Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Rarity posted:

See, the bit that interests me is how the younger version of you reacted to this? What did young Nystral think of Sherri fighting in her bra? Did you respect it or did you dislike her? Thanks for your reply! Super interesting!

I remember it fitting with her character. It was her doing anything and everything to help Savage win against Warrior. Sherri the character was psycho to little me and kind of scary. She’s a consummate heel and it worked. But mainly, I think the bra bit was her selling that commitment and it holding back because she knew that Warrior wouldn’t dare hit her back so she could “cheat to win” against him.

Her tactics were overt, she was a peacock, a distraction. She would do anything and everything to secure a win for her wrestler. She was also a mercenary, if one guy wasn’t winning enough then she had no problem dropping them in favor of someone who did win. It was just business after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

DeathChicken posted:

Fun fact, that cobra was (obviously) devenomized, but it really was biting the poo poo out of Randy's arm. No acting there!

Also yeah, Perfect's back was hosed at this point, so he'll be doing other stuff for awhile

Can't remember if it was one of the Macho Man DVDs or a Jake one but I remember Jake talking about the cobra incident. He kept his cool but he was kinda freaking out because the snake wouldn't let go, it kept digging in when he'd try shaking it loose. Props to both guys for that whole segment though, Savage had me legit bought in that he was gonna loving die if they didn't get him to a hospital.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Nystral posted:

Her tactics were overt, she was a peacock

This is an amazing description of her, it's perfect

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rarity that essay was everything I hoped for and more, thank you for posting it :)

For me growing up as a young boy, Miss Elizabeth (and yes, you always included that title) was the prettiest lady in the world but there was nothing sexual about it at all. She was a "lady", somebody to be respected and admired and treated well. In other words, it was very much that "put her on a pedestal and make her untouchable" thing even though it wasn't something I consciously realized I was doing.

With the benefit of hindsight it is easy to see how simplistic (and often dangerous) the way they portrayed her was. I don't think it was conscious on WWE's part though (outside of reflecting society's norms of the time), just another example of the basic black & white dynamic of pro-wrestling in the 80s and early 90s.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rarity mentioned discussing WWF media stuff as it happens, so I hope this post is all well and good.

In the late-80s, a new comic company called Valiant was created. Their superhero creations are a little on the obscure side, such as X-O Manowar, Ninjak, Bloodshot, Shadowman, Archer and Armstrong, Harbinger and so on. The company rebooted back in 2012 and is currently a pool of quality books. They just released a live-action webseries called Ninjak vs. the Valiant Universe and there's been talk of turning certain properties into movies in the near future.

Coincidentally, the webseries version of the hero Eternal Warrior was played by John Morrison while Batista is in talks to play the movie version.

Anyway, back in those olden days, they needed more scratch so they could safely keep releasing their original stuff. That meant licensed comics. First, they started doing Nintendo-based comics. Series based on the Mario cartoon, the Zelda cartoon, Captain N (which was surprisingly great due to including Samus instead of Mega Man and Simon Belmont) and a very trippy comic about a middle-aged rear end in a top hat who would regularly get possessed by his Game Boy.

Nintendo wasn't enough. They needed another license. Another known name that they could exploit in order to keep those HARD Corps books printing. And so, we got WWF Battlemania.

The very first WWF comic series.

The issues came out every two months and were self-contained. Each issue came with two stories about different feuds continuing on outside the ring, usually with some kind of kid there to befriend the faces. Stuff like a kid being forced to go to a classy restaurant with his uptight grandmother only to see that in the very same restaurant, the Bushwackers invited the Nasty Boys to tea and a meal as a pre-fight parlay. Or Ted Dibiase and Virgil having what amounts to a Peter Griffin vs. Giant Chicken fight through Dibiase's mansion. All the while, there's no mention of Hulk Hogan, probably due to legal issues.

The talent involved with the series was rather shocking. Not only are they early works of major comic names Dwayne McDuffie and David Lapham, but Steve "co-creator of Spider-Man" Ditko wanted in. He was slumming it on purpose because the cut-and-dry good vs. evil of early 90's pro wrestling fit in with his personal philosophies. In other words, there exists a comic by the first man who co-created Peter Parker that's about Sid Justice fighting Jake Roberts.

Also cool was how each issue featured two posters. One poster was a face wrestler on the left side of the ring, looking to the right. The other poster was a heel wrestler on the right side of the ring, looking left. Put them together for a full image. The more issues you had, the more you could mix and match.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gavok posted:

there exists a comic by the first man who co-created Peter Parker that's about Sid Justice fighting Jake Roberts.

Wrestling and comic books are so dumb and stupid and wonderful and great :allears:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
As team captain Flair gets to come out to his own theme which is interesting because much like Taker it sounds like a real cheap off-brand version of the theme we all know. It's full of trumpets blaring and cymbals crashing and it does the job of making this guy feel like an important deal but it's just different enough to what I expect to really confuse me. But that's not the only thing that makes Flair seem important, he's also still got the WCW title which he's hauling along to the ring. Gino's not impressed by this other belt though and claims “we don't have a clue where you got it from”. Aw yeah, business competitor burn. The production team appear to take Gino's side because they've gone so far as to blur out the belt. So now we know, the WCW title is as offensive as Mae Young's boobs.

Check yourself and realise we're all that, if you step your rear end up get Hat Rack Crack

Wow, all of those words and the face team hasn't even come out yet. They all get individual entrances with Bret receiving a really big pop. Now I was planning to make a crack at one of these men being not very like the others but then I realised that could be construed at a dig on Virgil for being black so I'm just gonna step right past that. Piper comes out last and it's clear when he gets to the ring that he's been having some serious problems with Flair. So I suppose this means the Hulk/Flair feud is off the table? I guess Hulk didn't fancy fighting someone who's on the same level.

Piper wants to get things started with Flair who doesn't feel like obliging so DiBiase kicks things off instead. Five seconds later Flair runs in for a cheap shot. Why he's a dirty player! I don't think there' a player in this game who could be dirtier! Now this year managers are banned from ringside but somehow Sherri is still hanging around, I presume because the refs so blinded when they look at her they don't realise it's her. Piper hangs DiBiase up on the ropes so he reaches for Sherri for help but Piper drags them both into the ring. Sherri jumps on his back so he pulls her off and to teach her a lesson he... for gently caress sake, he forces a kiss on her.

Guys, I literally just wrote an essay about this, come on

Suitably reframed into a position of submission to male power, Sherri is pulled away by the refs who send her to the back. The faces take control of DiBiase with him and Bret going through a couple of smooth pinning combinations. On commentary Heenan's mind is back on Savage and he wonders who'll be doing the dishes in the Savage household now that he's been reinstated. It'll be a 50-50 split, Bobby. This isn't the 50s. Flair tags in for the first time and takes a beating and his selling is absolutely ridiculous. I always thought he bumped like that because he was old and fragile but no, looks like he's always been that way.

Bulldog nails a Gorilla press slam and tags in Piper which brings huge cheers from the crowd as he goes at it with Flair. Piper just goes nuts on him with strikes until Flair's able to escape and tag the Warlord. Bulldog and the Warlord clash with a series of shoulder blocks with neither man budging an inch. Sensing that this plan is going nowhere Bulldog switches up and connects with a dropkick. Evil Jacques hits a corkscrew elbow but when Bret tags in he does a runner straight over to his corner. This is because as a Mountie by law he isn't allowed to wrestle another Canadian. However, Bret eventually tracks him down and gets rolling with the Five Moves of Doom until Evil Jacques collides into him and they both go down.

Luckily for Evil Jacques we get a tag to Bulldog. This is good because even if Evil Jacques does damage British-Canadian relations the only thing the UK is likely to do is throw out some diplomats and tell Justin Trudeau he's been a very naughty boy. Bulldog throws Evil Jacques around and he bumps so hard that he might have been the one exposed to nerve agents. He connects with a double clothesline to Flair and DiBiase and hits the Running Powerslam on Evil Jacques. However, everyone rushes the ring and the ref gets confused. This gives Flair the chance to come off the top rope with a shot to Bulldog and that's sees him eliminated!

Holy poo poo

Wow, ok, I owe Ric Flair a massive apology. For the entire time I've been watching I've seen match after match where he goes to the top rope and it never works out for him and he always gets caught and thrown off. For two decades now I've considered Flair to be an absolute moron for his continued attempts to follow a strategy that never once worked out for him. But no, I've been wrong this whole time! Flair's not a moron, he's just always living in the hopes of recapturing this one shining moment where he went to the top rope and it all worked out ok. Never stop dreaming, buddy.

Piper runs in to take over but the heels immediately gang up on him. Piper fights them off and slaps on the Figure 4 to Flair but DiBiase is on hand to break it up. DiBiase goes for his own version of the Figure 4 on Piper but he gets rolled up. Evil Jacques is smart enough to not follow suit so he locks on a Boston crab instead but Piper is able to make it over to Virgil. Seeing this extreme threat coming Evil Jacques runs over to his corner but none of his team wants to come in. Guys, come on. There's no need to be scared, it's loving Virgil.

Don't be sad, Virgil. Maybe someone will want to fight you some day.

In the end Flair gets his poo poo together and comes in. Virgil nails a back body drop which immediately has Flair begging off and tagging out to DiBiase. That's not how you win sixteen world championships, Flair! DiBiase connects with a powerslam and the Warlord follows up by knocking him to the outside where Flair sends him into the stairs. The Warlord slaps on the Full Nelson but once again it all kicks off and this time it's Bret flying in from the top rope. Piper makes the pin despite being a very illegal man and the Warlord is finished.

MOST HOMOEROTIC MOMENT

Bobby Heenan: “I can't wait to get down to ringside and whisper those words Ric Flair wants to hear so bad in his ear”

The match is in chaos and Piper takes advantage by rolling up DiBiase but he just kicks out. Really great near fall there. Virgil locks on the Million Dollar Dream on DiBiase but gets backed into the turnbuckle to break the hold. DiBiase replies a gutwrench suplex as Heenan gets all excited about Virgil getting his rear end kicked. Gino tells him to settle down because he's “supposed to be a broadcast journalist!” Dude, after working with Jesse Ventura you should know better than to expect the sanctity of this job to be held.

I love that Rick Rude bared his buttcheeks twice all out but one slip from DiBiase and the pixellator comes out

To my surprise the crowd is so into this they start “VIRGIL” chants. Wow, I didn't realise mass hysteria could occur on such a grand scale. Flair goes for Piper but walks right into a couple of eye pokes. Piper throws Flair over the top rope and the match breaks down with everyone brawling all over the place. The ref is manic and he can't restore order so he calls for the bell while everyone keeps on beating on each other. Please not a mass DQ, please not a mass DQ. Finkel announces that the ref has disqualified everybody apart from the man who was outside the ring so Flair is your winner and sole survivor. Piper goes after Flair and the brawling continues until the refs can break everything up.

What the gently caress was that? I get that they want to avoid all these awful Survivor Series eliminations that make their wrestlers look like jobbers but that was the worst way to go about it. That was just a huge pile of idiocy that makes nobody look good. The match itself was fine without being anything special and that in itself is a positive thing because it shows how much things have improved. A couple of years ago I would have been delighted to get something on this level but now it was merely solid rather than spectacular. In particular, Bret was really pushed out onto the sidelines and barely had any ringtime which should not have been allowed. As for Flair he wasn't the worst worker in the ring but he was also far from the best. My first impression would have to be that he was distinctly average at best.

...God, I'm gonna get so much poo poo for this, aren't I?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Rarity posted:

Wow, ok, I owe Ric Flair a massive apology. For the entire time I've been watching I've seen match after match where he goes to the top rope and it never works out for him and he always gets caught and thrown off. For two decades now I've considered Flair to be an absolute moron for his continued attempts to follow a strategy that never once worked out for him. But no, I've been wrong this whole time! Flair's not a moron, he's just always living in the hopes of recapturing this one shining moment where he went to the top rope and it all worked out ok. Never stop dreaming, buddy.

Flair took the NWA title off of Harley Race at the first Starrcade with a flying cross-body. That is the shining moment of glory he chases every time he goes to the top.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
So with regards to the WCW belt, by the time Survivor Series rolled around, Flair had already returned the belt to WCW. To get around this on TV, Jack Tunney declared that since the title wasn’t a valid WWF championship, they’d distort the belt digitally. What Flair actually wore to the ring this time was a WWF Tag Team title belt.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

TL posted:

So with regards to the WCW belt, by the time Survivor Series rolled around, Flair had already returned the belt to WCW. To get around this on TV, Jack Tunney declared that since the title wasn’t a valid WWF championship, they’d distort the belt digitally. What Flair actually wore to the ring this time was a WWF Tag Team title belt.

Though the reason the actual WCW belt was blurred was due to a court order. When Flair took the belt to WWF, WCW sued WWF and the case set a legal precedent that wrestling belts have value for their companies.

So, anyone that says that 'titles don't matter' is legally wrong.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

remusclaw posted:

Flair took the NWA title off of Harley Race at the first Starrcade with a flying cross-body. That is the shining moment of glory he chases every time he goes to the top.

If you go waaaaay back supposedly Flair used a diving knee drop as a finisher, but I can't find any clips of it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I'm fine with the ending of that match as a one-off thing. It was frustrating by design, making us feel cheated out of what's already been a lengthy match full of great workers and Virgil. In the end, it's Piper's own bloodlust that does him in while Flair survives via luck and being an opportunist.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Rarity posted:

Suitably reframed into a position of submission to male power, Sherri is pulled away by the refs who send her to the back. The faces take control of DiBiase with him and Bret going through a couple of smooth pinning combinations. On commentary Heenan's mind is back on Savage and he wonders who'll be doing the dishes in the Savage household now that he's been reinstated. It'll be a 50-50 split, Bobby. This isn't the 50s. Flair tags in for the first time and takes a beating and his selling is absolutely ridiculous. I always thought he bumped like that because he was old and fragile but no, looks like he's always been that way.

I'm afraid you'll just have to get used to Flair's bumping style. It developed as a result of the 1975 plane crash as he couldn't get himself to fall flat on his back again.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Doesn't AJ Styles do something similar due to an injury as well?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gaz-L posted:

Doesn't AJ Styles do something similar due to an injury as well?

Sounds like getting a back injury that keeps you from doing normal bumps is how you become the best wrestler in the world?

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
WCW/Jim Herd never actually ended up paying Flair back his deposit for the Big Gold Belt to this day, so I think Flair still has it???
(Assuming he didn't pawn it off years ago for his alimony).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So my buddy used to be a paralegal at a big law firm and they had a WCW belt in one of their cabinets as collateral or something. He's not really sure where it came from or whose it was, but he does have a sneaking suspicion it might have been Flair's.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
If it's not thread hijacking Rarity, I'd like to add maybe the WCW or WWE game reviews of the games that come out around the time of the PPV's you are reviewing, similar to Gavok's look at the comics, there shouldn't be a huge amount IIRC

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

OldTennisCourt posted:

If it's not thread hijacking Rarity, I'd like to add maybe the WCW or WWE game reviews of the games that come out around the time of the PPV's you are reviewing, similar to Gavok's look at the comics, there shouldn't be a huge amount IIRC

Oh god yes please make this a thing! I love when you guys add extra content.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Rarity posted:

Oh god yes please make this a thing! I love when you guys add extra content.

Sweet, the first one will arrive when you hit 1992 in the timeline.

Get ready for the WWF Game Boy action.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

OldTennisCourt posted:

Sweet, the first one will arrive when you hit 1992 in the timeline.

Get ready for the WWF Game Boy action.

Might be the right time to post about WWF Super WrestleMania sometime during the next couple shows.

That goddamn piece of poo poo game...

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

So my buddy used to be a paralegal at a big law firm and they had a WCW belt in one of their cabinets as collateral or something. He's not really sure where it came from or whose it was, but he does have a sneaking suspicion it might have been Flair's.

Flair's financials came out to the public when he divorced Beth, and revealed that he did use a WCW Big Gold Belt as collateral for a loan so it's about 99.9% likely...

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Over on commentary Heenan is delighted about Flair's victory and bragging about it to Gino. As well as his commentary gig Heenan is acting as Flair's financial advisor so he's a major part of the entourage. Heenan's even got a phone set up at ringside so he can call straight through to the back and discuss the result with Hennig. I'm convinced this whole thing is a subliminal advert for the 1-900 number.

“You're wearing a neon green singlet and no pants? Oh, you naughty little devil”

Up on the stage Zombie Mean Gene makes his first appearance of the night for a podium interview with Randy Savage who comes out in a bright purple and neon green outfit. It's like a rave just threw up on him. Zombie Mean Gene was impressed by the amount of people called in demanding Savage be reinstated and calls the snake attack horrifying. Savage agrees and explains that he was “delirious”. Which is different to normal how? He was blinded by the poison but he could still see Elizabeth an hear her cries and that hurt worse than anything Jake could do to him. Aww, that's kinda sweet. He reminds us that reptiles are now banned from ringside but he thinks the real snake was Jake all along and tells Jake that “the Madness is going to be all over you like melting butter”. You mean runny and slippery?

Zombie Mean Gene would like to know what Elizabeth thinks of this situation and it seems Savage was reading my essay because he's now going to let her speak for herself. Elizabeth comes to a big pop while Heenan says “most married women don't look that good”. One step forward, two steps back. Elizabeth says a big thank you to all the fans who helped out with getting Savage reinstated and predicts victory for the match. She's got a ticket and she'll be heading to Texas. And which day was that on? Sorry, I forgot.

Colonel Shiektafa, Fatter Herc', the Berzerker and Skinner w/ General Adnan and Mr. Fuji vs. Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Sgt. Slaughter, the Texas Tornado and El Matador

Oh look, it's the match where you throw all your geeks and jobbers together to fill up a bit of time. Hi, Hacksaw, imagine seeing you around here! The heels all come out to Shiektafa's theme which is like an evil version of Slaughter's theme. It's got the same repetitive drumroll but with some extra bass to make it sound darker and meaner. This is also our first look at a couple of newbies who don't deserve full introductions. First up is Skinner who I'm vaguely familiar with. He's an Aussie and I think his gimmick is basically Steve Irwin but evil? And then there's the Berzerker and... well, just look at the state of this guy.

Barbarian, I take it back! All is forgiven!

As much as there is talk about for the heel team, there's even more for the face team. They get individual entrances apart from Slaughter who follows Hacksaw out like the shy kid being forced to take part in the school talent contest. With the Gulf war well in the past the Iraqi sympathiser gimmick is dead and Slaughter has rediscovered his love for the red, white and blue. I'm very grateful for this change. While it started out as intense and led to some good moments it had reached the point where it had stayed out its welcome. Now when you saw El Matador up there you might have thought we were getting another debut but no, you'd be wrong. This is rather a new look for an old friend.

Oh Tito, what have they done to you?

That's right, El Matador is none other than Tito Santana. And it's important to recognise here that this is not a full character change like Jacques Rougeau becoming the Mountie. No, Gino and Heenan still acknowledge this as Tito and in fact spend the entire match calling him Tito. So what's actually happened here is that one day Tito went out and decided to become a bull fighter. For gently caress sake. What is it about 1991 and guys getting lumped with racist caricature gimmicks? Tony Atlas became a tribal warrior, the Iron Shiek joined the army of a completely different country, hell even Jacques kinda fits in here. And this is Tito! This is a dude who's been around for literally your entire run on PPV. Sure, he's not that great, he can't cut a good promo and he doesn't have much charisma but giving him a loving mariachi jacket and a bright pink cape with a new generic Spanish theme isn't going to change any of that!

The teams face off in the ring and looking over the assembled talent I think we're going to have to prepare ourselves for a rough one here. According to Gino we were meant to get Jim “The Anvil” Niedhart stiffing the gently caress out of dudes in this match but that's not happening because Flair's given him an injury. Geez, thanks a lot, Flair. Hacksaw gets the crowd going with a round of 'USA' chants but that's only going to bond the heel team closer together. After all Shiektafa is an Iraqi and/or an Iranian, Skinner is an Aussie, Fatter Herc' is obviously from Greece and the Berzerker is from... Scandinavia I guess?

The bell kicks us off and Tito connects with the Flying Forearm early but Skinner rolls to the outside. Ever tasteful, Heenan refers to this move as “the Flying Jalapeño”. Somewhere in the world an older Jesse Ventura nods in approval. Tito goes for a crossbody but Skinner ducks out of the way and he eats the mat. Skinner looks like they found a dirty hobo outside the arena and allowed him to come wrestle for the night. The Berzerker whiffs a dropkick on Kerry then Hacksaw comes in and starts doing all his cartoon bullshit. It's been so drat long since we had Hacksaw wrestle that I'd forgotten how much this annoys me. I really hope he's the next to be hit by the cull of 80s talent.

I'm a little teapot short and stout

The heels all gang up on Hacksaw and Shiektafa slaps on a rest hold. Ugh, this match sucks. I feel like I was way too harsh on the opener now. It was actually pretty good compared to this mess. Hacksaw hits a suplex and Slaughter follows up with an atomic drop and Shiektafa is eliminated. Slaughter whiffs a Vaderbomb on the Berzerker who replies with a big boot. Heenan says the match has gone down to three against two even though it's very clearly four against three. Whoops. Hacksaw nails a back body drop that sends the Berzerker high over the top rope to the outside. Tito connects with El Paso Del Monte to Fatter Herc' which sends him to the back. This is Tito's new finisher. It's essentially a flying punch and it's complete garbage. Heenan calls the move “El Paso Del Salsa”. Is this how it works, Bobby? You just pick a vaguely Latino sounding word and add it to the end of your sentences? At least Jesse's racism was clever. Heenan adds “I guess the Taco King rang his bell! As in Taco Bell, I guess”. That's it, Heenan, hand over your mic. You are done for tonight.

WORST HAIR

He's also dribbling all over his beard and it's so gross

Apparently we've reached the point in the match where things need to start happening because everyone starts arbitrarily wrapping things up. Slaughter comes in and rolls up Skinner and that's him done leaving the Berzerker as the lone brave single man against an entire team of opponents. He whiffs another dropkick and Hacksaw sort of hits the Football Clothesline although it's more like he vaguely brushes the Berzerker with his arm. Either way it's enough to put him down for the three count. Except on the replay it's very, very clear that the Berzerker kicked out at two. Eh, I'll allow it. I really don't need this to continue.

This match was loving abominable. It was filled with some dudes who should have left the company ages ago, some dudes who only just joined the company but never should have and nobody cared about any of them. We're just about to hit the New Generation era, I thought the whole point of this era was that this is when wrestling became faster and more technical. There's gently caress all signs of that change happening here.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

So what's actually happened here is that one day Tito went out and decided to become a bull fighter. For gently caress sake. What is it about 1991 and guys getting lumped with racist caricature gimmicks? Tony Atlas became a tribal warrior, the Iron Shiek joined the army of a completely different country, hell even Jacques kinda fits in here. And this is Tito!

It's a reminder that Vince has always been a weirdo even before he became an insane old man.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Rarity posted:

First up is Skinner who I'm vaguely familiar with. He's an Aussie and I think his gimmick is basically Steve Irwin but evil?

Nope. Billed from the Florida Everglades, I believe. His gimmick is that he kills alligators and... umm... skins them? Also he chews tobacco, so that's fun.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The Berserker ruled. Or maybe I'm just biased because John Nord is a funny dude IRL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlwn_75NW_k

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

As far as I'm concerned this is karma for making GBS threads on Barbarian and Warlord.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

dsriggs posted:

Nope. Billed from the Florida Everglades, I believe. His gimmick is that he kills alligators and... umm... skins them? Also he chews tobacco, so that's fun.

Yeah Skinner was just Florida Man.

Berzerker ruled because he once tried to kill The Undertaker!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAjGhWl1EoA

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Slaughter's face turn was awkward as hell. For weeks, he'd show up in front of US landmarks and would grovel about how he wants his country back. They'd usually show those clips before commercials because how are commentators supposed to follow up on that poo poo?

Also, that match was supposed to include the recently-departed Big Bully Busick on the heel side, but he just didn't last that long in the company.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Heh. Skinner was Steve Keirn, who was once one half of the pretty boy tag team The Fabulous Ones. He also currently works in NXT. Here he is on the right:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

dsriggs posted:

Yes, I have since figured this out. I'm assuming this is Vince's pop culture delay catching up to Crocodile Dundee.

Davros1 posted:

Heh. Skinner was Steve Keirn, who was once one half of the pretty boy tag team The Fabulous Ones. He also currently works in NXT. Here he is on the right:

Oh I know this guy! He was one of the road agents for WWE in my TEW real world mod!

rare Magic card l00k posted:

As far as I'm concerned this is karma for making GBS threads on Barbarian and Warlord.

I didn't know! I DIDN'T KNOW!!! :negative:

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Rarity posted:

Yes, I have since figured this out. I'm assuming this is Vince's pop culture delay catching up to Crocodile Dundee.

Nope, you might be thinking of Outback Jack from the late 80s

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Tito Santana was well past his prime at this point but I think this is the first I've heard of him not having much charisma. He was one of the best babyfaces WWF had in the early 80s, his matches with Greg Valentine were amazing.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Calling Tito "not that great" is a real :psyduck:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I mean, Tito was not very good in 1991 but he was amazing in the early 80s. Tito/Greg is one of the best midcard feuds in WWF history.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I mean, Tito was not very good in 1991

Compared to who else in the WWF at that time?
Tito/Perfect also put on what the WON considered to be the WWF Match of the Year in 1990, so it's not like he's even that far out of his prime or anything.

Anyway the backstory for this match was a total mess.

Aside from Hercules being a last minute replacement for Big Bully Buseik, Duggan's team was originally composed of Kerry, Jim Neidhart, and Ricky Steamboat.
Neidhart was taken out due to (kayfabe) injury after a television match where he lost to Ric Flair. This was meant to add Sgt. Slaughter as a "surprise" replacement in order to cement his face turn.
Steamboat also told the WWF to gently caress off and went back to WCW, which left him to be hastily replaced with a newly repackaged Tito Santana.

Supplemental viewing:

Flair vs. Neidhart (post-match and Slaughter vignette as a bonus):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKkb_zBvBBc

Sgt. Slaughter's interview with Gene Okerlund "I Want My Country Back!", one of the most surprising sudden face turns and Slaughter's rationale is surprisingly reasonable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kaXlbjHLqw

Sgt. Slaughter: "I've got my country back!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liD1Tygv0Hw

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
They're wrong because the WWF Match of the Year in 1990 was clearly Greg/Garvin at Royal Rumble.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Lol I forgot Jim's new look, Rarity shouldn't click on the Flair-Neidhart match if she didn't see it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Tito was fine for the mid 80s but at this point we've had guys like Rude, Bret, Savage, Shawn and Hennig who've all had some cracking matches and Tito is nowhere near that level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Keep this up and you'll be wishing for Tito matches.