Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

As a kid I really loved Brutus and I have no earthly idea why, beyond something about how cartoonish he was struck a chord. I don't want to go back and rewatch the Outlaw Ron Bass feud because I remember it as a horrifying, devastating and bloody assault by Bass taking the spurs to Brutus' face, and I'm worried if I go back and rewatch it it'll actually be really lame. Also I don't want to ruin the memories of how fantastic Brutus' ultimate revenge and celebration was.

That's what you get for disrespecting Tito Santana

I did too and somehow I completely missed everything he ever did after he left the WWF. So when I later found out he had a long awful career in a variety of awful gimmicks afterward I was pretty amused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I honestly don't think Brutus would get any real hate at all if it weren't for his post WWF career riding the coattails of his Big buddy all the way to the main event of a Starcade. The million gimmicks along the way are just the icing on the cake.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah he was ridiculous, but it worked at the time, he was over. But "Barber" Beefcake was the only gimmick he ever had that got over. Pre-barber heel Brutus was green and that can't be held against him too much, but everything after the Barber gimmick was the shits.

Edit: I won't argue he was ever any good in the ring though.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at Aug 14, 2017 around 15:56

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The Bee's being near interchangeable was part of their gimmick and they actually would use mask's so that they could trade out with each other without having to tag. Why yes, they were babyfaces, why do you ask?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

One of the things that really doesn't always sink in for me when watching WWF from this time period is the fact that most of these people were tip top guys in the promotions they came from, even the job guys sometimes. I watched some Mid South on the network a while back and was completely taken aback when Iron Mike Sharp not only won a match, but won a match clean against someone I remembered being something of an over and pushed guy, albeit at a later date.

The much derided here Ax of Demolition used to be the very over Masked Superstar. I'll admit it though, I like Demolition because I have a taste for good brawlers. and I really liked the 20 man tag team Survivor series matches as they maintained a pace that was pretty much unheard of in WWF at the time.

Final Addendum: Do catch that (Main Event?) show that was being pushed earlier as part of the Megapowers angle, if it is what I am pretty sure it is, it is probably the single most intense angle wrestling has ever seen, and is worth seeing in context.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at Sep 24, 2017 around 12:57

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I can only speak for myself obviously but even as a kid watching this stuff live I'd get confused by some of the blatant cheating the faces would do - particularly Hulk Hogan. Don't want to go into specifics because most of my references are from shows Rarity hasn't gotten to yet - but it would bug me when a face would cheat out of nowhere to beat a heel. Sure the heels were jerks who had done lovely things to them in the build-up, or might have cheated at other times, but it would sometimes culminate in a match where it was just straight up face vs heel with no shenanigans and then the face would cheat or get some kind of advantage to beat the heel and it just felt weird/off.

It's this, and not some bizzaro world disdain for all that is right and good that gets people cheering for heels and booing faces. Rusev for example, has felt more like a face than a heel for years now because of how the faces tend to treat him.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Any match I had that much fun watching will never be a match I call bad.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Alright, we'll start with...

Mr. Fuji took Worst Manager, and Gorilla Monsoon took Worst TV Announcer.

If you didn't actually know the manager's in question, the Worst manager category looks weirdly racist all the way up until the year they retire that one.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

One of the best illustrators of the idea of the past as a foreign country is previous generations strange obsession with hillbillies.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

DukeofCA posted:

I've never understood the psychology of the back rake. I know a lot of 80's and earlier wrestling moves look laughable by today's standards, but how is giving someone a pleasant back scratch supposed to be a dastardly heel tactic?

Coke fueled promos mean at least one dangerously weaponized nail.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Rarity, a while back you asked for some Chigusa, and I want to use that as a belated excuse to post this match between Chigusa and Lioness Asuka's Crush Gals and the Jumping Bomb Angels which may have the single most hyped crowd I have ever seen.

Edit: Actually watch this version, the audio is desynced in the first vid I posted.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2hkpn8

remusclaw fucked around with this message at Jan 8, 2018 around 15:45

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Open Marriage Night posted:

He looked Warrior like with his hair and boots.

And thus was one of the names that came up when Warrior death and replacement conspiracy theory's started going around.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at Jan 25, 2018 around 03:02

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Benne posted:

I don't remember ever seeing a good Sandman match, though admittedly "good wrestling" was beside the point with Sandman

He was weirdly tolerable in the ring during his short WWE run.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

After an online order from an early 2000s importer and little bit of cartridge modification, I got the real best wrestling game ever, No Mercy’s Older brother, Virtual Pro Wrestling 2.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Just didn't seem to be the way things worked at the time. From a fan standpoint, there were a million interesting match ups that just never happened back then. Hard to say whether that is better or worse than it is now where everyone has wrestled each other far too many times for it to have any sort of novelty anymore.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I occasionally wonder what Vince McMahon though about the Iraq war ending as quickly as it did. I mean, the Slaughter program went more than long enough as it is, but I cant help but wonder what the long term was supposed to be.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

The Hart Foundation absolutely ruled, but it is kind of weirdly appropriate to WWF booking that their long run as a team was ended by losing to as lovely a team as the Nasty Boys.

In, if I remember correctly, one of the only two Nasty Boys matches I ever liked.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Shiki Dan posted:

Eh, the Nasty Boys were always sort of in the right place at the right time and in with the right people (Jimmy Hart and Hulk Hogan)to get their success.

They kinda worked at this time in the WWF because they were essentially human versions of Rocksteady and Bebop from TMNT.

Rarity posted:

This is such a great comparison.

Yeah, suddenly I actually like them a little more.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Wrestling is one of the best examples for that whole "never meet your heroes" thing.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Rarity posted:

Gino says that Tenryu is the most popular wrestler in Japan. Oh really, Gino? More popular than Jushin Liger? More popular than Stan Hansen? More popular than the Great Muta?

At this point. he probably is more popular than all of them.

Kitao amounted to nothing really, but he was a disgraced Yokozuna. Tenryu on the other hand is the man and would continue to be so for many years hence. He only retired in 2015 and he was a staple on top of cards wherever he went. This was a really weird little cameo to me as well and I still don't understand them not giving the Warriors the squash.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at Mar 30, 2018 around 21:34

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Feuds almost never seemed to end on PPV. Blow offs were mainly a house show thing until what, the mid 90's?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Not wanting to give specifics but 1991 is a weird combination of the WWF simultaneously going more cartoony and more edgy.

1991, the year they went anime.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Jason Sextro posted:

It's amazing how really none of Hogan's mannerisms were actually babyface. Maybe that's why I was so big on Hollywood Hogan, because the man is a fantastic natural heel.

Hogan embodied 80s America in a way that few could. 80s America was a fantastic natural heel.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Davros1 posted:

He's also a former WWF Tag Team champion (as Billy White Wolf)

Sheik would break Scott Steiner

Davros1 posted:

People tend to forget just how good The Iron Sheik was

https://twitter.com/DeanRasslin/sta...340032085843969

I'ma quote you at yourself in order to possibly make a case that Sheik and Scott are same person. I mean, have you ever seen them in the same room together?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Amateur backgrounds, Master of Suplexes, roid bodies, Camel Clutches, headresses, crazy facial hair, nonsensical rantings.

Holy poo poo, I think you're on to something

My theory currently involves alternate universes and time travel resulting in a Superman Red Son style thing going on. I don't know which came from the alternate universe though. The time travel is somewhat tragic as well as it resulted in us losing all chance of the worlds greatest never to be tag team, "The Sheik and Peak* Connection"

*Freak?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Honkeytonk Man kind of is an early example of this. Is he the first?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I fee like Rarity is missing out a bit on Jake as he seems to have, outside of very few instances, most of his interesting character beats and matches off PPV.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

In a way, it's smart booking. You get to send everyone home happy, and you can still get the booking results you want in order to drive the story forward. Would it work nowadays?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, if you think Ric lost it before about 2005, you're basically saying all you care about is highspots and Jeff Hardy falling off something tall. And bear in mind, people were saying he was over the hill in like 1988, right before he had what was basically his best year EVER in-ring with the feuds with Steamboat and Funk.

I like Flair in the mid 2000s for what he is, but by that point he had really started to rely much more on his "Dirtiest Player in the Game" shtick and if you weren't already on board with Flair I can see not appreciating it as much.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Rarity posted:

Wow, ok, I owe Ric Flair a massive apology. For the entire time I've been watching I've seen match after match where he goes to the top rope and it never works out for him and he always gets caught and thrown off. For two decades now I've considered Flair to be an absolute moron for his continued attempts to follow a strategy that never once worked out for him. But no, I've been wrong this whole time! Flair's not a moron, he's just always living in the hopes of recapturing this one shining moment where he went to the top rope and it all worked out ok. Never stop dreaming, buddy.

Flair took the NWA title off of Harley Race at the first Starrcade with a flying cross-body. That is the shining moment of glory he chases every time he goes to the top.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

KungFu Grip posted:

Beau and Blake Beverly were apparently dicks that took advantage of their jobber opponents and dropping them on their heads.

I'm not sure whether that is better than the alternative, that they were just really sloppy in the ring, and regularly murdered guys accidentally.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I played the hell out of the LJN SNES games as a kid and most of my enjoyment came from the grunts the wrestlers made after each punch, the extremely satisfying weapon shots, a chair only in this and the first sequel, but adding a bucket in the third game, and the strange way in which wrestlers would collide with each other, turnbuckles, and the ropes when running or being thrown. Otherwise, I almost felt angry when I started playing the Fire Pro games on the SNES after figuring out emulation because of what was possible at the time and what we actually got.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Hockles posted:

I guess you don't really consider Rage in the Cage a sequel, but it kind of is.

I did not have a Sega CD. Was it any different from RAW aside from the roster, cage, and the likely introduction of long load times?

Oh apparently it's pre-RAW. eugh.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at Jun 24, 2018 around 01:48

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

For a dude who was a perennial midcarder, Bulldog always had inexplicable kayfabe skill at Rumbles

As a kid I always thought Bulldog was one match away from being the guy.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I disagree, the Undertaker just put him 6 feet down, and he just doesn't know he's dead yet.

Things are turning around, Hulkamania is too dead, keep on trucking, give more time to this strange unnameable force cause this thread is made of gold.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Gavok posted:

One addition to the rules that I'm not sure they mentioned during the show is that since this whole situation came out of Hogan and Undertaker screwing each other out of the title, the two of them got the advantage of drawing from 20-30. A nice kayfabe explanation for why they were both in so late in the match.

And yeah, Berzerker's deal was that not only would he destroy jobbers, but instead of pinning them, he'd just throw them out of the ring and let the ref count them out.

I always felt that there was a place for a guy who would just basically use the count out to get KO wins, but it never really seemed to work, or really ever be part of a serious gimmick.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It would probably fit more where that rule is not in place, but even then it would likely feel a cop out if a belt where to change hands in that manner.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The Sherri version of sexy boy is my favorite version.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah, to me Jake was all presence and finish, and that was more than enough for me back in the day. Hell taker was too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

As a kid, I felt like Hogan was a superhero, but that Undertaker was literally unstoppable. Like, I would worry about Hogan, I knew he could lose, but he almost never did, Undertaker was invincible.

«2 »