Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

RBA Starblade posted:

They should go the Zone of the Enders route and make the cockpit literal.

Yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ufarn posted:

DeKnight is an amazing director, but I wonder how much he's involved screenwriting and VFX direction.

Maybe we also just need a real weeb to do some proper anime fighting.

The ideal scenario would probably be DeKnight directing and supervising screenplay while Gareth Edwards did cinematography and VFX directon.

While he wasn't available for this movie due to Rogue One, I wonder why he his Director calendar is empty after Rogue One, and why hasn't been announced as part of any other Mecha/Kaiju project.

Hopefully he's working on something.

DeKnight directed Netflix Daredevil season 1, right? I want the hallway fight, only with a mech vs a bunch of kaiju.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cythereal posted:

DeKnight directed Netflix Daredevil season 1, right? I want the hallway fight, only with a mech vs a bunch of kaiju.

Does Tokyo have a Manhattan?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Calaveron posted:

Kid Icarus Uprising

Well, that was a lot of cliches, it just took the piss out of itself and had good gameplay.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

The title has me worried it'll mostly be angsty mechs fighting each other with a kaiju or two showing up at the end to help everyone put their differences aside.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Dinosaurs! posted:

The title has me worried it'll mostly be angsty mechs fighting each other with a kaiju or two showing up at the end to help everyone put their differences aside.

A Robot Jox remake? I'm down.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Wild Horses posted:

Shin Godzilla versus Legendary Godzilla

from your lips to god(zilla)'s ears

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

The Jaeger designs look pretty boring, but I hope they make the Kaijus scary as gently caress this time.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Milky Moor posted:

Oh, I know. My phrasing was bad.

I mean, why did they make Athena so feminine? All the other ones are hulking brutes, then there's this one with an obvious female shape. Even the way it's standing screams 'it's the female Power Ranger' of the group compared to the others.

As usual, blame Go Nagai for this one

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Milky Moor posted:

Oh, I know. My phrasing was bad.

I mean, why did they make Athena so feminine? All the other ones are hulking brutes, then there's this one with an obvious female shape. Even the way it's standing screams 'it's the female Power Ranger' of the group compared to the others.

On the website it says that it (she?) fights with two swords and has a highly acrobatic style compared to the other jaegers' heavy brawling approach, so there's that. But really

Zzulu posted:

Because anime

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Acrobatic Jaeger gonna fuse with the brawliest Jaeger and be the most dangerous one. Just watch.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I wanna see more ground-level perspective scenes of the kaiju and jaeger fights like Mako's whole flashback thing and the News clips.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
At least it's fitting, Athena being the goddess of defensive warfare, wisdom and martial skill. If something of an overused motif.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Milky Moor posted:

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what GDT and the writers said about any prospective PR2 sequels.

Uprising does not have GDT or the original writers.

edit: lol it doesn't even have the original composer

Can't wait to hear the new composers original bland poo poo score.

What is even the point of this movie?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

MY COCK RAGES ON, that's the point of this movie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

MY COCK RAGES ON, that's the point of this movie

Okay but this won't be playing in the background so who cares?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH_6iFYiryY

Goddamn, they didn't really want anyone back from the creative team. More Charlie Day and Burn Gorman is good, and I do like John Boyega. But I wish he wasn't playing the son of the only black dude in the first movie.

I'm legit disappointed about this. I didn't bother to look it up until that post, but I'm just baffled as to why it's being made at all, considering all the good things about the first came from the very people who have nothing to do with this.

Bonus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhE42Noj1Lw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyNuFCG2dVE

:black101:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Inescapable Duck posted:

'Uprising' is one of those subtitles that lets you know a movie, game or tie-in book is going to be as generic as it can possibly get.

Where else has it be used other than here and kid icarus

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 252 days!
To be honest, I'm fine with the original writer going; but no del Toro, no sale.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

CelticPredator posted:

After the sale of Legendary to Chinese Wanda Group for $3.5 billion,[21] observers noted an increased likelihood of Pacific Rim 2’s production being revitalized because the first film was so successful in China.[22]

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Milky Moor posted:

After the sale of Legendary to Chinese Wanda Group for $3.5 billion,[21] observers noted an increased likelihood of Pacific Rim 2’s production being revitalized because the first film was so successful in China.[22]

I guess that explains why they ditched Rinko Kikuchi for the sequel. :(

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I bet you the plot will be that after beating the kaiju the scientists use Charlie days research to clone kaiju brain tissue to act as the second half of a drift so they only need one pilot, and these stupid new designs are all a propaganda machine that turns evil when the kaiju brains psychically link and take over the suits, so old school double pilot Jaegers are pulled out of storage to destroy the new robots.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

McSpanky posted:

I guess that explains why they ditched Rinko Kikuchi for the sequel. :(

IMDB says she is in the sequel

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Trailers always lie.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I thought Del Toro was still a producer?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Milky Moor posted:

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what GDT and the writers said about any prospective PR2 sequels.

Uprising does not have GDT or the original writers.

edit: lol it doesn't even have the original composer

What the heck?

And echoing the Pacific Rim theme was all kinds of loving awesome.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Of the new designs Bracer Phoenix and Guardian Bravo are the only ones that have any personality to them. Guardian Bravo pretty much reminds me of the Gouf with its electro whip, while Phoenix has a nice brawler look. They still don't hold a candle to the original designs. Give me more weird stuff like Tacit Ronin or Romeo Blue than wannabe hulkbuster and iron man suits.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Seriously did none of you watch Spartacus? I'm bummed that Del Toro is gone but DeKnight fuckin' owns like hell so I'm hype regardless

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta

kanonvandekempen posted:

If you don't like it by the end of the first season I don't think it's the show for you to be honest.

I liked it. It started kinda slow, but by end of season 1 it was nuts!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I was shooting the breeze with the stylist cutting my hair a few weeks ago and somehow the first movie came up. We agreed it was dumb and trashy, but it had giant robots punching giant monsters so it's still rad as Hell. Though I disliked the fact the Russians and Chinese pilots were basically an afterthought and existed solely to get chumped in the harbor fight.

Agree that these new designs seem kind of 'meh'. Since there was that bigass 'Jaeger graveyard' in the first movie, I was expecting a sequel to have the Jaeger restoration project keep salvaging older ones 'just in case' or whatever. Though I suppose if they need some 'foreign cannon fodder pilots' they can easily write the backstory 'I used to co-pilot Matador Fury before it got destroyed'. (The amount of Jaeger concepts made up seem kind of cool)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
We'll see how many of those mechs actually play a part in the story - promotional art for the first movie hyped up Coyote Tango as one of the mechs of the movie, but it only appeared stationary in flashbacks and was never named.

Pacific Rim is all over the place, watching it with veteran eyes. There's moments of genuinely great drama and suspense, like Mako's flashback to her childhood. There's good clean cheesy action fun, like everything with the Aussie pilots after Striker's disabled. There's fun mech-on-monster action in Hong Kong, though there's maybe less than there could have been. And a movie with a huge message about putting aside differences and working together is undercut by the girl character falling unconscious and being literally jettisoned for the final act as the personality-less male lead proclaims that he can finish this by himself (from a lack of oxygen no less, when the much smaller Mako should have been the one doing okay while Hunks McGee was unconscious). There's genuine pathos from Pentecost's relationship with Mako, and Aussie Dad watching Aussie Son go off on a suicide mission.

But it just doesn't come together very well, I feel. Hunks McGee, the ostensible lead, has no personality and sleepwalks his part while everyone else gets some real development, or just a couple of fun personality notes to hang their hat on. McGee's character and his arc don't interest me, and there's little else stringing everything together.

What I feel lets down the action in particular is the constant cutting between pilots and mechs during action scenes. It messes up the flow of the fights, hard. Let the pilots be the voice of the mech, and let the mechs have some personality - things like Typhoon shaking its head after its first ambush, Cherno's little "Bring it!" fist pounding. It's the same kind of mistake I think the Transformers franchise keeps making, establishing human characters and human stakes is important to make us care about why the robots are fighting, but there really is a time to put the humans away and give us the hot epic sci-fi violence we came here to see.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
PR has a whole heap of weirdness. The big thing I always think of is the scene where Chuck is talking with Pentecost prior to the final mission. The scene opens with them walking down the hallway with Chuck saying stuff but it is clearly dubbed over and his mouth isn't moving at all.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Seriously did none of you watch Spartacus? I'm bummed that Del Toro is gone but DeKnight fuckin' owns like hell so I'm hype regardless

Spartacus is so so good and I will watch stuff Jai Courtney is in because of his role as Varro.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

That teaser was lame, something they just whipped up for Comic Con at the last second. Here's to hoping all those generic jaegars get chumped in the first 20 minutes.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I found PR to be pretty awful the first time I watched it. For some reason, the plot exposition didn't feel as long and the fight scenes seemed long than they were the second time I watched it, though.

You probably don't think much about pacing and plot mechanics on the second time so that could be it.

Not that I'd try to see if it works with End of Evangelion.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ufarn posted:

Not that I'd try to see if it works with End of Evangelion.

Yeah, 98% of runtime is "Life sucks everyone is going to die" and 2% mechs ripping each other apart before the world goes up in a biblical flood of Tang.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I guess I'm one of the few that thought the first one was awesome from beginning to end? :shrug:

It's funny though that when it came out I thought it should have been bigger deal than the reception it got. Now years later there's a sequel incoming and I'm kind of "meh" on it. I do hope when they are start releasing more info on it I'll get hyped again.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Literally the only way there will be any hype is if they bring Cherno Alpha back somehow and have it show up in one of the climactic fights to bail the new poo poo Jaegers out.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I would settle for Cherno Alpha lite, where it's a different jaegar just suplexing kaiju and dropping elbows on them and just punching them to death

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
yeah the movies need more wrestling tbh and less guns and stuff

like the completely superfluous rocket battery on the leg (?) of one of them. what's that really going to do, is that really necessary?
If you want a rocket weapon on a mech, you make that thing central to the design, put a huge silo in the spine of the robot and make a massive missile to go inside it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wild Horses posted:

yeah the movies need more wrestling tbh and less guns and stuff

like the completely superfluous rocket battery on the leg (?) of one of them. what's that really going to do, is that really necessary?
If you want a rocket weapon on a mech, you make that thing central to the design, put a huge silo in the spine of the robot and make a massive missile to go inside it

Alternately go the Mad Cat route and alpha strike the giant monster to death.

• Locked thread