Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Bistromatic posted:

I did not pay enough attention to say whether it was the same in Uprising or not but i noticed that during closer views all the armour plates on Gipsy Danger jiggle a little bit with every major movement, as if they're mounted on shock absorbers. Which makes a lot of sense if you expect to be punched by godzilla. It's another little thing that adds to the sense of scale and weight.

Yes, and this was the case with all the Jaegers in PR1, and one of the nicer touches of realism that's not nearly as evident in the sequel. It's not even a shock absorber thing, it's simply evidence that the armor plates are not the same piece of metal as what they're mounted to, because any mounting / binding would flex and move under high force. The argument would probably be technological development blah blah, but whatever the rationale, it contributes to the Power Ranger aesthetic in Uprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I don't know gently caress all about film, but something I noticed is the way the first is shot really emphasises the scale and power of both the Jaegers and Kaiju. A lot of low angles and they fill the frames, etc. There was none of that in the second which really took away from the huge feeling of them in the first.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Habibi posted:

Yes, and this was the case with all the Jaegers in PR1, and one of the nicer touches of realism that's not nearly as evident in the sequel. It's not even a shock absorber thing, it's simply evidence that the armor plates are not the same piece of metal as what they're mounted to, because any mounting / binding would flex and move under high force. The argument would probably be technological development blah blah, but whatever the rationale, it contributes to the Power Ranger aesthetic in Uprising.

Probably designed that way for ease of repair, too. You don't have to dismantle the entire Jaeger's structure when you can simply pop off sections of the hull to replace damaged armor or work on underlying structure.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I just loved how plates and struts would lock into place when the jaegers were doing something stressful like lifting a kaiju over their heads or bracing for an impact, those little touches really sold the incredible feats of engineering on display.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Man I really though Pacific Rim needed more kids and Chinese actors who can’t speak English to pander to the Chinese domestic market. The movie provided everything I wanted!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Finally got around to seeing it, and yeah, quite a step down from the first one. On the bright side I'll say that the parts involving the humans were alright, Boyega made for a much better protagonist than whatshisface in part one. Borman and Day were fun as usual, and I didn't even mind the young girl sidekick.

But on the robot side of things, whoof. This part basically exemplifies my issues with the fights:
https://i.imgur.com/wvf43p7.mp4

You have this giant war machine that's supposed to weigh several thousand tons, and yet a simple punch easily propels it like fifty meters into the air. And it somehow doesn't tear its head right off in the process. That also leads into the second issue right afterwards: Obsidian Fury unfolds its fancy forearm-mounted blades, hits Gipsy Avenger right in the head with them, and... it does basically nothing. PR1 always made a point of showing the effect of major hits. Armor plates got cracked, pieces flew about, there were small secondary explosions, that sort of thing. In PRU, there's almost nothing of that. At most you get to see some superficial scuff-marks. It runs into the same issue that superhero movies tend to have: A character can happily take ten punches in a row with no visible effect, but punch #11 is suddenly the one that knocks them right out.

Hell, that exact thing happens between Gipsy Avenger and Obsidian Fury: In the first fight GA does its whole rocket-elbow thing and hits OF right in the chest. OF flies like 200 metres backwards, but otherwise shows no signs of damage at all. But then in their second encounter, GA punches right through OF's entire chest front to back without so much as a wind-up. When a Jäger gets thrown through half a dozen buildings, it might come out the other end being entirely fine or completely dismembered, there's no telling which. There's no real weight or impact to anything, because the viewer has no idea what to expect until the consequences are explicitly shown after the fact.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 21, 2018

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

go watch gipsy danger against leatherback. i think gipsy lands a grand total of like 9 hits (not counting the plasma cannon shots)
leatherback stumbles and staggers after each one because they are clearly doing some serious damage and then loses its poo poo and just blindly charges after getting smashed around the face with 40 foot containers
you knew it was doing some major damage because they showed this giant monster barely able to stay on its feet from just a few good hits

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
PR1 isn't perfect in that regard, Typhoon lands several hits with its chainsaw hands against Otachi that trail blood and leave visible wounds on Otachi, but they never seem to bleed or otherwise be open wounds.

That opening shot of the Hong Kong battle is what I wish PR2 had done more of - the battle smoothly transitioning from combatant to combatant with the music changing with it. The PR1 soundtrack is on my regular listening list, and during the Hong Kong battle track I can tell from audio cues alone when it's Typhoon fighting, when Cherno charges in, when Striker's beating down Otachi, when the kaiju have the upper hand, when Gypsy arrives.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Perestroika posted:

Finally got around to seeing it, and yeah, quite a step down from the first one. On the bright side I'll say that the parts involving the humans were alright, Boyega made for a much better protagonist than whatshisface in part one. Borman and Day were fun as usual, and I didn't even mind the young girl sidekick.

But on the robot side of things, whoof. This part basically exemplifies my issues with the fights:
https://i.imgur.com/wvf43p7.mp4
That uppercut against the building manages to have less weight than the old fashioned rubber suit fights :v:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I like the little mannerisms they gave the Jagers in PR1 that indicated there were humans forming them- Crimson Typhoon shaking its head when pulling itself out of the water, Cherno loosening up its wrists before fighting, Gypsy raising its head before it checks to make sure Leatherback is dead, etc.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This movie is just pure trash all around. Maybe good for the first 5 minutes or so introducing the new world but gently caress does it slog on afterwards. Things jump around with no weight, both the fights and the story beats, and its just loving boring.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bistromatic posted:

That uppercut against the building manages to have less weight than the old fashioned rubber suit fights :v:

Lmao, sure thing dude. On another note I can't believe Del Toro oversaw the creation of yet another fascist propaganda peace! Ugh, and I can't believe there were chinese people in this movie, ulterior motives?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Not anywhere as good as the first one, but Boyega is really fun. The fights lack a lot of the scale and sense of weight the first one did, but I wouldn't call it trash. It was entertaining for the most part, and Charlie Day's heel turn was hilarious.

Like if the first one was a 8.5/10 for me this is like a 5.5 or a 6/10. The kid angle wasn't as terrible as I feared it could have been.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
^ the kid was actually pretty well done. I liked how the guy asks her if she built scrapper herself and she says “What do you think?” and instead of saying “No?” they just move on.

It’s amazing how much your expectations can influence your enjoyment of a film. My expectations were so low that I actually really enjoyed this. Still prefer the first one, but this one had its moments. I liked how in the big royal rumble 4 vs 3 fight the perspective kept changing and you caught glimpses of the other bots and kaiju in the background.

For some reason the only things that annoyed me were the couple of parts where they were like “We don’t have time!!” to Intercept the 3 kaiju or fetch the last booster but they actually had a shitload time, enough to set up all the rockets etc. but I guess the rule of cool applies a lot in this film.

Loved that picture of the Cherno pilot in the stupid dead pilots memorial thing. Would be a badass avatar.

Red Rox fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 19, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Perestroika posted:

You have this giant war machine that's supposed to weigh several thousand tons, and yet a simple punch easily propels it like fifty meters into the air. And it somehow doesn't tear its head right off in the process.

The rockets in the boots automatically engaged precisely to prevent that from happening!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
This movie was very bland and not very good.

I only thought PR1 was "ok" mostly because of the style and the way they presented the robots and the fighting (Super heavy crazy weights crashing into eachother)

However PR2 didn't even have this. There was no style in PR2 and the fights sucked and a lot of the CGI sucked and while I actually didn't mind the main character there was still very little to him or any of the others

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012
I can accept a lot of fantastical elements in my popcorn movies but its the more mundane things that tend to frustrate me.

Case in point, I finally watched this over the weekend and you know what almost made me switch it off? It was bad enough pretending that a 12 year old built a multi ton robot in a shed, that was ridiculous but hey, maybe that shed had a crane and she did it with help over a number of years.

But then we have an attack and an internationally funded military base destroyed, including the humongous and technologically advanced skyscraper sized robots deployed there. And there is another imminent threat! So what do we do!

We get the 12 year old girl and her teenage friends to get stuck in and rebuild the incredibly heavy and complicated robots. In a matter of hours.

gently caress. Right. Off.

Imagine 3 aircraft carriers sitting damaged on a beach, I don't care how precocious a mechanic you are the only way those behemoths are getting repaired and back in the water is with a massive project team of qualified technicians, and these Jaegers would be an order of magnitude more complicated than simple aircraft carriers.

The first film knew this, it made clear that there were thousands of people in the background necessary to build the drat things and then get them to the battlefield. You didn't see Raleigh putting an arm back onto Gypsy, or the Aussies out jump starting Stryker Eureka. This film? Nah, token female love interest mechanic and a few plucky kids are all you need to cut a flail weighing thousands of tonnes from a crushed robot and bolt it onto a different one.

There are a lot of things wrong with this stupid film, I picked this one to whinge about because it offends my profession.

bucketybuck fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 16, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah the lack of massive support staff around the Jaegers this time around was super disappointing. The first suit up sequence in the first movie is loving amazing. It’s only a couple of minutes long but it showed just how much work it took just to get he pilots in place.

EDIT: seriously this kicks so much rear end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pn6NgaX8I0

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 16, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah the lack of massive support staff around the Jaegers this time around was super disappointing. The first suit up sequence in the first movie is loving amazing. It’s only a couple of minutes long but it showed just how much work it took just to get he pilots in place.

EDIT: seriously this kicks so much rear end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pn6NgaX8I0

I think another part of it is how shiny and clean everything looks in Uprising. In that clip? Everything has a beaten, weathered look. It's immediately obvious that the mechs and pilots have seen lots of use and abuse, and the hangar has a smokey, oily look of a military garage or hangar in active use. Uprising on the other hand looks incredibly sterile and artificial.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Just watched this last night. I enjoyed it, I think whatever areas are worse than the original are mostly balanced out by getting Boyega in there. The fights are less interesting to look at but the non-special effects scenes are actually decent when Boyega's in them. And he's the lead, so yea I think he goes a long way towards making the movie rewatchable trash instead of just boring forgettable trash.

The one thing that made me roll my eyes more than anything else though was this idea that the kaiju from the first film were all on route to Mt. Fuji. With all of the analysis that we're shown and the huge government effort to study and take down the kaiju, it's a bit too ridiculous to me that this would've gone over their heads.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Basebf555 posted:

The one thing that made me roll my eyes more than anything else though was this idea that the kaiju from the first film were all on route to Mt. Fuji. With all of the analysis that we're shown and the huge government effort to study and take down the kaiju, it's a bit too ridiculous to me that this would've gone over their heads.

It doesn't make a lick of sense. I guess those kaiju that exited the breach and then headed away from Japan and ended up in places like Alaska and Sydney wanted to do some site seeing before hunkering down to the job they were meant to be doing?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Admit it though, dropping a jaeger on a kaiju from orbit was pretty boss.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Like I said, I enjoyed the movie overall. I didn't find the kaiju design in the first movie to be all that great, so I was fine with most of this one being jaeger vs. jaeger. And when the kaiju finally do show up, the way they fuse together and then you get that shot of the behemoth rising above the entire city was a really cool spectacle.

Sure I could list a bunch of problems the movie has but there's enough good stuff in there that I couldn't really hate it or even dislike it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's insulting to anyone watching it. Trash movie and not worth anyone's time. Rampage is more enjoyable.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

It's insulting to anyone watching it. Trash movie and not worth anyone's time. Rampage is more enjoyable.

Oh the movie starring The Rock was better than the movie not starring The Rock? What a revelation.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
It was nice to see Boyega in a better role than his Star Wars character. I thought it was just a change of plans after they closed the portal to blow up the mountain. The newt is evil plot was told long ago so there wasn't much of a surprise. Fun movie, bring on the third.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

It was nice to see Boyega in a better role than his Star Wars character. I thought it was just a change of plans after they closed the portal to blow up the mountain. The newt is evil plot was told long ago so there wasn't much of a surprise. Fun movie, bring on the third.

Nope, it's explained that the trajectory of all the previous kaiju intersected with Mt. Fuji as well. It goes along with Eastwood's whole "you can't say you've defeated an enemy if you don't know it's objective" thing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Basebf555 posted:

Oh the movie starring The Rock was better than the movie not starring The Rock? What a revelation.

Skyscraper looks like hot garbage so he's not gold.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

Skyscraper looks like hot garbage so he's not gold.

I bet it turns out to not actually be hot garbage though. But go ahead and bet against The Rock, that went really well for those of us who assumed Jumanji and Rampage would be terrible. I learned my lesson.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Rampage's boss monster kaiju design was awesome. Like, alligators and boars are both extremely badass, and their mashup monster is ULTRA BADASS.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think the teenagers did more damage to the city than the Kaiju. Theres a reason you engage from the Miracle Mile or beyond.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I finally watched it and thought it was ok. It’s a shame there likely won’t be a third one, but if they’re not going to have del toro direct and go all in not sure if I want to see a third one anyway.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The DIY robot built by a 12 year old in a derelict shed being able to survive a drop from orbit was incredibly stupid.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

bucketybuck posted:

The DIY robot built by a 12 year old in a derelict shed being able to survive a drop from orbit was incredibly stupid.

As opposed to the entire concept of giant bipedal combat robots in general, let alone ones that magically need multiple brains and spend 3/4s of the movie not using their super powerful sword attack for no reason.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Erotic Wakes posted:

As opposed to the entire concept of giant bipedal combat robots in general, let alone ones that magically need multiple brains and spend 3/4s of the movie not using their super powerful sword attack for no reason.

The first movie treated them reasonably seriously in-setting. Yes the concept is absurd, but the movie treated them seriously. These were not anime mecha holding guns in their hands and ninja flipping around town, these were huge, lumbering machines that could barely be controlled.

PR2 decided to be stupid and anime.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

Cythereal posted:

The first movie treated them reasonably seriously in-setting. Yes the concept is absurd, but the movie treated them seriously. These were not anime mecha holding guns in their hands and ninja flipping around town, these were huge, lumbering machines that could barely be controlled.

PR2 decided to be stupid and anime.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

that moment was sick as gently caress

also i love the way that fight is basically two six year olds fighting

"well i spit acid all over your face"
"well i dodge it and pull your acid sack out"
"well i pull out my secret wings and fly you up into the sky"
"well i use my secret sword and cut you in half" :smug:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
While it is obvious they should have used the sword from the beginning, busting it out like this felt pretty badass.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Basebf555 posted:

Nope, it's explained that the trajectory of all the previous kaiju intersected with Mt. Fuji as well. It goes along with Eastwood's whole "you can't say you've defeated an enemy if you don't know it's objective" thing.

I thought it was the most common target if Kaiju attacks unless I am misremembering. It would make sense with the other target being locations the Kaiju scouted looking for other sites like Mt. Fuji.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

OptimusShr posted:

I thought it was the most common target if Kaiju attacks unless I am misremembering. It would make sense with the other target being locations the Kaiju scouted looking for other sites like Mt. Fuji.

Going by the movie's own map of kaiju attacks... no, not at all, Hong Kong and Manila were the most frequently attacked cities. Tokyo was only attacked once.

• Locked thread