Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

KungFu Grip posted:

I will remind you that Smash is a young 31 years old still.

Pat Tanaka is actually a Hawaiian that worked the terroritories and pretty much every promotion in the 80s. Him and the Rockers wrestled each other in AWA. Sato is some guy from All Japan and territories.

Tanaka and Sato teamed up briefly in the AWA after the demise of Tanaka's team with Paul Diamond, Badd Company. Then they were immediately signed by Vince. (Diamond, of course, will soon replace Sato as the masked Kato

Bad Company was also the name of Brian Pillman and Bruce Hart's tag team in Stampede at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Bad Company was also the name of the song, artist, and album that Badd Company used as entrance music. Badd Company were also managed by DDP in AWA.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Gino buries the Rockers in the match here since they were infamously hungover backstage prior to the match, and the match got changed to the gently caress finish as a result.

It's also hard to believe given that he's been such a fixture so far, but this is actually Jesse Ventura's last WWF PPV, so enjoy him while he lasts.
We have Hogan to "thank" for that (gently caress him).

Yeah, it's at this point Hogan's ego is realllllly starting to really negatively affect the business and the product.
And he becomes even more hypocritical. If winning and losing doesn't matter that much then why didn't you ever lay down for Savage, you bastard.

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 4, 2018

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I know about this being Jesse's last show :(

The OSW Review guys are really good at pointing out when people are finishing their runs so I'm starting to pick up on these and give my thoughts accordingly.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

If winning and losing didn't matter then why did he make Perfect lose that last Rumble :bahgawd:

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Annnnnnd, I've finally caught up with this thread. Fantastic work so far, Rarity.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/DesTechStruct/status/949459458584846336

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
My favorite thing is how it looks like J.J. is shocked that he got him up for it too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hell, Tully looks stoked too!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
TB's slingshot suplex is legit one of my favorite moves of all time

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Rarity, a while back you asked for some Chigusa, and I want to use that as a belated excuse to post this match between Chigusa and Lioness Asuka's Crush Gals and the Jumping Bomb Angels which may have the single most hyped crowd I have ever seen.

Edit: Actually watch this version, the audio is desynced in the first vid I posted.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2hkpn8

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 8, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Watch that match!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Jim Ross: BAH GAWD KING, WHAT'S THAT?

Michael Cole: COULD IT BE?!

Jerry Lawler: WE HAVEN'T SEEN HER IN MONTHS, J.R!

Jim Ross: BAH GAWD THAT'S GOTTA BE... THAT'S GOTTA BE...

Tazz: WHAT'S RARITY DOING IN THE IMPACT ZONE?!

I'm back, baby.

We go once more to the back where Allen is about to catch up with one of “the hottest new bands in the music business”, Rhythm and Blues. And just who are Rhythm and Blues? Well, as you might well expect when we're talking wrestling and music The Honky Tonk Man is front and centre on vocals and supporting him on bass guitar is... WHAT THE gently caress HAS HAPPENED TO GREG VALENTINE?

WORST HAIR

And I was finally getting used to the blond mullet!

So Honky and Greg are now doubling up on careers by attempting to break into the charts and tonight's they're going to be performing their big new single “Hunka Hunka Honky Love”. I dread to think how the lyrics go. Allen's more excited than he's been since he found out Peewee Herman was straight. I think that's meant to be a joke? I don't get it. He also muses that Honky reminds Allen of a famous singer already, “Elvis... Costello”. Ohohoho. Honky claims that they're going to be bigger than a Beatles reunion although I'm pretty sure the resurrection of John Lennon would be headline news. Greg says that they're on their way to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Ok, I'm cool with this new gimmick and tag team but can we agree now that Greg doesn't get mic time? Yeah? Awesome.

Dino Bravo w/ Jimmy Hart and Earthquake vs. Hacksaw Jim Duggan

Oh look, it's the one feud that Dino's got. Didn't we do this a couple of years ago and didn't it suck then too? Although the fact that we're doing this in Canada now adds an extra little wrinkle I suppose. Dino's out first but he's still getting boos. I guess Quebecois politics is a bit over my head. Hacksaw follows him out and I swear he used to have music in his entrance. Not any more though, although that might just be because it's being drowned out by the masses of boos for the American flag. Ahahaha, gently caress you Hacksaw.

America, the World's Top Heel

Here's the bit I want to know though, was this intentional? Were the actively trying to flip alignments for the crowd? Or was Vince really so arrogant he expected an American patriot to get cheered even in foreign countries? I really wish I could give him the benefit of the doubt here but there's no way I can. Either way, Hacksaw is soaking up the crowd hate and it's making me so happy. All the years of intolerable mugging and cheap wins was almost worth it for this moment. Especially when the crowd shits all over his cartoony shtick. Oh gently caress yes, this is beautiful.

The two men brawl much as you'd expect and Hacksaw connects with an atomic drop to Dino. Meanwhile on commentary Jesse is now four fingers deep into his second bottle of whiskey and decides to start yelling at Gino for gorging on hot dogs. Jesus, Jesse! Where's all this coming from? He goes on and on and on about it and even claims Gino's got mustard all over his lapels. Now I'm not much of a Gino fan but this is a bit extreme.

PULLED PORK SUBS ARE THE HEALTHIER OPTION, FOOL!

Unfortunately as the match progresses the crowd gets more and more behind Hacksaw. I guess that as bad as Americans are they're not as obnoxious as the French. Dino hits a Manhattan drop but Hacksaw recovers soon enough and goes on a roll. However, never being one to make a smart decision Hacksaw figures that he might as well go after Earthquake as well. Oh, Hacksaw. We all know that's not working out for you. With Hacksaw indisposed Jimmy tosses the 2x4 in to Dino but Hacksaw manages to get their first and blasts Dino with it to win. Meh.

Earthquake won't allow his buddy to be treated in such an unfair fashion so he comes into the ring and gets in his second beatdown of the night. He absolutely squishes Hacksaw, jumps around the ring like a baby throwing a tantrum and hits the Butt Splash three times. Remember when they said Earthquake had sent twenty eight men to hospital? Yeah, it's a safe bet that this makes it twenty nine.

Now I watched this entire show, I don't ever remember Jimmy using a lightsaber

I can't even judge the quality of this one because it barely registered as an actual match. The show is really starting to suffer from fatigue as we trawl through this quickies that exist to get everyone on the card. I really think the show could benefit from a bit of quality control. Cut a few of the pointless matches and give everything else a bit more time. This didn't need to exist, although I guess for the sight of Hacksaw getting heel heat I should be glad it did.

All right, it's time for what is by default the match of the night that I'm most interested in but first let's get a quick recap of the issues between Jake “The Snake” Roberts and Ted DiBiase. This video package doesn't even begin to cover the extent of this feud which could date back as far as WM5 but it covers a few brief highlights. DiBiase takes Jake out with the Million Dollar Dream to establish his supremacy. Later, DiBiase invites Jake to come and get the Million Dollar belt. Sure enough, after DiBiase has a match Jake shows up to take him out and lift the belt up high. Pretty lame package, all in all. There's definitely more to the story than what they showed.

It's all right, Jake. I bought one just like it at Forever 21.

Zombie Mean Gene has found his next victim and is waiting with Jake. Now I've grown accustomed to wrestlers being loud and shouty and manic but here Jake is full of chill. He says that this is the biggest match of DiBiase's life because everything stands for is on the line. Jake remembers all the times he made people grovel for money (like that kid with the loving basketball) and now he's going to make DiBiase grovel for his own money. In Jake's words he's going to make him “a victim of your own greed wallowing in the muck of avarice”. Whoa. loving awesome promo. I love how serene Jake is here. It's so different to everyone else and it comes across as total badass. If I was DiBiase I would be loving scared right now.

Million Dollar Title Match
Ted DiBiase w/ Virgil vs. Jake “The Snake” Roberts

Don't worry, you're not reading that wrong. Even though it's not an officially sanctioned belt this match still has the Million Dollar title on the line. It's the best fake wrestling title since the Internet Title! DiBiase is out first and he's finally got his music. It's about drat time. This theme is so synonymous with DiBiase that I know it even though I know nothing about this era. Everybody's got a price! Everybody's got to pay! Jake comes out as well and I'm getting pumped for this one. This is the highlight of the show so I'd better make the most of it.

In Canada he's the $1.28 Million Dollar Man

Uh oh, Jesse's still on the sauce and he's still harping on about hot dogs. He thinks that Damien's eaten more hot dogs than Gino. Is that... an insult? ...a compliment? I really can't tell. Meanwhile, DiBiase and Jake go through some chain manoeuvres with DiBiase scrambling away from a couple of early shots at the DDT. Jake works over DiBiase's arm and sends him to the outside where he keeps up the punishment. Back in the ring he runs in for a knee lift but DiBiase steps aside and tosses him right into the turnbuckle. Oof! That did not look pleasant.

Oh my god, someone make Jesse stop. He's still going on about hot dogs and Gino is starting to sound legit pissed off. This is why you're not allowed the cooking sherry any more, grandad. Of course, all this is happening while they're ignoring the two men giving it their all in the ring. But that's all right because the crowd is ignoring them as well. In fact, they give so few shits that we're getting the PPV debut of the Mexican Wave. Aw, that just makes me sad. You guys saved the Wave for this when we had Demolition and Andre sharing a ring? Jesse and Gino have no idea what to make of this and settle on being blithely amused. DiBiase pulls Jake into the ringpost and starts yelling at the fans for their disrespect. As he should do.

Thankfully it seems that DiBiase has managed to pull these fans back on track as he keeps up the hurt on Jake with a piledriver. He's getting cocky now and the crowd is going nuts in anger. He slaps on the Million Dollar Dream but Jake falls into the ropes to break it up. Realising he can't keep the hold on DiBiase drags Jake into the middle of the ring and goes for a pinfall instead. Such a smart little move. It really sells that DiBiase is the thinking man's heel. DiBiase comes off the second rope but Jake catches him and he hits...

THE RAINMAAAAAAAKERRRRRR

Jake sets DiBiase up for the DDT but Virgil grabs his leg and drags him outside. With all sense of order breaking down DiBiase locks on the Million Dollar Dream on Jake on the outside and they struggle for position, ending up with both men falling into the ringpost. Virgil picks up DiBiase and rolls him back into the ring just in time to catch the end of the ref's ten count to get the very, very cheap win. Which means that after being put out of action for months, insulted for yet more months and dumped out of the Rumble early, Jake never even gets the win at the end. Holy poo poo, wow.

The match may be over but Jake still wants to get one up on DiBiase so he attacks both him and his bodyguard. Virgil goes tearing off up the entrance with the Million Dollar belt as Jake hits the DDT on DiBiase. However, Virgil's left all of DiBiase's cash behind so Jake picks it up and starts sharing it with the fans at ringside. One of whom is a very bemused Mary Tyler Moore. Jake shoves the final c-note in DiBiase's mouth and sets Damien free but Virgil shows up again to rescue his boss and take him away with Jake following close behind.

This was actually how Mary received her fee for her appearance tonight

I realise that this match was under quite a bit of pressure to deliver considering how low my hype's been for all the other matches but I still have to say that I was underwhelmed. I wasn't expecting these two to put on a masterpiece because they're both the definition of 'solid but unspectacular' when it comes to their ringwork. But even looking past that to think about the bigger picture of the story they told, it was kind of a damp squib. It's not all their fault though. There was no way that Jake should have lost this. Not only was the stage set for DiBiase to fall, there's also so many more possibilities for the story if they'd passed the Million Dollar belt on to Jake. So this was fun and all but it was still a wasted opportunity.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yesssss, the Muck of Avarice promo. That right there is why Jake is awesome, even if most of his relevant stuff was between PPVs

Also yes, Canada largely gives about as many fucks about Quebec as America would give about France.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DeathChicken posted:

Yesssss, the Muck of Avarice promo. That right there is why Jake is awesome, even if most of his relevant stuff was between PPVs

Sweet, I just found it on Youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEI81DATt5A

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

Eh, I don't think it's Jake or DiBiase's fault that the crowd was bored and started the wave.

WM6 was basically built as a one-match show and Warrior/Hogan was the ONLY match that received a full and proper build-up (although there was much more to the Million $ Title feud than was shown in the package, as you alluded to).
So pretty much you have a crowd of 70,000 fans that have sit through 13 matches in order to get to the one match that everyone really paid to see.
I think it's fair to say they ought to be a little restless at this point, given the lack of sensible booking and stretching out at this point.

You have to endure random matches with absolutely no sense or buildup to them, like Tito/Barbarian.
Matches like the Tag Team Title match go 10 minutes for no good reason (especially since it was basically 2-on-1 and built around the angles--Demos' final hurrah and Andre's retirement).
Piper/BadNews receive ample time while good workers like Rick Martel and the Hart Foundation are regulated to short squashes.

In retrospect, WM6 is a drag, but not nearly as much as WM4 and WM5.

At the time, though, WM4 and WM5 had more hooks to keep the audience in suspense.
WM4 is an awful slog, but at least had the surprise of Hogan losing and the promise of a brand new WWF champion to keep the audience in suspense.
WM5 has a lot more dire poo poo than WM6--the brutal Pipers Pit and Run DMC concert were bad enough alone without being tacked on to a long string of brutally dull matches, but at least it had a few fully developed undercard matches to keep people's interest: Rude/Warrior and Jake/Andre were really big feuds at the time. Rick Martel's turn and Rick Rude's upset are fresh surprises to keep things going.

But WM6's undercard has none that, not even an I-C Title match since the champion is in the Main Event!
The only fresh surprises are Andre's turn and Mr. Perfect losing, and they blow that before even 1/3 of the show is done!

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 17, 2018

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Edge and Christian were at that show!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

As bad a trip as this has been for Rarity, she's about to be rewarded with some fantastic news in the next update so good on her.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

In Canada he's the $1.28 Million Dollar Man

No no no, no matter where he is in Time and/or Space, he's always worth EXACTLY one million dollars. ALWAYS.

God it's like you're not even paying attention! :mad:

Love these reviews :)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Shiki Dan posted:

Eh, I don't think it's Jake or DiBiase's fault that the crowd was bored and started the wave.

WM6 was basically built as a one-match show and Warrior/Hogan was the ONLY match that received a full and proper build-up (although there was much more to the Million $ Title feud than was shown in the package, as you alluded to).
So pretty much you have a crowd of 70,000 fans that have sit through 13 matches in order to get to the one match that everyone really paid to see.
I think it's fair to say they ought to be a little restless at this point, given the lack of sensible booking and stretching out at this point.

You have to endure random matches with absolutely no sense or buildup to them, like Tito/Barbarian.
Matches like the Tag Team Title match go 10 minutes for no good reason (especially since it was basically 2-on-1 and built around the angles--Demos' final hurrah and Andre's retirement).
Piper/BadNews receive ample time while good workers like Rick Martel and the Hart Foundation are regulated to short squashes.

In retrospect, WM6 is a drag, but not nearly as much as WM4 and WM5.

At the time, though, WM4 and WM5 had more hooks to keep the audience in suspense.
WM4 is an awful slog, but at least had the surprise of Hogan losing and the promise of a brand new WWF champion to keep the audience in suspense.
WM5 has a lot more dire poo poo than WM6--the brutal Pipers Pit and Run DMC concert were bad enough alone without being tacked on to a long string of brutally dull matches, but at least it had a few fully developed undercard matches to keep people's interest: Rude/Warrior and Jake/Andre were really big feuds at the time. Rick Martel's turn and Rick Rude's upset are fresh surprises to keep things going.

But WM6's undercard has none that, not even an I-C Title match since the champion is in the Main Event!
The only fresh surprises are Andre's turn and Mr. Perfect losing, and they blow that before even 1/3 of the show is done!

Everything you say in this post is completely fair

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
We return now to the back where I have to break some devastating news to you all. Are you sitting down? Yes? Good. I'm afraid to say that everyone's favourite tag team, the Twin Towers, is no more. Mooney is with Akeem and Slick who have cut Big Bossman loose because he refused to accept money from Ted DiBiase. Yes, how dare he get in the way of their success by having principles. Slick's happy though because not only has DiBiase held onto his Million Dollar Title, he's also paying the two of them off to beat Bossman. Akeem adds that there's two things that don't last long in this world: dogs that chase cars and law enforcement who don't take bribes. You forgot a third thing, mate: The Red Rooster's career.

The African Dream: 50% less black than Roddy Piper

Elsewhere Zombie Mean Gene is with the other tower as he chats to Bossman. He calls DiBiase scum and says that he might be poor but he's also proud. He's proud not to have a manager and he's proud to be an American. Dear lord, of all the guys on your roster to turn face Bossman has to be the least suitable option. There's something about cheering for a violent and patriotic correctional officer that is... problematic to say the least.

Akeem w/ Slick vs. Big Bossman

Are you ready for this one, friends? We all saw when the Mega Powers exploded. We all didn't see when Strike Force collided. Now prepare yourselves for devastation as the Twin Towers... collapse? ...crumble? Erm, I'll get back to you on that one. But seriously, I can't believe that I have to sit through this dreck and I don't get my drat Strike Force match. I am so salty! Full of salt!

There is one silver lining in all of this. Now that Bossman's split off from Slick it means we're free to get our first blast of 'Hard Times'. Don't you ever take a trip down to Cobb County, Georgia! This is such a banging theme. It's a quality tune and a great match for Bossman as well. Jim Johnston, you've done it again. I'm rocking out as Bossman reaches the ring but then DiBiase crawls out of hell knows where and attacks him! Holy poo poo! That was amazing! I realise he must have hung around after the last match and gone into hiding but they disguised it so well, I never saw it coming. Awesome.

I was shocked to discover Bossman was only 2 feet tall

So DiBiase beats the poo poo out of Bossman and shoves him face first into the ringpost. All the while the bell's not even rung so this is completely legal. As much as I'm against the concept of face Bossman I've got to admit they're making the effort to get the crowd on his side. DiBiase rolls Bossman into the ring and figures his work is done so departs. Akeem takes advantage with an avalanche and a series of corner punches but Bossman carries him out into a Manhattan drop. He follows it up with the Bossman Slam and this match is already over. Haha, Akeem got buried to gently caress.

Obviously, this isn't really a match so can't be talked about on that front. As an overall angle I'm pleasantly intrigued. DiBiase showing up from outta nowhere was such a cool moment and I'm all for anything that makes Akeem look like rear end. I still think there's some major issues with encouraging the crowd to mindlessly cheer for an aggressive and authoritative representation of the state but I'll see how this one plays out as the year goes on.

Addendum: OH MY GOD THIS IS AKEEM'S LAST SHOW YES THIS IS MY EVERYTHING

Our man on the ground Sean Mooney has gone into the crowd to measure the crowd hype for the performance of Rhythm and Blues's new single. He comes across a little Jimmy who is very unexcited because “they can't do anything”. Hehehe. He does find one girl that's hype though so this act works for someone. Mooney then goes to creep on Mary while she pretends to have a great time. She calls wrestling “the best of athletics and theatrics” and he asks her about Greg and Honky. It's clear from her answer that she has NO IDEA who they are. It's so awkward.

This kid is a future PSP poster in the making

This can only mean it's time for the musical performance. Girls, you better hold onto your panties because here come Greg and Honky. They drive out in a pink Cadillac with Jimmy Hart in tow and a couple of girls in front. Jesse calls them the Honkettes, hehe. Jimmy's waving a gold record up in the air though I've got no idea how the record's gone gold when the single's not even been released yet. Guys, I don't think you understand how the music business works. Another thing I'm not understanding is the Honkettes makeup. It's almost as ridiculous as Sherri but at least with her it's on purpose.

And so they launch into their song. It's... not great. It's very, very repetitive. For the benefit of my audience in this thread I have trawled the internet to source some lyrics. “Tell old Honky what you need tonight,” he sings. “Tell old Honky what he likes to hear.” Yeesh. “You know you gotta, gotta, gotta have some Honky love.” Uh oh, this does not sound good out of context. Yet still better than Run DMC! As for the performance it goes pretty well. Honky's always solid when it comes to belting out a tune so he carries it off. The Honkettes look high as gently caress though and what we agreed about Greg talking applies double to letting him sing.

I take it Honky's the 'Rhythm' and Greg is the 'Blues'

But what's this? A couple of merch vendors have wandered out to ringside and are angering Honky by shilling some illegal swag. Wait, those aren't vendors! That's the Bushwhackers! Not cool, guys, haven't you ever heard of intellectual property rights? Knock-off merch is a serious issue effecting the bottom line of many of today's aspiring artists. Greg and Honky go running off to safety but they leave their guitars in the ring so the Bushwhackers pick them up and smash them to pieces. They missed a trick here, they coulda sold those on Ebay for a tidy profit. The singer from Los Campesinos! once chucked a towel at me and I hawked it for 8 bucks.

Another Wrestlemania, another bullshit inflated attendance record. Howard Finkel announces that they've packed in 67,678 inside the Skydome. That number looks way too fake. Did Vince just mash his finger on the keypad for a second and call it a day?

Rick Rude w/ Bobby Heenan vs. Superfly Jimmy Snuka

Well, it's about drat time, Rude. Do you have any idea how late this is? I was starting to think you weren't even going to show. Ok but seriously, remember how all through 1989 Rude felt like a really important deal no matter what he was doing? Yeah. He really has come off the boil a bit. Oh well, I suppose this match could be... all right? Maybe? Aw geez, look what they've done to you, Rudie.

Even his butt-trunks seem uninspired these days

Any hopes I had of getting something out of this match are swiftly dashed as Gino and Jesse are joined on commentary by Steve Allen. Ugh, this guy is just the worst. On the whole I'm zen about celebrities showing up for Wrestlemania cause they're all fairly harmless (well, apart from Bob Uecker) but here Allen is a straight up rear end in a top hat. He sets his stall out early by calling Snuka “really ugly”. Whoa, dude. Chill. Ain't nobody got no need for that.

In the ring Rude has got the early momentum but Snuka holds onto the ropes when he goes for a dropkick and he goes crashing down right on the back of his neck. Ow. Snuka follows up with a textbook back body drop but then he lowers his head for another and Rude catches him in a snap suplex. Ooh, nice. You don't see that used as a counter much. It's all reasonably decent action which Allen interrupts with “I like Jimmy Snuka cause he's wearing my wife's underwear”.

...Wut?

Steve Allen's wife wears tiger stripe panties

Ok, I'm gonna pretend I didn't hear that. Snuka connects with a flying headbutt and goes to the second rope for the Body Splash. He flies off but Rude lifts his knees up in time and Snuka bounces off in pain. Rude follows up with the Rude Awakening and seals a very simple victory. A win! A clean win for my #1 boy! At least that gives me something to cheer for. Allen fucks off from commentary for the rest of the night. That gives me something else to cheer for! Everything's coming up Rarity!

As happy as I am to see Rude walk away with one in the win column I'm still very disappointed that this was all we got out of him on this show. I don't need to go on about how great Rude is or how much I love him, we all know that already. Surely they could have come up with something better for him to do. How about blowing off that feud with Piper which literally fizzled up into nothing? Now that woulda been a match I could get excited about. And as an added bonus half-oily Piper would be a hell of a lot better than the half-black version.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

That pink Cadillac was driven by none other than Self High-Fiving Diamond Dallas Page.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Jason Sextro posted:

That pink Cadillac was driven by none other than Self High-Fiving Diamond Dallas Page.

Who got the chauffeur gig becuase he owned the Caddy, apparently.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I love that Twin Towers blowoff a whole hell of a lot. It isn't often you get this big dramatic breakup between a team, then one guy just squashes the gently caress out of the other guy. Thanks for coming, Akeem.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm a One Man Gang/Akeem fan. Fight me irl :colbert:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I like him too actually, but if they were going to push Bossman as a face like this, it's really neat they had him just beat the gently caress out of his partner and prove out of the gate he was the better one.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
If Akeem had just been the South African Dream everything would have been so much better!!! :downs:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Also someodd years later it would lead to this, because wrestling is art

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

:cop: Boss Man :cop:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Welp, this officially draws the preliminaries to a close. All that's left is for us to buckle up our seatbelts and hold on tight as the Ultimate Challenge approaches. But first a quick look at how this all came out. Back at the Rumble, Hulk and Warrior face off and come to blows for the first time. Later, they team up to beat Curt Hennig and the Genius but the heels attack after the match and in the ensuing melee Warrior blasts Hulk by mistake. Don't you just hate it when you accidentally attack your tag partner who you're signed to face in a big PPV match sometime soon? It happens to me all the time.

Later still, Warrior is having some issues with Earthquake who's trying to squish him but Hulk makes the save and that gets Warrior all pissed off. Earthquake proceeds to squish Hulk but now Warrior makes the save and this gets Hulk all pissed off. Hey, don't give it if you can't take it, you baby. Warrior runs the ropes and goes to clothesline Hulk but he stops himself and goes running off to the back instead. They're lucky the fans are so into the idea of these two fighting each other cause that's literally all they've got here. An explosion of Mega Powers this is not.

Why would Earthquake wear a poop-coloured singlet? Ew.

WWF Title and Intercontinental Title Match
The Ultimate Warrior vs. Hulk Hogan

There's a huge big match feel all around the arena as we get ready for this one. Personally, I'm not really expecting this to be much good considering the limited talent of the two men involved. Warrior comes tearing down the aisle first and runs to the ring to give the ropes a vigorous shake. Jesse thinks Warrior's got the edge because he's already sweaty from his warm-up. Um, I'm pretty sure that's from all the cocaine, Jesse. Hulk also gets a big cheer as he enters and as they line up in the ring the crowd goes ballistic. It's hard to measure but it feels like an even 50-50 split in support.

The bell rings and we are underway. It's all very even in the early stages. Hulk comes out on top of a collar-and-elbow tie-up but Warrior overpowers him in a test of strength. Eventually, Hulk fights back up and pushes Warrior down to his knees. They criss cross into a body slam from Hulk but Warrior shrugs it off. Then another criss cross leads to a body slam from Warrior but Hulk gives it a no-sell as well. Warrior clotheslines Hulk over the top rope and as he lands Hulk tweaks his knee. Uh oh.

“My brother, in the 90s mullets will no longer be in fashion!” “No, it's not true! It can't be true!”

The ref sees Hulk struggling to stand and asks if he wants to call it a day but Hulk's getting paid way too much for this show so he says no. And then he triumphs over the adversity of potential injury by... deciding to feel better. Yeah, he stops selling the knee and takes Warrior into the corner for some punches. Now that he's in control Hulk starts to slow down the pace to keep up his momentum. So far this isn't what I'd call good but it's good enough to be carried by an incredibly hot crowd. It works in a way that Hulk/Andre didn't work.

One interesting thing that it's worth noting is that Hulk's the one working heel so far. People have said in the thread that he always worked a heel style but it's far more explicit here. He applies a long headlock with a back suplex tossed in but Warrior breaks out and they collide with a double clothesline. Both men drop to the mat and spend an age teasing a double countout. Seriously, the ref spends ages just staring at them before even starting the count and then he gets all the way to 9 before they stir. Nice moment, very fitting for the mystique of the match.

Both men come back to their feet and Hulk comes in strong with a series of blows but oh yes, Warrior's is hulking up! gently caress yes! Take that, Hulk, see how you like it! Warrior shrugs off Hulk's attacks and replies with a snap suplex. He slaps on a bear hug that lasts for what feels like forever but Hulk breaks out and sends Warrior running into the referee. I think we all know what this means, it's shenanigans time!

“But I love my 'business at the front, party at the back'” “I know, brother. I know.”

So Warrior goes for a shoulder tackle but he whiffs and Hulk makes the cover. Somehow it's enough to keep Warrior down on the mat for a three count but the ref's still clean knocked out! Hulk goes to wake the ref but Warrior hits a back suplex and then he gets a visible three count as well. The ref finally recovers and crawls over to the count the pin but it's too late, Hulk kicks out. Hulk rolls Warrior up but the ref is out of position so by the time he makes the count Warrior has a chance to kick out. Now the first visible pinfall was a nice touch, the second was a tad excessive and now things are just getting silly.

We're deep in the closing stages now. Warrior lifts Hulk up for the Press Slam and holy poo poo it's the most uncomfortable thing I've seen while watching these shows. Warrior's arms are shaking so bad and he's huffing and puffing and he can just barely do it and it looks like he's about to drop Hulk and kill him at any moment. Still, Warrior just about manages it and hits the Press Slam, it's messy as hell. Warrior follows up with a splash but HULK KICKS OUT!

A terrible idea in progress

Welp, Hulk's kicked out of his opponent's finisher and we all know what that means. Time to run through that familiar ending sequence. Warrior sends punches flying in but Hulk's hulking up with his eyes bugging out wide. Ah well, it was a good run, lads. Hulk nails Warrior with a big boot and runs off the ropes but WARRIOR DODGES THE LEG DROP! Hulk's sprawling on his rear end and Warrior follows up with another splash and WINS THE MATCH!

HULK LOSES!

HULK LOSES!

Oh man, I knew this was coming but it still feels so good. Hulk realises that he's lost and collapses to his knees in sorrow. Haw haw. I dunno, maybe I shouldn't get this much vicarious pleasure from seeing Hulk lose but he's been a blight on this project since day one and my hatred for him has only got worse. Hulk picks up the WWF Title that is no longer his and hands it off to Warrior as the two men hug. And then is he... is he... yes, Hulk is loving off! You don't get to stick around and leech off someone else's heat this year, buddy. Warrior celebrates with both belts as the crowd goes mad and gently caress yes, we get our first ever pyro as fireworks go off all around the arena. Ok, this feels like a genuine moment.

RAAAAAAARGHHHH!!!

Despite not expecting much I ended up finding that to be pretty fun. The action was very bland for most of the match but it came together towards the end for a really strong finish. I really liked seeing how they both brought in their individual signature spots and meshed them together. As a spectacle it wound up being entertaining. So now the question becomes where do things go from here? Cause I know all about this match but I know nothing about the fallout. I'm interested to see how long Hulk stays out of the title picture and what's coming next for Warrior. The next big money match has to be Warrior/Savage and I assume it's coming at some point but I'll be damned if I know when.

I came into this show with very low expectations and I'm coming out with a fairly positive reaction. None of the matches stood out as amazing and there were some booking decisions I really disagreed with but I'm willing to put all that aside for one simple reason: things are happening. After complaining at Royal Rumble about how stagnant everything felt this was a show where characters were growing and changing all over the card. Andre turned face, Hennig lost his perfect record, Elizabeth returned, the Twin Towers tumbled, Greg's gone country, so many things that leave us with exciting new possibilities as we continue on this journey. And for that alone I'm awarding this show a healthy four Kanes.

/10

Addendum: There's one last person we need to wave goodbye to with this show. And friends, this may well be the saddest goodbye of them all. This is someone who has been a constant presence throughout our journey into the annals of WWF history. He was always entertaining, always a delight and always outrageously dressed. So from both myself and Tim Gunn, we save a big thank you to Jesse Ventura for all the wonderful memories.

Things just aren't going to be the same without you.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Warrior :toot: :toot: :toot:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

dsriggs posted:

:cop: Boss Man :cop:

This sequence is so slick, it's always nice to be reminded what a good big man Traylor was

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The best thing about Bossman was his verstility. He could be a complete shithead heel or a babyface-in-peril even at his size and he could make you believe it. He was one of those guys who you could put anywhere on a card and he'd deliver.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

While there wasn't much story going into Hogan vs. Warrior, there is one piece of build-up that you need to watch. Everyone needs to watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsVXn1kLNj4

"...just sign the loving contract, dude. Jesus Christ."

Summerslam 90 is a decent enough show from what I remember, but Survivor Series is when this thread goes six stars.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gotta love Hogan still kicking out, but only a fraction of a second too late

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

Jesse is the only person so far to appear on-screen at every single show in the thread, isn't he?

(Hogan missed the 88 Royal Rumble, although that wasn't actually a PPV)

I think Jimmy Hart also was at every show at this point except one, No Holds Barred (which shouldn't really count as a PPV either).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, Rarity, if you didn't notice, Hogan made sure to kick out at 3.0001 and then made 80% of the post-match about him, whether it was the vague, never-gonna-happen-at-this-point hinting of a heel turn or just making it about him pouting about losing the belt rather than actually passing the torch.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The first time I saw Hogan/Warrior as a kid I lost my goddamn little mind.

I watched it again years later expecting to eye it more critically, and ending up losing my goddamn little mind all over again.

The best modern comparison is, ironically, Hulk Hogan vs The Rock at Wrestlemania 18.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Shiki Dan posted:

Jesse is the only person so far to appear on-screen at every single show in the thread, isn't he?

(Hogan missed the 88 Royal Rumble, although that wasn't actually a PPV)

I think Jimmy Hart also was at every show at this point except one, No Holds Barred (which shouldn't really count as a PPV either).

I really love stats so I've actually been tracking this. The only people who've been ever present at this point are Jesse, Zombie Mean Gene and Hulk (who I appear to have marked as present for RR88 and I'm too lazy to check right now)

e: I just checked and of course Hulk was on it, he was signing the contract for their title match on The Main Event

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, Rarity, if you didn't notice, Hogan made sure to kick out at 3.0001 and then made 80% of the post-match about him, whether it was the vague, never-gonna-happen-at-this-point hinting of a heel turn or just making it about him pouting about losing the belt rather than actually passing the torch.

I saw this come up as I was looking for reactions round the web and I guess for me I was comparing to WM4 when Savage won the belt and Hulk would not gently caress off. At least here Hulk and Warrior got his nice big pyro celebration all to himself.

Rarity fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rarity posted:

I saw this come up as I was looking for reactions round the web and I guess for me I was comparing to WM4 when Savage won the belt and Hulk would not gently caress off. At least here Hulk and Warrior got his nice big pyro celebration all to himself.

Then years later, when doing an interview for the Self-Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior DVD, Hogan would boast that while Warrior won and celebrated, everyone was paying more attention to Hogan leaving. Ugh.