Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Grognan posted:

uhh bear is not great for humans, just saying. we can od on fat soluble nutrients depending on what we nom

Nah, that's pretty much just Polar Bear liver. Besides, we're probably relatively malnourished when it comes to fat soluble nutrients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

There Bias Two posted:

Nah, that's pretty much just Polar Bear liver. Besides, we're probably relatively malnourished when it comes to fat soluble nutrients.

We need empirical data. Only one delicious way to get it.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
Can we make the bear skin into a sack and start packing our stuff in it?

Also, make a handle for the axe before exploring.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Whang bits of dead plane into a skillet with which to cook bits of murdered bear.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Okay so current plan is to cook up and eat the bear guts (fudging time a bit so they aren't rotten) with cooking tools made from metal bits. Any other actions?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Arkanomen posted:

Okay so current plan is to cook up and eat the bear guts (fudging time a bit so they aren't rotten) with cooking tools made from metal bits. Any other actions?

Look. Kid.

Eat those bear guts

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.

Arkanomen posted:

Not guts, MEAT. Gosh. We're not poor.

Eat the meat of the front right paw of the bear, because that is what they scoop honey from hives with, and thus, it is the sweetest part of the bear.

And yeah, assemble shelter, tools, etc. from metal bits.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

mepstein73 posted:

Eat the meat of the front right paw of the bear, because that is what they scoop honey from hives with, and thus, it is the sweetest part of the bear.

Maybe it's a left-handed bear you bigot!

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

mepstein73 posted:

You have a shelter. It's a crude lean-to but it covers 3 walls and is water and windproof. You also have a number of tools, so what tools are you looking to make?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Any implements that would fit in a Mad Max montage.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Okay you have a handful of tools in various states of repair. You also have 35 lbs of "metal" to make stuff from. Do you want to make survival tools, farming tools, weapons, household tools, stills etc?

Tad has a basic understanding what tools exist but the more complicated the higher the DC and there is always the chance something could go very wrong.

Tad is good for protein for a while but other nutrients and water are low.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

We need a pot to boil water

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

We need a pot to boil water

Agreed. Make a couple pots and pans. Also more sharp implements on sticks. Spears, mattocks, etc. And build up a supply of firewood if possible-- gotta keep this fire going.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Make one of those things the roided out alien on star wars uses, double blade thing.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Outrail posted:

Make one of those things the roided out alien on star wars uses, double blade thing.

There's no way in hell Tad has seen Star Wars.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

There Bias Two posted:

There's no way in hell Tad has seen Star Wars.

Nerd brother loves that poo poo.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Tad watched star wars once trying to freak a nerd chick but he ended up just getting stoned and having a fun time and connecting on a healthy and emotionally deep level. Never called her again and swore off nerd poo poo forever.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Arkanomen posted:

Tad watched star wars once trying to freak a nerd chick but he ended up just getting stoned and having a fun time and connecting on a healthy and emotionally deep level. Never called her again and swore off nerd poo poo forever.

Noice.

In that case make a sword. A big badass sword so we can gently caress more bears up.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Is Tad dead yet?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
NOT YET!

Bolstered by your recent conquest you set to work expanding this outdoor venture capitalism into manufacturing. You need tools, and some pots and pans, an a sword. A big loving sword. The chainsaw is great but you want something a little more hefty and worthy of the king of the forest. A SWORD! You look over to the pile of metal and sticks and get to work with what you have available. The rest of the day is spent hammering away at metal with a stone, cutting and scoring with your kinfe. You even take some time to make a new bag out of the pelt of the bear.

Machete - 60 vs 3
Pans - 45 vs 26,83
Pot - 45 vs 43, 93
Arrowheads- 30 vs 40
Bear Pack - 30 vs 32
Handle for the axe- 65 vs 13

+1 Bear Pack, 5 arrowheads, 1 pot, 1 pan, -25lbs of metal

The sword fails utterly. You can get the aluminum around a stick but it wont hold an edge or stick to the metal. You fortunately save the metal and switch to pots and pans. The first two drafts are terrible and fall apart the moment you try to wield them. The second drafts come out much better as you recycle the first attempts. You feel like a god of the forge banging away at the metal, no clue if making it hot first helps at all but you're making good progress. Arrowheads are next but quickly get knocked out. Its just metal triangles and you figured out how to make an edge when you tried the sword out. The bear pelt is next. While it makes a radical cap, you need to increase storage for your assets. The majority goes into making a neat bag with string draws and the failures scraps go into making wraps for your knife. Lastly you turn to repairing the axe. Using the head in your hand is okay for small bits of wood and the chainsaw is a pain but you manage to hack up a nice hefty stick into a handle that fits the head. You find a nice big log and take a practice swing with your new axe.

The head comes down and buries itself in the log.
*THUNK-SNAP*

The handle keeps going with a sick crack and the sharp tip rips into the side of your shin, a gout of blood seeps from the wound and stains your pants. Pain is a funny thing, takes a moment to register, but the world comes into sharp focus as the adrenaline shoots through those scarred vessels.

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

8PM, Day Two
You're looking a little rough Tad.

Tad Westbrook
You are in moderate pain and bleeding badly
Your stomach is unsettled
Your addictions are satisfied

You are currently wearing-
Autumn Night to Summer Day clothing. (Torn, Bloody)

Crash Campsite

-Stone Lined Campfire
-Large smoke-fire pit
- 1 day of Firewood
- Sturdy Lean-to

Resources
- 51 Days of Food
-0.75 days clean water
- 3 Skeletons (1 Deer, 1 Bear, 1 Man)
- 40 Feet of Foil
- 10 Lbs of Metal (Sheets,Rods,Fasteners, Slag,Wire)
- 1 Black Bear Trophy

Tools
- Axe head- Broken Handle, In Leg
- Survival Chainsaw
- 4 inch knife blade,serrated
- 4 carabiners
- Fancy corkscrew/bottle opener
- Crude Bone Knife
- 1 Firestarter stick
- 4 Fishing Kits
- 1 Sewing Kit
- 5 Arrow heads
- 1 Empty Bear backpack

- Set of Cooking Tools
- 50 ft Thread
- 20" Duct tape

Possessions on your Person
Large Carry-on backpack Travel Case - 60% full
-$13,000 in $20 dollar bills.
-7g of Cocaine
-50 count of Norco (opiate + generic pain killer)
-2 lighters (1 full)
-100 sheets scrap paper
-Battery Pack (3/4 charges)
-Cellphone (25% charged, off)
-Flask of Everclear (5 oz)
-Crude Map
-2 Tinder-Plugs
-1 signal mirror
-1 Emergency signal whistle
-1 compass
- 1 Fresnel Magnifier
-4 Safety Pins
- 1 Pencil

Arkanomen fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 11, 2017

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Is Tad dead yet?

Man, I just want to fast forward 3 months to Tad's kingdom being discovered by hunters or whatnot. Bear skulls everywhere, a hallowed gallery of the Everclear bottle, scorched hundred-dollar bills, and the pilot's [coke-smeared] skull, and a crazed Tad clad in rotting bearskins and wearing the antlers from his first find kill.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Oh hey, Ive done that. Got my foot though, not my shin.

Fortunately, a car and hospital were right nearby to treat the injury :)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Norco. Everclear. Wrap it up with bear skin.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

I don't suppose there are any tweezers or forceps in the fishing or sewing kits, and we sure as poo poo don't have a first aid kit.

Let the bloodflow flush the splinters out, dump a shot of Everclear and a scant dusting of coke on it, in that order, wrap it in your cheapest shred of clothing, and tie it all together as tight as you can with duct tape.

I do not see Tad having any knowledge or foresight necessary for that, so consult the Gekko and eat the bear's heart for power.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Painkiller, take the axe haft out, wash with everclear, duct tape the wound.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Aug 11, 2017

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

AJ_Impy posted:

Painkiller, take the axe head out, wash with everclear, duct tape the wound.

It's not the axe head. We cut ourselves on the broken axe handle. Otherwise this.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

There Bias Two posted:

It's not the axe head. We cut ourselves on the broken axe handle. Otherwise this.

Edited accordingly.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

We've seen one or two medical shows while trying to snag some tail right? Lets do what George Clooney or Hugh Laurie scream at people to do.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Blasphemaster posted:

We've seen one or two medical shows while trying to snag some tail right? Lets do what George Clooney or Hugh Laurie scream at people to do.

So we should slash our leg again to make it worse then realise it's a soft tissue wound after treating for the plague and then some rare tropical parasite. After that go trash big boob boss lady's office and get high on pills? That show, what was it called, Condo? That got you started on those little helper. Gotta be careful though. The family doc said if I take them after I get wasted my balls would fall off.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Arkanomen posted:

So we should slash our leg again to make it worse then realise it's a soft tissue wound after treating for the plague and then some rare tropical parasite. After that go trash big boob boss lady's office and get high on pills? That show, what was it called, Condo? That got you started on those little helper. Gotta be careful though. The family doc said if I take them after I get wasted my balls would fall off.

I assume infection and delerium should set in at some point so this all seems reasonable.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Outrail posted:

I assume infection and delerium should set in at some point so this all seems reasonable.

depending on the bacteria, if he has arteriovenous scarring or disease from IVDU, current immunological response which may be hampered by other injuries, bad diet, stress, etc., caloric (especially protein, but we have three carcasses) intake, and sheer luck, it could range from necrotizing fasciitis, which grows and spreads very rapidly and will probably kill him in few hours to a day, to localized staph or maybe Pseudomonas infection (which will stink so loving bad he'll wish he's dead). if he's smart, he'll irrigate it with the everclear, but it's Tad, so he's more likely to smear bear blood and actual feces on it.

best case scenario: a plane with hunters in it will fly over, see the fires and other plane wreckage, and radio back to ATC that something is sketch. worst case scenario: rapidly fatal gas gangrene. nice middle ground: the leg from roughly the knee down eventually mummifies and falls off (dry gangrene).

Btw, don't google any of these things, especially if you're anywhere near food.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
^^That sounds about right. Years ago I had a mosquito bite get infected, and within three days went from totally fine to slurring, blurred vision and a doctor stating in no uncertain terms "This is septicemia. You're dying, you have about four days to live, take these antibiotics right now you idiot lunatic". LOL, loving mosquitoes.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
GROSS! update tomorrow!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

At least septicemia will give us the hallucinations required to successfully complete our Spirit Quest! Glass half full guys.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

At least septicemia will give us the hallucinations required to successfully complete our Spirit Quest! Glass half full guys.

(just saying, we must obey the almighty Gekko)

Take a shot of Everclear and do some coke to dull the pain, then give the wound a shot of Everclear for good measure. We'll be drunk as a skunk, but maybe we'll survive.

FEEL THE BURN, TAD

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
You curse, loudly. Mostly in fear but the pain isn't too fun either. The haft of the weapon slides out with a wet schlorp, blood welling up from the injury. It's hard to see just how deep the wound is but when you briefly poke the wound its deep. The adrenaline still coursing through your body lets you clamp your hand over the wound and make it the short jaunt to the firepit where your supplies are. Shaking you dump your pack and grab at everything you need. Half remembered first aid lessons from school drift through your head but most of it is how to handle someone OD'ing. Gotta clean it, you can use the alcohol. Gotta clamp it down with some bandages, maybe the tape. gently caress it hurts so bad, your foot isn't moving too great. poo poo.

Tad Doctoring, - 20" Duct tape , -Everclear (5 oz), -33 sheets of paper, -3 Norco
Infection- DC 50 vs Tad 8 - Failure
Bleeding- DC 35 vs Tad 52 - Pass
Treatment- DC 45 vs 41 - Failure

You try to wash the wound with the everclear but your shaking hands only get a little of the precious liquor into the wound. It burns worse than the cut and you drop the flask spilling the rest of your precious liquor. It will have to do. You don't have any bandages but paper will have to do. You slap a bunch of layers down out of your notepad and use the ducttape to secure the paper to your leg and then tighten the wound. It takes all the tape but you get something into place. The blooming red on the paper slows down and eventually stops as the norco you slammed start to kick in. In a gentle attempt you try to stand but the pain radiates through the haze of opiates and your foot continues to have trouble moving. You can kind of hobble hop with the help of a large branch but its heavy and you are slow moving. More norco goes down and the pain fades away but you still feel the wound throb and pulse, almost in time with slow chirping of the crickets in the woods. It's a cold night tonight and its made worse by the come down from your adrenaline rush.

You have enough sense to toss some wood onto the fire, using that last to banish the chill, leaving you chemically numb instead of frozen. There isn't much to do but sit and let the chemicals take you away to dreams of golden hookers and cooked books. You dream of being rescued and coming back to this hellscape. The controls of the bulldozer feel funny. The brakes aren't working and the dozer is suddenly in the air and spiraling back to earth. The Gekko is sitting next to you. He smiles in a way that makes your soul clench. His mouth opens but doesn't move as his broken voice snakes out as thorny branches.

"All hot streaks end, hot shot. You cooked the books but this is one book that no one can cook. In the game of life you either profit and die, or simply die. I had hopes for you, would have been great to be the one to crush your assets and hear the lamentations of your shareholders. Only the rich are fit to enter the halls of Investhalla. Tick tock, Tad." He finishes before the thorns rip into your leg and the dozer crashes into the face of a golden bear.

You startle awake as pain shreds your leg. It feels like its on fire. Any movement sends you screaming and you can't even feel your foot. Two more norco go down so you can even attempt to touch the wound. Something isn't right as the paper is stained black opposed to the dark red of yesterday. The sun is shining brightly and you can feel the warmth ease your pain but why are you still shivering and what is that smell? The meat isn't gone bad and the bear skin stopped stinking when you cut it into the bag...Oh, its your leg. The smell is rancid and as you peel back the bandage, a foul rotting smell bursts forth from your purple black flesh. You roll to your good side and vomit. You feel like poo poo and not in the normal hangover way.

9AM, Day Three
Looks Bad, Tad?

Tad Westbrook
You are in moderate pain (numbed- extreme) and crippled
Your stomach is churning, you feel shakey, you are thristy
Your leg looks really nasty
Your addictions are satisfied

You are currently wearing-
Autumn Night to Summer Day clothing. (Torn, Bloody, Sick)

Crash Campsite

-Stone Lined Campfire
-Large smoke-fire pit
- 0 Firewood
- Sturdy Lean-to

Resources
- 51 Days of Food
-0.75 days clean water
- 3 Skeletons (1 Deer, 1 Bear, 1 Man)
- 40 Feet of Foil
- 10 Lbs of Metal (Sheets,Rods,Fasteners, Slag,Wire)
- 1 Black Bear Trophy

Tools
- Axe head- Broken Handle
- Survival Chainsaw
- 4 inch knife
- 4 carabiners
- Fancy corkscrew/bottle opener
- Crude Bone Knife
- 1 Firestarter stick
- 4 Fishing Kits
- 1 Sewing Kit
- 5 Arrow heads
- 1 Empty Bear backpack (empty)
- Set of Cooking Tools
- 50 ft Thread
-Large Carry-on backpack Travel Case - 0% full
-$13,000 in $20 dollar bills.
-6g of Cocaine
-45 count of Norco (opiate + generic pain killer)
-2 lighters (1 full)
-66 sheets scrap paper
-Battery Pack (3/4 charges)
-Cellphone (25% charged, off)
-Flask (8 oz, empty)
-Crude Map
-2 Tinder-Plugs
-1 signal mirror
-1 Emergency signal whistle
-1 compass
- 1 Fresnel Magnifier
-4 Safety Pins
- 1 Pencil

Arkanomen fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 16, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Cauterize it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

AJ_Impy posted:

Cauterize it.

This. We're dying but it's worth a shot.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

AJ_Impy posted:

Cauterize it.

This and all the drugs... Do we have any antibiotics in the first aid kit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Outrail posted:

This and all the drugs... Do we have any antibiotics in the first aid kit?

You have no first aid kit.

AJ_Impy posted:

Cauterize it.

How would you like to do this. You have a few options. There's the lighter, maybe you can move enough to restart a small fire but you have little wood, or you can use a coal, somehow...

• Locked thread