Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

dokmo posted:

One Percenter AKA One Percent Warrior dropped on blu ray and some streaming. Stars Tak Sakaguchi with Kensuke Sonomura as action director. I can't imagine how it could not be good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqs7KeEFoes

Oh poo poo! I finally caught Versus and didn't like it all that much, but I see that One-Percent Warrior (search for that on hoopla, but for one-percenter on justwatch), Bad City and Hydra are all on hoopla. Time for a marathon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Ok, one percent warrior is just a straight up sequel to re:born in a way that shouldn't work.

Unsurprisingly, the fight chroeo is excellent and the finale is incredible. That was to be expected.

The setup and pacing for the opening third is just enough meta ness about a badass actor thinking he's a real fighter that it kind of feels cliche. I also wasn't feeling a few of the early fights that relied a lot in holding guys hostage to keep from being shot at. But then
there's a 4 layer deep segment of first Tak complaining action is like dancing and he doesn't like it, a director getting in his face about this, him seeing a director specifically directing people to dance as they do action like it's ballet, AND THEN the incredible Claire de lune / reborn flashlight fight. I couldn't believe it when debussy dropped and that was the moment I knew the movie knew exactly what it was doing. All the twists from there on out where just a lot of fun, I won't discuss until more people see this

Also is the final fight sped up or are those guys just that fast? Good lord

Edit it was also funny to see it specifically send up the Kenshin movies that I love

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 15, 2024

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

trevorreznik posted:

Oh poo poo! I finally caught Versus and didn't like it all that much, but I see that One-Percent Warrior (search for that on hoopla, but for one-percenter on justwatch), Bad City and Hydra are all on hoopla. Time for a marathon.

Ah, that's a bummer. I love Versus. It's such a really dumb good time. It's indie as heck and so over the top.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Whenever I think of great western fights its hard to top Deadwood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em7I41ew8C8&t=9s

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Does the underwater saloon fight in top secret count?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I loved that Dan spent the next few episodes in a ptsd induced stupor. What a great and confusing show.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I never really liked that Deadwood fight. It seemed to come from the school of 'realism' meaning 'people are bad at fighting'

I think there has to be a comfortable middle ground between very choreographed stuff and the Deadwood fight.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Snowman_McK posted:

I never really liked that Deadwood fight. It seemed to come from the school of 'realism' meaning 'people are bad at fighting'

I think there has to be a comfortable middle ground between very choreographed stuff and the Deadwood fight.

It's the best showcase of two walruses fighting.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ty thread for getting me to watch the original Road House. Really unique piece of wacky American machoism, and I totally failed to realize how amazing Swayze is for most of my life.

I do think it kinda drags in the second half; seeing the progress of the bar as Dalton fixes it up is just so engaging and I dunno, I feel like it shouldn't get sidelined so hard. But the fight with Jimmy is amazing, and I had no idea how hard MacGruber was influenced by this single movie

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Swayze is so compelling in Point Break. A real talent.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Snowman_McK posted:

I mean Deadwood is set in the 1870s when dodging blows had only recently been invented and all the cool martial arts wouldn't leave Asia until almost a century later..

It was all very goofy.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Midnight Pooptrain posted:

Swayze is so compelling in Point Break. A real talent.

I think his Bodie and Dalton characters were a lot like he was irl. That xen thing.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Martman posted:

I do think it kinda drags in the second half; seeing the progress of the bar as Dalton fixes it up is just so engaging and I dunno, I feel like it shouldn't get sidelined so hard.

Maybe a good point, but I still laughed really hard when we finally saw what Dalton's work amounted to: A garish neon nightmare of big hair and big shoulders, with everybody drinking coke or possibly pepsi while being really wholesome in an extremely late 80's way. The whole process reminded me of Sim City or some such, you just gotta have the right conditions for your extremely Yuppie club and the crowd will pour in. Never mind that this is supposedly a lovely little town on the rear end-end of nowhere, if you build it they will come.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There was a historical tradition of deadly hand to hand duels going all the way back to colonial Virginia. They often ended with someone getting an eyeball ripped out, it was practically tradition. It’s hard to say what kind of formal boxing and wrestling training guys like that might have had.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Halloween Jack posted:

There was a historical tradition of deadly hand to hand duels going all the way back to colonial Virginia. They often ended with someone getting an eyeball ripped out, it was practically tradition. It’s hard to say what kind of formal boxing and wrestling training guys like that might have had.

I actually spent like half an hour the other day trying to find some random article I had read about that. And I did like the deadwood fight, thought it was pretty realistic in how nasty it was.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

I mean Deadwood is set in the 1870s when dodging blows had only recently been invented and all the cool martial arts wouldn't leave Asia until almost a century later..

It was all very goofy.

I more meant it as a general point I guess. There's a whole school of though that I've encountered many times that looks at any fight where the participants are intstantly exhausted and constantly clumsy and goes 'ah, yes, this is realism'

My theory of styles of movie action comes down to rhythm. Shaw Bros style has a very distinct rhythm, which is distinct from Jackie Chan, or Bruce Lee or Tony Jaa's rhythm and so on. A common rhythm in American action is that of pro-wrestling. A single big hit or brief exchange, followed by showing how very much that hurt, selling the shot by writhing in pain. In a live performance, it lets the performers reset, maintain their energy levels, check for injuries and so on. The Deadwood fight is very much from that school but without any of the hits really feeling that big. They also cut a lot which is a weird choice

Also Dan getting the leverage he needed to pull the guys eye out from where he was was almost impossible so it's not even realistic from a mechanical perspective

Maybe I just heard the fight talked up too much before I saw it. It's the bathouse fight in Eastern Promises all over again.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Judo came to America in 1902 my friend!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Judo came to America in 1902 my friend!

That's Still 30 years after that scene takes place.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

FreudianSlippers posted:

That's Still 30 years after that scene takes place.

I know but you said nearly 100 years and I could try to make a pedantic argument but...look man I just wanted to name drop judo, I'm a judo simp. Let me have my fun!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Martman posted:

I do think it kinda drags in the second half; seeing the progress of the bar as Dalton fixes it up is just so engaging and I dunno, I feel like it shouldn't get sidelined so hard.

Yeah that's pretty much my take too. It was kind of weird it was trying to build something with one of the waitresses and then she shows up on stage once to sing and then she more or less disappears.

In hindsight I also realised how white the movie was.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Man I love John Woo but holy poo poo Silent Night was dire. Like he took the first 2 minutes of Faceoff and dragged it out for 90 minutes and added a few action scenes. Just a really bad movie

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

B-Rock452 posted:

Man I love John Woo but holy poo poo Silent Night was dire. Like he took the first 2 minutes of Faceoff and dragged it out for 90 minutes and added a few action scenes. Just a really bad movie

i appreciated it sticking to its gimmick but the payoff (ten minutes of decent but not great shootouts) was not worth spending an entire movie building to. Needed to be much more evently paced.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

B-Rock452 posted:

I actually spent like half an hour the other day trying to find some random article I had read about that. And I did like the deadwood fight, thought it was pretty realistic in how nasty it was.
Look for the phrase "rough and tumble" in outlets that discuss early American history, that's the ticket.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

B-Rock452 posted:

Also very racially coded in that classic repugnant SUBURBAN MAN SNAPS sorta way, I was just like wow these cholos are straight out of the 90s

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Also very racially coded in that classic repugnant SUBURBAN MAN SNAPS sorta way, I was just like wow these cholos are straight out of the 90s

Yeah I legit wouldn't be shocked to see scenes from this movie cut into some MAGA ad. Gave me just a lovely feeling after watching it. Kind of angry I paid money for it to be honest.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Hundreds of Beavers lives up to the hype. My kid and I loved it, funniest movie I've seen in years with tons of great slapstick moments. The sound effects throughout were perfect as well. There's so many absurd scenes

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

trevorreznik posted:

Hundreds of Beavers lives up to the hype. My kid and I loved it, funniest movie I've seen in years with tons of great slapstick moments. The sound effects throughout were perfect as well. There's so many absurd scenes
:hai: I thought I'd find it obnoxious but it's so creative and dynamic and chock full of gags and fun videogamey/looney tunes vibes.
Def try to catch it in theaters if you can, very limited release around me and I live in socal!!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Look for the phrase "rough and tumble" in outlets that discuss early American history, that's the ticket.

Lol these articles go hard

quote:

But even rough and tumble had its rules, the most important being that weapons were strictly forbidden. The fight generally ended when one of the fighters either shouted “Enough!” or passed out.7 When the men agreed to fight “no holts barred,” all fighting techniques were permitted. Before the fight, an improvised ring was formed by the spectators and the contestants partially or completely stripped. The fight would usually start with fists but soon, there would follow “agory struggle in which every human faculty might be brought into use.”8 Among the acceptable techniques were scratching, pinching, biting, throttling, gouging and, as Isaac Weld, an Irish explorer observed in his Travels Through the States of North America (1799), castration. He noted that “what is worse than all, these wretches in their combat endeavor to their utmost to tear out each other’s testicles.

quote:

Gorn calls gouging “the sine qua non of rough and tumble fighting, much like the knockout punch in modern boxing.”11 Among all the mentioned techniques, gouging out an opponent’s eye was the most well-known and its popularity was attested by the presence of numerous one-eyed men along the Appalachian frontier. Gouging one’s eye was simply the most secure way to victory and at the same time, the most prestigious accomplishment of the fighter, when prominent gougers were celebrated in the rich oral folklore of Appalachia.

quote:

Thomas Anburey, the author of Travels Through the Interior Parts of America (1789), who wrote that “an English boxing match, though a disgrace to a polished nation, is humanity itself, compared with the Virginian mode of fighting,”12 claimed that experienced gougers kept the nails of both thumbs and index fingers very long and pointed, they hardened them over a candle to prevent them from breaking and oiled them slick. This entire preparation enabled the gougers to remove an opponent’s eye more easily.13 As to the technique itself, Isaac Weld offers an authentic description in his Travels Through the States: “Whenever these people come to blows, they fight just like wild beasts, biting, kicking, and endeavoring to tear each other’s eyes out with their nails. It is by no means uncommon to meet with those who have lost an eye in a combat, and there are men who pride themselves upon the dexterity with which they can scoop one out. This is called gouging. To perform the horrid operation, the combatant twists his forefingers in the side locks of his adversary’s hair, and then applies his thumbs to the bottom of the eye, to force it out of the socket.”14 He adds that in North Carolina and Georgia, people are more depraved than in Virginia, and in some parts of these states, every third or fourth man appears without an eye. !

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/321974586_Eye-gouging_in_Antebellum_Popular_Fiction

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

quote:

as Isaac Weld, an Irish explorer observed in his Travels Through the States of North America (1799), castration
Ye olde dick-twist

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

This puts Road House's throat ripping in good company

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I guess the ol bit of common of sense, "never get into a fight with a stranger because they might have a knife [instead of a thumbnail]", has always held true

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
If a dude has one eye, or at least an eyepatch, is he probably a good or terrible fighter?

Please answer soon my friends are saying he besmirched my honor.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Holy poo poo Fatal Termination (1990) is crazy.

Not only are many of the stunts downright amazing some of them are actually immoral. They dangle a small child by her hair out of a moving vehicle. In several different close-up and wide shots.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Remulak posted:

If a dude has one eye, or at least an eyepatch, is he probably a good or terrible fighter?

Please answer soon my friends are saying he besmirched my honor.

only thing you can be sure of is poor depth perception

so I guess throw things at them

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

FreudianSlippers posted:

Holy poo poo Fatal Termination (1990) is crazy.

Not only are many of the stunts downright amazing some of them are actually immoral. They dangle a small child by her hair out of a moving vehicle. In several different close-up and wide shots.

If you look at it the metal pole in the sleeve holding the child, the harness at her back and undercranking become clear but the stunt is so outrageous there is just rage at first on how they dare put this child in such danger.
But it's still way too dangerous to de done in any place with actual laws, there are some very short stunt performers who specialize in doubling kids but this was obviously a child not supposed to be in such a scene. Apparently the stunt was demonstrated with an adult in that contraption to show it was safe enough.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yeah I suspected the arm "holding" her was being assisted since there's no way it was just the dude being that still and straight but she was still just barely off the ground and very obviously not very happy about it.*

The token white guy who dangles her is my favourite character in the film. Looks like a Carny Hulk Hogan classic big buff dude the hero doesn't seem to be able to hurt.

*Though with kids who knows. Maybe she had a blast and is just a really good actress who was still being endangered.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Saw the new Road House. I enjoyed it but it's not without its flaws. I'm still kinda processing my thoughts on it but I honestly didn't think I'd like it as much as I did. It pales in comparison to the original but I didn't think it was a car wreck or anything.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

Also watched the new Road House, I don't remember the first one being this funny? They should have just gone full action comedy, it's 90% of the way there already. I was surprised, I lol'd a bunch of times.

Then it gets dark when Dalton kills that dude and puts his corpse on ice so he can frame the cop. I don't remember the first one having a scene like that either but I could be wrong, been a while since I've seen it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They smartly make Dalton a different sort of character. Swayze plays him as a warrior-poet with a worldview that keeps him cool and detached on the job. "It's just a job" is what he says to the bouncers when he gets to the Double Deuce and that's all the place and town are to him. He only fights when things escalate to the point where reason is no longer an option. When he does fight he does just enough so they can throw the rowdy folks out the door. This whole worldview he built up around himself crumbles when people he cares about start getting hurt or dying and the town he adopted starts getting burned down. Then you see him as he could be: tearing out throats and icing goons like it was easy as breathing. "No one wins in a fight" is just a motto for a job, but it doesn't apply outside that job. There are winners in losers in conflict and while it is a failure of diplomacy when a fight breaks out sometimes force needs to be met with greater force. The villain of the original showed us through the entire film that this was always going to be the case.

New film spoilers: Dalton in this film isn't a consummate profession nor a warrior-poet. He's a berserker. He put up all these walls around him and de-escalates not because he's a professional but because he's afraid of letting the beast out. He uses necessary and precise force to end fights before they begin. But as elements start showing up where he can't do that, cracks begin to form in that wall until towards the end where it crumbles. He, like the original's Dalton, can kill as easy as breathing but unlike the original, he's not in control of that violence. He uses "No one wins a fight" in this film but it has a different meaning. It's general concept of the film. Unlike the original, things don't escalate because Dalton is there except maybe in the double deuce. However in the new film things escalate because Dalton is there. He fought back and people around him start getting hurt and their establishments trashed even harder. In the end, the villains are defeated and those affected can rebuild everything but no one really won. It was all bittersweet.

It's also why Dalton moves on instead of moves in. He left with what he came to town with except with a few extra bucks an a lot more scars. The biggest failing of the film, for me, was Conor McGregor's character. In the original, Marshal Teague's character is a dark reflection of Dalton. A consummate profession with a worldview that keeps him violent and angry. He enjoys the violence while keeping it to the job. That guy's worldview cracks when he decides to stick around and try to kill Dalton then gets his throat ripped out for the effort. McGregor's character, Knox, is too over-the-top. He has no worldview. He's just chaos with no humanity, so you can't grasp where he comes from. He's not a dark reflection of Dalton because Dalton isn't an over-the-top psycho - when Dalton loses control he doesn't go on a rampage, he just does what he did before only instead of hurting to de-escalate he just ices people. McGregor's character would have worked better if he were more like Dalton and did have to get pushed to do the ultra violence, then he'd work better. You could still keep the over-the-top chaos violence but you'd see the character before they get to that point, much like you see Dalton before he lets the beast out. They should have combined his character with Billy Magnussen's Brandt. His character gets pushed really hard in this film by Dalton but it's established that his goons come up with the idea to do all the violence and destruction and McGregor's character is called in by his father whom we never see and only hear from a phone speaker for a moment. It would have worked a whole lot better.

Still, I think a lot of folks here may like the new film, even those who thought the trailer looked bad. Definitely differentiates itself from the original enough to justify its existence.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah the new Road House is good but there are no throat rips