Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Early WWE Savage is kind of in that Shawn Michaels/Ric Flair "He's a heel, but he's so flashy and entertaining he gets cheered anyway" mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Uh, Cab Calloway is actually a pretty big deal in jazz and big band music, and had a small revival in popularity around this time because he was in the Blues Brothers movie.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hoss is actually Dory Funk Jr, who is almost as well known and respected as his little brother (he is Terry's shoot brother), and is a pretty successful trainer too, having helped train Edge, Christian, Mickie James, Kurt Angle and the Hardys.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Look in your mailbox more often, the invitations have been piling up!

It's also extremely rude not to RSVP, even if you can't go. I always make sure to let Mr Gallagher know when I can't make it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The next match has a fairly important angle stemming from it, doesn't it?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

How is Steamboat's name a double? He wasn't a literal dragon until the WWF, and then he wasn't allowed to be Steamboat.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

...oh... oh dear. We've got WMIV next.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tama actually also has twin kids, but neither are in the business, as far as I can tell.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Well they're like 9 so give it another ~15 years.

Let's be honest, 6 years.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

KungFu Grip posted:

I want you to know that only one of the Demolition were actually old. Smash was barely 30. Ax was 40 though so you're right there. The biggest thing to know was that Demolition were just a poor rip off of LOD and not WWE's last attempt at one.

See: Ascension, The

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

Though the usual visual sign was nodding the head- as in, "Yes I give up".

Tapping was a late 90s thing I think- influenced by MMA.

I believe Shamrock was the guy that introduced it in WWE?

But ya, Rarity, you're gonna need to get used to that for a while if this project continues, cuz a lot of submission finishes and false-finishes are gonna be hella confusing otherwise.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Platypus Farm posted:

This crowd is going bananas! They are literally, Jesse, hanging off the rafters!

Would you say it is something of a happening?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vince, for some reason, has never understood how to do time limit stuff. It's weird because you have stuff like Sting/Flair going broadway and turning the former into a star over in the NWA, and then stuff like this where the crowd has no way of knowing that the finish is coming and helping no-one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Randaconda posted:

Nothing compared to Magnum TA/Tully Blanchard I Quit.

What about Piper/Valentine Dog Collar?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Not in the WWF

Yeah, that was a Bill Watts thing mainly, I think? And I think the AWA was still doing it at this time too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

God Of Paradise posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toOFtj66xoE

Daniel Bryan Time Traveller.

Though, in fairness, it might be Torgo.

i HaVe UnTiL fIvE rEfErEe!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rarity posted:

What the hell? He looks like half Jake's age

Jake lived hard, if you didn't know.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Well, you got to look at the heel's history as a whole. As a fan, if your used to them cheating over and over, you're not going to care that they haven't cheated yet in this one particular match.

So you're saying Heenan and Jesse were right and Hogan was a heel the whole time, then?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

A lot of "face" cheating is just comeuppance for the heel. This is especially true when a heel faces a top guy, because for that to happen back then, it's usually after the heel ran through a bunch of lower card babyfaces, almost certainly while cheating.

Except Hogan's whole shtick was facing monster heels, who rarely cheated. Their heelishness was mostly brutalising their opponents and having Heenan cutting promos.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

So begins the reign of Mr Wrestlemania.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

It is still a thing of beauty that he somehow took TWO bumps from the boot.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

It's OK, J-Ru, you'll always have https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bNr3144GDI

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Does Dave even know what Most Overrated is supposed to mean?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Randaconda posted:

The Observer poll is by reader votes.

I know. My point is I'm not sure even Dave knows what that category means, hence the confusion over who 'should' win it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Yeah, Dusty's gimmick in the WWF is kind of intentionally cartoonish and mid-card-y, in one of Vince's counter-productive attempts to get his 'self-made' stars over at the expense of humiliating his 'competition', despite only being able to do the latter because the 'competition' now work for him.

That the polka-dots are remembered as anything other than an insult is a testament to Dusty's commitment to putting 100% behind it. But even in the NWA, he was never a phenomenal technical grappler.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rarity posted:

^^^ Agreed, although Cody is better than both

I don't care how good a promo you are, if you're a wrestler than at some point you're going to have to step between the ropes and wrestle and when that comes I expect a minimal level of ability in the ring. I don't need to be blown away but you've got to be at least Randy Orton-level. You might have noticed this from my comments on Hulk, Hacksaw and Demolition to name the most obvious ones. And from what I've seen, Dusty hasn't got it.

I think there is a line to be drawn here between knowing what kind of wrestling you like, and what is 'good'. Dusty is, in fact, decent at the style he works. Basically, remember that you thought Savage/Steamboat was 'pretty good', and then remember that was a 5 star classic at the time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Honestly, Dusty is kinda like The Rock (and this is my Hot Take) in that neither were above 'pretty good' in the ring, but their character, charisma and promos were good enough to make up for it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I forget, was Sherri the AWA Women's Champion when Vince hired her? I'm pretty sure she held that title, and it sounds like the kind of thing Vince would do, especially if he had the Wendi Richter thing in mind, so he could get a ready-made lady heel star AND gently caress over Verne at the same time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rarity posted:

Read the thread title

Yeah, the movie/match thing was a PPV.

Wikipedia posted:

No Holds Barred: The Match/The Movie was a professional wrestling event, shown on pay-per-view (PPV) on December 27, 1989 by the World Wrestling Federation (WWF).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

Circumstances were different. Flair was the single biggest wrestler who wasn't in the WWF, and while WCW had Turner behind them now and weren't quite as desperate as they had been, this was still no time to alienate a star like that. Build up other people, sure, but hang on to your assets.

Yeah, there's a difference between phasing Tanahashi or Cena down the card, and firing them so they can be a draw for the competition.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tanahashi? Cut his hair? That would be ridiculous!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hey, you'd at least get a Rocky movie in there, so you'd have some good acting. Not from Hogan, mind you, but Stallone can turn it on when he has to.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

You've never seen Kevin Nash AS Hulk Hogan AS Bass Armstrong in the cinematic masterpiece DOA: Dead Or Alive?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Randaconda posted:

I love everything about that movie. Even the Kevin Smith commentary.

I own something like 3 copies of it, and 2 separate Rifftrax commentaries for it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Randaconda posted:

How are the Rifftrax commentaries?

I won't say it's a good movie, but it's certainly a fun movie.

I haven't listened to the Mike solo one (it was one of the first ones they did, before they bought Rifftrax out from... was it Legendary?) in probably 6 or 7 years, but the trio one they did for the 10th anniversary of the site was very, very good with a lot of gags at Mike's expense for being possible the biggest Road House fan in the world.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

#DELETEJ-RU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Yeah, but WWF Windham and Four Horsemen Windham might as well be different guys.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's weird to think that, until they decided retroactively that his WWE title win counted (they refer to him as a former WWE champion now), the tag team title was the only major belt Andre ever really held in North America.

They also count him as the shortest world title reign ever now, which is an amusingly backhanded compliment. (Apparently him handing over the belt is quicker than Orton beating DBry or Ambrose pinning Rollins)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Let's be honest: Liz and Sherri did a bunch of drugs too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hell, Tully looks stoked too!

«3 »