Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
I'm not a huge fan of return yards generating fantasy points. The emphasis on drafting players who also return kicks is an extra level of scouting which is probably not needed in a fun league like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

The Piper posted:

I'm not a huge fan of return yards generating fantasy points. The emphasis on drafting players who also return kicks is an extra level of scouting which is probably not needed in a fun league like this.

It's honestly a miss except for if a team double duties a kick returner and RB/WR. Which tend to be SEC SPEED ONLY

plus its loving injury city for most folks (cough UGA)

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

TheFlyingLlama posted:

bring back the old waiver wire rules that let me grab all the good players at midnight on Sunday.

no.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

drat. It was worth a shot

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Y'all will prolly vote against me for all of this, but:

I was annoyed at one point a couple seasons ago because I wanted to have an empty spot (I didn't want a TE because I hate TE's or something like that). So that'd be my first rule question: do we want to allow empty positions or do you have to carry 1 TE and 1 K and enough of every other position as well?

I think the waivers we used last year worked OK. If I remember correctly, waivers cleared on Tuesday, stay open until Saturday(?) and then close again for the next go. I liked that, except the waivers need to close on Thursday for week 1. I know that Taxes and I both picked up a couple of good players after Thursday night games. Or maybe they stay open until the player's game starts, but we just didn't have it set up right in time? IDK.

The only other thing I'd change is how the waivers are ordered. I don't remember how we did it, but one league I was in last year really sucked because your waiver reset to the bottom any time you picked up a player. So I got killed all season because I'd lose a waiver claim and then have to go pick up some FA after and wind up at the bottom for the next week too. Do we want to do something specific in that regard?

The Piper posted:

I love it. Makes the league double fun for me.

It's almost a necessity because of the number of players. You get a couple of game-breakers (like Jakeem Grant, Ty Montgomery, or Christian McCaffrey), but usually the return guy is the team's #3 WR or #2 RB and is rarely ever the top dude. So they generally wind up just another contributor and add a few more top-tier players to the mix.

Plus it gives some of us stats guys something to play for.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I'm in favor of keeping return yards a factor. I like the extra layer of scouting.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

kayakyakr posted:

Y'all will prolly vote against me for all of this, but:

I was annoyed at one point a couple seasons ago because I wanted to have an empty spot (I didn't want a TE because I hate TE's or something like that). So that'd be my first rule question: do we want to allow empty positions or do you have to carry 1 TE and 1 K and enough of every other position as well?

I think the waivers we used last year worked OK. If I remember correctly, waivers cleared on Tuesday, stay open until Saturday(?) and then close again for the next go. I liked that, except the waivers need to close on Thursday for week 1. I know that Taxes and I both picked up a couple of good players after Thursday night games. Or maybe they stay open until the player's game starts, but we just didn't have it set up right in time? IDK.

The only other thing I'd change is how the waivers are ordered. I don't remember how we did it, but one league I was in last year really sucked because your waiver reset to the bottom any time you picked up a player. So I got killed all season because I'd lose a waiver claim and then have to go pick up some FA after and wind up at the bottom for the next week too. Do we want to do something specific in that regard?

I think Fantrax makes it so if you claim a player, you get sent to the bottom, prioritizing those who haven't picked up anyone. Let me see if they finally updated that rule.

My concern with disallowing TE/K is that it essentially opens you up to stacking players on your bench, which in such a large league, concerns me.

As for waivers, the setting was to run waivers Tuesday morning, and for free agency to run until the player's game of the week (and closing entirely on Saturday). If it was not working, I need to clean this poo poo up.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I like the rules and have no complaints. Return yards are a nice wrinkle.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I vote you have to start a TE/K every week or permabanned.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
I think the problem with TE/K is that if they aren't required then what is stopping someone from just keeping those empty but hoarding good QBs and RBs in that roster spot that you don't play just so no one else can

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Keep tight ends get rid of kickers like just get rid of that starting spot and keep the same bench

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I vote you have to start a TE/K every week or permabanned.

TE/K are cool and good.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Metapod posted:

Keep tight ends get rid of kickers like just get rid of that starting spot and keep the same bench

Nah. Kickers are a great wild card in squeaker games.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Webbeh posted:

I think Fantrax makes it so if you claim a player, you get sent to the bottom, prioritizing those who haven't picked up anyone. Let me see if they finally updated that rule.

My concern with disallowing TE/K is that it essentially opens you up to stacking players on your bench, which in such a large league, concerns me.

As for waivers, the setting was to run waivers Tuesday morning, and for free agency to run until the player's game of the week (and closing entirely on Saturday). If it was not working, I need to clean this poo poo up.

I think waivers were working, just remember them not working for the first game of the week.

I wouldn't mind if the waiver order was reset every week based on rank. I'm pretty sure fantrax allows that.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

kayakyakr posted:

I think waivers were working, just remember them not working for the first game of the week.

I wouldn't mind if the waiver order was reset every week based on rank. I'm pretty sure fantrax allows that.

That was probably me because i was colossally wrapped up in wedding planning and forgot for week 1

sorry bros and gals :(

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Who is my NASCAR driver

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Scionix posted:

Who is my NASCAR driver

Dale Earnhardt Sr.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
the legend himself

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Scionix posted:

Who is my NASCAR driver

next on our docket after we finish discussion on rule changes

pump your brakes there

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
it says here, on my proposed changes, ah, *checks notes*

it says here "only scionix can draft alabama players, and is also picks 1-20"

all in favor with roll tide please

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I would never draft an Alabama player.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Make Louisville players undraftable. There, league saved.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Have we set a date for the draft yet?

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Komet posted:

Have we set a date for the draft yet?

Nope - it's next on the docket.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
So, let's talk THE DRAFT, since more or less, rules seem to be standard and same from last year.

Do y'all want to do anything different in regards to draft ordering/selection this year? Any ideas?

Since we're all veterans I shouldn't have to go over what has worked previously.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I think it's my turn to get a driver I've heard of

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I think it's my turn to get a driver I've heard of

Dane Earnhardt Sr

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
My driver hasnt finished the race like three years in a row now

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Quandary posted:

My driver hasnt finished the race like three years in a row now

tweet @ them and tell them to turn left

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it'd be nice if we got, like the 20 most popular drivers or something. I haven't gotten a guy I've heard of yet

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Yeah it'd be nice if we got, like the 20 most popular drivers or something. I haven't gotten a guy I've heard of yet

I guess I'll just do the top 20 in standings and use those as seeds?

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Webbeh posted:

I would but I'm too busy tweeting at recruits to come to my school sorry

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Webbeh posted:

I guess I'll just do the top 20 in standings and use those as seeds?

Yeah that works. I like having the Nascar thing instead of just a random order.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Quandary posted:

I would but I'm too busy tweeting at recruits to come to my school sorry

lol at this noob not knowing that the best way to get at recruits is hosting sleepover parties

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
The week 1 schedule is bizarre this year. There are 5 games on Sat 8/26 then the real week 1 starts the following weekend.

So how does Sunday 8/20 sound for this year's draft?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Webbeh posted:

Ironically, that would cause them to lose badly without a few right turns thrown in, as our traditional race is the Cheez-it 355 at Watkins Glen

Speaking of, that's this weekend: http://www.theglen.com/Articles/2016/04/2017-Cup.aspx. We gonna be able to get our drivers in time?

e: oops, it's the "I Love New York 355" now.

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 2, 2017

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

kayakyakr posted:

Ironically, that would cause them to lose badly without a few right turns thrown in, as our traditional race is the Cheez-it 355 at Watkins Glen

Speaking of, that's this weekend: http://www.theglen.com/Articles/2016/04/2017-Cup.aspx. We gonna be able to get our drivers in time?

e: oops, it's the "I Love New York 355" now.

It really bothers me it's not the Cheez-It.

I can set it up tomorrow.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

The Piper posted:

The week 1 schedule is bizarre this year. There are 5 games on Sat 8/26 then the real week 1 starts the following weekend.

So how does Sunday 8/20 sound for this year's draft?

I need to look if 8/26 is Week 0 or Week 1 - if teams have two games for that, then we'll just have to

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Can we restrict the draft to just players in the SEC because my knowledge level drops significantly with anything outside the SEC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Joey Freshwater posted:

Can we restrict the draft to just players in the SEC because my knowledge level drops significantly with anything outside the SEC.

This but the Big Ten

• Locked thread