Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rarity posted:

He's yelling into the camera and I can't understand a word he's saying.

hosed up if true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Rarity posted:

They didn't fully drop it till 2003, loving hell

Along those lines, Alabama didn't recognize interracial marriages until 2000, because Alabama is a garbage land for trash people.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Defiance Industries posted:

Along those lines, Alabama didn't recognize interracial marriages until 2000, because Alabama is a garbage land for trash people.

Bob Holly! :argh:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This is a really good thread that I hadn't seen until now. Thanks

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Aesop Poprock posted:

This is a really good thread that I hadn't seen until now. Thanks

Thank you! Glad you're enjoying it :D

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Rarity posted:

Thank you! Glad you're enjoying it :D

I too am enjoying it and I really wish you include the Main Event shows in your rewatch as they explain a lot of the storyline for the Mega Powers. But it's been years since I thought of the shows and I don't know if you have access to it or not.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Nystral posted:

I too am enjoying it and I really wish you include the Main Event shows in your rewatch as they explain a lot of the storyline for the Mega Powers. But it's been years since I thought of the shows and I don't know if you have access to it or not.

It's on the WWE Network but I'm afraid this is already a huge project and if I included all of those it would make my progress way too slow. Plus part of my intention with this is to see how well the storylines are preserved through their PPV presentation.

I hope that what I do manage to cover doesn't disappoint.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I will say try to find the February 3rd 1989 episode of Main Event, since that one's pretty historic as far as Savage's whole arc goes

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Speaking of the Mega Powers...

Just enough time to appreciate another Macho Fan.

Less a Macho Man and more of a Slim Jim

The Mega Powers w/ Elizabeth vs. The Mega Bucks w/ Bobby Heenan and Virgil
Guest Referee: Jesse Ventura

And here we go with our main event. According to the hype video this all came about after DiBiase and Andre ambushed Savage so he challenged them to a tag match. There's a great quote from Heenan here where he said “Read my lips, humanoid”. Jesse was then announced as the only referee with the ability to call the match, leaving DiBiase with a smug look until Savage announced his partner would be none other than Hogan. DiBiase went on to pay Jesse a bung for his loyalty, all while Jesse wore a big poo poo-eating grin. Basically, it's a WM4 rehash.

As Jesse comes out Gino tries to act scandalised at the suggestion that Jesse would be a biased official but he can't even stick to it for one sentence. Hehehe! Jesse's here and if you thought that taking on officiating duties would mean that Jesse would lower himself to official referee attire then you don't know Jesse “The Body” Ventura.

Nope, Jesse has strayed far from the black and white stripes indeed. Instead he has chosen to referee this match in a flouncy trimmed white shirt with a pink scarf, a do-rag and a white tasselled leather jacket. He looks dressed for a completely different type of wrestling if you get my drift.

I've got a note from Lord Alfred Hayes, it says you look ridiculous

The wrestlers are out next and I'm pleased to hear that the Mega Powers come out to Savage's music rather than Hulk's. It really does feel so far like they're trying to present the two guys as equals instead of keeping Hulk on top. They've also got matching ring gear which is a nice touch. Before the match begins Jesse keeps us stalling for ages and ages by explaining rules, checking gear and moving the tag ropes around. gently caress sake, you coulda given Herc' and Jake a good few more minutes if you cut this poo poo.

On commentary I'm sad to say that Graham has been getting more and more tiresome as the night progressed and in this match I reach my full. He's good at being shouty and excitable but it's all he's got and it just gets wearing.

The Mega Powers beat away on DiBiase to kick things off but then Jesse goes to yell at Elizabeth and Andre interferes. Andre backs Hulk into the corner and starts smooshing him with his big old butt. Andre keeps up the pressure with a trap squeeze which he turns into a strangle by using his singlet while keeping it hidden from Jesse with his arm. That's a cool little trick I must say. And here's where I think my problem with Graham lies. He's working as face colour and it doesn't work. We need someone there on the booth who's taking the heels' side. If commentary are all rooting for the faces it turns the heels into the underdogs and undercuts all the psychology of the match.

DiBiase slaps a sleeper hold onto Hulk but he starts hulking up only to run straight into a double clothesline. All the while the WWF champion and best guy on the show stands on the apron being absolutely wasted. They really should have gone with a title defence for Savage on this show, this is basically a Raw main event. However, Savage is really good at reacting to things while waiting for the tag. It's not a skill I've ever really noticed or thought about but Savage is so animated and he keeps on calling on the crowd and it really helps keep everyone in the arena involved in the action.

Now Hulk knows what it feels like watching him wrestle

Savage gets the hot tag and comes in on a tear that ends with a top rope clothesline. Savage and DiBiase are combining much better here than they did at WM4. But then Savage gets knocked into the corner and of all the indignities he could receive he only goes and gets a Stinkface from Andre! DiBiase goes for his second rope elbow drop but misses it and Hulk's back in the ring. He cleans up and locks on a sleeper to DiBiase while Savage goes up for the Flying Elbow to Andre. Oh no, he whiffs it and gets a boot in the face!

Savage and Hulk are both thrown to the outside and Jesse starts up the count. They've got no hope of making it back into the ring so Elizabeth gets up on the apron to try and save the day. But this only leads to Heenan and Virgil climbing up onto the apron as well. Elizabeth responds the only way she knows how, she...

...takes her skirt off?

As we all know a woman's automatic response to adversity is to take her kit off

Jesse looks so confused by this turn of events. You're not the only one, mate! The Mega Powers are recovered now and come back in the ring to clear house. DiBiase eats a scoop slam, the Flying Elbow and the Leg Drop and they force Jesse to count the pin. Jesse refuses to count the three so Savage literally jumps on his hand to make it hit the mat. Pretty sure that's grounds for a DQ there, Randy.

Anyway, the match is won and the Mega Powers celebrate in the ring. Elizabeth still hasn't put her skirt back on. There's one moment where Hulk hugs Elizabeth and Savage looks confused but it quickly passes. I only mention it because I have a suspicion that this will be important down the road. Hulk and Savage continue to pose while Elizabeth looks on and the crowd cheers.

And there we have it, Summerslam 1988 is done and dusted. It was a big improvement from WM4 with a couple of strong showings and a few more that were definitely fun. Warrior winning the Intercontinental title felt like a genuine moment and the main event was overbooked enough to work around the weaknesses of its participants without crossing the line into insanity. That said, apart from Warrior's win nothing felt particularly important and it did seem like a lot of wrestlers/angles were just treading water. Four Kanes out of ten!

/10

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Only a year away from time-travelling Daniel Bryan.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Xerzes posted:

Only a year away from time-travelling Daniel Bryan.

Erm, no spoilers please. Mods???

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Boo Xerzes, booo!

I thought David Faustino would be more of a King Kong Bundy fan.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Don't worry, Daniel Bryan's Wyatt-magic-powered time-travel adventure happened on an episode of Saturday Night's Main Event, not a PPV.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Gavok posted:

Don't worry, Daniel Bryan's Wyatt-magic-powered time-travel adventure happened on an episode of Saturday Night's Main Event, not a PPV.

Huh. Coulda sworn it was Summerslam 89. And I figured Rarity would miss it if it wasn't mentioned.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Xerzes posted:

Huh. Coulda sworn it was Summerslam 89. And I figured Rarity would miss it if it wasn't mentioned.

Since she's not gonna see it and I only have a vague memory of what this is about (dude in the crowd looks like short haired bryan I think?) could someone post a video or pic of it?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Also keep in mind that this was unearthed during that brief period when Bryan was in the Wyatt Family and was wearing that outfit.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wow that is like dead on. Did anyone ever tweet it to bryan

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Aesop Poprock posted:

Wow that is like dead on. Did anyone ever tweet it to bryan

Twitter wasn't around back then.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

well it was but the only two wrestlers in WWE regularly using it were CM Punk and Big E

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

well it was but the only two wrestlers in WWE regularly using it were CM Punk and Big E

not when the brainbusters were active it wasn't

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
A Note From Rarity: If you recall I didn't watch Royal Rumble 1988 because it wasn't technically a PPV and thus didn't show up on the Wikipedia PPV chronology. But we can't be having that! This is a little bit of wrestling history after all. So let's fix that problem.[/b]

Royal Rumble 1988: Let's Get Ready To Grumble

What I Think I Know

• It's the first ever Royal Rumble!
  • Twenty men enter, one man remains, that man is (ugh) Hacksaw Jim Duggan
  • The Jumping Bomb Angels are going to win the tag title off the Glamour Girls. I accidentally spoiled myself on this when trying to figure out how to spell their names. Thanks, internet!

It's winter 1988, little Rarity is snuggled up in her cut and across the Atlantic our friend Pat Patterson has had himself a bit of a brainwave so here we are for Royal Rumble 1988. We are live from the Copps Coliseum in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada so we're taking our first tentative steps into Bizarro World. And straight out the gates we can see something strange about tonight's events. Gorilla Monsoon is not at commentary so his spot's been filled by Vince McMahon. Was Gino unable to get a visa in time or something? Vince is joined by our normal colour commentator, Jesse Ventura, who says that he's wearing the kind of clothes suitable for a rumble. Welp, guess that means we've got to get right to it.

Ok, the zebra pants we've seen before at this point so I'm just going to sweep them to the side. Instead let's focus on the rest of Jesse's outfit which constitutes a blue tie-dye T-shirt, a white blazer, a white Stetson and a black feather boa. As outfits go on the Jesse-scale this is somewhere between ridiculous and insane.

You're wrong, Jesse. Those clothes aren't suitable anywhere.

Rick Rude w/ Bobby Heenan vs. Ricky Steamboat

There's only one thing I can say about this pairing.

The bell rings and Jesse is straight away laying into Vince about his weak, pitiful body and this is a theme that Jesse keeps coming back to all night. No wonder we ended up magazine-cover Vince and wrestling-the-Undertaker Vince! It's all just trying to deal with the PTSD he gets from Jesse's bullying here! It's ok, Vince, the true forgiveness comes from within!

One person that Jesse won't be insulting is Steamboat cause he is looking really jacked today. He's normally a guy who's more sleek and quick but he's been hitting those health supplements hard here. The match starts with a very long stall until Rude wins out a strength of test but Steamboat grapples through and starts working on Rude's arm. Cries of “Rudie! Rudie! Rudie!” ring out and oh for the love of God, one of the fans has brought a megaphone. That's going to get old fast. There's a reason they gave one to the heel manager!

The match continues to progress at a slow and steady pace. All the fundamentals are done really well with Steamboat keeping up the pressure with armbars and armdrags and such but it's so very repetitive and this stage of the match lasts for ages. Rude finally gets some separation and elbows Steamboat right in the eye. Ow. In a nice touch he tries to flex his biceps to show off but his arm's too hurt to properly pose.

This is essentially half the match

They fight to the outside where Rude delivers a scoop slam on the padding then back in the ring he slaps on a camel clutch. Steamboat is tapping loads but nobody seems to care. I guess tapping out wasn't a thing in wrestling at this point in time because the ref is right there and nobody mentions it at all. It makes sense, it just looks hokey to my modern sensibilities. Rude keeps the camel clutch locked on for ages until Steamboat eventually reverses it into an electric chair drop.

From here we fall into a series of pinning combinations that are reminiscent of the big Savage/Steamboat match. Rude ties Steamboat up into a small package but rather than kick out Steamboat rolls it over so he's the one doing the pin. That was a cute little spot. Steamboat goes up top for the Flying Chop but Rude pulls the ref in the way so he gets taken out. Rude gets Steamboat up for a modified torture rack and the ref calls for the bell. Rude thinks he's got the victory but as he goes up the ramp it turns out Steamboat won by DQ, thereby drawing the match to a close just as it was heating up.

Don't worry Rick, this match made me sleepy too

Considering how excited I was at the start of this I have to say this was really underwhelming. I've really not emphasised enough just how long all those holds were lasting. Steamboat was in control for far too long and it drained the match's heat. The last couple of minutes were really fun but then the match got cut out at the knees when it could have gone on a bit longer. While I still love Rick Rude, we've jumped back in the timeline and it's clear at this point he didn't have all of his character pulled together yet. Hopefully these two get another chance to impress me.

Off to our stage podium now where Zombie Mean Gene is with Jesse ready for Dino Bravo's attempt to break the world bench-press record. And as this segment starts we get our first award of the night to a line I'm sure I must have misheard but I listened to it three times and I've got no idea what else it could be.

MOST HOMOEROTIC MOMENT

Zombie Mean Gene: “Jesse Ventura right now hitting on Vince McMahon”

Jesse is there to act as Dino's spotter but Zombie Mean Gene doesn't know what means. Poor guy, he's been slack with the research ever since he turned into a corpse. Dino comes out with Frenchie Martin and when Zombie Mean Gene asks how they're feeling Frenchie responds by speaking French. I feel like this shouldn't come as a surprise to people.

They mill around the bench for a while setting up the lift then Dino demands silence so he can have full concentration. The crowd responds with all due disrespect. He kicks off with a warm-up set at 415lbs and then they set up the bar for 505lbs. And here's where the problem with this segment becomes all too apparent. It's loving boring.

Settle in, friends. We've got fifteen minutes of this.

I took a bunch of screencaps and they all look exactly the same

The 505lbs set goes fine so we then move up to 555lbs. Like any sensible lifter Dino is giving himself a couple of minutes between sets to rest up. During this time nothing at all is happening. And then before each lift we have to deal with another tantrum from Dino about the crowd noise. It's excruciating. The 555lbs lift goes fine so now they're upping the weight to 595lbs. We're still over 100lbs from the record, for gently caress sake.

It's here that I notice something's a little off about Jesse. He's wearing a tight belt and there's some very noticeable overhang coming down. He's less like “The Body” and more like “The Cushion”. Someone's gone back for seconds on the turkey this Christmas, that's for sure! Dino has another tantrum but still composes himself to nail the 595lbs lift. As the weight goes up to 655lbs Frenchie speaks in foreign some more and Zombie Mean Gene yells at him for not speaking English. Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear.

Now I've done my share of benching in my time and you know what? It doesn't even require silence. It's not like you're paying attention to sound when you've got a big heavy weight comes down on your chest. Anyway, Dino pulls off the 655lbs lift although he's gone down to just the one rep and it's a bit of a struggle. Finally the bar gets set for a new world record of 715lbs and Dino's switched to speaking French as well. He lies for the lift and the crowd boos so Dino... gets up from the bench and storms off to the back in a huff.

gently caress.

THIS.

Frenchie argues with Dino on the entrance and manages to convince him to come back to the bench. Dino lies down to take a crack at the record but he's really struggling with it. Jesse takes hold of the bar to steady the weight and Dino does the lift but it's so obvious that Jesse is helping with it. Even so everyone claims that it's a new record lift and Dino celebrates like a ponce.

THE ONLY SPOTTER I NEED IS GOD!

This was an abscess of a segment. It went on and on and on and was so uninteresting. There's a reason that we don't have a weekly powerlifting TV show on Monday nights. They could have achieved the same thing by claiming Dino did his warm-ups in the back and saved to put another match on. There's a fair few big names on the roster who don't even show up tonight and this could have given them a bit of time. Devastatingly poo poo.

Number of Times Rarity Considered Abandoning This Project: 3

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Sometimes these felt like the dawn of movies when nobody even had a concept of what people would want to see so they just filmed random acts and charged a nickel.

This did work for the Mr Perfect video of him owning at everything tho.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Sep 17, 2017

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
At the time the Royal Rumble was devised, was it illegal to throw your opponent over the top rope in a normal match?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Marmaduke! posted:

At the time the Royal Rumble was devised, was it illegal to throw your opponent over the top rope in a normal match?

Not in the WWF

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Sweet, you're not going to miss the women's tag!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Not in the WWF

Yeah, that was a Bill Watts thing mainly, I think? And I think the AWA was still doing it at this time too.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, that was a Bill Watts thing mainly, I think? And I think the AWA was still doing it at this time too.

NWA too.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 40 days!
Wanted to add my voice to the "going thru some Hard Times (per Dusty Rhodes) so thanks for this thread" chorus. It's been a delight to read and a welcome distraction. :)

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toOFtj66xoE

Daniel Bryan Time Traveller.

Though, in fairness, it might be Torgo.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Randaconda posted:

Man, I love the Honky Tonk Man

Rewatching that match, I gotta give Honky credit. He was selling his rear end off.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
From what I remember, so this may be wrong, Honky was over enough as a heel to be the headliners on the B-shows while they were on tour. (B-shows referring to the shows without Hogan, of course)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

God Of Paradise posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toOFtj66xoE

Daniel Bryan Time Traveller.

Though, in fairness, it might be Torgo.

i HaVe UnTiL fIvE rEfErEe!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Women's Tag Team Title 2 out of 3 Falls Match
The Jumping Bomb Angels vs. The Glamour Girls w/ Jimmy Hart

Now here's something that should wash the bad taste of that segment out of my mouth. The Jumping Bomb Angels are back! And they're in a 2 out of 3 falls match because this is the 1980s and women can do anything that men do. Good to see that the WWF have already fully committed to that sentiment. The Glamour Girls are out first with Jimmy who's wearing a gold jacket that is so shiny I need sunglasses. This isn't any old Jimmy Hart, this is your limited edition foil wrapped 100th issue Jimmy Hart. The Angels follow next and they're really over. They get a proper entrance with rad music and when they come out the crowd goes mental. It's one of the biggest pops I've ever seen the women's division get. I'm loving this.

rear end status: kicked

So the match starts and Vince and Jesse work hard to put the ladies over by... arguing about Dino's lift. Godammit. The Angels rush out with a dropkick to each of the Glamour Girls and there's that pace that I loved so much at Survivor Series. Noriyo hits a stalling gutwrench suplex that is so impressive. The commentators have finally got their minds on the match thank gently caress but it turns out there's just one little problem.

They don't have a clue who the Angels are.

I can't understate how appalling this is. It's not even a case of being confused about which Angel is which. That would still be a bit poo poo and low-rent but they literally have no idea. Jesse asks Vince which Angel did the suplex and Vince is just stumped. For gently caress sake! These are the girls you're about to put over! (Spoilers, Angels win) The least you could loving do is make the effort to find out what their names are. Not to mention there's this really uncomfortable undertone that the reason they don't know is because the Angels are foreign and because they're women they weren't worth the minimal time it would take to find out their names. But it's ok! Vince has a solution to this problem.

MOST OFFENSIVE COMMENT

Vince McMahon: “Let's call the one in the ring Pink and the one on the apron Red”

ARE YOU loving KIDDING ME?

At least he didn't want to call either of them Yellow

Meanwhile in the ring Itzuki (that'll be Red to you, Vince) hits Leilani with a slingblade. She gets on an octopus hold and Judy rushes in to save it but only ends up kicking Leilani. In a really cool spot the Angels each lock on a figure 4 to the Glamour Girls. It's really sweet. Noriyo follows up with an Indian deathlock to Leilani and we end up with a tug of war between the Angels and Judy with Leilani as the rope. Again, there's a real originality to the spots in this match.

Leilani eventually takes control thanks to some cheap heel tactics from the Glamour Girls. Itzuki is sent into the corner and tries to flip over Leilani but Leilani catches her feet and just whips her down to the mat. Ouchies. Jesse wonders if it's acceptable to call women “large” and that's almost a relief compared to earlier. The 80s are still learning how to talk about foreign women, it's not ready for the ins and outs of the body acceptance movement. (Answer: it's fine because to do otherwise would imply being large is a negative). Leilani hits Itzuki with an alley oop, a move that normally looks shite but they make it work and that gives the Glamour Girls the first fall.

Before we get started with the second fall we cut away for an ad break. An ad break! These days wrestlers just jump back into it. Work on your conditioning, girls! The match restarts and Leilani goes for a pin on Itzuki but she just bridges out of it. It looks lovely. During the break someone has clearly passed on the Angels' names to Vince so that's a relief. But don't count your social progression chickens just yet. Vince spends the rest of the match calling Noriyo Norino. gently caress sake.

The match breaks down with all the women in the ring and the Glamour Girls the Angels into each other. But the Angels manage to put the breaks on and duck, leading the Glamour Girls to clothesline each other! Sweet! Itzuki goes for a rollup on Judy, who botches it by forgetting to fall backwards for a second. It looks awkward but it's still enough to get the Angels the pinfall and tie the match at one apiece. More adverts!

Buy your Hulk Hogan Meat Shoes today, folks!

Time for the deciding fall now and the action starts off fast and furious with an enziguri from Itzuki. Noriyo follows up with a slingshot and a necksnap but the Glamour Girls get the upper hand and start working over Itzuki. Noriyo gets the tag and takes Judy out then hits a sick top rope knee drop. Nice! That's quickly followed with a bridging butterfly suplex! God drat! Itzuki goes up top and tries a senton bomb but she whiffs it. loving hell, the WWF ladies with the Jeff Hardy bumps in 1988!

Jimmy tries to interfere and while the ref's dealing with that the Angels take Judy out with a double missile dropkick and get the final pinfall! Angels win, new tag champs! Make the most of it cause I have a strong feeling we're never seeing the Angels or the women's tag belts again. This lacked the impact of their Survivor Series outing because it didn't have the surprise factor but it's still miles ahead of anything else that's going on in the company at this point. The Jumping Bomb Angels have been such a beautiful hidden gem and I'm so glad this project led me to finding them. It's a huge shame there was no one else on the women's roster who could come close to them. Imagine what they could have done with opponents who had their level of talent.

You were too pure for this world

The replay shows that Judy's shoulder was up for the entire three count but shush, let's forget about that.

Hey, you know what's fun? Recaps! You like recaps we got your recaps! Vince and Jesse got all the good poo poo right here! We got Wrestlemania III recaps, we got Ted DiBiase recaps, we got Andre the Giant recaps, we got so many Hulk Hogans recaps! All the recaps that you can handle! I've seen some of this stuff three times now, it's getting ridiculous.

Andre comes out to sign the contract for his upcoming title match with Hulk, flanked by DiBiase and Virgil. Andre has promised to deliver DiBiase the “World World Federation” champion. Gotta be careful of those fake Chinese knockoffs, Ted! While they're walking out they are completely upstaged by one super awesome dad fan who's busy putting his son in the torture rack.

At least I hope it's his son...

Hulk follows them out and joins them in the ring where in tradition we have a small table and two chairs. You'd think they'd be kind enough to get Andre a bigger chair but nope, it's a standard one. And who else should be there but WWF President Jack Tunney! We haven't seen him since The Wrestling Classic! I wish we didn't have to see him here as well because somehow he only has the mic for two lines but still manages to be the worst part of this segment.

Tunney invites Andre and Hulk to sit down for the signing but Andre refuses. He spends ages just standing around wobbling against the ropes. And I have a feeling that this is a shoot cause judging by the look in his eyes Andre's been sucking on the old doobie. I don't think he even realised he was out in the ring yet.

The only thing on this man's mind is munchies

There's a whole lot of boring waiting around until Andre kicks himself back into gear and gets in his seat. Hulk's got the contract and it's looking like he's wavering so DiBiase grabs the mic to start goading him. DiBiase claims that the match will end Hulk's career and Hulk can't let such a challenge to his manhood stand so he signs the contract. Andre takes his turn with the contract and oh boy oh boy oh boy, have we got a treat for those of you who loved Dino's record attempt because it's time for Hot Sweaty Reading Action!

Yes, that's right. Andre takes his time looking over the contract to check the details are correct. He reads it, he scans it, he skims it. At one point I even think he peruses it! As he does so Jesse claims that “a guarantee from Jack Tunney is like a guarantee from Ollie North”, of course referring to a politician made famous for selling arms to the Iranians. To be fair to Mr. North, he guaranteed those Iranians would get their guns and by gum, they got 'em! After an eternity, Andre signs the contract and DiBiase gives us our next award.

MOST INCORRECT PREDICITON

Ted DiBiase: “This man will have all the money in the bank”

I never saw Andre with a briefcase

And now we reach the pay-off to what this entire palaver has been building up to. Andre flips the table over Hulk and Vince sells it like Hulk's been crushed by an anvil. It's a wooden table, mate. I've had worse doing DIY round the house. This segment was complete garbage. I'm so tired of this feud. In one form or another this has been the main event feud for the last five shows I've watched. Even with the slight jumping around in the timeline taken into account it's still so old and stale. The main event scene really needs a new heel to come in and freshen things up.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The Jumping Bomb Angels really were some next-level poo poo for sure. At least by WWF standards for that time.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 18, 2017

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Judy Martin was so so bad (Leilani was also bad but by comparison she was great). It speaks amazing things of the Bomb Angels that they were able to drag that match out of them

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Given the state of Andre's body at this time it's more likely that he was fifteen sheets to the wind, but I wouldn't put it past him to get crunk as well.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The only worthwhile part of the Hogan/Andre feud that you missed is Andre beating Hogan for the title on SNME and handing the belt over to Dibiase. Not for the match, but for Andre's post-win speech where he rambled on about winning the tag team championship or some poo poo.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Yeah that tag match was dope and the Bulldogs were probably the team that was as different from everybody else as the JBA (tho, I guess the JBA were way nicer).

I hope they'll get an inauguration to the HOF if WWE is happy with Asuka and Kairi Sane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gavok posted:

The only worthwhile part of the Hogan/Andre feud that you missed is Andre beating Hogan for the title on SNME and handing the belt over to Dibiase. Not for the match, but for Andre's post-win speech where he rambled on about winning the tag team championship or some poo poo.

It was on Friday prime time, on an NBC special called The Main Event, not SNME