Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

Like, insisting that someone with very little income save 10% of what they earn can really gently caress that person over if they take it to heart.

Or, say, insisting that someone having financial issues tithe 10% of their money to a church.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Paradoxish posted:

Good financial advice is usually pretty specific to an individual's particular situation. If you're reasonably well off then you can probably afford to take general purpose advice and make it work, but even otherwise good advice can be actively harmful to someone that's living paycheck to paycheck or struggling to pay their bills. Like, insisting that someone with very little income save 10% of what they earn can really gently caress that person over if they take it to heart.
Yeah I'm not trying to defend Ramsey's specific advice, donating money when you're barely staying afloat is real dumb. But if you read personal finance help threads (or calls or letters) there's a ton of repetition. Obviously any one person can only use a subset of the general advice out there, but it's still useful.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

ugh its Troika posted:

Nothing in any way related to communism except "hang anyone who comes around trying to preach it, then bury their skull upside down at a crossroads" is practical advice. The Marxists had their chance with the world and they hosed it up.

Ok that's great and all but I'm still gonna read Marx and eat the rich and you can't stop me

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Your dumb as poo poo.

Muckraking our personal-finance culture is a noble endeavor, Bob.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

There is a massive implied privilege in simply being able to plan. It's one I have.

• Locked thread