Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Renaissance Spam posted:

But while this sounds like a stealth defense, rewatching a lot of those matches I can't help but think "drat, he really was rather boring in the ring".

Well part of this is also the style of the time, too. Vince wanted his monster heels to be immobile and for everyone to bounce off of them.
Part of it was protecting his investment I suppose, which is reasonable enough, but also because he didn't want Andre to show up the lovely roided up bodybuilders and circus freaks that constituted the WWF roster for the majority of the 80's.

You can see it in the WAR videos I linked to earlier in the thread. The Natural Disasters were able to have a fun, watchable brawl with the LOD in Japan when they were allowed to cut loose and more motivated to put on a good match for a Japanese audience.
Quake was certainly no Bam Bam Bigelow, but he could do a 20-minute match without being winded and that's pretty impressive. Not to mention his amazing feats of strength--like catching 300-lb. Bossman FROM THE TOP ROPE without budging an inch.

It's the same with Andre, even before he physically deteriorated rapidly in the PPV era.
Watching Andre move in early 70's matches from Montreal and Japan is absolutely surreal--absolutely surreal seeing him do dropkicks, top rope moves, and MMA submissions.
You would never believe it was the same Andre from watching WWF PPV.
Even in his famous (forgotten) Shea Stadium match with Hogan in 1980, he doesn't even look the same.
Andre in his prime was way better and mobile than the likes of King Kong Bundy or One Man Gang could have dreamed of being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Rarity's FAVE FIVE

5. Rick Martel – Out of all the wrestlers in this list of top guys Martel has got to be the one who snuck up on me the most. Hell, this was so unexpected I didn't even bother to give him a proper introduction when he debuted. When he teamed up with Tito I was into it but not crazy or anything and then when he turned heel I was down on that for a little while as well. Then he developed a poncey French accent (he definitely didn't have that at WM5) and kept his character changing all while being a smug rear end douche. It was fantastic to watch and I really appreciated seeing somebody grow at a time when the roster was very stagnant. The feud with Jake went a long way to establish his credentials and it's such a shame that his protracted absence right after killed his momentum. There's still so much you can do with this character and he's got so much potential in the ring that we haven't fully explored. Of all the guys on my list here, Martel's the one we've seen the least out of and I hope he gets a chance to fully let loose before he says his goodbyes.
4. Bret Hart – I'm going to level with you guys. I've been thinking about this list for a long time now and for most of the Golden Era I didn't even have Bret cracking into my fave five. Sure, the Hart Foundation were one of the best tag teams of their day and Bret held up his side of that well but he still hadn't fully connected with me. But then these last few shows hit and it's on the strength of that singles run that Bret has managed to place where he has. In less than a year he's delivered two of the best matches we've seen yet and he's wrestling on another level to almost everybody else around him. It helps that he looks more and more like a badass with every appearance but at the end of the day he really is just too good at what he does to ignore.
3. Randy Savage – Oh yeah! There was no way that I could leave the Macho Madness out of my fave five. It's funny, out of all the guys on this list he's got the least in-ring technical ability but what Savage got better than almost anyone was the art of storytelling. If we're going to use my definition of this era's style of wrestling as '80s wrestling' then Savage was the best 80s wrestler out there. He was capable of taking this style and creating something dramatic and emotional because he understood exactly how to take an audience along with him on his journey. Then there were the promos – oh god, the coked up promos! No one was better on the mic in this era than Savage. Everything he did was entertaining and everything he said was meaningful. And of course, I have to give shoutouts to Elizabeth and Sherri here too. Ignoring all the issues I brought up in my feminist critique of their characters, the dynamic they each had with Savage was a huge part of his appeal and were a big help in building his aura. This last year of shows, especially, Savage has been the real highlight. I'm so glad he got to reunite with Elizabeth, I'm so glad he came back and I'm so glad he got to be WWF champion one more time. I know that his star is close to fading now, we don't have long left to go so let's make sure we enjoy every second.
2. Curt Hennig – If you'd asked me before this thread to describe Curt Hennig then the words I'd have used would be along the lines of 'boring', 'outdated' and 'washed up'. Now that I've had a chance to check out Hennig in his prime there's only one word I could ever go with and that's perfect. When he arrived on the roster he was such a breath of fresh air. You could tell from the way he walked to the way he talked through the way he wrestled that he was different to anyone else we'd seen. It was the first warning sign that the days of the Golden Era stars were on their way out and a new generation was rising up beneath them. He had workrate to get the crowd buzzing, he had charisma to get them riled up and he had a hard-working attitude that meant he always gave his all. How else could you describe him? He was just... perfect. Although not quite as perfect as...
1. Rick Rude – Could it ever have been in doubt? The #1 spot in my fave five could only ever have gone to MAH BOY Rick Rude who's absence still leaves a hole in my heart that begs to be filled. Holy poo poo, what can I say to gush about this guy that I've not already said at some point in this thread? He was just everything you could want from a professional wrestler. He could go in the ring like few others, he wasn't afraid to put his body through hell to make his opponents look good, he was creative and innovative, he cut fun promos, he looked amazing... he was legit the total package. And the gimmick! Oh my god, he had that poo poo absolutely nailed down to perfection. He lived and breathed that gimmick and it infused everything he did. Just look at that amazing array of butt costumes that were so fun they inspired a segment in this thread that will on long after he's gone. And really at the end of the day that's what Rude did better than anybody in this era. He was just plain fun. Whether he was calling the crowd 'sweathogs' or showing us his most muscular poses or jumping off the top of a cage he was committed to entertaining. It's kinda funny, when I wrote up my introduction for him I described him as the 80s version of Dolph Ziggler. And anyone who knows me well knows how much love I've had in my life for Dolph Ziggler. I didn't even know it and I was already calling out my own fangirling. I really shouldn't be surprised that this is where we've ended up. So as this is the last chance I'm ever going to get to talk about Rick Rude I want to take one final moment to appreciate this brilliant, hilarious, talented, amazing man. You're time in the WWF was all too short.

Worst Wrestlemania Celebrity: Bob Uecker (WM4)

The practice of parading out celebrities at Wrestlemania each year in a desperate attempt to gain some mainstream credibility is one I have come to accept, both in this age and the present day. And there's nothing inherently bad about using celebrities, some have even made for some of the most memorable Wrestlemania moments out there. I'm talking about Tyson, I'm talking about Mayweather, I'm talking about Herb. None of this is an accurate way of describing Bob Uecker's appearance at WM4 in which he gets numerous spotlights throughout to display how much of a racist, sexist wanker he is who promotes himself over the wrestlers. This hiedous attitude is eventually rewarded with confirmation and gratification when he meets Vanna White and she does not immediately run in terror, allowing him to literally explode with excitement. Remember girls, if a dirty old man is interested in you it's your duty to make him happy! gently caress this whole thing.

Best Hulk Hogan Match: Hulk Hogan and Burtus Beefcake vs. Randy Savage and Zeus (No Holds Barred)

While it's very clear by now that I am far from a Hulkamaniac I still think we should take a moment to step back and recognise the importance he had to this era by celebrating his best match during this time. And surprises of surprises, it's a match that includes both Burtus, who couldn't wrestle for poo poo, and Zeus, who also couldn't wrestle for poo poo but at least the excuse that he wasn't a trained wrestler. Despite these obstacles as well as the issue of Hulk's own less than stellar workrate these four men (and Sherri) manage to tell a compelling and exciting story. Savage is giving it his all here, going to extreme lengths to provide excitement by taking some high-risk for the era bumps. Meanwhile, Sherri is a constant irritant from the sidelines, Zeus shows commitment to the role by taking a few moves and for all his shortcomings Hulk was always very connected to the fans so he gets the crowd heated up well. And Burtus is there too, I guess. All in all, the success of this match goes to show that you don't need to be a technical wizard or an acrobatic daredevil to tell a good story.

Biggest Marty: Marty Jannetty

I know, I'm shocked he won this one too. That's because Marty was in many ways a fine performer. He could match his tag team partner for athleticism and was just as capable of showing that babyface fire. The only problem was he had a tendency to... well, Marty things up all over the place. Whether it was stumbling into the crowd while blinded or accidentally knocking his own partner out with his opponent there was no match where Marty couldn't clutch defeat from the claws of victory. Hell, he Martied things up so bad that he couldn't even not break a window when he headbutted it. To be fair, it's probably a good thing that his run ended where it did before he could Marty even more things up. At least this way he doesn't have to worry about his name becoming synonymous with tag team failure and obscurity for the rest of existence. Boy, that sure would be embarrassing!

Best Theme: All-American Boys ~ The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers

In truth, the musical pickings from this era are fairly lacklustre. We're still at a time where everyone gets generic guitar instrumental with a slight cultural bent if you happen to ethnic. Very few themes stand out because almost everything sounds identical. I dare you to tell the difference between Burtus's theme and Greg's theme. See? But not so for All-American Boys. This raucous burst of energy is a Jimmy Hart special and you can tell that must be true because of how much it stands out. The melody isn't even the best part though. It's the lyrics. Over the course of the song the Rougeaus sing about their love for Barry Mannilow and the preppy style before devolving into insulting the fans in French. It's heeling at it's finest and was a perfect mix for their subtle character work. Their time in the thread has long since passed but this theme is still a fixture on my Spotify.

Most Feels: The Randy Savage/Elizabeth reunion

Oh my god, few moments in wrestling have touched my heart like the events after Savage's retirement match at WM7. Johnny Gargano almost forgiving Tommaso Ciampa, Christian's first World Title win, Rey winning the Rumble for Eddie. It takes a lot to break through the stone exterior of the withered husk that resides in my chest but holy poo poo this didn't just break through, it shattered me into a million pieces. Savage and Elizabeth are at their best here, their emotions fully etched on their face. And after a compelling match that already leaves you drained the resolution here is purely cathartic. Years of turmoil, years of sadness, years of booing the Macho Man when you didn't really want to are all suddenly pushed aside as you get this one big release. Savage and Elizabeth are together at last. Love is real. And if these two crazy kids can finally get it right then there must be hope for the rest of us.

Biggest Disappointment: Legion of Doom

As I was rereading through the thread to gather my thoughts for these awards I reached my introduction for LOD and I was shocked to see how excited I was. Because drat, I do not give a single poo poo about of these guys any more. It's not that LOD are terrible exactly but they're not good either and in the two years they've been around they've done a grand total of gently caress all. There was a feud with Demolition we never got a pay-off for, a feud with the Disasters we never got a pay-off for, a jobber squash of Power and Glory and the loving Nasty Boys. Over the years I had built up such an image of these guys as unstoppable monsters and in the course of a few shows the WWF has turned them into a couple of boring hosses and there's not a single match or feud out there for them that I want to see.

Best Manager: Sensational Sherri

Aw yeah, I've been waiting to do this one. I finally get to spend some time talking about one of the best people of the entire era. Sherri is my jam, yo. The majority of managers we've seen in this thread are interchangeable. Sure, most of them have one defining characteristic. Jimmy has a megaphone, Heenan is a weasel, Slick is black. Yes, they all have their thing. But Sherri was different. She was more than a thing, she was many. She didn't have a defining characteristic because she was a fully defined character. And my god was that character absolutely batshit insane. She had crazy makeup, she wore crazy outfits, she pulled crazy faces and she screamed crazy stuff. She was the weird lady who you see at the park who smells like cats and carries around a bag full of leaves except back in her prime when she was the hot kind of crazy. She added so much to Savage's character by giving him someone who was just as willing to play big to bounce off of while Elizabeth might have got the ring we all know who the real power couple was in the Golden Era. Her partnership with DiBiase was a bit of a bust but now that she's with Shawn I think she has the potential to reach even greater heights from here on out.

Best Commentator: Jesse Ventura

While Jesse was mostly featured in this thread for his commitment to the fashion industry we can't forget that he was also very good at his real job as well. On the mic Jesse had a swagger that other colour announcers through the years have never really been able to match. He gave the impression that if he wanted to he could get right back in the ring and kick your rear end and that's not a sense you get from other ex-wrestlers. His attitude meant that despite everything he said to support the heels you could never really hate him. He never failed to entertain, he never failed to put the talent over and it's going to be long time before we have someone close to his level at the announce desk again.

Best Angle: The Temptation of the Ultimate Warrior (Royal Rumble 1991)

This was loving fantastic. As these segments go it wasn't particularly complicated and there weren't any major story beats, it was just the quality of the performances that made this stand out so much. Up till now we'd only ever seen Sherri go big as she played up her craziness with a manic energy but here we saw a new side of her. Rather than screaming with rage she was calm and controlled as she tried to manipulate Warrior into granting Savage a title shot. And of course, the suggested blowjob is just hilarious. Warrior also plays his part well, reacting like a kid who doesn't really get what's happening but knows that he likes it only to turn it back around on Sherri with a firm refusal. And it all ends with Savage sprinting in like a man possessed which is always a beautiful sight. This was sheer joy.

Best Show: Royal Rumble 1991

There weren't many good shows from the era to choose between for this award but we still end up with a worthy winner in Royal Rumble '91. Outside from that wonderful Rockers/Orient tag match the in-ring quality wasn't great but this show really stood out in its storytelling. Everything that goes down between Savage and Warrior is so big and so fun and they do a great job of tying it throughout the whole show. There's also the Virgil turn which was absolutely massive and for one brief shining moment it looked like Virgil was a star. That's how loving good it was, it made Virgil look like a big deal. And after all this goodness there was a Rumble as well! This was a highly watchable show and one of the first that still stands up to viewing today.

Worst Show: Wrestlemania IV

Tournaments are a bad idea for a PPV. Yeah, you heard me, guy who invented King of the Ring, I went there. But it's true, tournaments don't work on PPV for a number of reasons. The wrestlers get more and more tired throughout the night so by the time they get to the biggest matches they're too knackered to be at their best. By this time the fans have also seen these wrestlers a bunch and are likely starting to get bored of them. Then to combat these first two problems you wind up with a whole lot of bullshit finishes designed to let people skip matches so they're not so tired. Also, because it's a tournament no one knows what the main event will be so there's less to be hyped up about as well. All of these problems in WM4 a show that features such delights as a bad Steamboat match, Savage main eventing in his fourth match of the night, DiBiase being exhausted after ten minutes of work, the Bob Uecker subplot, Hoganplex '88, Jake and Rude going fifteen minutes in a snorefest, Bret being flummoxed by a trophy and the One Man Gang in the semi-finals. Ugh.

And that's our final award awarded. But we're not through with the Rarities just yet. Join me next time as we draw these festivities to a close with The Dream Matches: Then vs. Now!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Then after Rude leaves WWF, he goes to WCW and has a run that's generally regarded as even better (feuding with Ricky Steamboat, the other really good wrestler WWF forgot to do anything with)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love this thread so much :allears:

Savage reuniting with Elizabeth was seriously one of the best moments ever :shobon:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

Then after Rude leaves WWF, he goes to WCW and has a run that's generally regarded as even better (feuding with Ricky Steamboat, the other really good wrestler WWF forgot to do anything with)

Rick Rude in WCW goes to the finals of the second goddamn G1 Climax and he fits in perfectly. Man was goddamn incredible.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
His feud with Dustin Rhodes over the US title was fun, too. Rude was kinda still green when WWE first started using him, but by the time him and Warrior started feuding, he'd gotten really good, the guy was really in his prime in WCW. Sometimes I wish we could have gotten a long feud between Rude and Hogan in WCW. I also think feuds with Michaels and Hart would have been great, had WWE not undervalued him.

Dude also has a fascinating place in wrestling history because of the Monday Night Wars double appearance fiasco, plus he was the one who told Bischoff on the phone that the Montreal Screwjob was a shoot. Also one of the legit tough guys in the business who doesn't come off as a king sized rear end in a top hat.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 30, 2018

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

:eng101: triple appearance, he was also on ECW Hardcore TV as a color commentator at the time

The best Rude stories come from Austin, honestly, like when he, someone else, and Rude went and stayed at a cabin on a hunting trip. They hunted, they skinned, they cooked, they ate, and afterwards, Rude walks over to the couch, pulls a joint out of his knapsack, and lights it up, leaning back and relaxing. Austin pipes up asks: “hey, you wanna help us clean off the table?” to which Rude just replies, “gently caress no!” and continues smoking his joint.

And then of course, them doing loops together in WCW during the Dangerous Alliance, Austin watching Rude go and do a circuit of upper body exercises and then cool down. After enough times of watching it happen, he finally brings up to Rude, “you never work on your legs, man!” To which Rude just tells him, “it’s an upper body business, Steve!”

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 30, 2018

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

I will actually say Rarity if you ever get the urge to do another retrospective I would strongly recommend looking at WCW 1991-92.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Renaissance Spam posted:

I will actually say Rarity if you ever get the urge to do another retrospective I would strongly recommend looking at WCW 1991-92.

Seconding this. It's a hell of a time capsule for wrestling and a favorite period of mine because it was pretty wild for a young Canadian who hadn't really seen NWA at all (too young and we didn't get TBS in Canada until '90, I believe).

Rarity might well go apeshit for young Brian Pillman. WCW does not get criticized enough by people for not investing in him more. Unless you're me or Jim Cornette, this is something that Jim and I wholeheartedly agree on, they hosed up huge.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Cameo posted:

To which Rude just tells him, “it’s an upper body business, Steve!”

Austin quoting Rude never fails to make me laugh.

"FOR gently caress'S SAKE, STEVE!"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Right, it's time we finished this.

The Dream Matches

I figure we should close out this retrospective by taking a look back at some of the stars we've seen and thinking about which of the stars we know today should be squaring up against them. Thirty years of separation means that we'll never see these matches but just think about how great they would have been.

Hulk Hogan vs. John Cena – Ok, let's kick things off with the obvious one. It's the man who was the star of the Golden Era and the man who despite all of Vince's efforts to get Roman over is still the star of today. It's the greatest politician in wrestling history against SuperCena. The hype over who would win and who would do the job would be insane. Hell, this is the only match on this list which you could announce today and instantly out an arena for. The match would probably still be all right as well, seeing as Hulk couldn't ever wrestle in the first place and Big Match John knows how to adapt his style to his opponent.

…I think I just talked myself into wanting Hulk/Cena at WM35.

The Ultimate Warrior vs. The Undertaker – Just to be clear here I am referring to modern day Taker rather than the Golden Era version. Now on first glance this might not be the most logical option because Warrior was never a good worker and this version of Taker is long past his prime. However, as we've seen over the course of this thread Warrior could do spectacle in a big way and who in WWE has more spectacle than Taker. All you really need here is some elaborate entrances, staredowns, no-selling, a few big spots and some finisher kickouts and the clash between a dead man and the Dead Man would deliver that in spades.

Randy Savage vs. The Miz – I've said over and over again that Savage was the best at working the slow WWF style of the 80s so who better for him to go up against than the man who's the best at working WWE style of today. These two are so great at playing crowds that you know they'd be able to put on a killer match. And the promos! Dear god, the promos! Because it just so happens they're the best talkers of their respective eras as well. Just imagine Savage making an appearance on MizTV. Someone hire Jay Lethal already because I need to see that.

Andre the Giant vs. Braun Strowman – Because I want to see Braun lift up Andre, throw him into the air and drive him through the ring.

Rick Rude vs. Finn Balor – Like this could ever have gone down any other way. I just had to, guys. It's my boy in 1989 against my boy today. But believe it or not there's more going on here than just the competition to win Rarity's heart. Rude's whole thing was his narcissistic obsession with his body and in case you hadn't noticed Finn isn't exactly a slouch in that department. You know what? This doesn't even need to be a match, we can settle things with one of those Super Posedown. I'm sure want to see the strength of Finn's muscular... medley...

Excuse me a moment.

Jake “The Snake” Roberts vs. Randy Orton – Sorry, I just couldn't resist. But seriously, this makes far too much sense. Jake loves snakes and Orton is a snake so who knows who would come out on top? Although the likeliest outcome is obviously Orton winds up riding Jake out to the ring all the time by piggyback. And who wouldn't want to see that?

Demolition vs. The Revival – I knew that I had to include Demolition in this list as the #1 premier tag team of the era but it was difficult to reconcile that with the fact that they blew big giant chunks in the ring. They need to go up against a pair of talented workers and in the end I realised no one was better suited to take it to Demolition old school style than than the top guys. Dash and Dawson know how to work to this classic style of wrestling and have such a strong grip on tag team psychology that you know they'd be able to get something watchable out of this.

Legion of Doom vs. The Bar – The problem with LOD is that they stroll through all their matches without giving a poo poo about selling for their opponents. The solution here is to put them up against a couple of guys who are gonna gently caress them up so much they can't help but sell. This would be the hoss-off that LOD were designed for and seeing four big beefy dudes just smacking the hell out of each other is the kind of fun that we all got into wrestling to enjoy.

The Hart Foundation vs. Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn – While these two teams might seem very different at first glance they've actually a lot in common. They're both made up of Canadians, they're both made up of best friends, they both have a big beefy fighter and a smaller technical genius, they both have one dude who's silent and serious and one who's hyper and excitable. Yes, Kevin and Sami would have fit right in to the Harts' world. But as good as it would be to see them face off, it would be even better to see them team up. I'm sure that Kevin would rock the pink hard.

Curt Hennig vs. Curtis Axel – Oh boy, just think of the emotion in this father and son encounter. Hennig would be filled with disappointment that his son hadn't lived up to his own career, Axel would want to throw off the burden of his father's legacy. With a dynamic like that it barely even matters if the wrestlers are any good. You've got so much going on there that it would be watchable regardless. So with Hennig being really good and Axel being... well, with Hennig being really good it would be awesome.

Rowdy Roddy Piper vs. Drew McIntyre – For years Piper has appropriated the main cultural stereotypes of the Scottish people by always wearing a kilt, being a gobby little shitbag and doing all the drugs. This cannot be allowed to continue and no man is better to stop him than WWE's current Scottish superstar. Drew would smash Piper's head in like it was an Old Firm day and it would be beautiful.

Ted DiBiase vs. Stephanie McMahon – No, stick with me with this one guys. DiBiase likes to style himself as the Million Dollar Man and he's used that title to lord it over all fans and all wrestlers. So it's only fair we turn the tables by matching him up with the Million Dollar Princess. DiBiase won't look so smug when he's having to praise Stephanie for being a professional business leader and one-handedly kickstarting the women's revolution. We can finally see how he feels being the Virgil.

The Rockers vs. The Usos – This one's real simple. It's all about taking the flashiest and funnest team of the Golden Era and putting them up against the best tag team around today. They'll be singing Jailhouse Rock in the Uso Penitentiary tonight!

Rick Martel vs. Andrade 'Cien' Almas – We never got to see the big blow-off match between Martel and Tito so let's go for the next best option. Tito was the biggest Latinx star of the 80s so clearly he has to be replaced by the biggest Latinx star of today. Of course, this isn't an exact match because Almas is far more talented than Tito ever was and if Almas had been his partner he would never have turned his back on him. And I'm sure J-Ru will agree with me.

The Honky Tonk Man vs. Elias – I don't even want this to be a wrestling match. What I'm talking about here is a full on rock concert, baby. With two top performers such as these we'll be able to sell out stadiums. Honky can kick us off with 'Honka Honka Honky Love' before Elias wows us with his rendition of 'Your Town Sucks' and to finish things off we can get a duet for the encore. You know I'd be front row at that show.

The Jumping Bomb Angels vs. Sasha Banks and Bayley – The Angels were thirty years ahead of their time so really you could match them up with any combination of women from the main roster and you'd get something special. Sasha and Bayley were chosen in particular because they're the biggest female duo around. Just as long as they're still not caught in an interminable neverending non-feud.

The Fabulous Moolah vs. Asuka – Because holy poo poo how fun would it be to see Moolah get her poo poo wrecked.

Wow, that's it. That's the end. After over a year, twenty five PPVs, eighty forum pages and hundreds of hours of writing we have seen all that there is to see. So if this is where we draw things to a close then we'd better go out in style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs9RnEbdVDk
(Much love to CascadeBeta for the video)

I know it's taken a long time for me to post this. That's because I haven't wanted to write this last paragraph. I don't really know how to say goodbye to a project that was such a massive part of my life. For a year this was how I spent the majority of my free time, watching old WWE shows and then trying to throw as many dumb jokes into my writeups as I could. I had such a blast doing this and I want to say thank you to all of you for buying into it. As for the big looming question of the New Generation Era it is something I'm interested in watching one day but this was such an overwhelming project to take on and I want to use my free time for other things for a while. And as long time Rarity followers will know I'm notorious for fizzling out on my PSP writing projects. I'm really glad that I can tie a bow on everything here and call it a complete piece of work. So let's not call it never, let's just call it not now. Much like Hulk Hogan's renewed acceptance from WWE for being a racist I'll always be there, just waiting to come back. But as of now to all you sweathogs I'll tell you something, goodbye, good luck and goodnight.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Rarity posted:

And as long time Rarity followers will know I'm notorious for fizzling out on my PSP writing projects. I'm really glad that I can tie a bow on everything here and call it a complete piece of work. So let's not call it never, let's just call it not now.
Congratulations on this, truly heartfelt as someone who has trouble finishing things, too.

Also the video made me vote the thread Gold Gold again, just in case I hadn't before.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Congrats Rarity. This thread was a ton of fun.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rarity posted:

I know it's taken a long time for me to post this. That's because I haven't wanted to write this last paragraph. I don't really know how to say goodbye to a project that was such a massive part of my life. For a year this was how I spent the majority of my free time, watching old WWE shows and then trying to throw as many dumb jokes into my writeups as I could. I had such a blast doing this and I want to say thank you to all of you for buying into it. As for the big looming question of the New Generation Era it is something I'm interested in watching one day but this was such an overwhelming project to take on and I want to use my free time for other things for a while. And as long time Rarity followers will know I'm notorious for fizzling out on my PSP writing projects. I'm really glad that I can tie a bow on everything here and call it a complete piece of work. So let's not call it never, let's just call it not now. Much like Hulk Hogan's renewed acceptance from WWE for being a racist I'll always be there, just waiting to come back. But as of now to all you sweathogs I'll tell you something, goodbye, good luck and goodnight.

I guess there's only one thing left to do...

playfully throttles an angry Jerusalem as the thread goes off the air

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gavok posted:

I guess there's only one thing left to do...

playfully throttles an angry Jerusalem as the thread goes off the air

WE'REOUTTATIMEFOLKSSEEYOUONTHUNDER!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I am to this day shocked by how the Bomb Angels got good matches out of the loving Glamour Girls

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Rarity posted:

Curt Hennig vs. Curtis Axel – Oh boy, just think of the emotion in this father and son encounter. Hennig would be filled with disappointment that his son hadn't lived up to his own career, Axel would want to throw off the burden of his father's legacy. With a dynamic like that it barely even matters if the wrestlers are any good. You've got so much going on there that it would be watchable regardless. So with Hennig being really good and Axel being... well, with Hennig being really good it would be awesome.

Ric Flair carried his son David to a decent match in 2000 WCW with Vince Russo booking.

Which is a feat probably just under having a watchable Blindfold match with the Great Khali.

I'm sure Mr. Perfect in his prime could carry his son to something really good.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Thread did not live up to my expectations, I was not alive for the vast majority of it and nothing from MY childhood was shown to be terrible.

Real real good thread. The only disappointment is that I literally only found out about it right before the Rarity Awards.

Also, the Earthquake was great.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Glad this ends on page 69

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This thread loving ruled. Thanks Rarity :)

Edit: As much as I'd like to goldmine this while it is still on page 69, I'll leave it up for a bit for anybody who wants to make a few final comments about the time period covered/their own childhood memories of the wrestling as it happened.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Rarity being wrong about Bossman is all I needed to hear.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I'm glad I was able to contribute my small share to this awesome thread. What a wild ride, Rarity!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jekyll and Hyde posted:

Glad this ends on page 69

nice