Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«4 »
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Early Savage is one of my favorite heel achetypes - the guy who is incredibly good in the ring but continually takes shortcuts/cheats not because he needs to but because why the hell not? Triple H used to have a bit of that going for him too which I loved, JR would sell the poo poo out of it on commentary screaming,"HE'S A GREAT WRESTLER, HE DOESN"T NEED TO CHEAT! "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh yeah, Dibiase fits that pretty nicely too. Sure he could work hard for it, and he's got the talent... but why not just take the easy road and pay somebody else to do the dirty work instead!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bobby will always hate Hogan, Corey will always hate The Drifter, and Jesse would always hate Tito Santana vv

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

JYD winning by count-out after taking a chairshot.... what a bizarre ending to the tournament.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

I have this picture of an old lady included in my screencaps and for life of me, I can't remember why.

If I remember right that's the "Where's the beef?" lady, which was a famous advertisement, and she was there before the Battle Royal so they could have her finally get her answer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug75diEyiA0

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Is Hercules Hernandez the guy who later (or even at this point?) carried that big set of chains around his neck?

I always liked that guy as a kid because he was loving huge and he carried a big set of chains around his neck!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

I'm British too, doesnt mean I get to chill at ringside with Jack Gallagher

Look in your mailbox more often, the invitations have been piling up!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

As a kid I really loved Brutus and I have no earthly idea why, beyond something about how cartoonish he was struck a chord. I don't want to go back and rewatch the Outlaw Ron Bass feud because I remember it as a horrifying, devastating and bloody assault by Bass taking the spurs to Brutus' face, and I'm worried if I go back and rewatch it it'll actually be really lame. Also I don't want to ruin the memories of how fantastic Brutus' ultimate revenge and celebration was.

Gavok posted:

I hope Rarity goes far enough in this thread to get through Rick Martel's whole WWF career. He's sort of like an alternate Earth Shawn Michaels who goes through the same path, only Vince never pulls the trigger on him in any meaningful way and you get a couple years of, "He's still around?" where he mostly coasts on once doing pretty well in a Royal Rumble.

That's what you get for disrespecting Tito Santana

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Like with Brutus, as a kid I loved Koko. Probably because of how cartoonish he was, I mean the dude had a bird!

I do remember (and fear to rewatch in case I was wrong) him having a hell of a match with Andre the Giant though, where he was just zooming all over the place trying to hit Andre with hit and run moves and wear him down, till Andre finally got his hands on him and destroyed him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm late but I just wanna say I still rate Bam Bam's struggle to survive and coming so close before falling to the inexorable might of Andre the Giant. It remains one of my favorite early wrestling memories.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gavok posted:

Rarity, I've got good news and bad news for you.

Rarity posted:

The Golden Rule

As a lot of my enjoyment for this endeavour comes from discovering the unknown I want to enforce a strict no spoiler policy in this thread so that I can go into these PPVs blind. Things I don't want to know about include but are not limited to:

Please let Rarity experience the madness for themselves

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Loved the write-up on Matilda, the goodest dog

My beautiful Strike Force, defeated

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Platypus Farm posted:

3 drops and you're out, buddy!

Looks like this is the end of Hulk Hogan, if you ask me.

Up goes the arm... and down it drops!

Up goes the arm... and down it drops!

Up goes the arm... and dow-

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ron Bass taking the spurs to Brutus Beefcake was one of the most horrifying things I saw in wrestling as a kid.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ShadowedFlames posted:

For me, it's something that we haven't come to in this thread yet. We have seen both people involved in it though.

Rarity just posted about it, the attack happened pre-Summerslam which is why the scheduled Honky Tonk Man/Beefcake match didn't happen on that show.

Edit: No wait I completely misread your post sorry, my bad!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

So I knew this was going to happen. It's one of the biggest moments in the Golden Era, how could I not? However I always thought this happened at Wrestlemania V so this still came as a huge shock to me. Even with the mystery of the opponent and the way they set up Honky's hubris I was absolutely convinced he was getting out of this show with the belt. This means that despite coming to it thirty years late this still played completely as intended and it was so loving good. They played the crowd to perfection and made Warrior look like a huge star. This is the Warrior I wanted to see at WM4 and I'm glad I got him this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzmWjqzOtfk

I watched this about 100 times as a kid, just marking out anew every single time. I don't think I even knew who The Ultimate Warrior was before he came running out but from that moment on he was one of Lil' Jerusalem's favorite wrestlers.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Hart Foundation is a great team but based on 90% of what I've seen Anvil be involved in outside of that team, I have to figure Bret didn't just carry Demolition to a fun match but his own partner as well.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thinking on it, it's a pretty good example of what WWE used to do so well (and is currently doing well with Braun) - they took what he could do really well and brought it to the forefront, and hid as best they could his weaknesses/problems.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Boo Xerzes, booo!

I thought David Faustino would be more of a King Kong Bundy fan.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

dad ..... who's busy putting his son in the torture rack.

Oh cool, I didn't know Stu Hart was at this show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I don't know why, but I always bought into Greg Valentine as a dangerous mid-level bad guy. Maybe because I was sold on a feud he had that comes later than this event, so I'll talk more about that when it comes up I guess.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Both Tito and Greg are hugely underrated (and both are getting props these days because of people rediscovering and remembering the IC title feud they had).

I have always loved Tito and everybody else should too, he's great

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

As a kid The Rockers were so much fun - they were so high energy and did poo poo I didn't really see anybody else doing. Even so I never expected Shawn to eventually become arguably the best wrestler of all time.

quote:

I don't know a whole lot about Arn

All you need to know about Arn is that he is, as one person once put it,"Your dad coming down the stairs after working a double-shift and you just woke him up by being too loud."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Any version of the Road Warriors that is NOT the Road Warriors, no matter how good the two guys might be, is gonna be a much shittier version of the Road Warriors.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

Akeem takes out Jim and flattens him with a splash, which is enough to put Jim out of the game. Gino refers to Akeem as 'the 747' which is the same nickname he had when he was the One Man Gang. So this is the bit that confuses me. Are Akeem and the Gang meant to be the same guy? And if they are, how the hell did the sell that gimmick change? If someone could educate me on Akeem's debut that would be really appreciated.

Oh my God, Rarity. Oh my God.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR2ExOi4RHo

I remember watching this as a kid and being utterly flummoxed by what I was seeing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

80s WWF was full of weird stuff like that, particularly in main events with Hogan. Babyfaces would cheat regularly against heels, and it was always supposed to be like,"Well the heels are getting their comeuppance!" except there were plenty of times where the only "bad" thing the heel had actually done was to beat up the face during the course of the match.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Well, you got to look at the heel's history as a whole. As a fan, if your used to them cheating over and over, you're not going to care that they haven't cheated yet in this one particular match.

I can only speak for myself obviously but even as a kid watching this stuff live I'd get confused by some of the blatant cheating the faces would do - particularly Hulk Hogan. Don't want to go into specifics because most of my references are from shows Rarity hasn't gotten to yet - but it would bug me when a face would cheat out of nowhere to beat a heel. Sure the heels were jerks who had done lovely things to them in the build-up, or might have cheated at other times, but it would sometimes culminate in a match where it was just straight up face vs heel with no shenanigans and then the face would cheat or get some kind of advantage to beat the heel and it just felt weird/off.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

And now it's time for what is genuinely my favourite part of any Royal Rumble PPV. It's the bit where guys pick their numbers out of a giant gaudy tombola!

Hell. loving. Yes.

I miss it so much.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I have a soft spot in my heart for Rugged Ronnie Garvin, because he was involved in a feud that I absolutely loved though it doesn't come until 1990. Before his WWF run though he was a big deal for a short time in Jim Crockett Promotions where he feuded for a LONG time with Ric Flair for the NWA Championship and had about the coolest nickname possible: "The Man with the Hands of Stone"

Edit: Also I loving loved that Andre was scared of snakes and Jake would take advantage of that

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

RC and Moon Pie posted:

And also Miss Atlanta Lively.

JJ hiding behind the curtains to watch

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

Take the money, John! Just think of all the tall-length jeans you'll be able to buy!

I love watching Dibiase beg off in a panic when things stop going his way

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

It's April 1989, little Rarity is learning to play Amiga and across the Atlantic a threat to all humanity is brewing as all life risks being destroyed in the blast when THE MEGA POWERS EXPLODE. That's right, it's Wrestlemania V!

We can joke about it now, but it was like growing up in the Cold War if you were old enough to really understand what was going on - the Mega-Powers exploding had us all fearing for our lives. My dad was building an underground shelter to protect us from.... THE MADNESS! while my mother would just gently weep all day while clutching a WWF-brand crucifix with Hulk Hogan on it.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at Oct 14, 2017 around 05:31

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Randaconda posted:

I'm the only person who likes OMG/Akeem.

I do too!

I mean, I'm embarrassed about it, but that doesn't stop me liking pro-wrestling either!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

As a kid I COMPLETELY bought into the idea of the Powers of Pain being impervious to pain (or rather, in control of it) and I remember watching them vs Demolition (I assume it was this match) and seeing them selling and just immediately losing complete interest in them.

I guess that's the pitfall of marketing a team based solely on the idea that they can't be hurt, then having them get beat up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gavok posted:

You just broke Jerusalem's heart by making him relive Strike Force's split-up.

My beloved Strike Force.....

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

Tito had it coming

You inhumane monster!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rude beating Warrior was so great, especially because - as you note - both guys come out of the match looking great and Warrior's loss doesn't feel like it hurts him at all. If anything it gives more fire to continue the feud hotter than ever if they so choose.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

As a kid, Rooster snapping after taking Heenan's abuse was such an incredible moment and got me super-excited to see him go it alone. I even really enjoyed the debut of the Brawler and the attack on Rooster that was part of Heenan's revenge. It basically all went downhill from there unfortunately, and the only highlight was Heenan.

The day after the Megapowers exploded and Hogan emerged victorious, my family and I left the underground shelter and stood quietly in the yard. Our thrill/relief was tempered by the knowledge of how close we came to.... THE MADNESS! I asked my dad how we'd get by from here, and he simply said,"One day at a time, Lil' Jerusalem. One day at a time."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gavok posted:

Back when WWE had those choose-your-own-adventure books, one of them had a variation of it where Jericho convinces you to become Kid Caveman. He does it as a rib, but you can choose to get it over anyway and you end up becoming a huge star in Japan.

I need to make Kid Caveman in 2K18.

Bárbaro Cavernario's secret origin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God I remember that Hart Foundation vs Brainbusters match ruling a whole bunch. Glad to see my memory was accurate.

«4 »