Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Hockles posted:

I guess you don't really consider Rage in the Cage a sequel, but it kind of is.

I did not have a Sega CD. Was it any different from RAW aside from the roster, cage, and the likely introduction of long load times?

Oh apparently it's pre-RAW. eugh.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

Although the sequel Royal Rumble is actually much better. Gameplay was still largely the same button mashing, but the characters at least had their finishers. And they added a thing where you could bump the ref and get away with cheating until he woke up

I played the gently caress out of that game when I was a kid. Irish whip opponent into the referee, then go nuts with the eye rakes and choking until the ref wakes up.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
That's a lovely write up Gavok :allears:

So you might be wondering about the lack of updates. Well, I'm working on a little something special and because I have unreasonably high standards I want to put the effort in to make it good but that does mean it's time consuming. Also, I just downloaded Civ 4 again...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Good lord, at least upgrade to Civ V, woman!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Unless you're playing Fall from Heaven

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm playing Caveman 2 Cosmos so you'll probably hear from me in like, a month

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
See, a Rarity hiatus normally means I reanimate my review thread and torture myself with bad WCW.

Oddly, though, I’ve been watching GOOD shows, like Takeovers and old Clash of the Champions. Bad review fodder, but MUCH easier to watch.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Gaz-L posted:

Good lord, at least upgrade to Civ V, woman!
Look at this! Look at this wrong opinion!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

frankenfreak posted:

Look at this! Look at this wrong opinion!

Civ V owns, sorry your computer is too bad to run it. :colbert:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I try not to contribute to the toxicity and bad discourse found in online video game debates but if you think Civ 5 is better than Civ 4 you have some kind of mental illness.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Right, does anyone know of a good free video editor. The program I downloaded is utter garbage :sigh:

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Rarity posted:

Right, does anyone know of a good free video editor. The program I downloaded is utter garbage :sigh:

DaVinci Resolve is kinda hard to learn but really powerful. Look up videos on YouTube to learn to use it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I try not to contribute to the toxicity and bad discourse found in online video game debates but if you think Civ 5 is better than Civ 4 you have some kind of mental illness.

Stacks are awful and it's good the game got rid of them because they singlehandedly ruin every aspect of the military sphere.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Defiance Industries posted:

Stacks are awful and it's good the game got rid of them because they singlehandedly ruin every aspect of the military sphere.

Stacks: bad for military play

Enemy has no functional military AI: Good for military play

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The rest of the game could be Call to Power 2 and it would still be better than Civ 4 by virtue of not having stacks, yes

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
If this thread dies an ignoble death, I want Rarity to know that it was my favorite on the forums.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Nystral posted:

If this thread dies an ignoble death, I want Rarity to know that it was my favorite on the forums.

So it turns out I'm not good at video editing and I've had other stuff on my mind these last couple of weeks. Here's where I'm at, I've got a backlog that's built to a natural stopping point so I'm going to burn that off and then in the meantime if I decide to keep going I'll get back into it. If not then that will be the end of this thread.

Anyway, time to get back into things with the RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRoyal RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRumble!

---

Over we cross to Alfred who is with Ric Flair. He announces that he has drawn #3 for the Rumble but he doesn't see it as a disadvantage because it means he can make everyone a believer. That's a strangely babyface promo for one of your biggest heels. But we don't have time to dwell on this because we go back to Zombie Mean Gene who introduces us to the best part of the show. You guessed it, it's time for the RUMBLE PROMOS!

Up first is Randy Savage who calls this the greatest wrestling event in the history of the WWF. He's been top of the mountain before and he's going right back there but he also wants to get his hands on Jake. Make up your mind, dude! It's not like you're getting both. There's a SUPER CLOSE UP of Sid Justice as he explains that we're looking at the man who is superior to all while sounding constipated as gently caress. You know there's pills you can take for that, right? The Repo Man's favourite thing to do is take stuff and tonight he gets to take the title from 29 other men because “what's mine is mine and what's yours is mine too”. That is a killer catchphrase.

Be vewy, vewy quiet, I'm hunting Wirgils

The last time British Bulldog was in a match like this it was down my neck of the woods in London and it was a big thrill to win that one but tonight will be an even bigger thrill. Why, will be binging the end of Twin Peaks? Jake “The Snake” Roberts claims that you can never get what you want but he's always been able to get what he needs. Someone's just discovered the Rolling Stones I see. Curt Hennig calls Ric Flair “the man who rocks the cradle” because apparently we're all doing pop culture references now. Flair adds that there's no back door because “to be the man you gotta beat the man”. Woo! Ok, despite not caring about Flair that much I still popped for that line.

Unfortunately we are pressed for time so the run of the mill jobbers aren't getting any mic time this evening. Paul Bearer is anticipating a busy evening tonight so he's got 29 hearses prepared and when it's all over the Undertaker will be standing over the carnage. Aren't there rules in this day and age against mass burials? And speaking of mass burials we finish on Hulk Hogan who gets to prove to the whole world the power of Hulkamania. He claims that he's always getting “cheap-shotted by one of our so-called friends” or by “the no-good Jack Tunney”. Oh gently caress off, Hulk. How many of your buddies have you eliminated in Royal Rumbles. Maybe we should ask Savage, Warrior and Tugboat? He tells Titan Towers not to worry because he's got a special plan for Jake and Taker which is all well and good but he should probably be worrying about the other 27 dudes as well.

Now that those are out of the way there's only one thing left to do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_sJmIQrH54

WWF Title Match
The Royal Rumble

No matter how lacklustre a Royal Rumble's undercard may be (and let's be fair, this one was pretty drat lacklustre) I can't not be hype for the Rumble itself. I've drawn my random selection this year as #19 so here's hoping it's one of the big hitters. Heenan is worried that Flair might have picked #1 or #2 so he clearly wasn't paying attention to Flair's interview earlier. What kind of financial advisor do you call yourself, Bobby? Finkel introduces Jack Tunney to the crowd and he gets a solid round of boos so it looks like Tunney is the only man to ever pull off a heel turn by being poo poo at his job. Tunney welcomes everyone watching the event and fucks up his lines because of course he loving does. Tunney is the worst at everything.

WORST HAIR

Ok, almost everything

We're kicking things off with #1 British Bulldog and I swear to Jibble if the next man out is the Warlord then I am closing this thread down. Luckily for all of us it turns out to be #2 Ted DiBiase along with Sherri who's looking not that weird tonight apart from a massive amount of cleavage. Now I could go on a rant here about unnecessary sexualisation but I'm just gonna say drat because... drat! What can I say? I'm a woman, I have needs!

We're getting off to a fast start as DiBiase nails a gutwrench suplex. On commentary Gino claims that Luke has the shortest Rumble stint on record even though we all know it's the Warlord. Come on Gino, it's like you've never watched an All About The Numbers video package! DiBiase thinks he's eliminated Bulldog and celebrates but when he turns around Bulldog clotheslines him over and out! Whoa! That is the most I have ever seen DiBiase get punked out. He's furious but the refs block his way to the ring and send him to the back as the countdown begins and we all know who's coming next.

MOST INCORRECT PREDICTION

Gorilla Monsoon: “You can kiss him goodbye, Brain!”

Nobody beat the man

Heenan is not happy to see #3 Ric Flair enter at such an early position and gets more and more vocal as Bulldog beats on him. Bulldog hits a big Gorilla press slam and Flair starts begging off as #4 Jerry Sags comes down to help him out. Sags and Flair team up on Bulldog while Heenan freaks out on commentary. Is he going to be like this all match? Bulldog nails a double clothesline and throws over Sags, who manages to save himself. Sags celebrates but he's got his back to the ring and doesn't see Bulldog launch a dropkick his way that finishes off the job. Note to next entrant: don't celebrate without paying attention to Bulldog.

Out next is #5 Haku as Bulldog connects with a big powerslam on Flair. Haku and Flair team up but it doesn't last long as they turn on each other although this winds up Flair backing off in fear. Don't worry Ric, Haku's as ineffectual in the ring as he is deadly outside it. Haku hits a piledriver on Bulldog but Flair goes for his eyes and soon after Bulldog dumps him out. They're making Bulldog look strong out of the gates here, it must be said. #6 Shawn Michaels is next and he has got SO MUCH HEAT out of this heel turn. Who knew that people gave this much of a poo poo about Marty Jannetty?

With Shawn in the ring the pace picks up as he connects with a big back body drop and a superkick to Flair. Bulldog nails a Gorilla press slam on Shawn and clotheslines him over the top rope but Shawn breaks the cycle of the match so far by saving himself on the apron. Shawn badly botches a superkick so Bulldog decides to sell it anyway. Somewhere in the world a young Jinder Mahal learns a valuable life lesson. Bulldog whips Shawn into the turnbuckle where he flips up and lands on top so Bulldog gives him a kick to send him crotch first onto the top rope. Hehehe, he's just so casual about it.

Shawn on the other hand is anything but casual

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

For a dude who was a perennial midcarder, Bulldog always had inexplicable kayfabe skill at Rumbles

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

For a dude who was a perennial midcarder, Bulldog always had inexplicable kayfabe skill at Rumbles

As a kid I always thought Bulldog was one match away from being the guy.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Rarity posted:

Over we cross to Alfred who is with Ric Flair. He announces that he has drawn #3 for the Rumble but he doesn't see it as a disadvantage because it means he can make everyone a believer. That's a strangely babyface promo for one of your biggest heels. But we don't have time to dwell on this because we go back to Zombie Mean Gene who introduces us to the best part of the show. You guessed it, it's time for the RUMBLE PROMOS!

Keep that babyface like promo in mind for this Rumble yes

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I believe the Flair interview where he revealed his starting draw was added in the video release.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rarity posted:

If not then that will be the end of this thread.

you_were_the_chosen_one.jpg

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I believe the Flair interview where he revealed his starting draw was added in the video release.

This is true. When it aired live, we found out about his spot via his entrance.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Rarity posted:

Don't make me have to start watching Uncensored's, Rarity! I'm begging you here!

Also, gotta say it... you're watching Bobby Heenan's finest hour right now.

(Well, one of them. He had a LOT of finest hours)

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Rarity posted:

Definitely hope this isn't the case, but if it's becoming a drag...of course.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, Bulldog always felt like he COULD be somebody big. I guess he was perfectly placed on the midcard in that he was the kind of guy who was impressive to beat but always seemed like a threat to anybody.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
He's always sort of presented like a main eventer, just never actually is.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

He probably could of been a main event guy if he had a manager or didn't end up doing lots of other drugs besides Steroids

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

We're talking, of course, about Bulldog as we've seen him up to this point. Who knows what the future might bring (none of us, it hasn't happened yet!)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's kind of why I'm sceptical about Davey Boy Jr as the face of the ITV thing right now. He's got name recognition but is missing the 'It' factor. Kinda like his old man

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Gavok posted:

Before Rarity hits the fireworks factory, I figured I’d talk about another media release from this time in WWF history. I’d like to discuss the bane of my childhood, a little game known as Super WrestleMania.

LJN is known for being a sub-par-at-best video game company that specialized in licensed games. They made a handful of WWF games for NES and while they were mostly garbage (their best release around that time was probably the 1991 Superstars game they made for Game Boy), you could give them a pass because it was the NES days. Wrestling games were more miss than hit back then.

This brings back memories of the (first?) Wrestlemania NES game that came out in '89, I believe. I was so stoked to play it and had only been watching wrestling for about 2 years by that point (I was 9) and it was so...underwhelming. I expected the cruddy graphics and music, but good lord that gameplay was atrocious trash. My brother who hated wrestling actually somehow managed to dedicate enough time to beat it over the course of a weekend, but I never had the patience to slog through that boring-rear end excuse for a "game". Ugh.

I did manage to beat one of the WWF titles that came out on the original Playstation in the late '90s/early '00s, think it was either a Smackdown or In Your House game, wasn't too bad actually.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The main problem with Bulldog is that he can't cut a promo for poo poo which for me is really killing any chance of me seeing him as a big deal.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
But for us Brit fans back in the day, he was basically Best Hart or Shawn Michaels level, in our minds at least, even if he hasn't had so much heat or focus (up to the present time in the thread. Who knows what the future-past holds!).

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Marmaduke! posted:

But for us Brit fans back in the day, he was basically Best Hart or Shawn Michaels level, in our minds at least, even if he hasn't had so much heat or focus (up to the present time in the thread. Who knows what the future-past holds!).

Yeah I will say that growing up in the Attitude Era l Bulldog was presented as an absolute legend. He was the guy who every British wrestler was compared to

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rarity posted:

Yeah I will say that growing up in the Attitude Era l Bulldog was presented as an absolute legend. He was the guy who every British wrestler was compared to

Understandable considering the standard of the British wrestling scene in the late 90s, you had Bulldog, you had Regal, and Finlay and then you had the local scene which was at its nadir and for every Robbie Brookside or younger guy like Doug Williams there were seemingly a couple of dozen guys whose thing was just Fake Undertaker or Fake Kane or Fake Doink or Fake Shawn Michaels who definitely wasn't a sexy boy but had a chubby belly and was from Weston-Super-Mare (probably, I'm guessing). So Bulldog was huge compared to them, figuratively and literally.

Out of interest, what theme song did Shawn come out to during the Rumble? Was he still using the Rockers theme? Been so long since I watched this show, I can't remember.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

forkboy84 posted:

Understandable considering the standard of the British wrestling scene in the late 90s, you had Bulldog, you had Regal, and Finlay and then you had the local scene which was at its nadir and for every Robbie Brookside or younger guy like Doug Williams there were seemingly a couple of dozen guys whose thing was just Fake Undertaker or Fake Kane or Fake Doink or Fake Shawn Michaels who definitely wasn't a sexy boy but had a chubby belly and was from Weston-Super-Mare (probably, I'm guessing). So Bulldog was huge compared to them, figuratively and literally.

Out of interest, what theme song did Shawn come out to during the Rumble? Was he still using the Rockers theme? Been so long since I watched this show, I can't remember.

Only the first 2 participants got their entrance music and intros, everyone else just came when the buzzer sounded

I can't remember when they finally switch it over to buzzer + music, but its still a few years out iirc

also way to forget about Big Daddy

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

exploded mummy posted:

Or Giant Haystacks who even made it to WCW!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

This has already been answered, but since I just found this recently and it's now relevant, here is Shawn Michaels first theme song during his singles run. It's an odd choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbJDhIPUbmU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

exploded mummy posted:

Only the first 2 participants got their entrance music and intros, everyone else just came when the buzzer sounded

I can't remember when they finally switch it over to buzzer + music, but its still a few years out iirc

That's a really weird choice, having a guys music play just seems like a good way to get a cheap pop, when you hear the opening bars.

And yeah, I wasn't discounting any of the Joint Promotions guys, it's more just that by the time of the Attitude era they'd been off the screens for a decade and the only televised wrestling here was American (actually, New Japan was on Eurosport but that's not exactly a huge deal). Both Big Daddy & Giant Haystacks were dead by the end of '98 so the UK wrestling scene really was mostly dead from say '92 until FWA (& to a lesser extent the NWA Hammerlock school) picked up steam around 2000/01. The only wrestling show I saw live as a teen was basically a "WWF tribute show", with everyone just ripping off someones gimmick, so you got a 5'11" tall Undertaker & such wonderful poo poo.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
This reminds me of a story Mick Foley tells in his first book where he worked for a promoter who booked acts such as “Buck Hogan”, taught some twelve year olds to walk bow legged so he could use them as midget wrestlers, and put Cactus Jack in a tag team as one of the South Sea Islanders. When Mick objected, the promoter told him he could still be Cactus Jack, but they’d announce him as being from Tonga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

forkboy84 posted:

That's a really weird choice, having a guys music play just seems like a good way to get a cheap pop, when you hear the opening bars.

We're not really in that era yet.

We are in January 1992. This is stil the era where there is no Monday Night Raw, there is no bigass set. There is no Titantron.

WWF really training people to listen for intro cues for pops and ignore everything else doesnt really happen until the Attitude Era.