheap ones are plain garbage. relatively few of them, cheap or expensive, are "certified for linux" :smith:

thinkpad t and x series work very well out of the box with linux, but those aren't the cheapo lines. one of the nice things about the thinkpads is that parts are easy to get and lenovo makes the teardown guides freely available, so they're easy to repair and upgrade.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

he's posting from a lenovo from the dawn of time, that's the gimmick. the x200 with a core 2 duo or whatever was the last model that could be "truly free"

a Linux poster on medium summed it up pretty well: Lenovo laptop models are made by different teams who never communicate. which is why you (apparently) have the fantastic t430, but amazingly terrible 440

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

a Linux poster on medium summed it up pretty well: Lenovo laptop models are made by different teams who never communicate. which is why you (apparently) have the fantastic t430, but amazingly terrible 440

the only irredeemably terrible thing about the t440 was the trackpad, which they fixed on the t450 and is drop-in compatible with the t440. the rest is just old school thinkpad grognards bitching that anything changed at all and people who cheaped out and didn't get the nice IPS panel

RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

Mind your manners when talking to the king!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

right. this lenovo was new in '08 or '09, and does indeed run an intel core 2. unfortunately if you want to go "full stallman" you have to live with old hardware. i bought it to idealistically "vote with my dollars" in favor of "truly free" laptops.

its nonetheless (mostly) needs-suiting, except for when it isn't, which is which is why i have my other computer which runs run the last good windows, windows 7.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

seconding xps15, seems to check all your boxes except maybe one

the battery is user replaceable, but not swappable (e.g. pull another one out of your bag and pop it in). It's internal but there are no special screws or glue or spudgers involved.

the good news is its a 98 watt hour battery so it's gonna run for a long-rear end time

meh i'll compromise on that since it's at least user replacable

RobobTheGreat posted:

right. this lenovo was new in '08 or '09, and does indeed run an intel core 2. unfortunately if you want to go "full stallman" you have to live with old hardware. i bought it to idealistically "vote with my dollars" in favor of "truly free" laptops.

its nonetheless (mostly) needs-suiting, except for when it isn't, which is which is why i have my other computer which runs run the last good windows, windows 7.

by full stallman i more mean running debian and geting flamed for using tor (which is good!!!!)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

RobobTheGreat posted:

which runs run the last good windows, windows 7.

Ur a loving retard lol

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

"I have this laptop and OS to stay truly free, and also this closed source shitmess that I've convinced myself is good"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Smythe posted:

Ur a loving retard lol

actually he is correct

• Locked thread