Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Rarity posted:

What the gently caress :stare:

Technically a spoiler since the match happens a week after WM7 but before the next ppv so if you’ve already finished watching the card...

https://youtu.be/u4nlN0mvXCc

Even if not, the commentary is in Japanese so even if they talk about WM7 if you can’t understand them it doesn’t matter.

Earthquake was a low level but promising sumo prospect in Japan (he was unbeaten in 3 minor league tournaments) before quitting and joining pro-wrestling so during the WWE co-promotions, it made sense to put him with the Kitao. While Kitao was disgraced and a disappointment as a Yokozuna, just making the rank meant he was ranked in the top 3 in the world. Earthquake on the other hand would have been around the 150th ranked at the time he quit.

Being a dick, Kitao probably thought being booked to lose to a nobody like Earthquake was an insult to his status and decided to poo poo up the match.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ohhhh I read that as the time he tried to shoot Earthquake :doh:

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

pseudodragon posted:

Technically a spoiler since the match happens a week after WM7 but before the next ppv so if you’ve already finished watching the card...

https://youtu.be/u4nlN0mvXCc

Even if not, the commentary is in Japanese so even if they talk about WM7 if you can’t understand them it doesn’t matter.

Earthquake was a low level but promising sumo prospect in Japan (he was unbeaten in 3 minor league tournaments) before quitting and joining pro-wrestling so during the WWE co-promotions, it made sense to put him with the Kitao. While Kitao was disgraced and a disappointment as a Yokozuna, just making the rank meant he was ranked in the top 3 in the world. Earthquake on the other hand would have been around the 150th ranked at the time he quit.

Being a dick, Kitao probably thought being booked to lose to a nobody like Earthquake was an insult to his status and decided to poo poo up the match.

that poor ref, what an rear end in a top hat.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Rarity posted:

Ohhhh I read that as the time he tried to shoot Earthquake :doh:

Kitao had a bad temper and was a legendary rear end in a top hat so that's not that unrealistic. I'd actually long heard that Earthquake was in the Haku echelon of guys people didn't want to piss off because they were terrifying. But I guess he was pretty laid-back he'd have to be for the role he played in WCW

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I always wondered why Vince didn't decide to keep working with All Japan after they did the Super show and went with Tenryu instead until I heard on the WOR that Vince and Baba didn't get along during the build up which explained everything.
And in retrospect should of been 100% expected given the personalities involved.

The Network doesn't have the full super show up does it? It's not a good show except for a few matches but it's a curious show in many ways

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Is this the show where Hacksaw lost almost immediately because he couldn't comprehend the concept of Japanese counting? I know I saw that one off Colosseum Home Video many years ago and thought it was the dumbest thing.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
In the back Zombie Mean Gene is with an incredibly thin and strung out Big Bossman. Guys, I'm starting to worry that Bossman's weight loss isn't from a dedication to fitness but from severe opioid addiction. Bossman addresses “Mr. Perfex” and says he's going to put an end to all the insults that have been hurting his momma's feelings. Um wait, what? Did I just hear that right? Bossman's really mad at Hennig because he's... made his mum upset? Now some might say that this indicates an unhealthy dichotomy of attachment which betrays deep-seated issues of insecurity that leads Bossman to authoritarian power roles where he can funnel his self-loathing out as aggression without repercussion. And kids, this is your daily reminder that toxic masculinity is bad for society. Bossman reminds Hennig that he's mowed through everyone else in the Heenan Family so tonight there will be no more appeals and he'll become an example that “crime does not pay”. I'm not clear exactly what laws Hennig has broken here. Although he probably is littering with all that gum.

I've realised that Mooney is getting off lightly tonight on the abuse and bullying, which is good to see. He's now with Bobby Heenan and a very sweaty Curt Hennig. It looks like Hennig heard he was facing Bossman tonight and realised this was the only way to prevent drowning in the outpour from Bossman's pits. Heenan brings up the Rodney King incident once more and promises to show the fans their own brand of justice. Hennig explains that he won't be found on his back because he's “cool as a cat”. I'm not sure if you ever seen cats, Hennig, but they're on their backs loads. Lazy little fucks. Hennig adds that he's got the manager, the body, the looks and ability to be the Intercontinental champion and throws the promo over to the crowd as they chant “PERFECT”. Oh gently caress yes, great finish to that. Hennig looks like an absolute star.

Hennig wonders how many times he can shoehorn the word 'perfect' into this interview

Intercontinental Title Match
Big Bossman vs. Curt Hennig

I think I might have been a bit too down on this one at the start of the show. Bossman's been steadily improving over the last year or so and you know Hennig is going to bump his rear end off to make him look good so this should be a really solid combination. And if that wasn't enough, with Heenan off in Hennig's corner it means we need a new colour commentator and guess who they've got in from the buffet table. It's your friend and mine, LORD ALFRED HAYES! The bell's not even rung and I'm already marking out.

We start with some serious stalling as both men stare each other down. Alfred says that “there's so much electricity I'm getting shocked all over”. Oh Alfred, how I miss you and eternally awkward mic skills. Once again, Gino claims that WM7 has got the largest PPV audience of all time. Guys, if you're feeling insecure then just get Alfred to pull his pants down and plop Lil' Alfie on the table. That should do the trick. Meanwhile, back in the ring Hennig throws his towel at Bossman but it just get flung back in his face. Twice. Bossman follows up by hawking a loogie so Hennig slaps him like a little bitch. Unfortunately that just achieves Bossman slapping Hennig like an even littler bitch.

It's all right, Hennig. You'd both lose to Lord Alfred anyway.

With tensions suitably stoked the match can begin in earnest as Bossman swings Hennig around by the hair. Now, do you guys remember that gif of Bossman in Japan that keeps getting posted in that thread. Bossman runs through that sequence move for move. Unfortunately I've seen it so often now that it's lost much of the 'wow' factor. Hennig gets in a smidgeon of offence with a really loud chop but winds up getting whipped into the turnbuckle so hard he flips back out. Bossman takes off his belt and starts whipping Hennig because like any true representative of fascism the only time he cares about following the laws are when they're his laws. Good on Hennig for bravely fighting his state oppressors.

The assault can only go on so long as Heenan gets up on the apron to distract Bossman. This allows Hennig to wrap the belt around his fist and punch Bossman with the buckle. Hennig locks on an absolutely beautiful modified dragon sleeper but the ref catches him using the ropes so he transitions to an abdominal stretch. Heenan starts yelling at the timekeeper to the ring the bell but he gets nowhere because it's not 1997 just yet.

Hennig connects with another loud as gently caress chop and follows up with a rolling necksnap. He goes for the Perfectplex but Bossman reverses it into a small package. Ok, Bossman is definitely a step smoother than he's ever been before. He's actually holding his own on the technical end. In a great bit of innovation Hennig hits a reverse rolling necksnap. Ow, that looked rough. Bossman responds by crotching Heenig on the ringpost and goes after Heenan but Hennig runs up from behind and straight up hurls Bossman into the stairs. gently caress me, that looks real bad. drat. But hang on, what the gently caress is this?

WHAT'S ANDRE THE GIANT DOING IN THE WRESTLEMANIA ZONE?

So yes, Andre just shows up out of nowhere but Hennig hasn't spotted him cause he's too busy exposing the turnbuckle. Andre grabs the title belt while Hennig smashes Bossman's head off the steel. Now Hennig's spotted Andre and he grabs him but Andre just lamps him in the head with the belt! Both men down! The ref starts counting for knockouts but Bossman pulls himself up and crawls over to cover Hennig who only loving goes and kicks out. Oh my god. gently caress yes, go Hennig. And in the middle of all this excitement and all this drama Haku and the Barbarian run out from the back and attack Bossman for a fucky DQ finish. You know what? If Hennig gets to keep the belt then I'll take it.

With his title reign properly secured Hennig can now take the beating that nature intended as Andre gives him a proper thwap. Meanwhile, Bossman fights off Haku and the Barbarian and chucks them to the outside where Andre smacks them around. Having taken care of his business Andre wants to quietly disappear but Bossman chases after him and raises his hand in celebration. I'm not quite sure what they're celebrating because Hennig is still the champion so they failed to achieve their intended goals but sure, go nuts.

Andre meets the Normal Sized Bossman

This was a fun little match here. It wasn't incredible but it flowed well and told a decent story and that's a lot better than most of what we've seen tonight. It was far away the best match Bossman has delivered so far and it's not just because he was carried by Hennig. He's definitely put a lot of work into improving his agility and his ability and it shows. Now long-time readers of the thread might think I'd be really mad at Andre showing up but actually, I'm not. His appearance here felt like a natural progression from his face turn when we last saw him at WM6 and he did about the full extent of what he could manage and it made the fans happy so I'm cool with it. Best of all, Hennig gets to stay the champion to keep being a source of decent midcard action.

Uh oh, lured by the scent of tender flesh Zombie Mean Gene has left the confines of the back to prowl through the crowd for his most favourite treat, celebrity brain. And unfortunately he's stumbled his way to someone who shows even less life than he does, Donald Trump. Godammit. Zombie Mean Gene asks him if he's having a good time and Trump calls it a great day. Well of course Trump loves an event that looks like a bald eagle's spunked all over it. This isn't exactly surprising.

But Trump's not the only celebrity on hand. Chuck Norris is in attendance and he praises the wrestlers for being great athletes and scrambles away before anyone can turn him into an internet meme. Keeping up this parade of lame idiots we thought were cool in the 90s is the Fonz himself Henry Winkler who is happy that the Ultimate Warrior won his match. Rounding out this trifecta is Lou Ferrigno, a.k.a. The Incredible Hulk, who thinks Wrestlemania is better than the Olympics and the circus. Oh, Lou. This is professional wrestling. It is a circus.

Kinda killing your image with that poly-blend sweater, Fonzie

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, this was the culmination of the weird thing where Rick Rude was insulting Bossman's mother, then he quit, so then it was Heenan insulting Bossman's mother.

I take that back, I think there's a blowoff Bossman vs Heenan match, but not on PPV

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rarity posted:

Andre meets the Normal Sized Bossman

I know it's right there in the name, but sometimes I see a shot like this next to a REALLY big dude like Bossman and remember holy gently caress Andre the Giant literally was a giant.

Rarity posted:

Keeping up this parade of lame idiots we thought were cool in the 90s is the Fonz himself Henry Winkler

:mad:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
That sweater does make him look like a lame idiot, though.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Henry Winkler once stayed at a hotel I worked at. As he checked out, he thanked each staff member individually for their service. He’s one of the nicest people I’ve ever met and I will NOT let anyone say he isn’t the cat’s pajamas.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TL knows what's up :hai:

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Hilariously wrong thread

TL fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 2, 2018

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

TL posted:

Henry Winkler once stayed at a hotel I worked at. As he checked out, he thanked each staff member individually for their service. He’s one of the nicest people I’ve ever met and I will NOT let anyone say he isn’t the cat’s pajamas.

But seriously, did you see that jumper tho

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

TL posted:

Very cool! Man he really rocked in Children's Hospital too, always liked the guy, but he was really the funniest guy on that show.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
At the time, Bossman was actually expected to go over for the title here.
I mean, it seemed the natural progression given that his angle was to run through the entire Heenan family.

He was really, REALLY over at the time, and could have possibly been the #3 babyface of the company behind Hogan and Warrior (definitely no mean feat considering the roster they had), and as Rarity mentioned he was really stepping up his game, and getting leaner and more agile than he had ever been.
I mean, he almost looks like a normal-sized person next to Andre (but then again...it's Andre).
But really compare how he looks here to Summerslam 88 against Koko.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just a heads up, guys. You may have noticed I've not updated anything in this last week. I picked up an injury at Easter weekend that's not caused any long-term damage but has given me a ton of pain all week long so I've been in a bit of a down mood. I won't be writing over Wrestlemania weekend but normal schedule should resume next week :)

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Rarity posted:

Just a heads up, guys. You may have noticed I've not updated anything in this last week. I picked up an injury at Easter weekend that's not caused any long-term damage but has given me a ton of pain all week long so I've been in a bit of a down mood. I won't be writing over Wrestlemania weekend but normal schedule should resume next week :)

Aww ok, no problem. Get well soon, Rarity. We, all Raritymaniacs, will believe in your revenge against Easterquake!

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Struggling to keep up with everything wish I could drop more news.

But Garango/Ciampa is going on last.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Wrong thread for that

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

rovert posted:

Congratulations to Rarity on doing this thread for so long that she decides to stop just before Wrestlemania 34! That's dedication.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

rovert posted:

Wow spoilers

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

This thread specifically said no spoilers!

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
can't believe Ciampa and Gargano is gonna be the last WWE PPV match ever

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

KungFu Grip posted:

Vince: ...Yeah, that's it everyone we're stopping right here. We're never gonna do better than that.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

KungFu Grip posted:

the last WWE PPV match ever will be Triple H in an Uncensored 96-style marathon where he goes over all the living biggest stars of WWE days gone by.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 38 days!
Dunno why y'all are getting hyped for Ciampa and Gargano, man clearly said Ciampa and Garango are going on last :colbert:

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jason Sextro posted:

Koji Kitao is most remembered for the time he tried to shoot on Earthquake at a cross-promotion SWS show.

Thought he was best remembered for the time he refused to job to Nobuhiko Takada at a UWFi show, and was legitimately knocked out in that match for his troubles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXsHcT4Qh2I

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Thursday is this week shut up

Earthquake w/ Jimmy Hart vs. Greg Valentine

Welp, it was nice knowing you, Greg. I'd say that you'd had a good run but we'd both know that I was lying. So yes, Greg has been sent out for his imminent destruction and also apparently he's a face now. I can't say I'm enthused by this because out of the whole roster the old, slow dude with a haircut that was already a decade out of date in the 80s is pretty much the last guy I want to cheer. On the plus side this does mean we've managed to avoid a terrible Earthquake/Tugboat match and I get to see Greg get his poo poo kicked in so that'll be fun.

We get things underway as Earthquake connects with a powerslam. Greg responds with a ton of elbows and an elbow off the second rope actually gets Earthquake off his feet. It's vaguely impressive. Greg hits a headbutt straight to the dick and goes for the Figure 4 but Jimmy distracts him. This allows Earthquake to pull Greg down to the mat and he follows up with an elbow. From there it's as simple as a big baby tantrum and the Butt Splash and it's all over. Earthquake goes for the Butt Splash again but Greg's got it scouted and bails. Aw, boo.

Greg would need three showers before the smell began to fade

For a throwaway squash match that slightly less awful than I was expecting. Which considering these are the two of my least favourite guys on the roster I think is saying a lot. I am curious to see where Earthquake goes from here. Now that the feud with Hulk is over it doesn't seem like there's anywhere left for him to go. His character doesn't have a huge lot to it besides angry and shouty and there's not a whole lot you can do with that.

Back to the interview area where Mooney is with Legion of Doom. Animal says that they should have had the title shot against the Hart Foundation tonight but they were cost it because Power and Glory interfered so they're going down instead. Hawk adds “when we're done with you you'll be Sour and Gory”. I'm not really feeling the menace there, Hawk. My six-year old cousin could come up with better insults and he doesn't even exist.

Power and Glory w/ Slick vs. Legion of Doom

Ok, I'm feeling this combination quite a bit. Herc' can get in a good old-fashioned hoss-off with LOD and Roma adds that extra step of pace that can keep things from getting too boring. I could see these guys doing something pretty decent. Herc' and Roma get dumped with a jobber entrance and I'm sad to say they've made the switch from trunks to tights. I'm not sure what motivated that decision but I don't like it. It makes their little croptops look way less cool. LOD come out and look like they're in a proper rear end-kicking mood. So just how they normally look.

Before the bell can ring Herc' and Roma jump LOD but it doesn't get them much of an advantage as LOD quickly overpower them. Hawk connects with a double clothesline then Roma goes for a flying crossbody but Animal catches it into a powerslam. LOD hit the Doomsday Device and this match is already over. Ah. Wow. The official match length? 59 seconds.

It took me longer to edit this picture than the match itself

drat, poor Herc' and Roma. They did not deserve to get jobbed out like that. I think it's a bad decision as well. The tag roster isn't exactly brimming with talent on the heel side and this is one of the two half decent teams we've got. They should at least be getting in a bit of offence. And I still don't understand why we didn't have LOD/Demolition here instead of the two worthless tag matches that we ended up with.

Time for another recap package as we look back on the feud between Ted DiBiase and Virgil. For months, DiBiase orders Virgil to do demeaning jobs like licking poo poo off of his shoe with Virgil reluctantly going along with it. However, in that super badass moment at the Royal Rumble Virgil turns on DiBiase and blasts him with the Million Dollar belt. Later, Virgil wins a match against Haku and DiBiase freaks out to see his former manservant doing well. Then DiBiase is in a match against a local jobber when Virgil comes out to ringside and DiBiase goes off to have an argument with him, thus losing by countout. All in all it looks like they've kept the feud running pretty well. We close on a promo of Virgil where he says “you spell man V-I-R-G-I-L”. Dude, it's a good thing you're a wrestler and not a kindergarten teacher.

In this analogy Virgil is the hat and life is the shoe

Ted DiBiase vs. Virgil w/ Rowdy Roddy Piper

See, the problem here is that while this has been a great feud it all has to end here in a match involving Virgil. And here's the reason Piper's not been in commentary tonight, because he's supporting Virgil in his attempts to stiff wait staff up and down the country. Well, Heenan's been killing it tonight so that's fine with me. Oh god, this is going to be a piping hot mess.

Out first is DiBiase who is still the biggest rear end in a top hat on the roster. Piper comes out on his own and he's hobbling on crutches due to a motorbike accident just before the show. Now, I'm not sure if this is real or a work. Because of how events go I'm leaning towards a work but Piper's a crazy fucker so I could be wrong. Piper invites Virgil out and he shows up without any theme which I think is a nice touch. He's not really a wrestler yet so the guys in the back haven't put together any music for him. The crowd is already giving out huge “VIRGIL” chants and all I can think is how badly this is all going to poo poo the bed.

I feel safe in saying this must be the greatest moment of Virgil's entire life

So here's my question for those of you who know about these kinds of things, at the time did the WWF think Virgil was going to be a breakout star? The reaction to his turn at the Rumble and his entrance here make it look like he could take off huge but at the same time it's clear that he's green as grass and sorely lacking in the charisma department. I just want to know whether the plan here is for this to be the start of a solid push or whether they're just doing the feud is the end goal in itself.

The bell rings and Virgil flies out the gates a lot of quick punches that catch DiBiase off guard. Over on commentary, Heenan starts having a go at Piper for being “a guy in a skirt”. Hey, you don't know how Piper defines his gender, he could be nonbinary for all you know. Virgil keeps up the offence with a clothesline to the outside and Heenan says Virgil works out so often they've named a move after him, “the dumbbell”. Which would be really funny except for the fact dumbbells are a piece of equipment. I expect accuracy in my snark. Meanwhile, Gino is still going on about WM7 having the largest PPV audience of all time and oh my god, please stop. You stink of desperation worse than David Davis at the Brexit talks.

I also need to highlight Virgil's generic rear end ring-gear

You might notice that I'm talking about the commentary a lot here. That's because the match is nothing to write home about. Or on SA for that matter. DiBiase takes a control then connects with a big clothesline and a piledriver. Heenan mentions hosting a Wrestlemania Party on live TV which sounds like a precursor to the Wrestlemania Rage Party of '99. I bet this must have been awful. I'm sure the fans must have been very excited to stand about 200 feet away from a guy who sorta looks like the Barbarian.

DiBiase hits a lovely gutwrench suplex and tosses Virgil over the top rope. He heads outside the ring to keep the attack and takes the opportunity to push Piper over. He's an injured man, you dick! DiBiase gets back in the ring but Piper pulls down the ropes with his crutch and DiBiase comes running in and he spills to the outside. DiBiase is pissed at Piper for continuing the fight that he'd already started and gives him a solid punch and then DIBIASE LOSES BY COUNTOUT. Ahahaha, did they really just do that? I can't believe that. That is such bullshit.

With the match over DiBiase takes out his frustrations on Virgil and locks on the Million Dollar Dream but Piper comes in to make the save by smacking DiBiase with his crutch. But then who the hell should show up to get involved but one of the last people you expect.

A wild Sherri appears!

Yeah, what the hell? Sherri's here and she grabs hold of the crutch which gives DiBiase the chance to take out piper. The two of them team up to go nuts on Piper's injured knee. However, Virgil's had the chance to recover and sends DiBiase and Sherri scurrying into retreat. Piper is really mad at getting attacked and in his rage throws a crutch right into a ref's dick. Hehehe. Piper struggles to stand so instead of helping him up like a normal person Virgil yells at him to get to his feet. Hey, yelling ain't gonna make his bones heal any faster!

Guys, what the gently caress just happened? I'm pretty sure at one point I was watching a match but at some point it descended into pure farce. The bit that really gets me is that they've got a big new fan favourite and this is how they decide to put him over. Virgil looked like an absolute joke here. Now I'm not necessarily saying that was the wrong thing to do because Virgil sucks but I really want to know is if that was what they were intending to achieve. The one beacon of hope here is the new relationship between DiBiase and Sherri. It's a combination I'd not even thought about but one I'm very intrigued by. DiBiase's got a similar pompous arrogance to Savage and his character plays big in a way almost none of the other heels do and you need that to keep Sherri from overshadowing you. I can't wait to see what these two are like in action.

Rarity fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 12, 2018

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Virgil absolutely was a Superstar. It says so right on his sign!

Also, the ref that got crutched in the dick happened to be a (reinstated) Dangerous Danny Davis.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Look at all that swagger.

I don't want to comment on Virgil too much just yet, but I feel that he goes in a really good direction that unfortunately can't go too far because of a corner they write themselves into. What I can comment on, because it has absolutely zero bearing on PPVs, is that Virgil did briefly have a "Santina Marella" gimmick where his twin sister Virginia (?) showed up as part of the feud. It was as dumb as you'd expect.

I did really like the lead-up to WM7's tag division stuff. To crown a #1 contender, they had all the tag teams (except Haku/Barbarian) do a battle royal where one guy getting eliminated also means his partner is gone. The ending was pretty well-done, as LOD eliminated Power and Glory, then went up against the Nasty Boys. When they set one of them up for the Doomsday Device, Roma returned and shook the top rope, causing Hawk to fall to the floor. The Nasty Boys got their title shot and one of the selling points of WM7 was that LOD was going to murder the gently caress out of Herc and Roma. Though, yeah, Demolition would have been a better fit here.

Anyway, I absolutely love how cringeworthy that Hawk promo is. LOD always had this amazing intensity that was contrasted with a total inability to say cool things. The one LOD promo that ranks the highest in "makes you want to throw the remote at the TV" is one from around this time where they showed up on Burtis' Barbershop interview segment. After going on about their opponents, Hawk was shown holding a barbershop prop in hand and stared at it.

"Ugh. What a brush."

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

From what I've seen, their promos in JCP absolutely would not have been ok in the WWF. That probably handicapped them a fair bit.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Gavok posted:

"Ugh. What a brush."
LOD? More like DAD! :dadjoke:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sensational :swoon:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 38 days!
Sherri was amazing and I totally had a crush on her in my teenage years. :allears:

I remember when one of the Apter mags used to do a full-color section on wrestlers "outside the ring", showing them at home, in the gym, etc. They did one on Sherri, I think it was just before she left the AWA for the WWF, and she was a million miles removed from her in-ring character, just so sweetly pretty in the photos they used. :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

As somebody who was watching at the time, I was super into the idea of Virgil beating up Ted Dibiase... and that was it.

What I mean by that is that my interest was purely in Dibiase, I wanted to see him get his comeuppance and take a beating. They told the story really well and I was behind Virgil, but only insofar as it would mean Dibiase getting what was coming to him. I wasn't excited at all by the idea of what Virgil might do after that, in fact that didn't even occur to me as something that was going to happen. It was all about Dibiase, and while you couldn't have just swapped anybody else in on the face side (Virgil was uniquely placed) without Dibiase it wouldn't have had legs.

I hope that makes sense!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's basically why the Alex Riley thing was dead on arrival a few years ago, too. People wanted to see Miz get his, but no-one was actually invested in Riley.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Gavok posted:

Look at all that swagger.

I always thought he looked like Noel Edmunds, and I can only assume that this is the start of Sherri transitioning into Mr. Blobby.

(If you're non-UK that will make zero sense. And probably even if you are UKish!)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Marmaduke! posted:

I always thought he looked like Noel Edmunds, and I can only assume that this is the start of Sherri transitioning into Mr. Blobby.

(If you're non-UK that will make zero sense. And probably even if you are UKish!)

OH MY GOD I CAN'T UNSEE IT :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Deal Or No Deal could have been so much better.