Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Stopped by my parents house again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I just finished catching up with the thread, and oh boy we're right smack in the middle of my prime WWF nostalgia time. I was an incredibly huge Hogan mark as a little boy (I liked the ending of WM9) and I'm looking forward to seeing things through a new lens and also some stuff I probably never saw to begin with. The next few shows, including the rest of this Summerslam, should be an absolute treat to read about.

Also I am happy to be the exactly one millionth person to say that this thread rules, Rarity. Thanks for doing it :)

PS: do not mourn for poor Jacques. Cartoonish heels have their place, and he owned the hell out of the gimmick. The Mountie deserves your respect :canada:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I think this is right around where Kid Me stopped watching for awhile, just because Slaughter fireballing Hogan traumatized the poo poo out of me. As a result I've never seen Summerslam 91 all the way through

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
We kick off tonight's interviews in the back with Sean Mooney and Curt Hennig, who has traded in Heenan for a brand new coach who is called... the Coach. Good to see you made the effort with that one, guys. According to Wikipedia this dude is John Tolos, a former Greek-Canadian wrestler but I've never heard of him so I'm guessing he ain't bringing much to the table. Hennig shows off his Intercontinental belt and shows that it says 'champion' on the front. He explains that to be a champion you have to be perfect and Bret is excellent but that's not the same as being perfect. Wait a second...

WHAT?

WHAT?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Intercontinental Title Match
Bret Hart vs. Curt Hennig w/ The Coach

Oh my god oh my god oh my god OH gently caress YES holy poo poo. But seriously, you guys. Oh my god, this is amazing. Like for real, it doesn't get much better than this. For 1991, for the roster that we're looking at right now? These are hands down the two best workers that the WWF has to offer and we're about to see them go one-on-one. This is one of the first matches in the timeline where I've come into it expecting to be blown away. And wow, we're not messing around with Bret's singles run, are we? I figured they'd take some time to have him bubble up first but no, we're jumping all in here.

Holy gently caress, this is gonna be so good.

Aw boy, here we go. Bret's out first and he's commemorating his singles run with a brand new jacket that's all pink and leather and man, he's just the coolest. He's still coming out to the Hart Foundation theme so we're not quite at maximum Bret just yet. And look, Stu and Helen Hart are both in the stands to support their baby boy. Awww. Hennig's out as well and he's spitting gum and catching towels and he's done a Rude and got himself a short 90s haircut and not even this lame Coach dude can ruin my buzz. Oh my god I'm already so hyped for this

I'm loving the new look

Before the bell rings Bret jumps out the ring to give his sunglasses to a fan so I'm guessing he's now making that a regular thing. We kick things off with a great technical start with Bret coming out ahead. He pulls off an amazing crucifix pin and then traps Hennig with a whip-fast headlock takedown. Oh my god, it's so good already. Hennig wriggles and squirms but no matter what he does he can't escape from this headlock until at last he knees Bret in the gut. gently caress, this is beautiful. It's crisp, it's fast, it's athletic, it's what wrestling should be.

Bret keeps up control as he gets Hennig back in the headlock after another snappy takedown. Hennig escapes once more but Bret catches his kick and takes him down to stomp him in the gut. The two men trade body slams in quick succession and Bret knocks Hennig out of the ring so the champion decides this is the right time to take his ball and go home. Boo! No, you stay in that ring and deliver the awesome match like you should do, buddy! Luckily, Bret agrees with me so he slides out the ring and drags Hennig back. Sadly Hennig's singlet is a victim of these proceedings. Not to mention much of his dignity.

MOST OFFENSIVE COMMENT

Rowdy Roddy Piper: “Perfect's yelling rape. It ain't gonna help!”

...I'm not even touching that one.

Up in the stands Stu and Helen are looking concerned. Heenan says that this is because “they snuck in”. Hehehe, oh will you stop? Hennig manages to get in a cheap shot to take the momentum and begins to go after Bret's ribs. Gino thinks that whoever wins this one will need “intestinal fortitude” and Heenan retorts with “Did you think this was a lottery?” Well said. Hennig sends Bret flying into a random dude milling around ringside who turns out to be the international photographer. I'm not sure if this means he's a photographer who's international or he takes photographs to used internationally but either way he probably shouldn't have been standing where he was right now.

Does Gambia really need photos of the match this badly?

Back in the ring Hennig connects with a rolling necksnap while Piper says that he “looks like the Wicked Witch of the West”. Um, Hennig does not keep flying monkeys nor does he melt on contact with water but sure, whatever. In a moment where I get excited for a cool spot both men climb up the turnbuckle from the side but they end up only falling back in the ring which is kinda lame. Oh well, it's still only 1991. Hennig slings Bret across the ring as the crowd starts a round of “LET'S GO BRET” chants. Oh man, not only is it cool to hear the crowd getting behind Bret but that's also the debut of the 'LET'S GO' chant. It's about drat time.

Hennig hurls himself into applying a sleeper hold on Bret who eventually powers out. Bret goes back to the well for another crucifix pin but Hennig scouts it and reverses into a Samoan drop. Dude, that was frickin' sweet. With Hennig in the ascendancy he keeps up the hurt and hits the Perfectplex BUT BRET KICKS OUT! Oh my god, heart in mouth moment right there. Heenan claims that “nobody's ever kicked out of that” but I'm pretty sure I have memories of Burtus doing just that back at WM6. Even so the Perfectplex has still been protected enough that I really thought that was going to do it.

Hennig just wants to show Bret his new deodorant

Bret nails a Manhattan drop and an atomic drop then slings Hennig across the ring so hard he crotches himself against the turnbuckle. Ow. We're lucky that Curtis Axel was born back in '79, folks. With Bret firmly in control again Gino announces that it's “Suplex City coming up”. Somewhere in the world a young Brock Lesnar screams and flings his sofa over his head. Bret starts running through the Five Moves of Doom with a Russian legsweep, a backbreaker and a second rope elbow drop with the crowd being so into every near fall. Geez, the heat for this match is insane.

Sensing that Bret's on a roll, Coach gets up on the apron to distract him and even though Bret knocks him off Hennig kicks the middle rope right into his dick. Owwwww. The “LET'S GO BRET” chants are deafening all around the arena as Hennig takes advantage to target the groin with a series of kicks and leg drops. Hennig goes for one more leg drop right between Bret's legs but Bret catches it and in the most beautiful smooth transition he rolls over straight into THE SHARPSHOOTER! THERE IT IS! Oh my god, I've been waiting five years for Bret to bring this one out. Hennig taps because of course he taps and Bret is the new Intercontinental champion. Bret closes out by stripping off Hennig's singlet completely and lifting up the belt.

gently caress me, that was better than sex

Just when you thought this moment couldn't get any better who should appear but your friend and mine, LORD ALFRED HAYES! He's up with Stu and Helen but before he can get many words in Bret rocks up with belt in hand and the Hart family embrace in celebration. Awww. That's so lovely and it's really putting Bret over hard as the classic pure-hearted face. Alfred describes the scene as “highly emotional” while trying to get involved like an awkward goon. Stu comes over for a few words and calls it “wonderful” but then Alfred cuts him off from speaking any more, going so far as saying “he's a little bit speechless” all while STU IS STILL TALKING. Wow Alfred, way to be a rampant dickbag.

God drat, this absolutely ruled. These guys went for close to twenty minutes and they were just as tight in the closing stages as they were in the opening. From a pure conditioning standpoint it's great to see guys who are aren't blowing up a few minutes into the match and are capable of working to the quality level that I expect as a modern fan. Then we come to the technical ability on display which was just a cut above anything else that we've seen so far. It's so exciting to see this and no that this is the future of wrestling. And of course, how amazing was the way they put Bret over here? This is the first time I've seen him where I can see really see him becoming a headline guy.

Bit rude of Owen to no show to be honest

Addendum: Only a quick interjection here. Don't worry, we're not saying goodbye to either of these guys. It's just that I've found out from OSWReview that Hennig wrestled this match with a broken tailbone. I wanted to acknowledge that because holy poo poo, I did not notice at all. That just makes it even more incredible.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This was legit the first match I recall watching and just being blown away purely from a technical standpoint. Most of the time I was used to short squashes or matches that relied heavily on the charisma of the wrestlers involved (Hogan especially), but I just sat there in awe when I first saw this match, and must have rewatched it a dozen times in utter amazement. What a match.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

If you watch this match already knowing that Perfect is hurt you can kinda see it in the way he moves at times, but it just makes it even more incredible that they were able to put on such a good match.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

A memory that sticks out from this is how after WM7, the Hart Foundation merely split with no segments or angles explaining it. Bret started going solo and Anvil did commentary for Wrestling Challenge (still having matches every now and then). Bret mostly wrestled jobbers on Superstars and the commentators were taken aback by his cool, new submission move that they didn't know how to call. It wasn't until a few weeks later when Bret competed on Challenge and Anvil's all, "Bret calls that one the Sharpshooter!"

Anvil on commentary was short-lived, but I liked how supportive he was of Bret. It was very "last scene in the Sandlot."

Also around this time, Bret faced the Undertaker at an MSG house show that was later televised on the MSG Network. I remember watching this with great interest, not because it was a great match (it was), but because I was genuinely curious how the Sharpshooter would work if Bret locked it on. A face submission hold in those days meant immediate victory, but Undertaker's whole thing was that he only reacted to pain short-term and I couldn't wrap my head around how he'd sell a submission that he couldn't escape from.

In the end, Bret got him in the Sharpshooter, Undertaker laid completely lifeless, Paul Bearer jumped onto the ring apron for a distraction, Bret released the hold to punch him and then by the time he turned around, Undertaker was waiting for him for the Tombstone.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Face or heel, Hennig and Hart both loved the timely dick attack.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I really thought this match was going to end in a DQ or some other crappy finish, it really does feel special that they were allowed to have a great match with a proper finish.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

John Tolos had one of pro wrestling's all-time greatest feuds with Freddie Blassie in Los Angeles, but here he's the massively annoying spiritual ancestor to Bill Alfonso.

Also dude, Bret Hart and Mr. Perfect was magic every single time. They had great matches in 1989 which I don't remember the circumstances for (house shows, I guess? in Maple Leaf Gardens and MSG, at the very least). The two just gelled so beautifully. I think Bret has said Hennig was always his favourite opponent.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Jerusalem posted:

This was legit the first match I recall watching and just being blown away purely from a technical standpoint. Most of the time I was used to short squashes or matches that relied heavily on the charisma of the wrestlers involved (Hogan especially), but I just sat there in awe when I first saw this match, and must have rewatched it a dozen times in utter amazement. What a match.

This match and Bret/Austin WM13 are a couple of my top picks for great storytelling. Bret and Curt will never be topped though, those guys IMHO had some of the best chemistry and almost all their matches were fantastic.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Re: Bret/Hennig, but their best was the Promo before their King of the Ring '93 match, where they end up arguing who'd win in a match, Larry "The Ax" Hennig or Stu Hart

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gavok posted:

A memory that sticks out from this is how after WM7, the Hart Foundation merely split with no segments or angles explaining it. Bret started going solo and Anvil did commentary for Wrestling Challenge (still having matches every now and then). Bret mostly wrestled jobbers on Superstars and the commentators were taken aback by his cool, new submission move that they didn't know how to call. It wasn't until a few weeks later when Bret competed on Challenge and Anvil's all, "Bret calls that one the Sharpshooter!"

Anvil on commentary was short-lived, but I liked how supportive he was of Bret. It was very "last scene in the Sandlot."

Aww, this is totes adorbs :3:

Jason Sextro posted:

Also dude, Bret Hart and Mr. Perfect was magic every single time. They had great matches in 1989 which I don't remember the circumstances for (house shows, I guess? in Maple Leaf Gardens and MSG, at the very least). The two just gelled so beautifully. I think Bret has said Hennig was always his favourite opponent.

They really do feel like they're designed to fit together. Their styles compliment each other so well so the chemistry is off the charts.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This might be the party of the summer but what you really want is a Hot Ticket. Don't worry, friends, because the WWF have got you covered with an invite to their next PPV bonanza. Get ready for Hulk Hogan: A Real American Story! Um... are you guys expecting me to review this?

In the back Zombie Mean Gene is with the Bushwhackers and Andre the Giant which is not a combination I ever had any desire to see. Andre looks like he's dying and for a moment when I realise he's on crutches I think he actually might be but no, he's just selling an injury from when Earthquake hit him with the megaphone. Zombie Mean Gene tries to ask a question but the Bushwhackers interrupt to announce that they're going to lick asses all over the place. No, that's not a typo. They're then going to feed these asses to Andre and Andre adds that this is his chance to get even. I wouldn't be so sure about that, Andre. Earthquake's slow but he's not that slow.

Andre's stamina had got so bad he needed assistance just to stand in the ring

The Natural Disasters w/ Jimmy Hart vs. The Bushwhackers w/ Andre the Giant

Geez, I don't think I've ever had such an extreme case of tonal whiplash. We've gone from the highs of Bret/Hennig right into the abject lows of this pairing. There are few people left on the roster who I have less desire to see than these four guys right here. And Tugboat's gone all evil now? What's that's about? Was he seduced to the dark side by the promise of free chicken wings and a ratty undersized singlet? Oh god, this is going to be painful. For me more than anyone.

The Disasters come out first to Earthquake's atrocious excuse for a theme. drat, this was such a great chance to dump that clunker and they've completely walked past it. The Bushwhackers walk out as well with Andre limping behind and this is just sad. I mean, Andre's entire PPV career has been about watching the steady decline of a beloved hero running head long into the grave but it's more evident here than ever. Meanwhile, Heenan says that if he had to manage the Bushwhackers he'd “commit suicide”. loving hell!

Wearing a Bushwhacker hat is genuinely the best thing Andre has done in this whole thread

The match kicks off with a huge amount of stalling until Butch decides to go to the Bushwhackers most reliable form of offence and bites Typhoon on the rear end. The Bushwhackers whip Typhoon into Earthquake and then grab Earthquake's head and use it for the Battering Ram on Typhoon. Holy poo poo, Earthquake's stock has plummeted hard in the last few months. Not long ago this guy was giving Hulk Hogan some issues and now here he is selling for the Bushwhackers. I don't even like him but that's still making me feel bad.

Over on commentary Piper claims that the Bushwhackers “are Americana inside”. Dude, they're from New Zealand. I know you're used to confusing Scotland with Canada but come on. The weight and strength of the Disasters begins to tell as Earthquake locks on a bear hug to Butch. I'm not the only one who thinks this match is shite. Heenan's has so little interest in watching the action that he dumps off his headphone and leaves the commentary desk to confront Hulk. If only I could do the same. Hey J-Ru, why ain't this thread gone gold yet?

There's a bit of confusion and Earthquake accidentally nails Typhoon which gives Butch the chance to make the tag. The Bushwhackers connect with the Battering Ram on Earthquake and then on Typhoon then whip them into each other. The Disasters shrug this off and Earthquake takes Butch out with a backbreaker on the outside. He follows up with the Butt Splash on Luke to wrap things up. With the Bushwhackers out of commission, the Disasters are free to confront Andre but who should show up to make the save?

It's Legion of Doom!

...Godammit.

Ugh, everything about this match was so bad. It was slow and turgid with all the ability of a used tissue. The tag division has taken a huge nosedive in a very short space of time and I don't see it getting any better. Especially with the tease that LOD/the Disasters is about to become the headline feud. I've still barely anything from LOD in the ring but just from the way they carry themselves I'm not seeing the technique needed to carry the Disasters to a passable match. And here I thought things would get better once Demolition were gone.

Addendum: There is one silver lining to this rain cloud. This is now officially the last appearance from Andre the Giant on PPV. While it was definitely an improvement to take him away from active duty and limit him to ringside appearances it still didn't help that much. For the last few years we've been watching him deteriorate in front of our eyes and while I'm not going to whitewash the lack of quality in his work I'm also not going to refuse empathy for this man. This is someone who was a legitimate legend back in his day who was adored by the crowd and every time he showed up his body had broken down that little bit more. Watching his body fall apart was not just uncomfortable but deeply sad and I'm glad that we don't have to see it any more. I don't think I'll ever call myself an Andre fan but I still acknowledge the impact that he had on wrestling. This beautiful thing that I love wouldn't be the same without him.

And just what did happen to Heenan and his attempts to track down Hulk, I hear you ask. Well, he's made his way to Hulk's dressing room and he's knocking on the door and he's got something in his hands. Hang on a second, that's the Big Gold Belt. But that's the WCW belt! What? Hulk's door opens and Heenan issues a challenge on behalf of one Ric Flair! Oooooh! Intrigue! The door slams shut in Heenan's face leaving him to wander on back to commentary. Huh, interesting. I know that we're close to Flair coming in his for his short stint in the WWF but I don't know exactly when and I don't know exactly how. I was really shocked to see they went so far as to promote the opposing company's belt as legitimate. I'm very curious to see how this progresses.

Kids, did you know that if you have a telephone and a cavalier attitude towards your parents' finances then you too can dial the 1-900 WWF hotline and speak directly to RANDY SAVAGE? That's right, the Macho Man is on the phone right now chatting up a storm to a caller about his wedding preparations. He tells him that “I'm gonna be dressed to the max, yeah! To the tens!” Somebody should probably tell him about the number eleven. And all the numbers following that.

So THAT'S why he missed his #18 spot at the Rumble!

Elsewhere in the back Mooney is with Ted DiBiase and a disappointingly quiet Sensational Sherri. Mooney reminds DiBiase about the various humiliations he has laid on Virgil over the years which makes DiBiase laugh even harder than normal. He tells Virgil to cancel his celebration plans and reminds him of the gutter that he was planning to leave him in. He adds that “you're in a city full of gutters so take your pick”. However, let it not be said that DiBiase is not a compassionate man. He's going to leave Virgil a towel for him to cry into. I'm guessing that towel must be pretty disgusting these days.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Tugboat turned on the Bushwhackers in a 6-man tag match against Earthquake and the Nasty Boys to set this up.

Basically I guess due to residual heelish tension from Tugboat after getting eliminated from the Royal Rumble by Hogan kinda dissolved their tag team which was main eventing houseshows against Quake and Dino Bravo, but with Bravo being turfed out I guess there was an open spot and Tugboat had nothing better to do than buddy up with his former foe.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Rarity posted:

Huh, interesting. I know that we're close to Flair coming in his for his short stint in the WWF but I don't know exactly when and I don't know exactly how. I was really shocked to see they went so far as to promote the opposing company's belt as legitimate. I'm very curious to see how this progresses.

No spoilers, but for a little background, Flair had been forced out of WCW by the incompetent management of Jim Herd at this stage. He was still the WCW Champ, and had paid the usual $25,000 deposit on the belt. Flair asked for $38K including interest to return the belt. Herd, in his infinite wisdom, refused to pay.

So Ric just took the belt with him to WWF until they coughed up the cash. Vince probably had three orgasms the minute it was on his TV show.

Whoo. Whoo, indeed.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Fun fact? Flair actually isn't signed yet.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Gaz-L posted:

Fun fact? Flair actually isn't signed yet.

Like I said, Whoo. :)

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Shiki Dan posted:

Tugboat turned on the Bushwhackers in a 6-man tag match against Earthquake and the Nasty Boys to set this up.

Basically I guess due to residual heelish tension from Tugboat after getting eliminated from the Royal Rumble by Hogan kinda dissolved their tag team which was main eventing houseshows against Quake and Dino Bravo, but with Bravo being turfed out I guess there was an open spot and Tugboat had nothing better to do than buddy up with his former foe.

Also there was a battle royal on Saturday Night's Main Event shortly after WM7 where halfway in, Tugboat eliminated Hogan and then got thrown out by Shawn Michaels. Hogan and Tugboat had to be pulled apart, but nothing really came of it.

For a battle royal built around Hogan and Earthquake, the final four was strangely enough Rockers-era Shawn Michaels, Mr. Perfect, Greg Valentine and the Barbarian.

Distorted Kiwi posted:

No spoilers, but for a little background, Flair had been forced out of WCW by the incompetent management of Jim Herd at this stage. He was still the WCW Champ, and had paid the usual $25,000 deposit on the belt. Flair asked for $38K including interest to return the belt. Herd, in his infinite wisdom, refused to pay.

So Ric just took the belt with him to WWF until they coughed up the cash. Vince probably had three orgasms the minute it was on his TV show.

Whoo. Whoo, indeed.

This also went down like a week or so before Great American Bash where Flair was meant to drop the title to Lex Luger. Instead, Luger and Barry Windham had a match for the vacant title as the main event to one of the all-time worst PPVs ever.

But yeah, in the final moments of an episode of Wrestling Challenge, Heenan revealed the belt to his broadcast colleagues with the news that Ric Flair was coming. "WCW" was never mentioned, but it was a huge cliffhanger if ever there was one.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Gavok posted:

This also went down like a week or so before Great American Bash where Flair was meant to drop the title to Lex Luger. Instead, Luger and Barry Windham had a match for the vacant title as the main event to one of the all-time worst PPVs ever.

I reviewed that one, and it's as tragic as it's reputation. There's "WE WANT FLAIR" chants in the main event. If you ever need to make money vanish rapidly, call Jim Herd.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Forgot about one of the best parts. Jim Herd wanted Ric Flair to shave his head, get earrings and change his name to Spartacus.

It's doubly funny to me because "take a WCW champion and give him an inane gladiator gimmick" is something WWF would be guilty of years later.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Gavok posted:

It's doubly funny to me because "take a WCW champion and give him an inane gladiator gimmick" is something WWF would be guilty of years later.
:drat:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gavok posted:

Forgot about one of the best parts. Jim Herd wanted Ric Flair to shave his head, get earrings and change his name to Spartacus.

Beautiful

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Rarity posted:

That's it, Ted DiBiase is now the Banker in my headcanon

*Banker calls Howie*

"Make that rear end in a top hat dribble a basketball 30 times for $100"

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Rarity you have no idea how hard it was for me not to spoil the Natural Disasters for you, but I knew the horror of realizing they were now a tag team was something best left a surprise.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Gavok posted:

the best part was that the promo package for Great American Bash that was sent to the cable providers was an entire music video of PN News rapping and they couldn't reshoot it

so they added a ticker

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Basically most of the catalyst for Tugboat to become Typhoon was a sour grapes Hogan getting upset that his friend would dare eliminate him in a battle royal, Hogan would then distract his friend Tugboat causing him to be eliminated. Then a couple months later Hogan would eliminate his friend in the Royal Rumble. Hogan did similar to Savage and Warrior as well. Hmmm.

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 26, 2018

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

KungFu Grip posted:

Basically most of the catalyst for Tugboat to become Typhoon was a sour grapes Hogan getting upset that his friend would dare eliminate him in a battle royal, Hogan would then distract his friend Tugboat causing him to be eliminated. Then a couple months later Hogan would eliminate his friend in the Royal Rumble. Hogan did similar to Savage and Warrior as well. Hmmm.

Hogan feuds for all his first run in the WWF at that time were either this or him facing and easily beating a monster and lead to his matches feeling the same. It's probably why his last two title runs before he left were only okay business wise and not as red hot as his first reign or his feud with Savage.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Gavok posted:

This was on top of demanding that Flair take a massive pay cut as well, IIRC. Jim Herd must have loving hated Flair.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gavok posted:

For a battle royal built around Hogan and Earthquake, the final four was strangely enough Rockers-era Shawn Michaels, Mr. Perfect, Greg Valentine and the Barbarian.

This sounds like one of those monkey paw scenarios which ends in Greg winning

Jason Sextro posted:

Rarity you have no idea how hard it was for me not to spoil the Natural Disasters for you, but I knew the horror of realizing they were now a tag team was something best left a surprise.

While I hate to burst your bubble I had already heard of the Natural Disasters so I did know this was coming. I just didn't know the circumstances behind the change.

This company kept running for another decade :psyduck:

KungFu Grip posted:

Yeah, Hulk really is an entitled prick when it comes to the Rumble (and everything else)

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The Disasters being a team confused the crap out of me as a kid, since I had bailed out during the leadup. By the time I came back I was like, uh, didn't Earthquake horribly murder Tugboat? Why are they friends? Has the world gone mad?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rarity posted:

This sounds like one of those monkey paw scenarios which ends in Greg winning

No, everything all worked out on this one, even if the victory meant nothing in terms of storyline.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

It's amazing how really none of Hogan's mannerisms were actually babyface. Maybe that's why I was so big on Hollywood Hogan, because the man is a fantastic natural heel.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Jason Sextro posted:

It's amazing how really none of Hogan's mannerisms were actually babyface. Maybe that's why I was so big on Hollywood Hogan, because the man is a fantastic natural heel.

Hogan embodied 80s America in a way that few could. 80s America was a fantastic natural heel.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Can we talk about future non-WWF stuff here? I want to mention something about Tugboat/Typhoon, and... okay, there's basically no way in hell Rarity isn't familiar with the moment itself, but it's entirely possible the context would be a semi-spoiler.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Can we talk about future non-WWF stuff here? I want to mention something about Tugboat/Typhoon, and... okay, there's basically no way in hell Rarity isn't familiar with the moment itself, but it's entirely possible the context would be a semi-spoiler.

Can you save it until Typhoon's run in the WWF is finished? Just to be safe :)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Million Dollar Title Match
Virgil vs. Ted DiBiase w/ Sensational Sherri

Huh, so I guess we're still trying to make Virgil a thing. I'm really disappointed to see that DiBiase is still being dragged down by this feud because he could be doing much better things. I'm really disappointed to see Virgil, period. Oh well, at least Sherri is here and I can get a feel for how this dynamic between her and DiBiase is going to work. And speaking of Sherri, we'd better put on the breaks for a moment because a new man in her life means she's embracing a whole new look.

Don't worry, she's still as insane as ever though. But now that she's with the Million Dollar Man she's got a bit more cash to splash on the finer things in life. She's leaning all-in on the gimmick with a gold lamé maid dress and she's even got a little bow tie around her neck. I do like how she's kinda playing up to Virgil's old manservant role but with all that shiny metal wrapped around her I am worried she's going to get charbroiled on a hot sunny day.

If DiBiase's the Million Dollar Man then Sherri's got to be worth at least three mil herself

Now that Virgil's a legitimate wrestler the boys in the back have blessed him with entrance music and like the majority of these early themes it's very dull and repetitive. It's pretty much just drums and trumpets and it sounds like the start of a boxing advert but then Jim Johnston had a hot date the night he was composing so he just called it a day after the first few bars. So Virgil comes out and it's clear that he's already lost a whole lot of heat since WM7. How much of this is because he didn't get a big win on the big stage and how much is because the crowd has realised that he's Virgil?

Before the bell rings Virgil jumps DiBiase to get the advantage and he follows up with a back suplex. Wowzers! I genuinely never thought he could have that in him. Virgil keeps up his momentum and connects with an atomic drop as well. So I guess after spending four years on the road hanging with DiBiase he's finally made the effort to learn a few wrestling moves. Geez. Meanwhile, Heenan's managed to find his way back from Hulk's dressing room but when questioned about Flair by the others he blows them off. Yeah Gino, don't be giving the competition free promotion. While the commentators are talking about this Virgil whiffs a plancha to the outside and eats the deck. It's a really sick bump and it's completely ignored. It's a microcosm of his entire career, really.

If Virgil falls off a turnbuckle in an empty forest does he still get hurt?

This is enough to open the door for DiBiase and he makes the most of it by slamming Virgil into the stairs. He follows up with a double axe handle but then Virgil manages to lock on the Million Dollar Dream! DiBiase's scrambling and Sherri starts freaking out so she runs in and smacks Virgil with the handbag right in front of the ref! The ref calls for the DQ and the bell rings. Dagnabbit, those scoundrels have done it again. Except Finkel suddenly announces the ref is using his discretion to waive the DQ so the match will continue! Oh, and Sherri...

...YOU'RE OUTTA HERE!

Oh man, there is nothing better in wrestling than a well timed 'you're outta here' spot. Especially when the sap gives as good a tantrum as Sherri does. She goes completely mental as she rages out and there's a very unfortunate and very visible panty shot and then the officials come out to escort her to the back. Glorious stuff. Now you may remember from WM7 that Piper's a bit of a homer for Virgil and he's kept a pretty good lid on it so far but it's around hear that he starts to lose his mind. He claims that Virgil is fighting for his pride and his heritage. Settle down, mate, he's not the one with the belt on the line.

I take it he lost then

With the match still live Virgil beats on DiBiase but then gets whipped into the ref who goes down. And we all know what means. Say it with me now! SHENANIGANS! DiBiase hits suplex after suplex while Piper starts yelling at Virgil to “Remember talking to your Mum! Remember talking to your Dad!” I suppose it's meant to be encouraging but it comes across as threatening more than anything else. However, this does get DiBiase's attention so he goes over to taunt Piper and the crowd starts going nuts.

Number of “RODDY” Chants in This Match: 1
Number of “VIRGIL” Chants in This Match: 0

Turning his mind back to Virgil, DiBiase connects with a piledriver and makes the cover but the ref is still out of it. Piper is now screaming at the top of his lungs and arguing with Heenan and oh my god, it's totally obnoxious. It's like I'm suddenly watching the current day product. As the ref's down DiBiase decides to be naughty and he exposes the turnbuckle but when he tries to slam Virgil into it Virgil twists around and slams him into it instead. Virgil crawls into the cover and the ref comes to and he counts the pin. Virgil... wins? Sorry, I don't understand that sentence.

I'm not the only one who can't believe it

This ended up being a lot better than I expected which means it just about scraped being fine. To give credit where its due Virgil has improved a bunch since his WM7 outing and they booked around his weaknesses well with some over-the-top storytelling. And I'm amazed that DiBiase actually put somebody over here. I went back and checked and the last time he took a real loss was when he was feuding with Hulk and that was THREE YEARS AGO. Interesting also that Virgil's walking away with the Million Dollar belt. I hope this doesn't mean the feud is continuing because both men could do with something fresh but if not that leaves Virgil with a very random prop. I'm curious to see how that gets dealt with.

In the back Zombie Mean Gene is with Evil Jacques who is preparing to face the Big Bossman in a match with a very special stipulation. And to adequately explain this Evil Jacques has been joined by the good old boys from the NYPD. He says that he'll beat Bossman's “fat mom rear end” and then the “local law hick cops” will take him away. That's right, whoever loses this match is going to get cuffed by the police and spend the night in jail. Still preferable to sharing a hotel room with Earthquake. Evil Jacques tells the NYPD that it's their job to shackle Bossman in their “paddywagon” and take him to the “local New York cabooze house”. Hehehe. Evil Jacques is bringing a super stick-up-his-vibe to this character and it's kinda hilarious.

Bossman is actually Canada's #4 Most Wanted. #3 is a hormonal caribou

Somewhere else in the back Mooney is with the Big Bossman who's got a warning for Evil Jacques. He says that rather than talking to the NYPD he should be “on his hands and knees, PRAYING TO GOD!” It's a really short promo but Bossman sells the hell out of the line and it's really powerful.

MOST HOMOEROTIC MOMENT

Big Bossman: “He's going to be the one that spends a long, hard night in jail”

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I honestly can't remember if I didn't see the second Dibiase/Virgil match or I did and it just made zero impression on me.

The saddest thing about that tablecloth in lonelyvirgil.jpg is that the only one he seems to have is one with Dibiase's name also on it, and it looks like he's just folded it over the table to make it look like it is just for him, but he couldn't go up far enough to hide the &

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Rarity posted:

MOST HOMOEROTIC MOMENT

Big Bossman: “He's going to be the one that spends a long, hard night in jail”

:thejoke:

Trust me, it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I've always been a big fan of that Virgil/Dibiase match just for the ending, which is original as hell and would never work these days. After getting his head smashed into the corner, Dibiase was 100% out cold and was never going to kick out of anything. Virgil, on the other hand, was far from the body and too weak to stand up. It suddenly came off as a race against time because the ref was counting them both down and Virgil had only had ten seconds to get over there and make the pin. It's like he already beat Dibiase, but he had to push himself in order to truly win.