Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«40 »
Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Minor correction, but the Gobbledy Gooker's theme is "Turkey in the Straw."

Warrior referring to Tito's fanbase as Arribaderci is something that always sticks with me because as far as I know, it was never brought up again. Was Warrior just being weird? Did Tito beg him to namedrop Arribaderci in hopes that it would catch on? We may never know.

So next up is Royal Rumble 1991. Great starter PPV for a new fan, but probably doesn't hold up otherwise. Despite its flaws, it does have the best poster in WWE history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Oh, this is the show that marks something you might like or might make you quit this project, it could go either way

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Kanye West - Touch the Sky

1991 is a really interesting WWF year, there's a mix of great stuff along with the most offensive main event angle WWF ever did, arguably.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Without looking it up, what was Owen Hart doing in the the WWF at that time(1988)? How did he get ranked so high, yet I don't remember anything about him in the WWF until the mid 90s? I know he was the Blue Blazer, early on, but I didn't think it was anything of note.

Jason Sextro
Jul 30, 2003

Un alpha en développement depuis quatre ans? C'est incroyable!

Hockles posted:

Without looking it up, what was Owen Hart doing in the the WWF at that time(1988)? How did he get ranked so high, yet I don't remember anything about him in the WWF until the mid 90s? I know he was the Blue Blazer, early on, but I didn't think it was anything of note.

He was also doing Stampede and Japan iirc, but someone can give more specific details

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

1991 is a really interesting WWF year, there's a mix of great stuff along with the most offensive main event angle WWF ever did, arguably.

I'm going to talk about it as it goes on to add extra context to the shows and angles, but there's this very specific style of storytelling that WWF does starting from the end of WrestleMania 7 and ending at WrestleMania 8 that I always found interesting. It's something I've never seen anyone call out, but Vince definitely had a set concept of how to get people invested in his main event angles until the concept crashed hard and he moved on.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

PONYTAR
PONYTAR
PONYTAR

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Akira Maeda of Japan's UWF took Wrestler of the Year, with Ric Flair taking 2nd, New Japan's Tatsumi Fujinami taking 3rd, and WWF's Randy Savage and Ted DiBiase taking 4th and 5th.

Savage and DiBiase as the two best WWF seems fair, no complaints here

Best Heel ... Rick Rude taking 5th.

MY BOY

The Midnight Express would also win Tag Team of the Year, where WWF was only represented by Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard, who were only in WWF really for the tail end of 1988.

Even the 80s fans ignore the Rougeaus

WWF would, however, make its mark in Most Unimproved, with Bam Bam Bigelow taking first, Greg Valentine taking 2nd, and The Anabolic Warrior taking 5th.

Yet more proof that I am right about Greg and he should be given a one way ticket to irrelevance at the first opportunity

Who is The Anabolic Warrior, you may wonder?

Why, it's Dave Meltzer's pun name for The Ultimate Warrior, and yes, he used it for Warrior in the 1988 Wrestling Observer Awards. Every. Single. Time. We should retroactiely apologize to TNAMecca for using Shave Seltzer, because such a clever insulting name is simply in the spirit of Dave himself. We thought we were siding with Dave with our mockery of the name, but in reality we were mocking the next Dave Meltzer. It's us, we're the TNAMecca of the future.

God, that's really bad. The nickname doesn't even rhyme!

Dusty Rhodes won another award, Most Overrated! The Anabolic Warrior finished 2nd, Hulk Hogan 3rd, and Dino Bravo 5th.

It's like a Who's Who of people I think suck. Although I'm surprised to see Dino in 5th place. Surely nobody rates him in the first place?

Worst Wrestler went to The Anabolic Warrior, with Andre getting second, THE JUNKFOOD DOG (yes, JYD) getting 3rd, and Dino Bravo getting 4th.

More Dino hate yesssssssssssss

Worst Tag Team went to the duo of Boris Zhukov and Nikolai Volkoff, with 3rd going to The Powers of Pain.

And yet Demolition are all right? I don't want to know how that works

Mr. Fuji can add another Worst Manager to his trophy case.

He's got to have won it every year at this point, surely?

Second place went to The Anabolic Warrior vs. Hercules from Wrestlemania, Third place went to The Anabolic Warrior vs. The Honky Tonk Man from Summerslam (which is complete bullshit by the way, that match was perfect). Fourth place was a match between The Junkfood Dog and Andre that happened in Paris, and fifth place was Rick Rude vs. Jake Roberts from Wrestlemania.

Wow, gently caress this. Warrior/Honky was exactly how it should have been and Rude/Jake wasn't great but it was perfectly fine. There's been so much worse from the WWF alone.

Worst Feud went to Tully Blanchard vs. The Midnight Rider (I believe this was Dusty Rhodes). Second place went to Jim Duggan vs. Dino Bravo, third to Brutus Beefcake vs. Ron Bass (somewhere little J-Ru is weeping), and fourth place went to Junkfood Dog vs. Ron Bass.

Oh yeah, there was that clip showing a Burtus/Bass feud on one show. I totally forgot about that. Wow, dodged a bullet with that one.

Dr. Death Steve Williams won Worst on Interviews. Second place went to The Anabolic Warrior, and fifth place went to Andre.

Observer fans are just mad they don't understand space language.

Worst Gimmick went to the Midnight Rider. Second place went to Brutus Beefcake, third went to AKEEM THE AFRICAN DREAM, and fourth to MR. PERFECT.

Only a little worse than Mr. Perfect

WHAT THE ACTUAL gently caress?

Screw everything, these awards are bullshit

Biggest Shock of the Year went to JOSE GONZALES MURDERING BRUISER BRODY IN THE SHOWER WHAT THE gently caress WRESTLING

Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic. Second place was WWC STILL EMPLOYING JOSE GONZALES

Man, gently caress this carny sport

Third was WWF ignoring Adrian Adonis's death on TV

Wait, that's why Adonis stopped showing up on PPV. Man, I thought they'd just canned his rear end for being poo poo. Well that sucks because now I feel guilty for being glad he's gone.

Jose Gonzales, the man who murdered Bruiser Brody in the shower, is only the FOURTH MOST DISLIKED WRESTLER?

Internet fans are absolute worst. You should know this, you are one

DeathChicken posted:

Oh, this is the show that marks something you might like or might make you quit this project, it could go either way

Ooh, I'm curious now. Please let me know what you're talking about once it happens.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rarity posted:

Wait, that's why Adonis stopped showing up on PPV. Man, I thought they'd just canned his rear end for being poo poo. Well that sucks because now I feel guilty for being glad he's gone.

Keep that in mind when Dino stops showing up.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Kind of both, Adonis was canned, then he died in a car crash a year later.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

PONYTAR
PONYTAR
PONYTAR

Gavok posted:

Keep that in mind when Dino stops showing up.

Godammit

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gavok posted:

Minor correction, but the Gobbledy Gooker's theme is "Turkey in the Straw."

Warrior referring to Tito's fanbase as Arribaderci is something that always sticks with me because as far as I know, it was never brought up again. Was Warrior just being weird? Did Tito beg him to namedrop Arribaderci in hopes that it would catch on? We may never know.

So next up is Royal Rumble 1991. Great starter PPV for a new fan, but probably doesn't hold up otherwise. Despite its flaws, it does have the best poster in WWE history.

If Warrior says something weird, it's usually him.

Shiki Dan posted:

https://youtu.be/P4zYfaTBLk0

I seriously have to wonder if you were watching the same match, here.

Tom MaGee has hands down the most laughable offense out of ANYone I've seen in professional wrestling outside of maybe Jenna Morasca (not a trained worker), Tammy Sytch (again, not trained), Raja Lion and Dragon Dragon (who's intentionally meant to be funny).
He POSES in lieu of doing transition moves.
The difference is this guy is supposed to be a serious worker, and looks like someone Vince McMahon would blow loads over, and in the right place at the wrong time (anytime in the 1980's WWF) he could have gotten a major push.

Tom Magee, or "Mega Man" Magee as he was billed when I saw him at WWF house show in the 80s was indeed someone Vince had high hopes for. The apocryphal story goes is Bret Hart carried him so well in a match that Vince had thought he had found the next big thing. Then when Mega Man Magee was in the ring with someone who wasn't Hart, his limitations were plainly obvious, and he didn't stick around for long

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Davros1 posted:

Tom Magee, or "Mega Man" Magee as he was billed when I saw him at WWF house show in the 80s was indeed someone Vince had high hopes for. The apocryphal story goes is Bret Hart carried him so well in a match that Vince had thought he had found the next big thing. Then when Mega Man Magee was in the ring with someone who wasn't Hart, his limitations were plainly obvious, and he didn't stick around for long

Magee's best match was against Brian Bosworth in the hit action film Stone Cold. The RiffTrax for which is on Amazon Prime!

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

HUSS
HUSS
HUSS

Shiki Dan posted:

https://youtu.be/P4zYfaTBLk0

I seriously have to wonder if you were watching the same match, here.

Tom MaGee has hands down the most laughable offense out of ANYone I've seen in professional wrestling outside of maybe Jenna Morasca (not a trained worker), Tammy Sytch (again, not trained), Raja Lion and Dragon Dragon (who's intentionally meant to be funny).
He POSES in lieu of doing transition moves.
The difference is this guy is supposed to be a serious worker, and looks like someone Vince McMahon would blow loads over, and in the right place at the wrong time (anytime in the 1980's WWF) he could have gotten a major push.

It should also be known that the crowd was laughing at how bad this match was

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Kanye West - Touch the Sky

IDK if this is a "japanese crowds are silent and respectful" stereotype but one thing i've heard about stuff like a Warrior match i've seen in Japan is that if they do the "wooooOOOOOOOH" thing leading up to a wrestler's big move it's usually sarcastic/derogatory

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Davros1 posted:

If Warrior says something weird, it's usually him.

So was this a case of they wanted him figure things out on his own or they didn't want to bother training him?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rarity posted:

Godammit

To be fair, Dino's death is much, much more sordid than Adonis'. Adonis was in a car accident. Bravo was killed in a MOB HIT.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Tito Santana was born in Texas.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Since this is basically the end of the decade (1990 WWF has a lot more in common with the 80s than the upcoming years), Rarity, what would be your top 5 favorite WWF PPV matches thus far?
Not even the ones that would necessarily be "technically" the best by star ratings or historical value, but the ones you enjoyed the most for any and all reasons.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

PONYTAR
PONYTAR
PONYTAR

Xerzes posted:

Tito Santana was born in Texas.

...Kayfabe is dead

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Tito was born in Mission, Texas which is quite literally on the border with Mexico at the very Southern tip of Texas and had a 90+% population of Mexican descent.

He's Mexican AND American.
You can be both, you know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tejano

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Shiki Dan posted:

Tito was born in Mission, Texas which is quite literally on the border with Mexico at the very Southern tip of Texas and had a 90+% population of Mexican descent.

He's Mexican AND American.
You can be both, you know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tejano

Thank you for knowing more about this topic than me.

«40 »