Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

How dare you insult Mr. Wonderful Paul Orndorff, a man who rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Fun Fact 1: The WM2 battle royal was the first ever battle royal I saw, and thought it was the greatest thing ever.

Fun Fact 2: For years I remembered the final three being Andre, The Anvil, and some guy. Imagine my surprise when I was reminded who the third guy was.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Brutus Beefcake got kicked out of Toronto City Hall for offering the mayor sandwiches to solve his cocaine problem.

It is impossible to not love him.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

titties posted:

The Islander you don't recognize is WWE hall-of-famer Rikishi

Not quite, Tama is Rikishi's twin.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Tama actually also has twin kids, but neither are in the business, as far as I can tell.

Well they're like 9 so give it another ~15 years.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I'm not a fan of the One Man Gang.

Now Akeem The African Dream, there's a talented big man.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Rarity I love ya but anybody who thinks there isn't a crossover between pro wrestling fans and actual fighting is very silly.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Rarity posted:

I mean, pro wrestling is soap opera crossed with gymnastics. And I don't say that to denigrate pro wrestling because that's a loving great combination. The point is fans watch pro wrestling for the characters and the storylines and the flashy moves. No one watches wrestling to debate the merits of Roman Reigns's left hook.

Fans watch pro wrestling to see the best do what they are the best at, and to see their side beat the side they dislike. Sports works the same way.

Alternately I bet there are more posts in the average Raw GDT whining about the strikes of members of the Shield than there are comments about how much they like the storylines.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Shiki Dan posted:

Boxing/Wresting crossovers have nonetheless been one of those ideas that work much better on paper than in practice.

Yes, there is a crossover, but for the most part boxing fans turn down their noses at "fake stuff", and wrestling fans find actual fighting to be "boring".

The only times in Wrestling that boxing has managed to crossover over successfully are like...Ali/Inoki (still scripted, and only happened b/c both men were friends and Ali desperately needed the $$$), Tyson/Austin (again, scripted, and focused more on Tyson as a character rather than a boxer), and Big Show/Mayweather (also a work, but better than it had any right to be, although WWE couldn't foresee Mayweather as a heel during the buildup).

That WWE tried to make Mayweather the babyface shows that the reason real sports/wrestling crossovers tend to not work out in wrestling is because people who promote wrestling are morons.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Hacksaw Jim Duggan: Smarter than Rarity

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Well he did attend college.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

He went to college, he's a very educated man. :mad:

COLLEGE? HAHAHA

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Kids are, as usual, right, while adults are extremely wrong.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Rarity, for the sake of fun, I found the Observer award voting starting in 1980. Would you mind if I post some of them that are relevant to your watchthrough (after you finish a year, of course) to compare your view on things to people like us of yesteryear?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Rarity posted:

Oh yes please do, I'd be very interested to see these.

Alright, we'll start with...

The year of Wrestlemania I and The Wrestling Classic, and the start of this project.

Wrestler of the Year went to, of course, Ric Flair, because it's the Observer. Proving that love of Japan wrestlemans is not a new thing, Japan Pro Wrestling 's Riki Choshu finished 2nd. WWF's Roddy Piper took 3rd, and Hulk Hogan took 4th.

THING RARITY SAID (I can't quote because Archives, but trust me it was said involving the Wrestlemania I main event)

"Now it's time for the bad guys and in a fantastic heel move Piper and Orndorff are led out by a legion of bagpipe players cause seriously, there is nothing in this world that's easier to hate than bagpipes.

In a world of bland, interchangeable, generic create-a-wrestlers Hogan was the only face who was made an effort to connect with the crowd, the only one who showed the slightest modicum of personality."

Rarity will be shocked to learn that the Best Heel and Best Babyface awards went to Roddy Piper and Hulk Hogan, respectively. Piper won his category more decisively, but Hogan had more first place votes. Nobody else Rarity saw in 1985 finished anywhere close to the top. The Hogan/Piper feud finished a distant 4th in Best Feud, behind the winner, Jim Duggan vs. Ted DiBiase.

Tag Team of the Year went to The British Bulldogs, which will probably bring a smile to Rarity's face.

WWF was shut out of the Most Improved award, but they did win Most Impressive thanks to Dynamite Kid.

Most Washed Up is kind of a mean category, and WWF took 2nd and 5th with Adrian Adonis and The Junkyard Dog.

Most Obnoxious Personality is where WWF really took home the gold though. Specifically the gold, silver, and bronze. Taking the bronze was Mean Gene Okerlund, taking the silver was Gorilla Monsoon (who did have the most first place votes), and the gold medal goes to who else but Vince McMahon Jr. himself! Congrats Vince!

Vince Wrestlemania Era Wrestling Observer Award Victories: 1

Roddy Piper would take 3rd for Best Interviews, an award won by Jimmy Cornette.

Dynamite Kid finished 2nd in Best Technical Wrestler, a list dominated by Japanese wrestlers and Ted DiBiase. Dynamite Kid would also finish 2nd in Most Agile Wrestler. WWF would be shut out of Best Brawler.

Most Charismatic went to Hulk Hogan by a strong margin, unsurprisingly.

Davey Boy Smith would finish 4th in Strongest Wrestler which is a category I cannot believe exists.

Most Overrated went to Hulk Hogan in a landslide, which goes to show that not even in 1985 did anybody have any clue what the award was for. How do you win Best Babyface, Most Charismatic, AND Most Overrated, all by massive margins?

WWF finished nowhere near the top in Most Underrated, Best Circuit (which is probably 'Best Company' in modern days), or Best TV show.

Dynamite Kid picked up yet another silver, finishing 2nd in Best Wrestling Maneuver with his Super Superplex.

WWF had nobody on the Rookie of the Year, but some kid named "Sean Michaels" finished 3rd.

WWF took 1st and 2nd in Shock of the Year, with them getting on Network TV winning the gold, and the hype of Wrestlemania finishing 2nd. Who says Wrestlemania is more important than random Raws? :v:

Mr. T wrestling finished 2nd in Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic, finishing second to using Mike von Erich's near death to sell tickets. This will not be the last time I post about Von Erichs and tragedy. Welp. :smith:

Jesse Ventura took 2nd in Best Announcer, behind Lance Russell, and Bobby Heenan finished an extremely distant 2nd to Jimmy Cornette in Best Manager.

Hulk Hogan ran away with Reader's Most Hated Wrestler, and Uncle Elmer took first in Worst Wrestler, and he was also one half of the Worst Tag Team, The Hillbillies. So while Rarity didn't get to see tag action from the best team of 1985, it came in exchange for not having to see the worst tag team.

Mr. Fuji took Worst Manager, and Gorilla Monsoon took Worst TV Announcer.

WWF also took the final award, Worst Match of the Year for what was apparently a Steel Cage match between Lou Albano and Freddie Blassie. That sounds incredible, and I refuse to acknowledge the Observer readers as intelligent for voting in such a shameful way.

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 3, 2017

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

frankenfreak posted:

That would be their feud in Mid-South, right?

Yep. Hard to believe it, but there was a time when Jim Duggan was very well loved by Observer readers.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Randaconda posted:

You can't judge wrestling from a different era by the standards of today

you're gonna eat these words

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Rarity posted:

That... was a lot simpler an explaination than I expected

Believe it or not, there was a time when the explanation for most things in wrestling was 'They beat the other guy up'.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Platypus Farm posted:

My four year old refers to him as "big ear fox" since he's that fennick fox in zootopia. She was, frankly, a bit surprised when I showed her fennick's voice actor.

If she becomes a wrestling fan, you need to tell her that Big Ear Fox once wrestled Hulk Hogan.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Platypus Farm posted:

She's a Bruti fan.

She likes his tights and how his hair looks like hers does when she wakes up in the morning.

Brutus Beefcake did have really good tights.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The Genius left WWF and got paid a lot of money to sit at home with his family.

Damien Sandow left WWF and got paid little money to wrestle as a midcarder in TNA and kill off any good will fans ever had towards him.

Rarity: Clearly Damien Sandow is the smart one.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Now that the PPV is in the books, time to pull out my Observer awards

1986 Wrestling Observer Newsletter Awards

Rarity only got to see Wrestlemania 2 this year, but things will be picking up soon.

Ric Flair took Wrestler of the Year (Hogan finished a distant 2nd) and a new category, Most Outstanding Wrestler (WWF was shut out).

For the second year in a row, The Hulkster took Best Babyface.

Best Heel went to Michael Hayes. WWF's Paul Orndorff took 5th.

Feud of the Year did go to WWF, but in a feud Rarity never even got to see, Hulk Hogan vs. Paul Orndorff. WWF also got 4th with Jakes Roberts vs. Ricky Steamboat.

The British Bulldogs fell to 5th in 1986's Tag Team of the Year award.

WWF was shut out of Most Improved, but a guy named Shawn Michaels got 5th. I wonder if he's related to last year's rookie standout Sean Michaels? I bet they'd make a decent tag team.

WWF took most of Most Unimproved, with Bob Orton getting first, Paul Orndorff getting 3rd (how do you have the feud of the year, be one of the best heels in the business, AND be unimproved?), Roddy Piper getting 4th, and Dynamite Kid getting 5th.

Most Obnoxious was a strong, strong category for WWF too, with Vince McMahon taking the category yet again, with Gorilla finishing runner up.

Vince McMahon Wrestling Observer Awards: 2

Piper was the only rep on Best on Interviews, finishing 4th.

Most Charismatic was a landslide victory for Hulk Hogan, as expected.

WWF was shut out of Best Technical Wrestler, Best Brawler, and Best Flying Wrestler.

Never let anyone tell you Observer voters care in the slightest about charisma and being over and any of that worthless garbage, as Hulk Hogan won Most Overrated. Also don't let anyone tell you Observer voters think being in the best feud in the world means anything, as Paul Orndorff finished 3rd. Sounds more like non-WWF fans being mad as hell that their wrestling isn't as good at being enjoyable for casual fans as WWF's. Wait, that's still the case today. JYD finished 5th.

Most Underrated has only one notable entry, Bret Hart, finishing 2nd.

WWF (or rather, Titan Sports) finished 5th in Best Promotion. Congrats Rarity, you're watching the 5th best promotion of 1986! :toot: Their TV got shut out of Best TV Show though.

WWF got almost completely shut out of Match of the Year, but at the very, very bottom of the voting, the British Bulldogs vs. Greg Valentine and Brutus Beefcake got some votes. So we can officially say that Brutus Beefcake, at one point, had the best match in a year of WWF programming.

Rookie of the Year had a runaway winner, Bam Bam Bigelow.

Bobby Heenan was a distant 2nd for Manager of the Year, behind ol' Jimmy Cornette.

WWF got shut out of Best Television Announcer, but on the bright side Gorilla only finished 3rd in Worst Television Announcer, thanks to the efforts of winner David Crockett and 2nd place Bill Mercer, who only had :siren: ONE POINT :siren: determining the champion. Every vote counts.

Last year's winner of Best Wrestling Move, Dynamite Kid's superplex, finished 3rd, Jake Roberts' DDT finished 2nd, both behind Chavo Guerrero (Sr.)'s "backflip flying body press", which I'm 95% sure is nowadays known as a moonsault. Now I want a wrestler whose gimmick is 'does Observer Award Winning Moves From the 80s'. I love all of these moves.

For Hardest Worker Bret got a very, very, very distant 3rd.

Biggest Shock of the Year is a very sad category this year. 3rd place is Harley Race going to WWF, which is only sad because oh boy Harley got old. 2nd place was the death of Gino Hernandez, who officially passed away of a cocaine overdose. A lot of people then and now suspect foul play was involved, though. First place was the Magnum T.A.'s accident. Magnum was supposed to be the future of the NWA, likely winning the NWA Title relatively soon, before he was in a car accident that left him partially paralyzed at the time of this voting.

On that happy note, let's move on to Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic. Adrian Adonis' gimmick got third place, with the winner of the category being a wrestler's gimmick blindness being equated to the above Gino Hernandez's death (World Class Championship Wrestling). Wrestling is lovely. Fourth place was Starcade being hyped up by implying that Magnum T.A. would still be wrestling (Jim Crockett Promotions). In hindsight, maybe the good guy did win all the wrestling wars. This category is only going to get worse.

Jesse Ventura took 2nd in Best TV Color Commentator, behind Michael Hayes.

Strongest Wrestler went to Road Warrior Animal. Dr. Death needs to work out, he only got second.

Roddy Piper took a distant third in Readers' Favorite Wrestler. Notable is Road Warrior Hawk got 13 votes, but none for Animal. I'm not sure why I find it notable, I just do.

Hulk Hogan of course won Least Favorite Wrestler. Buncha haters. JYD got third.

Andre finished 2nd in Worst Wrestler, behind Mike Von Erich. Yes, the same Mike Von Erich whose near death the year prior was the catalyst for the winner of Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic. He lost a ton of his physical ability from his near death, and it showed, if I recall correctly.

Worst Tag Team of the Year was yet again dodged by Rarity, WWF's Junkyard Dog and George The Animal Steele.

WWF was nowhere to be found on Worst Television Show.

Mr. Fuji finished a mere 3rd in Worst Manager.

Now, this seems like the best time to do a short round of...

THING RARITY SAID

Rarity posted:

And that is Wrestlemania II done and dusted and oh my god, it was so bad.

WORST MATCH OF THE YEAR. Third place was Don Muraco vs. Paul Orndorff from Wrestlemania 2. Second place was Hulk Hogan vs. King Kong Bundy from Wrestlemania 2. First place was...Roddy Piper vs. Mr. T from Wrestlemania 2!

Worst Feud of the Year went to WWF's Machines vs. King Kong Bundy and Big John Studd. Who were the Machines? They were Andre The Giant, Bill Eadie (the future Ax), and Blackjack Mulligan (Bray Wyatt and Bo Dallas's grandpa) all under masks so you couldn't tell who they were. Sometimes they were joined by Hulk Machine (Hulk Hogan), Animal Machine (George Steele), or Piper Machine. Also under masks. This all sounds incredibly stupid and I love it.

WWF for once got shut out of a bad category, Worst on Interviews and a good category, Best Valet.

Proving that wrestling fans have no taste, MISS FREAKING ELIZABETH tied for the title of Worst Valet.

WWF finished 4th in Worst Promotion.

WWF finished shut out of Best Booker.

Jake "The Snake" picked up another second place, finishing closely behind Adrian Street in Best Gimmick.

Adrian Adonis (who did a similar gimmick to Street but much, much grosser) won Worst Gimmick George Steele finished 3rd, and THE DANG HONKY TONK MAN got 2nd.

Steele also picked up another third place in Most Embarassing Wrestler. Second place was Mike Von Erich, first place went to Mr. Adrian Adonis.

There's 1986's awards in the book. 1987 will probably come after 1990 is done. Staying ~3 years behind seems like a good pace.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

frankenfreak posted:

I'm really curious who's ahead of them. Crockett Promotions, of course, but behind that? Are people already watching New Japan and All Japan enough to make them matter in these awards? Who else rounds out these top 5? AWA? World Class? CWF?

Bill Watts' UWF, New Japan, Crockett, All Japan

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Can you post the Observer awards for every year up to where Rarity is? Those are really interesting to see where wrestling fans were back than!

I'm thinking I'll completely catch up to Rarity once we hit monthly PPVs.

It's entirely possible I go "Ok I feel like writing up an Observer awards post" at some point between shows though.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

DukeofCA posted:

I've never understood the psychology of the back rake. I know a lot of 80's and earlier wrestling moves look laughable by today's standards, but how is giving someone a pleasant back scratch supposed to be a dastardly heel tactic?

If you actually do a back rake like AJ Styles has, you claw open their back.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The man called M posted:

What was this blindness thing that was mentioned in the Observer?

Chris Adams was 'blinded' by hair cream thrown into his eyes by Gino Hernandez to write him off TV so he could tour Japan and spend time with family in England. While Adams was 'out', Gino Hernandez died. I think World Class kept running the Adams blinding as though it was legit.

I guess the closest modern equivalent would be if WWE hadn't killed the Vince death angle when Benoit happened, albeit that would have been more, more worse.

If I'm wrong someone correct me.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Southern accents remind me of my grandpa, so I love Tony's (and JR's) voice for my wrestlemans.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Rarity posted:

Right now my annoyance with Earthquake has nothing to do with Earthquake specifically. It's about the archetype of wrestler that he represents which I am so, so done with.

"Legitimate athletes have no place in wrestling" - Rarity

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

I feel okay posting this promo hyping the next match between these four since it isn't going to appear on any PPVs, yet it should *really* be seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svjs-W60voU

I'm not sure if I can call this the best wrestling promo, but it represents everything I love about it.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Rarity posted:

Wait seriously, Sherri's dead?

Dammit that sucks :(

Sherri's death came right before a much, much more uh...well-known WWE death.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

If we really want to be depressed, we could do a show-by-show death counter.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Oh sure, when WWE pushes people in their late-30s to the top, they're idiots who aren't thinking about the future, but Jim Herd tries to get rid of some 42 year old and he's a horrible rear end in a top hat.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Randaconda posted:

Ric Flair was still the top draw in the company.

People have been complaining about WWE needing to think about the future instead of pushing Cena since he was 35.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

#CancelJRuNetwork

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think this was one of the first submission matches on a major WWF card ever, so I always assumed the pinfalls were just to really rub it home to the folks in the back that "HEY PINFALLS DON'T COUNT IN THIS MATCH!!!! GET IT????"

As a kid I always figured a lot of wrestling boiled down to instincts, so of course you're instinctively going to go for a pinfall. It's probably been trained in these guys' heads for years that when someone is down, go for that pin!

After all, according to the Living Legend on that WCW show I watched, a rookie mistake was not going for pins immediately.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

This is also how I explained the logic behind top rope moves to downed opponents. Guys stay down when hurt a little to get some rest rather than wasting energy moving their limbs at all, but kick out at 2 all the time no matter how hurt they are because with the ref's count their instincts kick in. Top rope moves take advantage of that instinct by letting guys think they're fine to rest, only to get hit by a vicious move that finishes them off.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

That is WWE Hall of Famer Koko B. Ware thank you VERY MUCH

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Rarity will it put you in a better mood if I do an Observer post? :unsmith:

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

1987 Wrestling Observer Newsletter Awards

1987 brought us Wrestlemania III and the first ever Survivor Series, two fine shows that combined for over TEN KANES between them, and plenty of new faces for Rarity.

1987 was a historic year both inside WWF and out.

In fact, it's starting off hot, with

THING RARITY SAID

Now, what could Rarity have said that is relevant to the Wrestler of the Year award?

Rarity posted:

Sensational Sherri, the Glamour Girls, Dawn Marie (no, not that one) and Donna Christianello vs. The Fabulous Moolah, Velvet McIntyre, Rockin' Robin and the Jumping Bomb Angels

This match was the loving bomb. I came into it expecting absolutely nothing and it's ended up being my favourite match I've seen so far. I love flippy-dos in my wrestling and both the JBAs and Velvet brought a whole lotta flippy-dos. Not only that, in 1987 the WWF put on a women's wrestling match that went a good twenty minutes, pushed their best talents over their supposed biggest names and included a few spots that were inventive and completely different to anything going on anywhere else in the product. I love seeing great women's wrestling in the current product and there's been some fantastic matches in the last couple of years in WWE. It's not like I'd put this up there with Asuka/Ember Moon or Bayley/Sasha in NXT but it was still drat good.

So here's what comes up for me. Where did this all go wrong? How did we go from a match like this to Sable showing off her tits in 1998 and Kelly Kelly putting on two-minute pissbreak title defences in 2008? It kind of amazes me that while society as a whole became more progressive in its attitude towards women that the WWF regressed the other way. I don't know when they stopped caring about their women's division and I don't want to be spoiled but it feels to me like there was an opportunity here to expand their product and they chose not to take it. I can't believe it's only now, 30 years later, that they've managed to course correct.

Soapbox moment over. Next match, please!

The winner, of course, was Ric FlairAll Japan Pro Wrestling's Riki Choshu. WWF's Hulk Hogan and Ted Dibiase got third and fourth.

What is relevant here to the thing Rarity said?

Chigusa Nagayo of All Japan Women's Pro Wrestling finished 5th, marking the first time a woman has finished in the top 5 of Wrestler of the Year.

Ric Flair won Most Outstanding Wrestler. Ms. Nagayo finished 4th, but it should be noted that she got the second-most first place votes.

Hulk Hogan won Best Babyface, with Ms. Nagayo finishing a distant 2nd, just ahead of third place Randy Savage.

Ted Dibiase won Best Heel. Dump Matsumoto continued the strong performance by All Japan Women's, finishing 3rd.

Feud of the Year went to Jerry Lawler vs. Tommy Rich and Austin Idol, with Steamboat/Savage taking second, and Hogan/Andre taking 4th.

Tag Team of the Year went to one form of the Midnight Express, Stan Lane and Bobby Eaton. WWF was kept out of the top 5, but finishing 6th was Rarity favorite The Jumping Bomb Angels.

Most Improved went to Big Bubba Rogers (the future Big Boss Man). It's a list of future stars, as Sting finished 2nd, Curt Hennig finished 3rd, and Lex Luger finished 4th.

Most Unimproved went to Butch Reed, with former beloved brawler Jim Duggan taking 3rd.

Vince McMahon needs to step up his game, as he finished 3rd in Most Obnoxious, behind winner David Crockett, and noted bad wrestler Dusty Rhodes.

Jim Cornette's still loved, winning Best On Interviews, with WWF being shut out.

Most Charismatic once again went to Hulk Hogan. Chigusa Nagayo finished 4th, ahead of Ric Flair.

Best Technical Wrestler went to Akira Maeda's UWF's Nobuhiko Takada. It's a list dominated by Japanese wrestlers, although Owen Hart finished 2nd.

Bruiser Brody won Best Brawler, with WWF's Ted Dibiase sneaking onto the list in 5th.

Owen Hart won Best Flying Wrestler, with WWF being shut out.

Hulk Hogan had the most first place votes for Most Overrated, but alas, he has been felled by the winner, Dusty Rhodes.

Most Underrated went to Brad Armstrong, with WWF's Bret Hart finishing 3rd.

WWF (as Titan Sports) finished 2nd in Best Promotion, behind New Japan Pro Wrestling, and ahead of 3rd place All Japan Women's Pro Wrestling. Jim Crockettt Promotions and Jarrett Promotions finished up the top 5.

WWF Superstars finished third in Best TV Show, a solid distance behind winner WMC-TV From Memphis and close second place New Japan.

WWF has done it, winning Match of the Year behind the power of Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat at Wrestlemania III. Chigusa Nagayo finds herself on this list too, finishing 3rd for a bout on February 26th against Lioness Asuka in Kawasaki. This match finished 3rd overall, but it managed the 2nd most first place votes.

Rookie of the Year went to Brian Pillman.

Jim Cornette once again took home Manager of the Year, with Bobby Heenan taking 3rd.

WWF got shut out of Best Television Announcer, which was won by Lance Russell.

Shockingly, WWF did poorly in Worst Television Announcer. Gorilla Monsoon finished only 3rd, and Vince McMahon finished 5th. The winner was Most Obnoxious winner David Crockett.

Best Wrestling Move went to a man named Keiichi Yamada and his Shooting Star Press. Jake Roberts' DDT finished 4th.

Ric Flair took Hardest Worker.

Time for my least favorite categories to talk about, starting with Shock of the Year. Winning it was Crockett purchasing Bill Watts' UWF. That's going to go poorly, but that's not terrible to talk about. Second, however, is much more tragic. After nearly dying in 1985, and returning to wrestling despite being in no shape to do so in 1986, 1987 had Mike Von Erich committing suicide via a combination of alcohol and sleeping medication. Honky Tonk Man winning the Intercontinental Championship was 3rd, the NWA's descent finished 4th, and Ronnie Garvin winning the NWA Title finished 5th.

Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic's winner can be predicted if you've been paying attention. Yes, World Class Championship Wrestling used Mike Von Erich's death to push tickets for a memorial show with put a poem for Mike under a scaffold on the undercard of a show main evented with a women's mud wrestling match. A Ric Flair promo on a mannequin (I think of Precious) where he said Ric Flair things finished 2nd. An angle in Deep South where Carl Styles' glass eye was apparently knocked out finished 3rd. Not content to get first, Von Erichs in general finished 4th, which included things like Kerry returning too soon from injury and pushing an anti-drug message. The Von Erich family also finished 5th, as apparently there was an angle where Kevin Von Erich developed a move called the Oriental Tool.

Jesse Ventura took home Best Color Commentator.

Dr. Death Steve Williams reclaimed his Strongest Wrestler title. This has to be the most worthless award ever.

Ric Flair won Readers' Favorite Wrestler, with Randy Savage finishing 5th.

Dusty Rhodes won Readers Least Favorite Wrestler, just ahead of Hulk Hogan, with Honky Tonk Man taking 4th.

Also notable is that Wrestler of the Year Riki Choshu finished 4th in Readers' Favorite Wrestler, and 3rd in Readers' Least Favorite Wrestler. I guess a lot of tape traders must have gotten mad at being offered Japanese wrestling?

Junkyard Dog took home Worst Wrestler, with Andre taking second.

Worst Tag Team went to Jimmy Valiant and Buggsy McGraw. I think WWF is shut out here.

World Class took Worst TV Show, which doesn't surprise me. I can only imagine how hard they pushed Mike Von Erich's death.

Mr. Fuji took home Worst Manager. Good for him.

Worst Match of the Year is, once again, WWF heavy. Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant won the award, with Bundy/Tokyo/Littlebrook vs. Hillbilly Jim/Haiti Kid/Beaver taking 5th from Wrestlemania III. A midcard feud in WWF in the non-PPV time, Danny Davis vs. George Steele, took 3rd.

Said Danny Davis vs. George Steele feud won Worst Feud of the Year. A Butch Reed/Billy Graham feud took 2nd.

Worst on Interviews went to Buggsy McGraw, with no WWF in sight.

Worst Promotion went to World Class, with yet again no WWF in sight.

Best Booker went to the team behind WWF, Pat Patterson and Vince McMahon. Congrats Vince!

Vince McMahon Wrestling Observer Awards: 3

Best Gimmick went to The Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiase. BAHAHA! Honky Tonk Man took 2nd, and Hulk Hogan's....being Hulk Hogan(?) took 4th.

Worst Gimmick went to a Rarity favorite, Adrian Adonis. WWF's Outback Jack finished 2nd. Mighty Wilbur (which I'm only putting here for goons following Bryan and Vinny's NWA reviews) finished 3rd. George Steele finished 4th, and Brutus Beefcake's barber gimmick finished 5th.

Most Embarassing Wrestler is another Rarity-approved category. George Steele won. Adrian Adonis was 2nd. Also of note is Dusty Rhodes was 4th. Oh lordy if people thought Dusty was embarassing before going to WWF, I wonder how much they lost their minds after seeing some polka dots.

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Takuan posted:

I know it's a minor detail, but I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be Akira Maeda's UWF, a short-lived Japanese company founded in 1984 by a bunch of guys that thought early-80s New Japan was too flashy and unrealistic.

There are too many dang UWFs.