Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skinty McEdger posted:

"Killlll yoooourseeeelllllf"

One of the top ten moments in wrestling history. It's clear as day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jason Sextro posted:

This is beyond the scope of this thread but Rick Rude hit his peak post-WWF, I always thought his WCW work was top-notch

Rude had some really good matches in WCW. His stuff with Sting was great. (but I'm a fan of Sting, so I might be biased)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rarity posted:

I looked that up while researching the Islanders, it's ridiculous how many of those guys ended up getting big chances in WWE.

Demolition are absolute wank, I'm fairly certain my mind won't be changed on this one.

Demolition was a much, much shittier Road Warriors.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Butch Reed was another guy who really good in Mid-South who went to New York and they had no idea what to with him.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also, I like the One Man Gang.

Fight me irl. :colbert:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rarity posted:

It's ok, I'm calling an ambulance. How long have you had this affliction? :ohdear:

Since I was five or six.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rarity posted:

Oh.

Oh no.

It's a sickness. :smith:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I'm not a fan of the One Man Gang.

Now Akeem The African Dream, there's a talented big man.

Akeem was amazing.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I grew up in Florida, so I was mostly an NWA kid, and in my tiny mind, Flair was the real world's champion, since even then I recognized Flair was much better in the ring.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sean10mm posted:

Matilda was a textbook chill bulldog that didn't give a gently caress about anything but dinner and belly rubs, and heels acting like she was a werewolf was always delightful.

:britain:

Davey Boy also supposedly shot her up with steroids.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rarity posted:

They've got zero excuse for being gassed. According to Wikipedia up to that point Savage had wrestled for 15 mins 18 secs and DiBiase had wrestled for just 10 mins 38 secs. By no means have they been putting on marathons and they've had massive rest periods as well. That's loving shameful.

Well, you have to account for the truly insane amounts of cocaine backstage during that era.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DeathChicken posted:

The Bulldogs and the Rougeaus genuinely hated each other (like of the 'Backstage one of them punched the other in the face with a roll of nickels' hate), so there was that too

Yeah, Jacques, I believe, suckered Dynamite after months of bullying. Dynamite wasn't liked by many people, so pretty much nothing happened to Jacques.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jesse was amazing.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platypus Farm posted:

Except for George "The Animal" Steele who I will never forgive rarity for being mean to :(

Steele's shoot was great.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's an even better entrance theme for Jacques in a few years.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerusalem posted:

Ron Bass taking the spurs to Brutus Beefcake was one of the most horrifying things I saw in wrestling as a kid.

Nothing compared to Magnum TA/Tully Blanchard I Quit.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gaz-L posted:

What about Piper/Valentine Dog Collar?

Another great match.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, I love the Honky Tonk Man

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beeswax posted:

Same. Emphatically. Real shame he's an rear end in a top hat in real life.

In the pro wrasslin' world, where the rear end in a top hat bar is set way higher, he's fine.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
From what I remember, so this may be wrong, Honky was over enough as a heel to be the headliners on the B-shows while they were on tour. (B-shows referring to the shows without Hogan, of course)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

C. Everett Koop posted:

Hogan's run was him vs. enormous guys who looked like they could threaten him (such as Andre, Bundy, Gang, Bossman) or the evil sneaky foreigner (Sheik, Slaughter, Yoko) so they could get as jingoistic as humanly possible.

But wrestling has always loved size, it's why Andre was such an attraction across the world. Vince wasn't an exception to this rule but when your main attraction is 6'8" and the size of a two-car garage you've got to bring in some really big motherfuckers to make him a feasible underdog. Big, coordinated guys are generally the exception, not the rule. For every Bam Bam and Vader there's a bunch of plodding motherfuckers who are lucky to walk without breaking everything in a 500ft radius, including/especially themselves.

well, 6'8" was his billed height, he wasn't nowhere close to that in real life, just like Andre wasn't 7'4"

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't hate OMG. :unsmith: I saw him live in Jacksonville as a very small child, and he returned my wave, even though he was working heel, from what I remember.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DeathChicken posted:

Andre was roughly as tall as Wilt Chamberlain (given pictures of them floating around), so he was probably about 7'1. Still ridiculous

Meltzer says Andre was probably legit about 6'10" or 6'11"

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RC and Moon Pie posted:

They worked together a ton in Mid-Atlantic as tag partners and in a feud.

The Valentine-Roddy Piper dog collar match from Starrcade 1983 is a nice piece of brutality.

The dog collar match is great.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also, Arn had the best Wrestlemania cameo of all time

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Demolition was a good tag team, wtf. Sorry about y'alls bad taste.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rarity posted:

Wait, you're only just realising now that I hate them?

Yes. :smithcloud:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

What? They were a lovely version of the Road Warriors, but were still a good team.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DeathChicken posted:

They managed to book Andre really well even as he steadily got worse physically. If wrestling were a fighting game he had his damage sliders set up to 200%

Hell, Street Fighter has a character who is basically Andre.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Akeem owned.

I used to do his dance when he came out, in chubby solidarity.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yeah

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Holy poo poo, that owns. :staredog:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

C. Everett Koop posted:

They can't sue you for copyright infringement if you do a complete poo poo job of it, I guess.

Pretty sure either Bill or Moondog Spot has the copyright on Demolition nowadays.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gorilla was really bad at commentary.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MotU posted:

i hope you realize now that bossman is good + great

Bossman was pretty good for a big man.

Also, I laugh every time I think about his hilariously redneck family at the Hall of Fame ceremony.

I'm the only person who likes OMG/Akeem. :ohdear:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rarity posted:

Sorry, I'm not going to start thinking someone is good cause they managed to have a decent match with Shawn Michaels. Even Hogan managed that :colbert:

Hogan carried Shawn. :colbert:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

astrollinthepork posted:

Bret would never do that!

Well, Bret was a professional (mostly), and didn't throw a hissy fit everytime he didn't get his way like Shawn.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rude was pushed much higher up the card in WCW.

Also, Warrior legit hurt Heenan dropping him like that.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Davros1 posted:

When Taylor went back to WCW, he still wore this jacket, just with a silver piece of fabric on the back covering up the words "Red Rooster" with "Terrence Taylor".

It's not what you make, it's what you save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tony was bad in the last few years of WCW when he didn't give a poo poo, but he'd be by far the best announcer in WWE currently.