Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I am trying my hardest not to come off as a dick towards them but I would assume that like 99% of Blue-Eyes players are either mostly anime fans or old-school players coming back to the game and don't realize how much good ritual support there is. They just see a big ritual Blue-Eyes and shove it into the deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Vandar posted:

I am trying my hardest not to come off as a dick towards them but I would assume that like 99% of Blue-Eyes players are either mostly anime fans or old-school players coming back to the game and don't realize how much good ritual support there is. They just see a big ritual Blue-Eyes and shove it into the deck.

Yeah, I was gonna say about the same thing. They're probably used to bricking, so the notion of Chaos MAX being a sometimes food is built-in.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Kyrosiris posted:

Holy poo poo I'm so tired of Drytron already. :negative:
Maindeck 3x Dark Ruler No More. :pseudo:

I'm only half-kidding.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Best-of-one format makes it really hard to build against the competition. :negative:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Vandar posted:

Best-of-one format makes it really hard to build against the competition. :negative:
Best-of-one basically kills certain decks, and lets others get away with jank they absolutely shouldn't.

Edit: On the bright side, at least machines are a bit more viable since they're not instantly turbofucked by sideboarded System Down.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

girl dick energy posted:

Best-of-one basically kills certain decks, and lets others get away with jank they absolutely shouldn't.

Edit: On the bright side, at least machines are a bit more viable since they're not instantly turbofucked by sideboarded System Down.

I don't think anyone would be sideboarding System Down anyway, there's much better answers you can sideboard in against most of the machine decks that works on non-machine decks too.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I feel like a best-of-three format would kill what little success I've had, because I imagine Kozmo isn't that hard to side for, but it's enough at odds with the meta down in Silver that people struggle.

Like, right now the countering meta in Silver seems to be mostly Maxx C and Ash Blossom. That works a treat against a lot of opponents, but Kozmo's very happy to call it a turn at 'Dark Eclipser, what now bitches'. But the moment we reach a point where Kaijus start becoming a regular sight in decks I feel like I'll hit some problems.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Yeah Dryton is terrible. I went from "wow I'm amazing getting 10 wins in a row" in silver/gold to losing 4 games in a row in platinum.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I'm very tempted to put the Water Kaiju in my Hero deck to tribute away problem cards, plus it can also double as material for Absolute Zero

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Hey important warning here:

The game is going down for maintenance on Wednesday. While it's down, the countdown for secret packs you have unlocked will still be running.

So uh...if there's any secret packs you have open that you want to pull from before the game goes down, better make sure to do it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

blizzardvizard posted:

I'm very tempted to put the Water Kaiju in my Hero deck to tribute away problem cards, plus it can also double as material for Absolute Zero
It's a good call. Gameciel's a staple for a reason, and it being multipurpose like that means it's rarely a completely dead card regardless of matchup, which is critically important in a best-of-one.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 25, 2022

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
My favourite Kaijus are the insect ones because I can add them to hand with my insect deck. Wtb a zombie kaiju I can add to hand with bloom.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Someone tell me about Elementsabers. I got a bunch of them since they're in the same pack as Monarchs

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

girl dick energy posted:

Maindeck 3x Dark Ruler No More. :pseudo:

I'm only half-kidding.

One day I'll actually refine my deck instead of just being a bunch of maids and support cards. :v:

At least I went with something vaguely modern instead of trying to relive my Bad Reaction anti heal days.

I got my first OTK today, even. :yayclod:

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Someone tell me about Elementsabers. I got a bunch of them since they're in the same pack as Monarchs

They're not very competitive. Their bosses aren't very good and tricky to summon. The best I've seen them do is be an elemental engine for Invoked in duel links before people realized magician girl stall was a better engine for Invoked.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

They all share an effect where they can change their attribute in the graveyard. They also all have an on-field effect that lets you discard an Elementsaber to do something. If you have their field spell up, you can send an Elementsaber from deck to grave to activate their effects instead, and their field also gives your monsters extra attack and defense for every attribute in your graveyard.

Their boss monsters are the Element Lords, big beefy monsters that require exactly five monsters of their corresponding attribute in the graveyard to summon, and all have effects based on older cards that are banned or were banned at one point or another.

If you haven't checked it out already, go to solo mode and play through their story gate, it does a decent job of showing off how they function.

Just keep in mind...

Charles Bukowski posted:

They're not very competitive. Their bosses aren't very good and tricky to summon. The best I've seen them do is be an elemental engine for Invoked in duel links before people realized magician girl stall was a better engine for Invoked.

...this. They're a decent casual deck and that's about it, unfortunately.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If you want a deck that does cool graveyard tricks, they're going hard on getting people to play Eldlich right now, and it's a good deck both by itself and as a hybrid with something else. (Invoked Eldlich is basically chocolate and peanut butter, honestly.) Or you can play any of the like half-dozen other zombie archetypes that treat the graveyard like a second hand.

And if you want an archetype that does cool things with attributes... Actually, that's just Invoked again.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 25, 2022

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Shadoll (which predates invoked) also does neat things with attributes. invoked is shadoll's central gimmick sharpened to a razor edge (attribute based fusion, recyclable fusion spell) and you can use shaddoll plays to feed resources into invoked plays. They play off each other really well.

Elementsabers are incredibly tedious to play in a simulator because you have to go through each monster in your GY to activate their effects. Just playing the deck is busywork.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

If you want a less standard but still neat graveyard archetype, Ogdoadic is great. But perhaps a bit expensive as the strongest builds require not just its own Ultra Rares, but also some UR Links from other reptile archetypes, and Snake Rain at 3 (which is also a UR).

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
If you want busywork the deck then I would recommend Flower Cardians, the strongest cheapest and most difficult to play deck that nobody does because it's boring.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
So I haven't touched this game physically my whole life, and the only digital versions I played were the DS games. I figured I'd give this a spin (yes, with a Blue-Eyes deck, and yes, I play Blue-Eyes Chaos MAX Dragon). Nine times out of ten, I don't even realise what I'm going up against. I also just sat through an Exodia deck that didn't complete Exodia until they drew the final card of their deck.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Skios posted:

So I haven't touched this game physically my whole life, and the only digital versions I played were the DS games. I figured I'd give this a spin (yes, with a Blue-Eyes deck, and yes, I play Blue-Eyes Chaos MAX Dragon). Nine times out of ten, I don't even realise what I'm going up against. I also just sat through an Exodia deck that didn't complete Exodia until they drew the final card of their deck.
If it makes you feel any better, they were probably as frustrated as you were confused.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
It's a weird experience when I see someone try to pull off an Exodia deck, which has happened twice so far. Exodia is such an optimistic, ridiculous moonshot of a strategy that when I see someone try it I'm suddenly rooting for them more than myself.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jan 26, 2022

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Skios posted:

Theres nothing inherently wrong with playing blue eyes, just if youre playing chaos max you really should be putting at least some ritual support in your deck. Otherwise you brick way too often.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Like i used to play chaos max with impcantations and they are a very good engine for getting it out fast.

Along with every other non drytron ritual, but i digress

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Yeah, I'm running two copies of Pre-Preparation of Rites and three copies of Bingo Machine, Go!!!. As for people running Exodia, I guess it's mostly just off of Royal Magical Library and Chicken Game being legal. When I went up against that Exodia deck, the single copy of Ash Blossom I had in my hand to negate their Toon Table of Contents did nothing to slow them down.

~edit: I'm an idiot who didn't realise that Pre-Preparation of Rites can't target Chaos Form. Back to the drawing board.

Skios fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 26, 2022

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

mandatory lesbian posted:

Like i used to play chaos max with impcantations and they are a very good engine for getting it out fast.

Along with every other non drytron ritual, but i digress

This was my go-to deck in Link Evolution for grinding through all those story campaign duels. Consistently summon the bungus and Falcon Punch with the double piercing.

I lost a game to Blue-Eyes in Master Duel using Sky Strikers, but I still feel good about managing to out one Chaos Max threatening me by going into the Accesscode link climb. Couldn't close the game before #2 dropped, but hey, I tried.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Skios posted:

Yeah, I'm running two copies of Pre-Preparation of Rites and three copies of Bingo Machine, Go!!!. As for people running Exodia, I guess it's mostly just off of Royal Magical Library and Chicken Game being legal. When I went up against that Exodia deck, the single copy of Ash Blossom I had in my hand to negate their Toon Table of Contents did nothing to slow them down.

~edit: I'm an idiot who didn't realise that Pre-Preparation of Rites can't target Chaos Form. Back to the drawing board.

I've actually so far seen two entirely separate engines used for Exodia decks. I forget the first one, but the second one I remember had an overall game plan of sending the pieces to the graveyard and returning them to hand with various bits of Spellcaster support.

I could've stopped that second one pretty much instantly by using Kozmojo, since it seems he had no way to interact with banishments, but frankly I wanted to see how well his combo would go.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Man i remember back when i played eternal duelist soul and my exodia deck was "play sangan and witch of the black forest, a bunch of mirror forces and sweepers, and pray"

tankfish
May 31, 2013
Is mayakashi any good? I randomly got a couple of cards and they seem neat.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

tankfish posted:

No
Absolutely not
Stay absolutely as far away as possible.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Exodia is secretly a really good strategy in best-of-one format as long as you know what you're doing and your opponent isn't main-decking Droll (which you shouldn't do in best-of-one anyway).

tankfish posted:

The links are good in Zombie decks.

Stay away from the rest of them. They're super cool thematically, but as far as actually playing the deck goes, they have one single play and if the opponent stops it, you lose.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'd be very surprised if Royal Magical Library is a good strategy in 2022, don't you also just lose to Veiler/Imperm? And what's your going second strategy?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

don't you also just lose to Veiler/Imperm?
Even if they're running 3 of each (which they shouldn't), there's still no guarantee they'll have one in their opening hand, or that you won't have a Called By The Grave or Red Reboot. Exodia is buffed in a best-of-one because it's really easy to side against, but the most effective options for stopping it (Droll, etc.) are also clunky and potentially useless in any other match-up.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

And what's your going second strategy?
Dark Ruler No More? Doesn't really matter if your opponent can't take damage if you're going for the instant win anyways.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 26, 2022

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Shouldn't an Exodia strategy also be dying to Ash?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

MegaZeroX posted:

Shouldn't an Exodia strategy also be dying to Ash?

Exodia.dek is going to run enough draw cards that a single Ash won't stop them.

1 One Day of Peace, 1 Terraforming, 3 Upstart Goblin, 3 Reckless Greed, 3 Hope for Escape, 3 Chicken Game, 3 Psuedo-Space...

This is in addition to the Royal Magical Libraries you're probably running and whatever other ridiculous draw power cards I'm forgetting. Hell, you can be cheeky and run Anchamoufrite since you're probably not running an extra deck.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
And to clarify, Exodia himself can't be Ashed. So if you want to keep them off of Exodia by stopping Exodia itself, your only angle would be to somehow banish or GY one of the pieces and then knock back any way for them to get it back in hand.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Its quite simple, we need a hand trap version of Delinquent duo

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
The specific Exodia deck I ran into, the one that had to dig all the way to its last card, ran Royal Magic Library, Chicken Game and Pseudo Space, paired with three Toon Table of Contents into a Toon Blue-Eyes, plus a general Blue-Eyes engine (Cards of Consonance, some Blue-Eyes archetype tuners, Trade In).

Anyway, I found that the Sheranui deck was surprisingly easy to build. I took a budget build and tweaked it a bit with a few of the URs I already had (Raigeki, Feather Duster, Ash Blossoms, Maxx "C"). Still get blown out occasionally, but in general I'm enjoying playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

girl dick energy posted:

Even if they're running 3 of each (which they shouldn't), there's still no guarantee they'll have one in their opening hand, or that you won't have a Called By The Grave or Red Reboot. Exodia is buffed in a best-of-one because it's really easy to side against, but the most effective options for stopping it (Droll, etc.) are also clunky and potentially useless in any other match-up.

Dark Ruler No More? Doesn't really matter if your opponent can't take damage if you're going for the instant win anyways.
The deck is certainly buffed in Bo1 but I think it just goes from having a like 10% winrate ceiling to something more like 30%, given that you'll lose almost every game going second and still lose a decent number of going first games to hand traps or bricking.

DRNM seems extremely bad in a format with Eldlich, Sky Striker and Tribrigade so prominent, I don't think I've seen anyone play it yet.