Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Tart Kitty posted:

I can't even tell you how many times I've seen the movie and I still find myself blown away by the fact that the theatrical cut is as long as it is. And I'm not saying that's a bad thing - it's just that ambitious action films have a bad habit of getting hacked to pieces in editing to meet an "acceptable" runtime a lot of the time.

Once genre pictures cross that 2-hour threshold, it’s easy for them to become flabby, but Face/Off it edited like a dream. Last time I watched it, I was stunned that it took 40 minutes for Sean to get to the island prison, it felt like way less time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Tart Kitty posted:

I can't even tell you how many times I've seen the movie and I still find myself blown away by the fact that the theatrical cut is as long as it is. And I'm not saying that's a bad thing - it's just that ambitious action films have a bad habit of getting hacked to pieces in editing to meet an "acceptable" runtime a lot of the time.

I know rough bootlegs with temp score from other movies exists but I still dream of Stallone's 130 minute cut of Cobra becoming officially restored and available at some point. Just because, like, drat. It was originally rated X before being cut significantly for violence and for time, what we got is only 84 minutes so that's like a huge difference. Most of the reason they cut it though was so they could get an extra showing a day in theaters.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Once genre pictures cross that 2-hour threshold, it’s easy for them to become flabby, but Face/Off it edited like a dream. Last time I watched it, I was stunned that it took 40 minutes for Sean to get to the island prison, it felt like way less time.

For real, I loving LOVE Face/Off.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Holy cow if you'd asked me I would have said it happens around 20 minutes in.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
That Face/Off is all resolved with a kick to the balls makes it all the sweeter.

It is a dope movie. Every time I put it on I'm surprised how well it's aged. Time has not been kind to a lot of my childhood favourites, but Face/Off could be released tomorrow and would still look good.

Also, the bald guy is amazing. "Hey, Sean, how's your dead son? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
That bald dude directed The Notebook.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Disposable Scud posted:

That bald dude directed The Notebook.

No loving way. You are loving right. He's also the son of John Cassavetes. What a weird thing.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Bunny from The Wire is the guy who tells Sean about the face swapping surgery, and Frank Sobotka helps Sean escape from the prison, it’s a weird as hell cast.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCyEX6u-Yhs

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I have no idea what's going on. Other than they need to protect someone new.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah with old Arnold and the mesh kind of Terminator I, I guess Genisys is still a thing? Crazy.

I will say I am excited to see this because I'm a huge Terminator mark, and even if it sucks it will still be 10,000 times better than Salvation.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
At least Salvation tried some poo poo, Genisys was just so soulless and this one feels like it's going to be similar.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Holy Christ I loving HATE Salvation, that's one of the few movies that kind of evokes anger in me.

Like pretend you don't know anything about McG or Salvation and how it turned out or anything, and someone came up to you and was like:

Hey everyone a new Terminator movie is coming out with a huge budget and a ton of practical effects instead of just CG but it will also have great CG and it takes place entirely in the future war and is about young Kyle Reese and how John Connor is leading the resistance and we'll see the various evolutions of SkyNet's robots and stuff and it has Christian Bale, Anton Yelchin, Common, Michael Ironside, and Terry Crews in it and is being written to serve as both a reboot and a prequel and a sequel simultaneously. :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa:

What a loving waste.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

At least Salvation tried some poo poo, Genisys was just so soulless and this one feels like it's going to be similar.

I feel the opposite, I feel like Genisys, while not good, did try some poo poo, it just didn't go far enough with what it tried. Plus I gotta say it's the only Terminator movie with generally not great special effects for the time it was released, like drat that entire part with the bus. :laffo: (still the part where SkyJohnNetConnor is walking away from the MRI and leaving like nanomachine shadows behind him each step was genuinely striking and a cool new thing to see). I still liked it more than Salvation though which was just horribly made on every level except for the effects. Genisys fell into "it's just fine" territory for me, I only watched it once.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah with old Arnold and the mesh kind of Terminator I, I guess Genisys is still a thing? Crazy.

Genisys certainly isn't supposed to be a thing. This is supposed to ignore everthing post T2. I'm guessing they borrow the old Arnold stuff from it, explaining it again, but ignore the whole "John went full Skynet" part?

Like I said, I'm more confused than before I watched it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Genisys certainly isn't supposed to be a thing. This is supposed to ignore everthing post T2. I'm guessing they borrow the old Arnold stuff from it, explaining it again, but ignore the whole "John went full Skynet" part?

Like I said, I'm more confused than before I watched it.

LOL if the future of the franchise is a constant stream of reboots that each spend half the movie re-explaining why Old Arnold is a thing.

But for real like, if it ignores everything after Terminator 2, like, WOW I'm looking forward to seeing how they have that play out.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Time is a lucrative circle.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Genisys had Arnold in a prominent role, so I can't hate it for that. This looks mostly like a cameo, which I'm not super excited about. The shot right before the end of the trailer with two robots fighting underwater is probably Arnold's terminator. I suspect he will lose his likeness and be a cgi fight.
Arnold is 71, so I can't not see it. Sorry for having bad taste, but I need every movie out of this dude I can get.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Firstborn posted:

Genisys had Arnold in a prominent role, so I can't hate it for that. This looks mostly like a cameo, which I'm not super excited about. The shot right before the end of the trailer with two robots fighting underwater is probably Arnold's terminator. I suspect he will lose his likeness and be a cgi fight.
Arnold is 71, so I can't not see it. Sorry for having bad taste, but I need every movie out of this dude I can get.

I wouldn't be so sure about how much screen time he's gonna get. For one, he's recently turned down roles for that reason, not enough screen time(The Predator). Second, it looks like this is one of those trailers that really is only taking footage from one relatively small stretch of the actual film. Outside of a quick flashes of different stuff, for the most part we're only seeing the stuff from that one chase on the highway and what happens immediately after.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I wouldn't be so sure about how much screen time he's gonna get. For one, he's recently turned down roles for that reason, not enough screen time(The Predator). Second, it looks like this is one of those trailers that really is only taking footage from one relatively small stretch of the actual film. Outside of a quick flashes of different stuff, for the most part we're only seeing the stuff from that one chase on the highway and what happens immediately after.

This would make sense since after how people reacted to the Genisys trailer they'd want to keep more of the story under wraps.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Snowman_McK posted:

That Face/Off is all resolved with a kick to the balls makes it all the sweeter.

It is a dope movie. Every time I put it on I'm surprised how well it's aged. Time has not been kind to a lot of my childhood favourites, but Face/Off could be released tomorrow and would still look good.

Also, the bald guy is amazing. "Hey, Sean, how's your dead son? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

The part where Travolta interrogates one of the bald dude's cronies always cracks me up.

"Christ, what's that smell??"

"He poo poo his pants."

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Basebf555 posted:

I hope you're right!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Salvation is my favourite Terminator after the second one, because it looks great. Tim Miller seems to be able to direct stuff that looks great, which is all I care about.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Halloween Jack posted:

Salvation is my favourite Terminator after the second one, because it looks great. Tim Miller seems to be able to direct stuff that looks great, which is all I care about.

Salvation is pretty good as long as it's staying the gently caress away from John Connor. Which is why I wish Christian Bale had never been cast. Once he had, they added a bunch of scenes where he's just sitting around, listening to tapes and complaining. Anton Yelchin was a fantastic Reese, and I wish we'd spent more time with him (Sam Worthington notwithstanding).

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Neo Rasa posted:

I feel the opposite, I feel like Genisys, while not good, did try some poo poo, it just didn't go far enough with what it tried. Plus I gotta say it's the only Terminator movie with generally not great special effects for the time it was released, like drat that entire part with the bus. :laffo: (still the part where SkyJohnNetConnor is walking away from the MRI and leaving like nanomachine shadows behind him each step was genuinely striking and a cool new thing to see). I still liked it more than Salvation though which was just horribly made on every level except for the effects. Genisys fell into "it's just fine" territory for me, I only watched it once.

Every time I see something about Genisys, I remember those awful promo pictures they released.

lol

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Why would they add the muzzle flare on the pictures where the gun is pointing directly into the ground like 5 feet in front of them lol

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I don't know.

I think I remember reading how someone wanted promo pictures before they had really done anything on the movie, so they gave the cast guns and had them walking around on pavement.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

Anton Yelchin was a fantastic Reese, and I wish we'd spent more time with him (Sam Worthington notwithstanding).
How is Sam Worthington not perfect for his role? He's the most anodyne actor imaginable.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Bogus Adventure posted:

Every time I see something about Genisys, I remember those awful promo pictures they released.

lol

Entertainment Weekly and Empire both, like, they have a gift. Look up their Days of Future Past stuff or cover for Fury Road, like they have people going out of their way to make the movies and characters seem as absolutely stupid and not like something you'd want to watch as possible. It's genuinely impressive and these Genisys photos are still the cream of the crop of this crap.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The budget for Genisys was about $150 million. These look like promo for an Asylum film shot at a disused quarry.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Halloween Jack posted:

How is Sam Worthington not perfect for his role? He's the most anodyne actor imaginable.

I just can't care about him at all. When he's onscreen, I struggle to keep paying attention. My eyes just drift off of him looking for anything else to lock on to.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

thrawn527 posted:

I just can't care about him at all. When he's onscreen, I struggle to keep paying attention. My eyes just drift off of him looking for anything else to lock on to.

Exactly. He embodies that role

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Sam Worthington is good in Sabotage.

I also liked him in the Unabomber miniseries, but there's a really funny aspect where his character being from Philly and pronouncing water as "wudder" is important to the case. Worthington's American accent is all over the loving map.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

My eyes just drift off of him looking for anything else to lock on to.
That's because he was designed in a lab to play the lead in movies based on video games. You're supposed to be looking over his shoulder at the Brute he's shooting.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Neo Rasa posted:

Entertainment Weekly and Empire both, like, they have a gift. Look up their Days of Future Past stuff or cover for Fury Road, like they have people going out of their way to make the movies and characters seem as absolutely stupid and not like something you'd want to watch as possible. It's genuinely impressive and these Genisys photos are still the cream of the crop of this crap.

Oh poo poo, I never saw the Days of Future Past ones, lmao

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Man, I remember when Empire used to be good and irreverent and not afraid to pop the bubble of stars who were huffing their own farts. (It ripped into Richard Gere's diva behaviour on First Knight with an article titled "...And The Horse You Rode In On.") I stopped reading around the time of a stupendously crawling interview with John Cusack that had an extended and unironic description of the beauty of his eyelashes, and since then it seems to have turned into Superhero Movie Monthly.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Genisys was the movie that clued me into the fact that Emilia Clarke is just a really bad actor .

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Narzack posted:

Genisys was the movie that clued me into the fact that Emilia Clarke is just a really bad actor .

She had to act across Jai Courtney, cut her a little bit of slack.

I have never watched Game of Thrones, I have no idea if she can act. She was fine in Solo, I guess.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The best part of Genisys was Arnold and Jai Courtney reloading clips set to a Ramones song. Everything else was just ehhhhhh. Even JK Simmons as the unlucky shrink, how do you gently caress that up!

Halloween Jack posted:

Salvation is my favourite Terminator after the second one, because it looks great.

:shittypop:

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

She had to act across Jai Courtney, cut her a little bit of slack.

I have never watched Game of Thrones, I have no idea if she can act. She was fine in Solo, I guess.

I read the books, and only made it through 2.5 seasons of the show. Her scenes were so bad and boring that anytime she came on screen, I would alt-tab out to do something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

I know rough bootlegs with temp score from other movies exists but I still dream of Stallone's 130 minute cut of Cobra becoming officially restored and available at some point. Just because, like, drat. It was originally rated X before being cut significantly for violence and for time, what we got is only 84 minutes so that's like a huge difference. Most of the reason they cut it though was so they could get an extra showing a day in theaters.

I didn't realize Stallone was a goon and avid reader of this thread:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3563114/sylvester-stallone-says-hes-trying-bring-back-cobra-potential-tv-series/