Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Duel Links is really wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Naturia is crushing it since the last pack and all on the back of three normal cards.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jul 27, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Man you could have retired by now

Also, cool

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Duel Links

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm deadly curious to see if e-heroes will actually be playable considering the amount of fusion support they dropped in the last pack.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

If anyone hasn't touched Duel Links for a while then you should probably know that they just started dropping obscene amounts of log-in rewards (several thousands of gems, among other things) in tandem with GX getting released.

EDIT: Tearing up ladder with Elemental Hero Heat. I love this game.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 28, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hjalmar posted:

Sadly Heroes and D-Heroes aren't really in that playable a state yet.

D-heroes are aggressively garbage (why did Cyber Angels and Ojama's get the modern support but not this deck :argh:) but I've been having a lot of fun with Skyscraper beatdown on the lower rungs of the ladder. Blazeman especially is surprisingly strong just by the virtue of being able to deck-thin while turning into a 2500 beater/searching discard fodder.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

I was bored so I booted up Duel Links again (having played a little a long while ago) and I just don't really know what to do.

I beat Joey but then I'm stumped, Weevil's twice his level and I have no idea what to do deck-wise, right now I'm just running the Jaden Structure Deck, without a Skill since the only one I have is the one that sets Mountain. Any tips?

Buy packs of Dawn of Destiny. The pack contains a lot of strong low-level monsters, some of the strongest removal in the game and above all, the Naturia beatdown core which is incredibly strong while being made up of budget friendly normal drops.

If you've unlocked Jaden and bought the Structure pack then you already have all the components of Skyscraper beatdown. Just level up to get the skill and you're good to go.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ojama Fusion beatdown :getin:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

You need polymerization for the Ojama-deck to work so that should be your first priority if you don't have 3 already. Also try to unlock Aster Phoenix if you haven't already (summon 200 dark monsters in GX-world) as he immediately gives you a copy of Destiny Hero Plasma which is really easy to splash into Ojama's. Of Chazz's own support cards Ojama Blue and Ojama Knight are the difficult ones to get, farming lvl.40 Chazz can be really difficult without Union Attack and/or Dark Paladin.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Oct 23, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hjalmar posted:

Ojamas aren't just great for playing competitively, they are superb for farming Legendary Duelists.

(If you're new to Duel Links, do yourself a favor and grab two copies of Union Attack while the Duelist Kingdom event is running or you'll never forgive yourself)

I'm going to need a list on this. I seemingly have none of the sensible lists for locking down Ancient Gear Golem. :shepicide:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ancient Gears are now meta. Duel Link is officially the best Yu-gi-oh has ever been.

Thanks! :)

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I fully expect Duel Links to go poo poo upon either the introduction of Cyber Dragons or, god forbid, the good Monarchs but luckily we're not there yet.

EDIT: Raiza combined with Weevil would break the game.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 29, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

AlphaKretin posted:

I'm reasonably confident that they're not going to add Cyber Dragon and Zane will conspicuously show up with only Cyberdarks. I'm curious how they're going to handle 5Ds if they get there though, short of just skipping Aki entirely (not like that would be entirely untrue to later 5Ds :argh:), because a board wipe like Black Rose is the sort of thing they're very definitely trying to avoid.

Maybe they'll go with the manga dragon instead?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hjalmar posted:

Would Cyber Dragon even break the game at this point?

It would get put into literally every deck and with LP-cap at 4000 it would rapidly shorten most games. Cyber Dragon is not very impressive in the current Yu-gi-oh but upon its release it changed everything. It was the gold standard which everything that came after had to match.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

All TCG's whether physical or digital are P2W and will always be because that's the business model.

I'm kinda excited about Gladiator Beasts getting released but also kinda bummed about them leaving out the key card.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm like 99% sure they're not going to. And that's despite the worthless archetypes they've made decent so far through skills and/or selective releasing including Naturia and Ancient Gears (:wtc:). On the other hand, Destiny Warriors.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oh we're not talking post Arc-V Ancient Gears. We're talking glorious old 2007 janky Ancient Gears were a 1800 atk Gemini beater is a core card. That is meta. Naturia is the same deal, we're not talking Synchro-spam Naturia which dominates the board with Barkion or whatever. We're talking straight up all the weird Naturia beatdown cards. That too was meta just a few months ago.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 5, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

What is this Crystal Beast stealth release. Literally none of the synergy cards. :negative:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Why did no one ever tell me how the Duel Links banlist works before :iia:

Basically, instead of the ban-list limiting cards individually, the ban-list in Duel Links is a pool. For example, in base Yu-gi-oh limited meant that you could run a deck with like cyber dragon, graceful charity, heavy storm and whatnot all at the same time. In Duel Links, you would have to pick one of these and one only, because they're all from the limited pool. It works the same for semi-limited cards, you can only play 2 cards from the pool in total. For the current ban-list that means that you can in CA for example run either Vigilance or Machine Angel Ritual, but not both.

This is all going to come down to how they use it in practice but at face-value this seems like an excellent case of Konami actually learning something from running a card-game for decades.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I don't see the frustration part. A lot of cards which were on the ban-list of Yugioh in the first 10 years were only so because either:

a) There was no such thing a deck not made better by them
b) Another card on the ban-list creates an infinite combo with them

In Duel Links all of these cards could be safely put at 1 because a) no longer matters with this new opportunity cost (playing one broken card denies you another) and b) falls away entirely since all you have to do is to limit combo-cards so that they can't be played with each other.

I mean this might seem incomprehensible in a format where Raigeki is at 1 and mirror force has been unlimited for almost a decade but power-cards used to a big deal back before every deck was synergy-town.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Marik is better. Half of his emotes is just him laughing like a maniac.

The steam port is so good.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

Unless I just haven't found the option to not play on a vertical screen or do absolutely anything it's an awful port.

There's a really barebones resolution-configuration thingy hidden in the game-map and if you're really finicky you can manually input literally whatever settings you desire into the relevant text-file. You can't make the game horizontal though if that is what you want.

When I'm saying it's a good port I'm referring to how there's no bugs and the thing runs like a charm. :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ninja's is the #1 world deck in Duel Links. :psyduck:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Herr Tog posted:

well I never learned synchro poo poo so maybe I will learn it or maybe I don't wanna tango with this game.

Well then there is always Duel Links

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Edit: Just don't spend any actual money on it, the real-money prices are loving absurd. $0.99 for a pack of 3 cards, most of which are probably garbage. Or, if you spend $30, you get a whole 30 packs of garbage, which might include one decent card.

Edit2: I did the math a while back, and for the price of buying a box of one Duel Links set, you could buy two actual physical boxes of Circuit Break packs.

I actually sold off all my CS:GO guns (oh my god why have the valuations inflated so much since I stopped playing) and bought packs that way. :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Herr Tog posted:

so no synchros in that?

Not for another few years I'd imagine. It's on Steam and it's free, check it out.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Unlimited Dark Hole? What the gently caress kind of format is going on in real Yu-Gi-Oh right now???

Floating and immunity effects just went completely off the loving rails after the release of Shark and Castel and it just got worse and worse during Arc-V's format. If Konami had been smart they'd have realized that they a real long-term design problem on their hands right around the time they banned Qliphoth Tower but instead they doubled down. It has pretty much been a non-stop arms-race between removal, immunity/floating and negation ever since.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hjalmar posted:

Skull Servants deck coming to Duel Links get hype all you skeleton fans

Holy poo poo best news ever.

Also I might have jumped on the Mind's Eye degeneracy train. Having a meta where Neo-spacian Glow Moss is not only viable but a core card was simple too much for me to pass up on.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Like seriously guys on behalf of the anti-fun police.

Your p2w deck can get bent, I have Glow Moss. :v:

EDIT: Pictured: A sane and healthy meta

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 17, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Man Ghosttricks are almost comically unplayable as anything but beatsticks.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Six Sams with Joey is real fun. In the usual Duel Links fashion the archetype is strong because of cards you've never heard of like Shien's Chancellor and Hand of the Six Samurai.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dexie posted:

Honestly, the game is in a really weird place right now.

2018 is starting out great for Duel Links

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

99% of my deckbuilding is now trying to make gem-knights work despite being denied their core card for no reason.

Not actually dismal it turns out :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ancient Gears if the event ever rolls around again. The new bamboo sword FTK/OTK decks are mostly cheap too. Gem Knights are all under UR. Water Swarm is one of the easiest F2P decks since it's mostly card-shop and leveling Mako.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

I desire Venom in Duel Links, on the basis that it might be a place where they don't suck so much.

They're too slow for the meta of last year even if they'd get a character skill supporting them. They'd need some new cards to be viable.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oh my god Duel Links just added That Grass Looks Greener to the card trader. :wtc:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mill for graveyard effects basically. Even with a 30-card limit it has substantial potential.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wall of Disruption ruined the balance of the combat traps so much that the meta is now divided into:

A: Decks that can ignore backrow (Ancient Gears, Sacred Phoenix, Lockdown Sergeant)
B: Decks that can survive running into Wall of Disruption (Glad Beasts, Red-Eyes, Dino)
C: Everything else

The combination of strong combat traps with low degrees of special summoning has kinda turned the game into the pre-monarch format of the old game were Smashing Ground, Cyber Dragon, Bottomless and Sakuretsu Armor ruled the day. You slowly out-value your opponent and then you OTK. There are a number of good answers to back-row in the game but they're all sabotaged by Sacred Phoenix (a deck which runs no backrow at all except enemy controller) simply being a too popular deck. If you run any backrow-hate but Cosmic then Phoenix trashes you. It was released all the way back in summer but due to Phoenix being an Ultra Rare it took ages for it to reach critical mass among the F2P players. A disturbing number of games I've played in the last week have come down to who gets the best WoD activations off.

These are the current non-archetype answers to backrow that are worth running by the way.

Budget:
Gust - Destroy your own backrow to destroy an equal amount of your opponents
Straight Flush - If your opponent has a full backrow then destroy it (less useful now than it was even a month ago due to more and more playing sacred phoenix)
Anti-magical Arrows - Deny any and all spell & trap activation for one combat phase

P2W:
Cosmic Cyclone - Pay 1000 lp to MST
Xin Zhen Hu - This card was literally never relevant to the real game at any point, locks down 2 backrow cards as long as it is on the field (basically a less rigid Straight Flush)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Super Waffle posted:

Getting pretty sick of cyberse stuff tbh

Join us in Duel Links.