Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

ESA 2017 is over for now! Thanks to everyone involved!

While you're still not done catching up on the SGDQ2017 runs you missed, there's already another speedrunning marathon for you to tune in to - this one taking place on the other side of the pond! Yes, it's time for the European Speedrunner Assembly once again, taking place from July 22nd to July 29th. In stereo!

Yes, this year, ESA returns to having two streams, after only having one in 2016. Only the first stream runs all the time, though, the second one is a little more sporadic. Check the schedule!

Schedules: Stream one and Stream two. Should auto-adjust to your time zone. Or you can use the schedules on Horaro: Stream one and Stream two.

Watch it at: http://www.esamarathon.com/ is the main site. There's also the twitch links, stream one on the ESA channel and stream two on the GeekyGoonSquad channel. Usually the main site is preferable.

If you didn't already set up Streamlink for SGDQ, or you're still using Livestreamer, it's time to change. As explained by debdrup: If you want to be able to play any streams in your favorite video player of choice (mpc-hc, mpv, or even vlc), you might want to look into installing Streamlink and the companion Twitch program Streamlink-Twitch-GUI (the latter of which requires a bit of easy configuration). They're rather straight-forward to setup now-a-days, but if you run into trouble, feel free to join us in the goon speedrun channel on irc, and ask - there'll most likely be someone who can help you.

Recordings of the runs should go up eventually.

Chatting: While ESA does use Twitch chat as its main chat, there's better places to be, such as IRC:
Server: irc.quakenet.org
Channel: #esamarathon
Direct link
Quakenet Webchat (Mibbit will not work)

As always, there's also a SA speedrun channel that you can use to chat with us goons:
Server: irc.synirc.net
Channel: #speedruns
Direct link
Mibbit Webchat

And finally there's a Discord chat as well.

=============

So what about the charity

While not focusing as much on the charity aspect as GDQ does, ESA still accepts donation for a good cause. Like last time, ESA2017 benefits Save the Children, the world's leading independent organization for children in need with programs in over 120 countries.

=============

Donate!

While ESA does not use the same donation system as GDQ, it's not that hard. You can find the donation page here. You will be able to leave a comment with your donation, and as ESA is a lot smaller than GDQ, chances are quite good your donation will be read on air! However, you can't just get anything read - while I don't have the exact ESA rules for it available, it is likely to be similar if not identical to the GDQ guidelines:

quote:

-The program should auto-filter donations that are less than a dollar, but in case if one slips through, filter it out.

-Some people do not want their names read out loud when they donate. There will be an anonymous flag you can check so that the donation reader doesn't read their name by accident (like we have done often in the past).

-Donations insulting someone should be filtered out.

-If a donation is solely twitch faces, hashtags, or just generally spam, then filter it out.

-On that note, if someone donates a small amount of money just to write a mountain of text, then filter it out. We'll be busy enough reading short donation comments. The only exception we should make for mountains of text is...

-Personal stories relating to our cause should be read.

-If a donation comment is creative and funny then it should be read. Just FYI, while some people might find twich faces funny, they're certainly not creative.

=============

So what about those incentives and prizes?

They exist. At least incentives do. But ESA does not have the excellent tracker system that GDQ has, so there's no really good list of them to be found (yet). A list of goals can be found here.

=============

FAQ:
Q: What runs should I watch?
A: There's still no answer to this. There'll be recommendations eventually, read the thread! I'm going to spend the first half of the week at the event itself and the other half at a con, so I miiiight not be able to keep up with the thread as much as I like.

Q: Will ____ be there?
A: Check the schedule. If they're not listed as a runner, it doesn't really matter if they're there or not. There's some controversial people. Don't bring them up.

Q: So did you hear about-
A: Yes, we heard about it. And please don't make anything more out of it. Of course it's fine to talk about things that go on at the event, but do show some respect towards all the people that put in their time to do this. And take anything Reddit says with a grain of salt.

Q: Why isn't ____ on the schedule?
A: Nobody submitted it, or it was submitted and rejected. So it goes.

Q: Why didn't they read my donation comment?
A: Because your comment was bad and you should feel bad.

Q: Where is this happening?
A: ESA2017, just like 2016, is taking place in Fortnox Arena, Växjö, Sweden. They've listened to the criticisms about the venue from last year. Supposedly.

=============

So now gèt håip!

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Reserved!

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
excited for the My Summer Car race

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

excited for the My Summer Car race

And I'm still salty it's in the middle of the night even when the event in the neighboring country.

Does the ESA upload the runs in their YT channel during the event or do I have to VOD via Twitch?

Anyways, excited for the event, here's hoping the technical side will be better than last year.

SankeX
Oct 26, 2011

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

TeaJay posted:

Does the ESA upload the runs in their YT channel during the event or do I have to VOD via Twitch?

https://twitter.com/esamarathon/status/887578655869870081

This tweet from ESA seems to suggest they will be uploading to YT throughout the marathon

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

Time to get speedy

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I would like to watch games go fast in a faraway time zone!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I am now at ESA

Yesterday was not a good day but things should probably be better now.

Edit: Not sure how good of an idea it is to have a Monster for breakfast but w/e (also eating some bread things but anyway)

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jul 22, 2017

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I hope the Es are ready to S at the A

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
They're a few minutes late, everyone panic

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Kind of weird to see an ESA where the production quality isn't a clownshoes shitshow like it was the last couple of years.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Game looked like it would be more fun without the combat, run kept getting fun but then nope, combat sequence

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

"I don't know if you can hear us right now..."

ESA would not be ESA without technical difficulties, I guess.

Announcer-cam looks to be running at 240p resolution, which suits the theme of retro games. It also looks very convenient that they have to crouch down to read a donation

Don't see the point of having the on-stream clock in there, since all it does is confuse me, and I'm only one hour ahead of it

But other than that, ESA is on!

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
These announcers are punchy as gently caress. What time is it there?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

mangler103 posted:

These announcers are punchy as gently caress. What time is it there?

The on-stream time is local time, 20:10 when I write this

e: They have one game down and they're already like 15 minutes behind the schudule

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

these two runs are like ESA in a nutshell: "this is incredibly unlucky"

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The more the stream 1 schedule gets delayed, the better.

I'm gonna be on couch for Hebereke aka Ufouria tomorrow since I basically invented running that game, then my own Mighty Gunvolt run is really early on Monday.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

KennyMan666 posted:

The more the stream 1 schedule gets delayed, the better.

I'm gonna be on couch for Hebereke aka Ufouria tomorrow since I basically invented running that game, then my own Mighty Gunvolt run is really early on Monday.

I'm not gonna wake up at 7:30 AM on my holiday for your Gunvolt run but if you manage to push the schedule a few hours forward I might be able to catch it.

Hebereke I'll watch for sure, one of my favourite NES games of all time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the biggest tragedy of Ufouria is that the Virtual Console version on Wii hosed up the audio because of PAL/US so the bass is super out of tune :(

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
I like this bit where they're renaming the plant with donations. There's a lot of value to ESA being a goofier speedrun marathon.

mangler103 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 22, 2017

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Good god, this runner is just death. And who approved a game with hours of unskippable cutscenes?

EDIT: My cat stepped on my keyboard and muted the audio of the stream, and I didn't notice for 5 minutes.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
The runner looks more bored than me. I mean, if I was actually watching. And not even bringing on someone else to pull the weight in the entertainment department seems a suspect decision.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah this run is pretty dire. Truly, SGDQ has spoiled me.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
I'm gonna be commentating Resident Evil 7 coming up later in the marathon, so look forward to that! I enjoy that game's run but it's a more subtle-going run. The runner is also someone who is extremely chill so I'm not sure how we're gonna bounce but hey oh.

(p.s it's extremely funny to me how many people have gone out of their way to ask me to couch stuff after SGDQ, it feeds my ego)

oh yeah also I have two runs on the side stream which goes live Monday. Hell yeah.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Illbleed is a weird and ambitious game.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

This Illbleed game looks pretty cool. Never heard of it before.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
Oh hey it's that guy who got kicked out of agdq for mic dropping a 300 dollar mic.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Oh hey it's that guy who got kicked out of agdq for mic dropping a 300 dollar mic.

Didn't he also refuse to follow the 'no cursing' rule? And didn't he threaten to start his own speedrunning marathon?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

we have two people dancing in the background, we're at peak chill right now

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Boy, I sure did think I already knew how crazy illbleed was.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
A race of a long RPG speedrun with both runners using different routing is certainly... interesting.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

(p.s it's extremely funny to me how many people have gone out of their way to ask me to couch stuff after SGDQ, it feeds my ego)

oh yeah also I have two runs on the side stream which goes live Monday. Hell yeah.
Hey Punchy are you at the venue yet, come say hi to me

And you're totes invited to my Ninja Smasher couch if you want to 'cause I'm pretty sure there's nobody here that knows the game and it's an indie Metroidvania with ninjas so that's close enough to Shuriken right.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I like the little food plate that this guy has set up for the runners.

e: Oh lord, it's chocolate-pineapple pizza

I also like the definition of ESA as the goofier european cousin of GDQ.

It's gonna be the NES block soon, after that Turtles in Time and Zero mission, it's gonna be a good sunday afternoon.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 23, 2017

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

They should add the year the game was released to the display. Always found that interesting, especially for lesser known titles.

Also, donation amount in DOLLARS?! Come on, Europe. Sad.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I love the Gimmick! speedstrats, they look great and make the game seem even faster.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

KennyMan666 posted:

Hey Punchy are you at the venue yet, come say hi to me

And you're totes invited to my Ninja Smasher couch if you want to 'cause I'm pretty sure there's nobody here that knows the game and it's an indie Metroidvania with ninjas so that's close enough to Shuriken right.

I am all over the place and MAYBE, I might still be eating breakfast at that time idk.

(i don't know the game at all tho)

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Haha, this guy is just pushing this massive harvester around.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
ESA seem kinda bad at estimates

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Insurrectionist posted:

ESA seem kinda bad at estimates

Yeah, here he is talking about how good this run is and how few mistakes he's made and he's a good 5 minutes behind estimate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I mean apparently it's all down to loading times in this case (although there's no way they took THAT many minutes, from the sound of it the run was good as mentioned so you'd have to tag on another like 5 to account for a bad run). It just feels like every game I've tuned in to has been even or over the estimate.

• Locked thread