Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Zombie world is a really good card. Yep. Like me some zombos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

mandatory lesbian posted:

Heroes have dark phoenix enforcer and dark law . dont think anyone says theyre bad, just not tier one

Theyre permanently rogue because just a little good support can catapult them to stealing games from meta decks.

Charles Bukowski posted:

Zombie world is a really good card. Yep. Like me some zombos

drat do you see how jacked the rarity is on zombie stuff?

Zombie World, Unizombie, Balerdroch all UR. Almost anything else you want is SR

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Theyre permanently rogue because just a little good support can catapult them to stealing games from meta decks.

Same for Ancient Gears and Gear Town

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
https://twitter.com/The_progenitor1/status/1484530917238579200

Apparently Gem Knight OTK is alive and well.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Kozmo is pretty much all UR and SR. So is the IRL Shaddoll structure deck when I tried making a deck based on that. Frankly I don't even know what a budget deck in Master Duel could be.

Although now I've actually built Kozmo, and I adore it. Which speaks to why I love simulators for TCGs so much; there's a lot of really neat decks like Kozmo that I couldn't really make IRL not because of cost, but scarcity. The singles market for cards is pretty slim here in Australia, you're just not gonna be able to track down cards older than two, three years old. I had a similar issue with Timelords; by pricetags you could make that deck for like sixty bucks, but you'll never find most of them.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Frankly I don't even know what a budget deck in Master Duel could be.
Megaliths are almost entirely in rare and Solo, with one SR, though you'll still want to dig into the pack for generic ritual support.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Magical Musketeer is pretty budget.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Yep..

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Master Duel is great. Love 2 Shizuku pass every turn and stop my opponent from doing anything fun.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I've never had a streak this stupidly high even while climbing :psyduck:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Been playing Super Quants and I noticed a weird quirk with Great Magnus that probably applies to a whole lotta other cards too? Great Magnus’s effect tiers are applied when it has 2+ material, 4+, and 6+, respectively, which I assumed meant “2 or more.” The card effects themselves are grayed out though when I have the number listed, and so I guess those tiers are actually “more than 2,” “more than 4,” and “more than 6”? It’s doubly confusing when I check the actual card and it explicitly says “2 or more.”

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Given you get a monarch structure deck for free, is investing in the Monarch secret booster pack a good idea? Monarchs are very much a retro choice, but its what I remember from when I played a decade+ ago. HERO cards were used in the Perfect Circle build, what packs are those in? If I wanted to make a more modern deck, where should I start? I remember someone mentioned Burning Abyss is usually competitive. I have that pack unlocked too.

Are the secret boosters really only available for 24 hours?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Are the secret boosters really only available for 24 hours?

Yes, but if you craft a card from that pack, it unlocks the pack for you.

If you want to build a modern meta deck, Stalwart Force has the top tier decks available to you right now.

HEROes are spread through a ton of different packs.

Monarchs are pretty decent, especially with the Domain build.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 24, 2022

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Vandar posted:

Yes, but if you craft a card from that pack, it unlocks the pack for you.

Mind you said card has to be at least a Super Rare

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Vandar posted:

Monarchs are pretty decent, especially with the Domain build.
:hmmyes:

Domain of the True Monarchs serves a wonderful purpose of letting you completely avoid needing to gently caress around with getting extra deck staples.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I do like their aesthetic and trying to make tribute summoning a thing even though they could just retcon them into working like hieratics. I remember them being very strong in their day but also very bricky. Gotta pray at the altar of Trade In.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Charles Bukowski posted:

I do like their aesthetic and trying to make tribute summoning a thing even though they could just retcon them into working like hieratics. I remember them being very strong in their day but also very bricky. Gotta pray at the altar of Trade In.

I hadn't played Monarchs before this, and I'll give credit to the solo mode, their campaign does an amazing job of demonstrating why you might want to play them.

Also, from what I'm aware of Monarchs are still quite good in the modern day. They're not tier one, but you turn up to locals with a modern Monarchs deck and you're probably gonna compete reasonably well.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The problem is, as said, that they're very bricky. Because half their cards are dead in hand without the other half, they're dependent on having access to the right cards in your opening hand, and getting those cards out without eating disruption. Once they get moving, they're fantastic, but that can be a bit of a dicey proposition sometimes.

I really think they're just one more good combo starter away from being meta.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

If nothing else that music track that plays during the Monarchs campaign slaps surprisingly hard

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

If nothing else that music slaps surprisingly hard
Master_Duel.txt

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

So unlike Hearthstone, you can still demote from the highest rank. I lost 5 times in a row and got demoted to Plat 2 (got back to 1 easily enough thankfully, not that it matters for anything once you claimed the rewards). This was despite having had a very long winstreak beforehand so it seems there's no buffer system or anything.

girl dick energy posted:

Master_Duel.txt
:hmmyes:

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

girl dick energy posted:

The problem is, as said, that they're very bricky. Because half their cards are dead in hand without the other half, they're dependent on having access to the right cards in your opening hand, and getting those cards out without eating disruption. Once they get moving, they're fantastic, but that can be a bit of a dicey proposition sometimes.

I really think they're just one more good combo starter away from being meta.

I was trying out a build of the Monarchs loaner in Link Evolution. And yeah, the deck is strong when everything gets going, but you can draw the wrong half of the deck.

I have been testing out decks in Link Evolution before committing to a deck to climb with in Master Duel. Diving into PVP Yugioh is a lot to handle being more of a PVE player.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

If nothing else that music track that plays during the Monarchs campaign slaps surprisingly hard

Do you get the music if you buy the board? I would totally blow 800 gems on the lava one if you get that song with it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I hate Yugioh sometimes. :argh:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Holy poo poo I'm so tired of Drytron already. :negative:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Tezzeract posted:

I was trying out a build of the Monarchs loaner in Link Evolution. And yeah, the deck is strong when everything gets going, but you can draw the wrong half of the deck.

I have been testing out decks in Link Evolution before committing to a deck to climb with in Master Duel. Diving into PVP Yugioh is a lot to handle being more of a PVE player.

Yeah honestly Master Duel having a mostly up to date card pool right from the beginning might have been a mistake, even with their intention of using it for tournaments in mind, if for nothing else than the fact that it really makes it glaringly obvious how much of the total card pool is useless chaff in a way previous video games didn't(or even the real world card game for that matter) which is not a great look for a digital card game with gatcha aspects to it(especially once the free currency starts drying up for most people very soon here)

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah honestly Master Duel having a mostly up to date card pool right from the beginning might have been a mistake, even with their intention of using it for tournaments in mind, if for nothing else than the fact that it really makes it glaringly obvious how much of the total card pool is useless chaff in a way previous video games didn't(or even the real world card game for that matter) which is not a great look for a digital card game with gatcha aspects to it(especially once the free currency starts drying up for most people very soon here)

The easy fix is to just include retro formats like Konami recently started endorsing IRL. GOAT format, which is 2005 format and Edison, which is a certain month in 2010, both have fairly large followings with their own websites dedicated to it, and as such are good ways to include classic Yugioh and 5Ds Yugioh. HAT format, which is in 2014, was generally liked and would be a good representative of the XYZ era. And TOSS is 2019 and is a good representation of Master Rule 4. It makes even more sense from a profitability standpoint for Master Duel than real life.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

MegaZeroX posted:

The easy fix is to just include retro formats like Konami recently started endorsing IRL. GOAT format, which is 2005 format and Edison, which is a certain month in 2010, both have fairly large followings with their own websites dedicated to it, and as such are good ways to include classic Yugioh and 5Ds Yugioh. HAT format, which is in 2014, was generally liked and would be a good representative of the XYZ era. And TOSS is 2019 and is a good representation of Master Rule 4. It makes even more sense from a profitability standpoint for Master Duel than real life.

Yeah, gotta make multiple decks for every era, in addition to keeping up with the meta if you want to be the King of Games.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I imagine those might be Event Duels at some point. Hopefully they're prepared to make extra bans so that eg Royal Magical Library FTK isn't the best deck in GOAT.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Yugioh sucked back then anyways, as someone who played in the early 2000s.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

GOAT is actually pretty reasonable. Yugioh sucked from 2002-2004 though for sure.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

:v:

https://twitter.com/Swagkage/status/1485084425075503107?s=20
https://twitter.com/agamerthatgames/status/1485316501653520384?s=20

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

How is your card pool shared between decks? The game gives you a free Monster Reborn almost immediately. Can I use that one copy in every deck I build, or do I need multiple copies for multiple decks?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
You can use the same cards in multiple decks.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Charles Bukowski posted:

You can use the same cards in multiple decks.

Cool

Can someone explain Anchamoufrite to me? It has a bunch of effects based on it being the only card in your extra deck, but Ancha is a main deck monster and I'm really confused

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Cool

Can someone explain Anchamoufrite to me? It has a bunch of effects based on it being the only card in your extra deck, but Ancha is a main deck monster and I'm really confused

When Pendulum monsters leave the field, they go to the extra deck instead of the graveyard.

It's meant to be a Monarch support card, since they typically don't have an extra deck. You play it in the Pendulum zone, use it's effect, it goes to the extra deck, then you can special summon it to tribute it off for a Monarch.

Raccoonboy
May 31, 2011
ended up with a hybrid Melodious/Kaiju deck
Very fun

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Luv too play Sky Strikers and get out Accesscode Talker on my second turn against a Blue Eyes deck, instakilling them because they popped some lovely trap and brought their life down to a bit over 6k

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

triple sulk posted:

Luv too play Sky Strikers and get out Accesscode Talker on my second turn against a Blue Eyes deck, instakilling them because they popped some lovely trap and brought their life down to a bit over 6k

Love to play against Blue-Eyes players who don't realize that Mirror Force is a fuckin' awful card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Honestly, im kinda flummoxed that every blue eyes player is playing chaos max and no ritual support

Like i get chaos max is a cool card (if not actually that good) but like...dont you want to play your cool dragon consistently