Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

random question, I always wondered in Hong Kong action movies from the 80s-90s, when they had random white dudes show up did they speak fluent cantonese or was it dubbed

They are dubbed, as most HK movies until late 90's-00's sound was all in post. I remember reading(maybe in Bordwell's Planet Hong Kong?) that often Cantonese dialog spoken by white character were just done by natives putting on silly accents.

Edit: Also white foreigners, especially British, did not bother to ever learn Cantonese even if they lived in HK.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Aug 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
The technical answer to the question is that they were dubbed, because everyone was dubbed, because Hong Kong movies were shot without sound. This is a common way of shooting on location cheaply.

One of the more charming things about Hong Kong movies is that they were famous for grabbing whatever random dudes were willing to be in a movie for a couple of bucks to play the gwailo bad guys. I mean like tourists and businessmen, whoever was around, I don't know if they even asked if they'd acted before, they certainly didn't ask if they spoke Cantonese. I think this is still the case.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I noticed on Scott Adkins' wikipedia page that Accident Man 2 is listed as "completed" which hopefully means its coming out soon.

He also has another Isaac Florentine joint called Seized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha6_UeCuiIo

It looks like sort of a cross between Taken and John Wick, with loving Mario van Peebles as the villain.

As far as I can tell its slated for release in October.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I’m watching Nighthawks and it’s pretty decent. The subway chase and how they use Manhattan is pretty awesome. Stallone isn’t an action star so to speak here but his look and performance I like quite a bit and Billy Dee Williams is cool too.

It’s late 70s/early 80s tackling terrorism.

Edit: holy loving lmao the conclusion

Gatts fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 15, 2020

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

dokmo posted:

The technical answer to the question is that they were dubbed, because everyone was dubbed, because Hong Kong movies were shot without sound. This is a common way of shooting on location cheaply.

One of the more charming things about Hong Kong movies is that they were famous for grabbing whatever random dudes were willing to be in a movie for a couple of bucks to play the gwailo bad guys. I mean like tourists and businessmen, whoever was around, I don't know if they even asked if they'd acted before, they certainly didn't ask if they spoke Cantonese. I think this is still the case.

Not quite the same but when my grandparents were teaching English in China in the late 80s/early 90s, a movie rolled into town and picked out my grandfather (one of the few Westerners in the city) to be in the film. It was something of a disaster movie about plucky Chinese engineers stopping a dam collapse or some such, my grandfather played the arrogant Russian dam expert who poo poohs our heroes initially.

He never even knew the films name, and my family have really tried to track it down but sadly we've never been able to. He never acted again.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I've been working my way through the nemesis films and, goddamn, number 4 is extremely horny. Some great dialogue, too, 'you wanted to cyber gently caress me' is an real stand out.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

a lovely king posted:

Not quite the same but when my grandparents were teaching English in China in the late 80s/early 90s, a movie rolled into town and picked out my grandfather (one of the few Westerners in the city) to be in the film. It was something of a disaster movie about plucky Chinese engineers stopping a dam collapse or some such, my grandfather played the arrogant Russian dam expert who poo poohs our heroes initially.

He never even knew the films name, and my family have really tried to track it down but sadly we've never been able to. He never acted again.

I tried asking the ID thread about a movie that was supposedly number 1 in china in recent weeks that was talked about on NPR and got nothing, so yeah good luck

If the Wandering Earth is any indication the Chinese still have a chip on their shoulder about Russia being big red brother

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Grendels Dad posted:

Bernhardt is also an Agent in the second Matrix movie, I think he's even the "Hm, upgrades!" guy. It was fun realizing Keanu likes to work with him and their scene in Matrix 2 is pretty fun.

Bum move not to post a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vm2QcWVEqU

Seeing Bernhardt in the Birds of Prey movie you're like "oh it's this guy, there's going to be a fight scene" and then nope he gets disabled right away so you think "ok he's going to get revenge later" and then lol, nope, he gets it even worse later. Not sure if that was intentional as it seems like a tease or fake-out for a pretty niche audience. Do actors count as Chekhov's guns?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Lobok posted:

Seeing Bernhardt in the Birds of Prey movie you're like "oh it's this guy, there's going to be a fight scene" and then nope he gets disabled right away so you think "ok he's going to get revenge later" and then lol, nope, he gets it even worse later. Not sure if that was intentional as it seems like a tease or fake-out for a pretty niche audience. Do actors count as Chekhov's guns?

Star wars 7 was incredibly egregious about this

Hell, so was master z in wasting Tony jaa

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I rewatched The Crow recently and it holds up surprisingly well and is really enjoyable from top to bottom with some cracking characters. Soundtrack also owns super hard.

And I agree with the above spoiler.

The Crow is completely earnest in its melodrama which is really refreshing after years of detached, irony drenched action/comedy movies.

Batman vs Superman feels like sort of a spiritual successor to the Crow in that it’s similarly dark and moody, unapologetic about its weirdness, and completely sincere.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lobok posted:

Given Chad Stahelski did second unit on it and handled 95% of the action, I'm gonna take a guess that it was a deliberate joke, because Stahelski would have absolutely been playing to that niche audience

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Given Chad Stahelski did second unit on it and handled 95% of the action, I'm gonna take a guess that it was a deliberate joke, because Stahelski would have absolutely been playing to that niche audience

Oh, well then yeah. I agree. Also I just realized while thinking about it that Bernhardt never even stands up in the movie. The sweetest gig he's ever had in an action film.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

mastershakeman posted:

Captain Marvel

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

mastershakeman posted:

Scott Adkins got to fight Doctor Strange... in a lame float-y game of astral grab-rear end.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Gatts posted:

I’m watching Nighthawks and it’s pretty decent. The subway chase and how they use Manhattan is pretty awesome. Stallone isn’t an action star so to speak here but his look and performance I like quite a bit and Billy Dee Williams is cool too.

It’s late 70s/early 80s tackling terrorism.

Edit: holy loving lmao the conclusion

I had never heard of Nighthawks until the Action Boyz podcast covered it (and I'm a movie buff! :classiclol:) and I watched it on Netflix. Truly owns and deserves to be more well-known. Rutger Hauer is super mesmerizing and committed to the part. Persis Khambatta was really good as well.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I've been watching a fair few low/zero budget action films recently, and what's great about them is their very inconsistent production values. The Nemesis films have some really great prosthetic work mixed into their 'everything takes place in the same ruined motal' productions, 'Cocaine Wars' has a really great riot scene, Hands of Steel, a cheap italian terminator knock off, has some genuinely super impressive helicopter work, amusingly mirroring some of the chases in Terminator 2 a few years later.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Adkins has a new episode up with Mark Dacascos and it's as charming as you imagine it to be.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Adkins has a new episode up with Mark Dacascos and it's as charming as you imagine it to be.

He is exactly the same guy in real life as he is in John Wick, it's amazing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

dokmo posted:

My guess is a lot of that stuff was his own addition because he mentions that he read the script and then got permission from Stahleski to play around with the character a little bit.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

dokmo posted:

That's exactly what I thought as well. I am really just hoping the series ends with Keanu Reeves coming on and asking Scott to be his partner in the next two John Wick movies

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Snowman_McK posted:

I've been watching a fair few low/zero budget action films recently, and what's great about them is their very inconsistent production values. The Nemesis films have some really great prosthetic work mixed into their 'everything takes place in the same ruined motal' productions, 'Cocaine Wars' has a really great riot scene, Hands of Steel, a cheap italian terminator knock off, has some genuinely super impressive helicopter work, amusingly mirroring some of the chases in Terminator 2 a few years later.
Some B-studio movies from the 70s and 80s had amazing car stunts, especially considering that they only had one chance to get it right and were often working very dangerously. It seems like it was kind of an obligation, if you were doing a low-budget cop film, to set aside enough money for a good car chase and then a boat or a helicopter towards the end.

I sat down to watch The Heroin Busters and it has some awesome foot chases that would have been called "parkour action" if it had come out in the past decade, including one where the hero gets chased through a subway by a goon on a motorcycle.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Snowman_McK posted:

Hands of Steel, a cheap italian terminator knock off, has some genuinely super impressive helicopter work, amusingly mirroring some of the chases in Terminator 2 a few years later.

Unfortunately these low budget movies do spectacular scenes at a high, different kind of cost.

quote:

Actor Claudio Cassinelli died in Page, Arizona during production as he was on a helicopter that crashed into the Navajo Bridge.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CeeJee posted:

Unfortunately these low budget movies do spectacular scenes at a high, different kind of cost.

i had read about that. And John Saxon only wasn't killed since, due to being a union actor, he refused to film anything non-union in the states, only shooting in italy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

CeeJee posted:

It's amazing that PM Entertainment and Cannon didn't kill at least a dozen people.

Wrong thread, but I read a long Fangoria article about the making of Zombi 3. They paid a lot of Filipino extras a pittance to do a lot of running around and jumping from high places, and there were a lot of injuries.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

It's amazing that PM Entertainment and Cannon didn't kill at least a dozen people.

Wrong thread, but I read a long Fangoria article about the making of Zombi 3. They paid a lot of Filipino extras a pittance to do a lot of running around and jumping from high places, and there were a lot of injuries.

There's a documentary on film making in the phillipines, since a lot of z-level productions filmed there (and apocalypse now) and holy poo poo it's really just colonialist mentality but the end result is titty filled kung fu movies instead of the spice trade. It's called machete maidens unleashed. It's actually really good an interesting.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

machete maidens unleashed. It's actually really good an interesting.

the guy that made that made two other docs on other interesting corners of movie making: Not Quite Hollywood: The Wild, Untold Story of Ozploitation! and Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

dokmo posted:

the guy that made that made two other docs on other interesting corners of movie making: Not Quite Hollywood: The Wild, Untold Story of Ozploitation! and Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films

I've seen all three of those and it doesn't surprise me that they were made the same guy. They're all absolutely top notch.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Just found out about the existence of brand new movie One Night in Bangkok from a Todd Gaines review on Letterboxd, starring Mark Dacascos and Kane Kosugi. This one goes straight to the top of my list, once I figure out the earliest way to be able to see it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Boco_T posted:

Just found out about the existence of brand new movie One Night in Bangkok from a Todd Gaines review on Letterboxd, starring Mark Dacascos and Kane Kosugi. This one goes straight to the top of my list, once I figure out the earliest way to be able to see it.

Kane Kosugi is awesome. His fight with Adkins is a stand out even in the excellent 'Ninja 2: Ninja Harder'

Speaking of which...Legacy of Lies...what a weird movie. It starts out gunfight, fist fight, gunfight, fist fight, but forgets all of that in the second half. The kid actor was terrific though, i hope she's got a good and long career ahead of her.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Snowman_McK posted:

Speaking of Brandon Lee, go watch Rapid Fire. It's loving dope.

I liked the Mortal Kombat movie well enough, too bad Brandon didn't live to star in it - that was his vehicle all the way.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

mllaneza posted:

I liked the Mortal Kombat movie well enough, too bad Brandon didn't live to star in it - that was his vehicle all the way.

Would have been weird to see him star in a remake of Enter the Dragon though...

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

mllaneza posted:

He was actually a really solid actor. All his movies, even as they're mostly silly action films, have at least a decent amount of emotional nuance to them. Even Rapid Fire, which is about the mafia vs. karate.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Boco_T posted:

release date is the 25th, so you don't have to wait too long.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol for Adkins fans visit the Youtube page for this vid and check the pinned comment :o: I hope he does make an appearance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbxF-s5dvCQ

The CC team did some more Adkins stuff and this time it's a proper look at some of his better work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEXEKq7qTlA&t=591s

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The CC team did some more Adkins stuff and this time it's a proper look at some of his better work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEXEKq7qTlA&t=591s

Holy poo poo. If you don't watch this for whatever reason, know that they shot that extended, insane, fantastic bar fight at the end of Avengement (which is some of Adkins' best work, for my money) in two loving days.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
I love how they wouldn’t let him do the little flip but it was ok to throw him through a wall hahaha. I am so happy you guys introduced me to Scott Adkins I didn’t realize he was in so many amazing movies dude deserves a loving lifetime achievement award.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

jase1 posted:

I am so happy you guys introduced me to Scott Adkins I didn’t realize he was in so many amazing movies dude deserves a loving lifetime achievement award.
Right? The street fight from Debt Collectors is my favorite action sequence of 2020. Runner-up would be the final shootout in Bad Boys for Life.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Man, Avengement is so drat good

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I was honestly surprised such a seemingly charming, affable man such as Scott could look like he was in his element playing an absolute psycho. Avengement is good poo poo. Need to make a point of watching Debt Collectors soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Yesss...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNrZriuHKpU