Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Does Rarity know that George Steele was actually a really nice guy? He was the football and wrestling coach at my moms high school, and recently had the football field named after him. To be fair, my mom was also creeped out by how hairy he was.

Here's the Animal and Safari Gene at the Detroit Zoo. https://youtu.be/2WZjOdKsiOg

Also, I was a huge Rockers fan when I was little. Marty was my guy, so future events worked me hard when I was like six.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

This event was from around when I started watching wrestling. I was three, and I loved the Ultimate Warrior and Demolition. Rockers were neon and flashy, so they were cool too.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Arsenio was always good at selling wrestlers gimmicks with a bit of a wink. Not just wrestlers, he had Jason Voorhees on his show.

His Macho Man interview was pretty great.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

There's a reason Dusty was head of promos at NXT instead of ring work.

Supposedly there's a variant Dusty action figure from the late 80's/early 90's WWF toy line that was the most valuable. Those toys helped cement my love for wrestling as a kid. I'd sit in front of the tv with my ring and wrestlers while watching Saturday Nights Main Event or whatever VHS I talked my parents into renting. Early Survivor Series and Royal Rumbles were my favorite.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I remember a bunch of us in kindergarten doing the Bushwacker walk down the hallways in school. I also remember getting in trouble for making a Texas Tornado joke during an announcement for a tornado drill.

I was really into tag teams as a kid. The Rockers were colorful and flashy, Demolition looked tough, and the Bushwackers were funny. The more technically proficient tag teams were just too bland for a six year old.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

You've at least seen Predator and They Live, right? Probably the only two movies involving wrestlers worth watching until Bautista came around. Running Man and Get Smart were decent enough, but they're not must watch.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Now that Savage is the Macho King, have we talked about the coronation yet? That is one of the best wrestling things.

Sherri was the best. Be interested to see what you think about future events.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Rescuers Down Under wasn't until 1990.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

My friend has a hall of villains action figure collection, and I'm giving him my 1990 Million Dollar Man and Andre the Giant to add to the ranks. While searching for them at my parents place, I found Rick Rude, and thought of Rarity. Five year old me saw him as the top heel against my top face: Jake the Snake Roberts.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

That sounds amazing. How was it?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

He looked Warrior like with his hair and boots.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Rarity posted:

Heenan says that Tornado has his “head in the clouds” so he doesn't have his “feet on the ground”

Think this is a dig?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Bonus points if the cameraman tried to help out.

You know Vince told him to hop around during promos, and he was afraid to stand still at any point

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Did the coronation video get posted yet? It's one of my favorite things from this era.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Rick Rude was my top heel among my wrestling figures from this era. Found him at my parents house the other day along with top face Jake Roberts.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Bad News holding some money is a nice touch.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I can't stress enough how big a deal Slaughter turning heel was to kids. He was the most visible wrestler outside of wrestling besides Hogan. Once he became a character on GI Joe, he was doing live action intros to the episodes. He also had a pretty funny appearance on the Super Mario Bros. Super Show with former wrestler Captain Lou Albano.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

The origin of the scepter, and a Saturday morning cartoon level gathering of villains.

https://youtu.be/ClqhQW_9Cho

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

Oh yeah if I'm not mistaken, right about now is when WWF Wrestlefest (the best wrestling game ever) fits in the timeframe. So find a way to go play as all of your favorites! Uh...one of your favorites. Perfect is in it

Rarity needs to play Wrestlefest to get the full early 90's WWF experience.

More accurately, she needs to eat a piece of pizza as fast as humanly possible before running off with a pocket full of quarters, play Wrestlefest until you get sick of getting your rear end kicked, and then go play Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Just learn from Rovert, and after she posts, be like "I knew about that twenty seven years ago."

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Gavok posted:

Forget Wrestlefest. It's time-appropriate that I can bring up the WWF hockey game! Here's a look at what the game actually looked like:

But here's the kickass Joe Jusko art that came with it. He also did the posters for Royal Rumble 1991 and Wrestlemania 7.

jojo_stardust_crusaders.jpg

I had this. I love the sticks. Jake is literally using his snake.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It is! I probably lost half the pieces because I'd take them off the pegs and make them fight each other.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Aw. I still have mine. You can have it, and rarity can have Rick Rude with side headlock punching action. Keeping my original Undertaker though. That red hair is something else.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Rarity posted:

Also I just have to know...

I just so happen to be at my parents house...

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Nasty Boys had some cool looking shirts, and the Bebop and Rocksteady thing wasn't lost on my TMNT obsessed childhood self.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

OSW points out when Jake reaches inside the mask to adjust it, you can see his fingers through it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Just put on Wrestlemania VII at the bar, and people are loving it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

The Rockers are over, Nasty Boys are gross looking, and everyone is nostalgic about Macho and Warrior.

It's fun watching wrestling with people who don't watch this dumb, fake sport.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

She should also play Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game when appropriate. She doesn't have to experience everything, but there's things, like Wrestlefest, that most fans during the time had some experience with. I'd also put Bret Hart's Simpsons episode on that list.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Rarity posted:

What the gently caress :stare:

This is dumb and bad and doesn't change how poorly it comes across on TV

I don't expect write ups, I just want to make sure you get the full experience. Now that we're firmly in the 90's, I'll be able to contribute more.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I remember him being referred to as Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat. For the longest time, I thought he always had "The Dragon" as part of his name.

However brief this run was, he got a bad rear end action figure out of it. I used to pretend he could fly and breathe fire.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Stopped by my parents house again.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Sid came to my rescue when Warrior let me down. Also, I got to see him and Bret in a cage.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I'm just worried that Shawn won't make it without Marty to carry him :(

I was a Marty kid. Not that he was better than Shawn. He had dark hair like me, and that's how a five year old chooses his favorite in a tag team. Five year olds also like flashy moves and neon green.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Rarity, wanna guess how Marty got that concussion?

https://youtu.be/OWsPehsBFEg

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Sorry about the barber shop thing. Totally forgot it gets covered.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Having him lose to a fever, and a fellow Canadian, sounds like they were really invested in Bret.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Bushwhackers were over with kids. They had a similar appeal as the Ernest movies that were popular at the time.

EDIT: I can actually recall this match from my childhood.The Beverly Bros and the Genius were these Ivy League jerks, and the Bushwhackers were just working class doofuses who were getting picked on for not being the best and brightest. I know Vince was having a laugh at our expense, but I'd still cheer the Bushwhackers over the Beverlys any day.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 15, 2018

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It was tough waiting to talk about Sherri and Shawn. Was wondering if it would be seen as problematic that Shawn pushes her on the ground, and she just stares up at him longingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Rarity posted:

I can see it both ways, to be honest. I like the little BDSM vibe personally but I can see how it wouldn't play so well in the early 90s when public awareness of kink and especially consent in kink weren't so wellknown.

It's pretty obvious that he's supposed to be such a sexy boy that he can push a woman on the ground, but they still love him, and doesn't that make you mad? (Either because you don't approve of the treatment, or because you can't get away with treating women that way)

Reading this thread, it's interesting to see Sherri go from the Macho King's queen, to the Million Dollar Man's valet, to the Heart Break Kid's accessory. She knows how to pick 'em. Three of the best workers ever.