Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Electronico6 posted:

His last movie was in 2018, and he's still attached to do Cold War 3.(Though who knows when that is happening, if at all) The problem is less with Chow and more with the Hong Kong film industry being in a suspended state since 2019, first with the protests, then with Covid, now with the new censor guidelines.

Chow's been blacklisted for a long time, even before the 2019 protests, but he has a type of fame and popularity with Chinese audiences that means he just stays around making weird CGI gambling movies that make all the money, people just don't care what he says or who he supports.Also unlike the Fan Bingbings and Zhao Wei's, Chow Yun Fat doesn't seem to be interested in engaging in massive tax fraud schemes, so there's not much the Party can do other than shadowban him from mainland only productions.

Ah, I did not know that (that he was blacklisted for a long time). I figured the protests would hit the film industry but not to that extent. But yeah, thinking on it, that sure is a hell of a one-two hit on the HK film industry.

What are these new censor guidelines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Ah, I did not know that (that he was blacklisted for a long time). I figured the protests would hit the film industry but not to that extent. But yeah, thinking on it, that sure is a hell of a one-two hit on the HK film industry.

What are these new censor guidelines?

The main one is depictions that promote or glorify acts that may endanger or compromise national security and unity.

Much like in the mainland, these directives are made purposefully vague with the general intent of enabling the censors to be able to interpret them freely, and to leave filmmakers in the dark about what is and isn't allowed.(also set up bribery schemes for said censors)

So what is an act that may endanger or compromise national security and unity? Could be putting bombs in police offices, could also be throwing thrash in the street cause that's an anti-social behavior. Could be anything.

If it's anything like the tightening censor rules that the mainland industry has seen since 2016, expect Hong Kong films to be made, announced, get release dates, and then pulled because of "technical difficulties" 2 days before debut, and then be left in purgatory for who knows how long.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Did anyone watch 'The Protege'? (Also called 'The Asset') It's a solid but unremarkable film except for one element. The main antagonist to Maggie Qs unstoppable super assassin is the 70 year old Michael Keaton. They've got to make him a legitimate, believable threat to Maggie Q and, unbelievably, they actually pull it off. I saw him in the credits and assumed he'd be the old, smug villain, but he's actually the fellow super assassin who can go toe to toe with the heroine. It's a very weird casting choice (It'd be like if Brian Cox was playing Karl Urban's role in the Bourne Supremacy) but they actually work around it incredibly well. I would legit watch a full length documentary on the various layers of trickery they used to make a 70 year old man look like a convincing badass.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Snowman_McK posted:

Did anyone watch 'The Protege'? (Also called 'The Asset') It's a solid but unremarkable film except for one element. The main antagonist to Maggie Qs unstoppable super assassin is the 70 year old Michael Keaton. They've got to make him a legitimate, believable threat to Maggie Q and, unbelievably, they actually pull it off. I saw him in the credits and assumed he'd be the old, smug villain, but he's actually the fellow super assassin who can go toe to toe with the heroine. It's a very weird casting choice (It'd be like if Brian Cox was playing Karl Urban's role in the Bourne Supremacy) but they actually work around it incredibly well. I would legit watch a full length documentary on the various layers of trickery they used to make a 70 year old man look like a convincing badass.

Obligatory editing magic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCKhktcbfQM

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Snowman_McK posted:

Martin Campbell knows a thing or two about shooting good action and it looks like it was mostly shot in Bulgaria where there is a lot of experience as well in stunts. Look at this resume for Keaton's double: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1806796/

And of course Keaton himself, whenever you see it's him he's not doing huge kicks and leaps but he looks like he knows exactly what he's doing. Like Helen Mirren in Red, that's good acting in selling the character's abilities and smoothly going through the motions suggesting decades of experience.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CeeJee posted:

Martin Campbell knows a thing or two about shooting good action and it looks like it was mostly shot in Bulgaria where there is a lot of experience as well in stunts. Look at this resume for Keaton's double: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1806796/

And of course Keaton himself, whenever you see it's him he's not doing huge kicks and leaps but he looks like he knows exactly what he's doing. Like Helen Mirren in Red, that's good acting in selling the character's abilities and smoothly going through the motions suggesting decades of experience.

That is a hell of a resume. I broadly know all the tricks used, but seeing them used that way and it resulting in not just good trickery, but a couple of excellent fight scenes, is cool as gently caress.

Thought it would be this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U58IdBjMeS4

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Oh word?

https://twitter.com/GenreFilmAddict/status/1438709813983207434?s=19

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
If there are any billionaires reading this who want to atone for a lifetime of avarice, you could buy me one of the Mad Max Fury Road cars and I'll forgive you.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
I found a cheap copy of Shark Lake (Lundgren), and those inflatable plastic sharks were almost adorable. So snaggletoothed!

Since they naively assumed that the pregnant shark would not get pregnant again in the "five years" she was living in the lake with her two offspring, I can only guess how bad the sequel will be. :D Lady sharks can do parthenogenesis if no guy sharks are available, and since this shark ate the oceanographer, no one was left to tell the remaining human about that.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Some more flawless editing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8om1X4RMtA

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I watched Rollerball for the first time. It's streaming on Prime.

James Caan looks great in it. It's got Douglas Slocombe's cinematography and awesome 70's "futuristic" set designs and costuming. All of the Rollerball sequences are amazing stunt choreography, editing and photography.

It's a shame that everything outside of the Rollerball sequences feels bloated. I liked hearing about the Corporation War, and the satire of a professional athlete being a puppet to the team owners, who are just business men looking at the books and their investments and political motivations. John Houseman looks like a great villain, too. I watched it with friends, so maybe it's on me for missing details, but I found the drama outside of the rink to be foggy and unclear.

I think it's worth watching for all of the Rollerball matches, and I like all of the ideas even if they don't really work. It's a movie where the style overcomes the substance, but that style is really loving cool.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Nothing is really known, yet, but Expendables 4 has begun filming in England. All the new cast is supposed to return, as well as the old cast. Tony Jaa appears to be the Token East Asian for this one.

I look forward to many happy explosions and the occasional fist-fight, at the very least.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
since not much posted lately, this come out Nov 5th. Finally Scott Adkins back to kicking rear end, it's been a while since Seized :v: Also I say Ryan Phillippe is underrated, guy was lights out in the Shooter series (amazing ending and pretty good show btw)

:hellyeah:

Plot: In an effort to prevent a terrorist attack on Washington D.C., an elite squad of Navy SEALs led by Lt. Blake Harris (Scott Adkins) and a junior CIA analyst Zoe Anderson (Ashley Greene) must retrieve a prisoner from a CIA black site island prison.

Hirez fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 20, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh fun, I’ll check that one out. Thanks!

E: ha was already in my watchlist but I guess I completely forgot about it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Hirez posted:

since not much posted lately, this come out Nov 5th

:hellyeah:

Plot: In an effort to prevent a terrorist attack on Washington D.C., an elite squad of Navy SEALs led by Lt. Blake Harris (Scott Adkins) and a junior CIA analyst Zoe Anderson (Ashley Greene) must retrieve a prisoner from a CIA black site island prison.

Is the title a reference to some long take in the film or is that unrelated?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I gotta be honest, the trailer for this looked really bad.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I was re-watching a fight scene from Dragon: the Bruce Lee Story and noticed that that warm ups done by Bruce's opponent in this scene looked a lot like the moves done by the actor playing "Thunder" in Big Trouble in Little China.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIfd6xkW-Iw&t=127s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_yRDEc7oZU&t=35s

I can't find the whole clip I'm looking for from the John Carpenter movie, but I trust the the regulars here will know what I am talking about.

Are these 2 actors practicing the same kind of martial art?

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

Snowman_McK posted:

Is the title a reference to some long take in the film or is that unrelated?

Yeah the film is going to be a single take/one shot from what I read

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

PeterCat posted:

Are these 2 actors practicing the same kind of martial art?

Probably hung gar or some other southern style, not an expert tho

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I gotta be honest, the trailer for this looked really bad.

Yeah I love Adkins and will probably rent it day of release but yeah the trailer is really not great. I mentioned it before but he isn't that good with firearms and it's pretty noticable at times in his movies so hopefully he got some actual training before this filmed.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Now that you mention it, it was pretty lame how both Debt Collector movies ended with dull sequences of people shooting at each other in small rooms, instead of just letting Adkins do his thing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I mean as much as I love Adkins, I do typically wait to hear some reviews of his stuff because unfortunately he's in a position with these low level productions where he isn't always going to have control over the final product. It's not his fault, but he's described it in the Art of Action videos, sometimes the production schedule dictates that he has literally like a single day to choreograph and shoot a big fight sequence from scratch and especially if it's a film that involves gun fights the low production values become really obvious. And that's to say nothing of the lack of acting talent that they're able to get in some of these movies, which is why something like The Debt Collector stands out above a lot of the rest in that department.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
on the other hand, arguably his best film*, Avengement was shot was in like 13 days total or whatever. and yea the plot trailers always look bad - I can't imagine how bad his december movie with Dolph** is gonna be...

Basically he just needs to work with Jesse V. Johnson & Isaac Florentine

*Ninja 2 / Savage Dog are right up there,.
** drat, he has 3 films with Dolph in post-prod; Castle Falls, Section Eight, and some movie about Dog Pups or somwething. Man likes to work

Hirez fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 21, 2021

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Hirez posted:

on the other hand, arguably his best film*, Avengement was shot was in like 13 days total or whatever.

Even more impressively, the last action scene, which is some of his best work and is a full five minutes long, was shot in two days.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The Uncharted trailer dropped:
https://youtu.be/UZOnOfc83Q0

While I'm a sucker for Raiders-style action treasure hunts around the world, I'm dubiously impressed that they managed to make a 'hero dangles from the back of a cargo plane in flight' setpiece that looks less convincing than one made while Ronald Reagan was president for The Living Daylights (though in fairness that's one of the best Bond action sequences ever), and in some shots looks less convincing than the PS3 games on which the film's based.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Going to watch One Shot tomorrow but decided to check out the new Josh Hartnett/Frank Grillo movie Ida Red. Honestly it was a pretty good crime thriller right until the final action scene which was horrible. It was shot so poorly with lots of weird close ups, most of the extras had obviously never even held a gun before, had no sense of pacing and just ground the entire movie to a halt. Also the characters were reloading multiple times throughout and I have no idea where they got the magazines from. Which is a shame since before this it was a pretty mean little movie and I was enjoying it

Also The Harder They Fall on Netflix is freaking awesome. Completely stacked cast and one of the most fun movies I have seen in years.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Has anyone seen the Forever Purge?

Any good? It looks a little muddled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOrXpK-rUaI

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

B-Rock452 posted:

Also The Harder They Fall on Netflix is freaking awesome. Completely stacked cast and one of the most fun movies I have seen in years.

Thanks for the recommendation. I just watched it and it's extremely good.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

PeterCat posted:

Has anyone seen the Forever Purge?

Any good? It looks a little muddled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOrXpK-rUaI

It's as enjoyable as the others, also just as unsubtle.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Just watched Bloodshot (2020) and good lord is it so clearly Vin Diesel's home Rifts campaign with the serial numbers filed off (I am aware it's actually some edgelord comic book from the 90s). He's such a doofy nerd and I love that he has gently caress-you money from the F&F franchise so he basically just does passion projects of nerd poo poo.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

duz posted:

It's as enjoyable as the others, also just as unsubtle.

I've only watched portions of these movies whenever they pop up on TV, but I really liked the bit I saw where Grillo is basically the Terminator.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Shrecknet posted:

Just watched Bloodshot (2020) and good lord is it so clearly Vin Diesel's home Rifts campaign with the serial numbers filed off (I am aware it's actually some edgelord comic book from the 90s). He's such a doofy nerd and I love that he has gently caress-you money from the F&F franchise so he basically just does passion projects of nerd poo poo.

For real I was into those Valiant comics back then and even then at the "height" of their popularity if you told me there was going to be a star-led Bloodshot movie I'd have laughed but here we are and it's stupid but it owns lol

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I liked One Shot way more than I expected to. One the tv front I am watching Nikita(2010) and Blade: The Series(2006). Corny at times (all the time?).

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ironically, the show was cancelled while it was the #1 show on Spike TV... for having ratings that were too high among women. Apparently casting a woman as a badass femme fatale army sniper-turned-vampire double-agent was getting women to tune in to SpikeTV, so they cancelled the show. If I had to guess, I'd say what happened was they signed Stickyfingaz, who wanted to play Blade as a passion project, then got the greenlight from that, and on set discovered he couldn't act. So they focus the show around the big bad Marcus Van Sciver and Krista Starr since their interplay is far more interesting, and Blade can be in as little of the show as possible, and most of that is his stunt double.

It's a drat good show, though - picks up right where the movie left off, Blade is already a badass and killing vampires, there's all the palace intrigue befitting a cool Vampire: The Masquerade campaign going on on the vampire side, while Blade runs from fight scene to fight scene. Stickyfingaz acquits himself well as the titular vampire assassin (although really it's his stunt double doing most of the heavy lifting) and a script/bible from David S. Goyer pretty much "gets" what Blade is - an utterly humorless murderbot surrounded by people who have goals and dreams, and find his nihilism either charming or shocking. Detroit looks good (although suspiciously like Vancouver) and the seeds are laid for a fairly entertaining action romp. It really is a shame this didn't get renewed, because Jill Wagner is basically Elektra if Elektra was interesting.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Did Snake actually get the discs confused at the end here?

It looks like thought he was giving Utopia the real device but she ended up having the fake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45W5JyNN-80

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Uhhhhh, I think you should watch this trailer. :aaaaa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgBoMJy386M

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I have no idea what the gently caress is going on or who anyone is, but it seems to boil down to "Gandhi with bullet-time and people punching motorbikes."

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Payndz posted:

I have no idea what the gently caress is going on or who anyone is, but it seems to boil down to "Gandhi with bullet-time and people punching motorbikes."

I will watch this movie every day until I die.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Payndz posted:

And The Punisher as the British end boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Same director as Baahubali. I’m in.