Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I thought that was intentional and laughed a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Um I mean yes, I did a funny. Aren't I smart?

I've never seen a single Rocky movie

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I feel like 1990 is when Hulk Hogan started becoming poisonous. Since just before the PPVs even started, Hogan was on top and while we can harp on his matches and angles, he was on top for a reason. He was the end-all be-all of wrestling and everyone backstage loved him for it. Wrestlers regularly thanked him because if wasn't for him, WWF wouldn't have been so successful and they wouldn't have jobs. Guys like Bret Hart and Warrior went on record to say that his leadership was earned and he was a good dude then. Not perfect, but getting your buddy a spot in a Summerslam main event at your side isn't the worst thing.

Then his star started to dim and his control started to show more. He was apparently supposed to lose Royal Rumble 1990 to Mr. Perfect, but had it changed (to be fair, I agree with him. That wasn't Perfect's match to win). He passed the torch to the newer, more colorful Hogan model in Warrior and unlike when Savage was champ, Warrior wasn't treated as an extension of Hogan. And while I'm not sure how much of it was Hogan's doing, the double main event in Summerslam 1990 paints a rough picture. No longer the champion and face of the company, Hogan was put in a storyline with the then-top heel. As for new champion Warrior, he was immediately put up against a midcarder. A great midcarder, but one that he already won a feud against a year earlier. The title match at Summerslam is based on the logic of, "This guy cheated to beat him a year and a half ago." That's momentum-killing.

Up until 1990, Hogan was riding the wave. Now we're getting to the years where he becomes desperate and you're going to see some interesting stuff go down.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Although it's kind of interesting that of the mighty string of monster heels that Hogan killed with the boot/legdrop/pin, he only got by Earthquake through overbooking and then it was a countout. Probably the only one Hogan *didn't* manage to bury into the center of the planet.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rarity posted:

We get things underway as the crowd rips into huge “HOGAN” chants. Somehow it appears that Hulk is more than over than ever. What the hell, world?

I totally brought into "Earthquake brutalized Hulk Hogan and only the prayers (and merch purchases!) of all the little Hulkamaniacs can save him now!" and seeing him come back to teach Earthquake a lesson was incredibly exciting v:shobon:v

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

DeathChicken posted:

Although it's kind of interesting that of the mighty string of monster heels that Hogan killed with the boot/legdrop/pin, he only got by Earthquake through overbooking and then it was a countout. Probably the only one Hogan *didn't* manage to bury into the center of the planet.

Well, he killed Earthquakes until then super protected finisher and it only went to count out thanks to some of that sweet sweet over booking.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh my god, we're still stalling. Piper and Vince discuss the main event while the cage crew continue the set up. Pretty sure you're not beating that record tonight, boys. Piper thinks that Rude will win. If only I had your confidence, Roddy.

We're not done yet. Back we go for more interviews as Mooney is with Earthquake and friends on holy poo poo, the state of Earthquake's back is not healthy. He's got a ton of thick gashes from where Bossman's laid into him with a chair. drat boy! Earthquake cuts another shouty promo saying he's not done with Hulk or Bossman because what they've done his back. Jimmy warns that Hulk should get earthquake insurance and Dino adds that he's going to pay. Well sure, I don't think anyone expects free earthquake insurance in this day and age. Thanks neoliberalism.

Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

For gently caress sake, get on with it! Zombie Mean Gene is with the Ultimate Warrior who's in a joking mood. “Do you know what Rude and Heenan have in common with the Liberty Bell?” he asks. “One is cracked and the other is a ding-dong”. Hey, I'm the one who makes jokes around here, buddy! Ok that was a pretty good one. Zombie Mean Gene laughs until Warrior growls at him, hehe. Warrior claims that being the WWF champion is his inalienable right so someone clearly skipped civics class in school. Rude won't be able to prevent him establishing a perfect union between him and the warriors. They don't fear the frontier of a new unknown but revel in it because these things are his lifeblood. Hmm yes, very salient points, sir.

WWF Title Cage Match
Rick Rude w/ Bobby Heenan vs. The Ultimate Warrior

Oh my god, I am so loving hype for this one and not because mah boy Rick Rude main eventing and getting a shot at the title. Warrior and Rude have proven to be a fantastic combination in the past and when you add the steel cage this match has the potential to be off the charts. Rude walks out for his striptease routine and calls the crowd a bunch of “Pennsylvania pissants”. Hehehe, no one's got a way with words quite like Rude. I know that he's got zero chance of winning this match but I still want it to happen so bad.

Out comes Warrior and he races to the ring where instead of shaking the ropes he shakes the entire loving cage. He's practically tearing the wall off, it looks loving rad. Warrior keeps on racing around the outside so Rude climbs up the cage and we get an amazing visual of the two men staring off while Warrior lifts the belt up high. Warrior needs to enter the cage now but doors are for mere mortal men so instead he climbs up the cage and starts brawling with Rude as he goes over the top. Warrior slams Rude's head off the post of the cage and he falls back off the top rope. We're not messing around in the lower gears here, clearly.

How can you not go crazy for this?

As you must surely have come to expect now from these two we get some wonderful selling from Rude as he gets thrown all around the cage. It's all he can do to duck when Warrior charges and Warrior's momentum sends him flying into the cage wall. And welp, it looks like the damage is already taking its toll because Rude has been busted wide open. This is some hard-hitting poo poo here. Now it's Rude's turn to slam Warrior into the cage. There's little in the way of wrestling going on but a hell of a lot of violence.

Rude goes for the Rude Awakening but Warrior powers out of it. He knocks Rude down and tries a splash but Rude gets his knees up in time. God, my heart is in my mouth for so much of this. You can do it, Rude! It's a bit hard to tell but it looks like Warrior's been busted open as well now. Talk about your battles. Rude goes back to the well and this time he nails the Rude Awakening! Pin him! Pin him! But Rude refuses to pin and he refuses to go for the door OH gently caress HE'S CLIMBING THE CAGE.

Rick Rude, you mad son of a bitch

Putting the whole 'why didn't you pin him?' logic aside, this looks awesome. Rude connects with an axe handle from the top of the cage! Dude! Heenan's screaming at Rude to get him to leave but Rude don't give a gently caress, back up the cage he goes. I know Rude's a heel and all but that's such a cool babyface moment for Rude there. He goes for another axe handle but this time Warrior catches him. Warrior starts crawling for the door and he's going to get out but Heenan runs in and slams it in his face! Rude staggers over for the cover but it's only a two count! Jesus, this match!

Both men get to their feet and rush in, winding up in a shoulder collision that leaves both men down. Aaaa! Rude shakes the cobwebs out first and crawls for the door and he's so close. He's so heartbreakingly close. He's got half his body outside when Warrior grabs his foot to pull him so Heenan runs up and grabs Rude's arms and we got ourselves a tug of war! And then somewhere in this chaos Warrior accidentally gets hold of Rude's tights and wrenches them down and exposes his butt for the world to see. And let me tell you, the ladies in the crowd they lose their poo poo.

Simply ravishing

Uh oh, Warrior's had enough of all this fun and games. He grabs Heenan and brings him into the ring for an atomic drop that sends him flying back out of the cage door. The ref swings it closed again as Warrior goes through his hulk up routine. He hits the best version of the Press Slam that he's managed yet and climbs up the side of the cage to escape. Oh well, it's about as inevitable as I expected. Warrior celebrates by swinging the belt around his head like a baseball bat while he wonders if they'll let him wrestle against Rude every show.

This match was the loving bomb. It's not exactly surprising considering how good their previous outings have been and they put on another top show here. While they didn't do much to innovate with the gimmick they took every trapping of the cage matches of the era and meshed them together in such a perfect story. I'm so thrilled that Rude got the big main event showcase that I'd been wanting for him. However, as great as this was it didn't quite have the emphasis that it should have. With Rude being an afterthought for the last couple of shows and with this PPV having a couple of strong angles running through the show it made it feel like a bit of an afterthought. At the end of the day though it was everything I wanted from it so what more can I ask for?

Besides a Rude title reign, obviously.

RAAAAAAARGHHHH!!!

Oh my god, I think we've reached a milestone in this retrospective. This is the first show which I would unequivocally categorise as a good show. I enjoyed it from start to finish with only one real roadbump getting in the way. The main event was an absolute stonker, the Tag Team title match was also really fun, the introduction of Slaughter added some real bite and gently caress me, that Dusty angle blew me away. It's really noticeable now that some of the real dregs are being drained from the roster so we're seeing a real spike in match quality. When it comes to the final rating I'm going to present this show with a new thread record, seven Kanes!

/10

Addendum:

poo poo.

This is Rick Rude's last PPV appearance.

gently caress everything.

Ok, ok, I'm composing myself. gently caress.

So when this thread started I was watching these shows from a very detached position. I wanted to critique and appreciate in equal measure but it was from a distant perspective. Rick Rude changed all that. From the first time he walked out with a lady's face on his butt I was hooked. He was entertaining in a very modern way. Then with every appearance he got better. His ringwork improved, his character became more realised and he kept on delivering. It wasn't long before he was the highlight of my show and with that being gone it's going to leave a hole.

I feel like Rude's impact on the business and his legacy have been sadly forgotten in the last 25 years. Here is a guy who pushed the boat out so much and was one of the stars of the 80s and yet these days nobody would know him. That is such a shame to me. Velveteen Dream put in a huge tribute to Rude at NXT Takeover War Games and it delighted me so much to see that someone out there still sees and recognises the fantastic talent that this man possessed. So here's to Rick Rude, may his muscular medley live on forever.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

You should watch the WCW Dangerous Alliance stuff if you get a chance. Paul Heyman led a stable consisting of Rick Rude, Steve Austin, Arn Anderson, Bobby Eaton and briefly, Larry Zbyszko. For a time they held all the undercard titles in WCW and Rick Rude was phenomenal.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
:eng101: His son is the reigning United States Champion in WWE.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

sean10mm posted:

:eng101: His son is the reigning United States Champion in WWE.

You're loving kidding me

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rarity posted:

You're loving kidding me

He is kidding. Bobby isn't related.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gaz-L posted:

He is kidding. Bobby isn't related.

Good, I would have been wondering how I missed hearing that at some point in the last ten years

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

If you want to be extra depressed, Rick Rude has less than a decade left to live.

Also having looked over the next Observer Awards, I have realized that they violate forum rules. They don't do an extreme violation, but one nonetheless. Therefore, I must ask that Jerusalem promise not to probate me for the writings of one Dave Meltzer.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Rarity posted:

Addendum:

poo poo.

This is Rick Rude's last PPV appearance.

gently caress everything.

Ok, ok, I'm composing myself. gently caress.

So when this thread started I was watching these shows from a very detached position. I wanted to critique and appreciate in equal measure but it was from a distant perspective. Rick Rude changed all that. From the first time he walked out with a lady's face on his butt I was hooked. He was entertaining in a very modern way. Then with every appearance he got better. His ringwork improved, his character became more realised and he kept on delivering. It wasn't long before he was the highlight of my show and with that being gone it's going to leave a hole.

I feel like Rude's impact on the business and his legacy have been sadly forgotten in the last 25 years. Here is a guy who pushed the boat out so much and was one of the stars of the 80s and yet these days nobody would know him. That is such a shame to me. Velveteen Dream put in a huge tribute to Rude at NXT Takeover War Games and it delighted me so much to see that someone out there still sees and recognises the fantastic talent that this man possessed. So here's to Rick Rude, may his muscular medley live on forever.

...you can always try :wcw:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah, Rude follows this up with a WCW run that a lot of people say is better than his WWF one

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Between this thread, WWE and just getting into NJPW all my wrestling hours are fully accounted for sadly. Momma got to save some time for her video games.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rarity posted:

Between this thread, WWE and just getting into NJPW all my wrestling hours are fully accounted for sadly. Momma got to save some time for her video games.

Simple, drop WWE! :haw:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gaz-L posted:

Simple, drop WWE! :haw:

But my bae Dolph Ziggler needs me :ohdear:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Rick Rude is one of the best wrestlers in the entire world in '92 WCW.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rarity posted:

We... we can get you help. We can find a place where he can't hurt you.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Yes yes Rude's gone from WWF very sad. Guys, Survivor Series 1990 is next!

itshappening.gif

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gaz-L posted:

We... we can get you help. We can find a place where he can't hurt you.

Don't joke. One day I will be Mrs. Ziggles :colbert:

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Rarity posted:

I hope this isn't too much shameless-self-promotiony, but come on down to my Classic New Japan thread. In a day or so, I'll be posting a review of Rick Rude vs Masahiro Chono for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Rarity posted:

You're loving kidding me

:v:

His character is very much derived from Rude's though, to the point where he used the Rude Awakening move and everything.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
While it may be sad that his career (in-ring) in the WWF ends here, his absolute career best expands from his performance here into WCW and he becomes a true main-eventer and 5-star performer that he was building up to be.
In a way, his career is kind of the inverse of Steve Austin's (quite appropriate, as they were very similar and good friends both inside the ring and outside).

His match with Chono in NJPW in 92' is one of the absolute best of the 90's, anywhere.
His work with the Dangerous Alliance is the full potential of his character and ring work we see here only teased.

It's really a shame that he seems forgotten by mainstream Wrestling history nowadays...like Pillman he could absolutely been a full force alongside Steve Austin in the Attitude Era if it wasn't for a tragic and untimely injury that ruined his career.
In fact, he was actually working towards an in-ring comeback when he passed away in 99'.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I loving HATED Rick Rude as a kid, and I mean that in the best way. He was such an arrogant prick and he cheated so then he'd be arrogant again and it made me so, so mad and I wanted to see him get his comeuppance so much!

One of my absolute favorite memories to this day remains Rude's reaction when he discovers the woman he was putting the moves on is married to Jake "The Snake" Roberts :hellyeah:

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I loving HATED Rick Rude as a kid, and I mean that in the best way. He was such an arrogant prick and he cheated so then he'd be arrogant again and it made me so, so mad and I wanted to see him get his comeuppance so much!

One of my absolute favorite memories to this day remains Rude's reaction when he discovers the woman he was putting the moves on is married to Jake "The Snake" Roberts :hellyeah:

My earliest memories are from slightly after he left the WWF, but I came to appreciate him much more later, and now after seeing his WCW work he's pretty much my favourite part of early-90s WCW. He was less cocky and more menacing, but he pulled that off well too. Him and Hennig are sorely missed. :(

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rick Rude was my top heel among my wrestling figures from this era. Found him at my parents house the other day along with top face Jake Roberts.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
If you want to see the Rick Rude/Jake Roberts blowoff match, it's on (of all places) the WWE "50 Best Finishing Moves" Blu-Ray as an extra.

In honour of the thread, I chose Rick Rude as one of my tag-team in a WWE 2K16 match against my kid today.

You REALLY want to irritate a nine-year-old? Knock down his favorite create-a-wrestler, then have Rick stand above him doing pelvic circles until he revives.

Then do it again.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Rarity posted:

He'll still be doing the same poo poo so you won't miss a thing if you leave and come back at literally any point in the next 10 years. Possibly 20

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Marmaduke! posted:

He'll still be doing the same poo poo so you won't miss a thing if you leave and come back at literally any point in the next 10 years. Possibly 20

We might get lucky and he'll finally get released.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Distorted Kiwi posted:

In honour of the thread, I chose Rick Rude as one of my tag-team in a WWE 2K16 match against my kid today.

You REALLY want to irritate a nine-year-old? Knock down his favorite create-a-wrestler, then have Rick stand above him doing pelvic circles until he revives.

Then do it again.

You're doing fine work :)

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I'm randomly reminded of my favorite John Morrison moment. It was a house show back when he was teaming with Miz, he knocks down his opponent (it might have been Shannon Moore) and does the Rude Swivel. Moore punches him mid-swivel. So Morrison just tees off on him with stomps, stopping to angrily swivel at him some more between kicks

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Survivor Series 1990: The Endless Cycle of Life and Death

What I Think I Know

• It's time for the most important, most seminal, most vital debut in WWF history. That's right, tonight is the night we finally meet the Gobbledy Gooker!
  • There's also some scrub called the Undertaker but who cares? He'll never amount to anything!

It's autumn 1990, little Rarity is going to her very first days of school and across the Atlantic our old friend Vince McMahon is preparing a thematic treatise on the short and fleeting nature of existence with Survivor Series 1990! Before we kick things off Vince runs us through the card and calls it “the epitome of tag team wrestling. It's no TLC match but sure, whatever you say. Now I'm not going to go over the matches here but one thing I will mention is that in their photo Power and Glory are wearing the doofiest loving sunglasses ever. Two years ago Hercules was a kayfabe Greek demigod and now he's wearing horrendously garish sunglasses like he's trolling for hookups on Venice Beach.

We are live from the Civic Centre in Hartford, CT and order has been somewhat restored in the commentary box as tonight it will be delivered by Gorilla Monsoon and Rowdy Roddy Piper. Which is not ideal because their voices are very similar so it's a little bit tough working out who's who. Gino explains that tonight's show culminate in a main event featuring all the survivors from the previous matches. That sounds like a clusterfuck and a half right there.

But wait, what's this? There's something far more important than a series of 4-on-4 elimination tag matches here.

It's the miracle of life, yo

That's something for us to worry about later though. Right now Piper is announcing that this is the first ever PPV being aired around the world to the US Armed Forces including all the guys in the Gulf and especially all the guys in the Gulf. Oh boy, this is sure some unfortunate timing considering one of the WWF's current angles. It's ok, as long as they play it cool they might be able to get away with it. Piper immediately ruins this plan by saying that he's going to charge Saddam Hussein double. I'm more concerned why Piper thinks Saddam is just going to be chilling out in the rec room of an American army base.

Zombie Mean Gene stands in the back, no idea yet of the wonderful adventure that awaits him this evening. For the present it is just another show and this is just another interview, one with the Ultimate Warrior and his team to be specific. Zombie Mean Gene runs down the methods of elimination and in an interesting wrinkle it looks like DQ is off the table. That could get messy fast.

So he asks the team for their thoughts on the match but Hawk doesn't even know his own thoughts. Man, I'd joke that you should lay off the drugs but seriously, lay off the loving drugs. Kerry says that the team will show what they can do and Animal adds that they won't break down the little Doomers. Geez, does everyone need their own nickname for their fans now? Warrior is extra incomprehensible tonight but I think he yells something about them being surrounded by a forcefield and there's no poison that can break what they have. One day a Warrior promo will actually mean something. One day.

RAAAAAAARGHHHH!!!

Curt Hennig and Demolition w/ Bobby Heenan and Mr. Fuji vs. The Ultimate Warrior, The Texas Tornado and Legion of Doom

We're seriously doing this match first? Wow guys, way to bury both of your champions. Or perhaps Warrior just needs a whole two hours to recover his stamina for the inevitable double duty he's pulling tonight. This could be a decent match though considering Hennig's in there it's got the hot LOD/Demolition feud to hold it up.

The heels all come out to Hennig's theme and it looks like Demolition have taken their career in one big giant loop because they are right back where they started with Fuji as their manager. Piper takes one look at Fuji and says “wax on, wax off”. No, Roddy! No, not all men of Asian heritage are secret martial arts gurus. I'm pretty sure the only chops that Fuji knows about are pork and lamb. Hennig joins them and it's good to know that in a post Rick Rude world I still have some perfection in my life. Don't ever leave me, Curt. I'll get abandonment issues.

SIGN OF THE NIGHT

It's the one on the right, obviously

While the heels all had to rock out together the faces are granted the dignity of getting individual entrances which means it's my first chance to check out LOD's theme and... I'm pretty disappointed actually. It starts off great with the catchphrase stringer but then it falls into generic rock riffs and it lacks the weight that it needs. I want to hear that 'poo poo is getting real' factor and I'm just not.

We're jumping right into the LOD/Demolition tension as Animal jumps Smash to kick things off and begins tearing into him. Smash responds with a floatover suplex which I'm very impressed by. I have to be fair to him, in this last year Smash has made an effort to up his game in the ring and it's showing. At this point my dislike for Demolition is mostly focused around Ax. Animal responds with a huge powerslam and I'm still feeling this feud.

Hennig tags in but he runs afoul of Animal who hits an atomic drop. Hennig throws himself out of it right into Hawk's arms where he gets a reverse atomic drop as well. Hehehe, I could watch Hennig get his rear end kicked for days. Kerry comes in against Ax and slaps on...

THE CLAWWWWWWW!

Luckily, Smash comes in to make the save but Warrior follows up with a shoulder tackle and a splash and that's enough send Ax home. Geez, has there been a year where Survivor Series didn't make Ax look like a giant loving loser? I swear he ends up jobbing out in the most pathetic ways each time. Crush takes over and connects with a really nice top rope knee drop. Very crisp. Hennig goes after Hawk but he blocks the punches with ease and returns fire with a stiff clothesline. Hennig needs to wrestle the big hosses more often.

The momentum switches when Hennig dodges a charge from Hawk and goes hurtling shoulder first into the ringpost. Hennig reaches Smash who eats a flying clothesline from Hawk but Crush is on hand to make the save. This brings in Animal as well and the two teams brawl to the hopeless pleas of the ref. Hawk even breaks off to give him a little kick! Dude, chill. Of course, there's no way these guys are regaining control so the ref calls for the bell and all four men are DQd. But I was told there weren't any DQs this year! Why did you lie to me, Zombie Mean Gene? I thought you were a man of integrity! LOD and Demolition keep on brawling on the outside and all the way to back. It's nowhere near as cool as when the Rockers and the Brain Busters did it.

WORST HAIR

Ohhhhh, what a rush (to the barbers to get that mess sorted)

Welp, Hennig is completely boned here, I think that much is clear. Warrior steps into the ring and now that I haven't got anyone else around to distract me I realise that Kerry looks like Warrior's less cool little brother. Seriously, he's got the same hair cut, the same style, the only thing that's missing is a body ravaged with three years of steroid abuse. Hennig sees Warrior coming and beckons to Kerry instead because he wants to stand up to his enemies like a man and a hero. So Warrior tags out and then Hennig runs over to beat on Kerry as he steps through the ropes. Haha, that is some super smart heeling there.

Despite Hennig's superior tactical nous Kerry soon gets the upper hand and tosses him out of the ring where Warrior smashes his head into Heenan's. Hey now, that's the man's gimmick you're harming right there. The ringpost sees some more action as Kerry goes shoulder first into it as well. I've reached a first impression of Gino and Piper as a commentary team and it's not favourable. They don't have much chemistry with each other, it's like the two men are just talking separately. Hennig rams Kerry's head off of the turnbuckle and follows up with the Perfectplex and Kerry is done. After the fact Gino points out that someone ripped off the turnbuckle padding at some point to expose the steel. Gee, sure woulda been nice if we'd seen that at the time!

“It's all right, Curt! I found your contact lens!”

We are down to one-on-one now as Warrior rushes in to keep the fight going. Hennig slams his head off the turnbuckle as well and he hits the Perfectplex and that is a drat beautiful nearfall right there. I almost believed that Hennig had won it. Almost. The crowd starts up a “Warrior!” chant as Hennig beats him down. He goes for a pinfall that Warrior kicks out of with such force that he lands on top of the ref. Hehe, I half expected a DQ for that. On commentary Piper says “there's so much heat here that dumb old egg could hatch”. Don't taunt me like that, buddy!

Warrior decides that this is the point where he wins the match so he engages his finishing sequence. All of a sudden he's no-selling Hennig's punches and he replies with a clothesline that Hennig sells like a ragdoll. He flips over like a baddie from Half-Life. Warrior follows up with a shoulder tackle and a splash and Hennig is done. This leaves Warrior as the sole survivor, exactly as we were all expecting. Let's turn things over to Piper to wrap it up. “How do you become a survivor? You need to be a leftover.” Ok, let's not turn things over to Piper in future.

Nope, this just isn't the same without Rude :smith:

This was decent enough I suppose but it was so, so predictable. As soon as I saw these lineups I knew that LOD and Demolition wouldn't be allowed to have any resolution and there was no way that Hennig was walking out of this one with a victory. So while the action in the ring was all right it wasn't good enough to really grab my interest in spite of its storytelling. Apart from that one nearfall on Warrior though, to be fair. That was a thing of beauty.

Addendum: Oh hey, the subtle clearout of talent I hate continues as this is Ax's last appearance on PPV and for me this is a cause for celebration. It never made sense why Ax was in Demolition. Not only because he was an awful wrestler but because under the face paint and the gimpwear he looks like a middle aged electrician. He never sold the gimmick the way Smash did and I think leaving him and Crush to carry on the Demolition legacy is the right call. Maybe now I'll actually like them a little bit!

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Rarity posted:

One day a Warrior promo will actually mean something. One day.

No. No, it will not. Trust me on this.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The best Road Warriors theme was when they used Iron Man back in the day.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Distorted Kiwi posted:

No. No, it will not. Trust me on this.

His "I'm going to literally die in two days" promo actually did.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Speaking of meaningful promos, this one seems pretty heartfelt, if very premature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzEeUXVDRg

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Rarity posted:

Addendum: Oh hey, the subtle clearout of talent I hate continues as this is Ax's last appearance on PPV and for me this is a cause for celebration. It never made sense why Ax was in Demolition. Not only because he was an awful wrestler but because under the face paint and the gimpwear he looks like a middle aged electrician. He never sold the gimmick the way Smash did and I think leaving him and Crush to carry on the Demolition legacy is the right call. Maybe now I'll actually like them a little bit!

After leaving the WWF, Ax would go to Japan for a year, still working under the Demolition gimmick, along with a new partner Demolition Hux, played by obscure Canadian wrestler and occasional actor Garry Robbins. He sucked in Japan too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rarity posted:

Kerry says that the team will show what they can do and Animal adds that they won't break down the little Doomers. Geez, does everyone need their own nickname for their fans now?

Heh. Foreshadowing.

As someone who started watching with the next Royal Rumble, reading WWF Magazine and watching earlier PPVs on VHS made me feel like I just missed out on so much. Rude, Bad News, Demolition as a trio, Andre, Akeem and...other people I won't mention...all came off as iconic to the time in their own way. 1991 is a lot more stable when it comes to the roster, so it's jarring to compare the two years.

They even came out with an NES game WrestleMania Challenge around that time where there were eight wrestlers and three of them were already gone. Andre and Rude were out of the company and Burtus Beefcake was off the active roster due to face explosion.