Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

dokmo posted:

I enjoyed this, this is much better than the usual martial artists react to movie fights videos.

Yeah, I really enjoyed that too. Especially the extended dive on the veracity of claw hammer unzippering! :buddy:

e: Some Iko for new page!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp1xEIYckj0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Can anyone recommend some good recent American revenge flicks

Something like Taken, Death Sentence, death wish etc etc.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Chas McGill posted:

I really like it. Definitely my favourite of his Western movies cos it has heart and some genuinely sweet moments with his adoptive family.

It's my favorite as well. Although all things considered, Li's western filmography is pretty decent. "I am Yulaw! I am nobody's bitch!"

Pillowpants posted:

Sorry, not an American recommendation, but it's been on my mind recently so I will push the French 2017 flick Revenge.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Pillowpants posted:

John Wick, Mandy... The Revenant I guess? Too bad you specified American movies, Korea has basically owned the genre for 20 years.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah you wanna be watching ‘I Saw The Devil’ if you haven’t.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah you wanna be watching ‘I Saw The Devil’ if you haven’t.

Isn't there an American remake of that in the works? They could hold out for that, how bad could it be!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I really didn't like I Saw the Devil. There's an interesting premise in there. A sort of inversal of the usual slasher formula, but I thought it lost the plot long before the end. It's a movie where I end up wondering what it thinks it's saying. Or if it even is saying anything. It's extremely well made and a lot of it has stuck with me through, if nothing else, the sheer skill involved in making it, but I dislike it pretty strongly.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I've brought it up before, but if you want a nice time watching Mads Mikkelsen killing dudes watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imic4ACxSp0

It is basically Death Wish as a western.
Mads Mikkelsen comes to the US as a danish army veteran and his family gets killed, so he gets mad.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

I really didn't like I Saw the Devil. There's an interesting premise in there. A sort of inversal of the usual slasher formula, but I thought it lost the plot long before the end. It's a movie where I end up wondering what it thinks it's saying. Or if it even is saying anything. It's extremely well made and a lot of it has stuck with me through, if nothing else, the sheer skill involved in making it, but I dislike it pretty strongly.

I would say it's about becomming a monster to fight monsters, but it has definitely got some parts that feel out of place. Like, the protagonist does sick kicks to beat up the proverbial monsters and that just doesn't really fit at first. I guess it's because you don't usually associate a descent into madness with martial arts.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

I would say it's about becomming a monster to fight monsters, but it has definitely got some parts that feel out of place. Like, the protagonist does sick kicks to beat up the proverbial monsters and that just doesn't really fit at first. I guess it's because you don't usually associate a descent into madness with martial arts.

But he only loses because he isn't enough of a monster. He keeps letting the guy live long enough for him to turn the tables. there's probably some very clever video essay out there telling me why i'm wrong and I'll watch it and slap my head for not putting together, but on a single watch that was my take.

The single shot knife battle in the car is really something else though.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 9, 2021

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I remember this stephen king short story about a nerdy teacher who's wife is killed by a mobster when she was going to testify, and he goes through a ridiculous amount of physical training and learns to work road construction while hiding his grief just so he could set up a trap in the middle of the road to kill the guy.

I'd like to see a movie about a completely un-badass character who undergoes martial arts and military training for years just to get revenge on some fuckers, coming at them like 8 years later when they've totally forgotten about him.

Usually with a similar premise a character just kind of inexplicably becomes badass just cuz he's mad.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 10:39 on May 9, 2021

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

dokmo posted:

John Wick, Mandy... The Revenant I guess? Too bad you specified American movies, Korea has basically owned the genre for 20 years.

I know - it’s hard to get anyone else in the house to watch movies that are all subtitled though

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pillowpants posted:

I know - it’s hard to get anyone else in the house to watch movies that are all subtitled though

If it's English language, not American , why not avengement, seized, ninja 2, various other Scott Adkins movies

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I remember this stephen king short story about a nerdy teacher who's wife is killed by a mobster when she was going to testify, and he goes through a ridiculous amount of physical training and learns to work road construction while hiding his grief just so he could set up a trap in the middle of the road to kill the guy.

I'd like to see a movie about a completely un-badass character who undergoes martial arts and military training for years just to get revenge on some fuckers, coming at them like 8 years later when they've totally forgotten about him.

Usually with a similar premise a character just kind of inexplicably becomes badass just cuz he's mad.

This is Blue Ruin, sort of, except without the training part.

There was an Antonio Banderas vehicle with this plot. It also had Karl Urban.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

mastershakeman posted:

If it's English language, not American , why not avengement, seized, ninja 2, various other Scott Adkins movies

I was going to post Ninja, Shadow of a tear, but avengement is really awesome and is mean little revenge flick.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Snowman_McK posted:

This is Blue Ruin, sort of, except without the training part.

There was an Antonio Banderas vehicle with this plot. It also had Karl Urban.

Blue Ruin is really good. I liked it more than Green Room.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

The story is Dolan's Cadillac, and it rules. There's a direct to tv/streaming version of this and it's sooo bad.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Rascar Capac posted:

Blue Ruin is really good. I liked it more than Green Room.

It’s a really fascinating and gnarly watch, due in a large part to the protagonist being both really compelling and also pathetic. The scenes with his sister and the stark differences between how the two of them handled this tragedy were top notch.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

There's a really amazing deconstruction of the rape-revenge subgenre called Violation that came out on Shudder in March, as you might imagine it has some brutal imagery but it's great at what it set out to do.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lumbermouth posted:

It’s a really fascinating and gnarly watch, due in a large part to the protagonist being both really compelling and also pathetic. The scenes with his sister and the stark differences between how the two of them handled this tragedy were top notch.

Jeremy Saulnier's gimmick seems to be 'action movies, but none of the people involved actually know how to fight' Green Room is Die Hard if John MaClane was several dumb teenagers and Blue Ruin is the Punisher as re-enacted by a William H Macy character. I really like his stuff, even Hold the Dark, and I hope he makes more.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Pillowpants posted:

The Foreigner with Jackie Chan/Pierce Bond; though I guess it takes place in Ireland - hell of a ride/movie

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

dokmo posted:

I enjoyed this, this is much better than the usual martial artists react to movie fights videos.

I checked out a few of their other videos and hit subscribe. Any channel that stans Iko Uweis is okay by me.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

From the blessed pics thread

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

dokmo posted:

From the blessed pics thread

Every one of these films is a treasure.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Every one of these films is a treasure.

I've only seen Shogun Assassin, which I love and I understand is a recut of the first two movies? Is it worth tracking down all of the originals?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Lamont posted:

I've only seen Shogun Assassin, which I love and I understand is a recut of the first two movies? Is it worth tracking down all of the originals?

Shogun Assassin is mostly the second one with the origin story from the first. They’re all worth watching and I think they’re all on Criterion Channel and HBO Max, or at least they were pretty recently.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Lamont posted:

Yeah, shogun assassin is the first two movies plus awful narration. The og versions are worth everyone's time.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The Lone Wolf and Cub movies are, genuinely, loving bizarre. I can't think of anything else that whiplashes so constantly. We move from arty shots of landscapes to exploitationy scenes of nudity and abuse right through to cartoonish violence and back again. Even the lead makes no loving sense. His weird body and strange double chin belies the fact that he's actually really convincing in the action scenes and clearly knows his way around a sword. Also, the films are laced with really careful historical research (the Eastern Eye DVDs always had a bunch of notes explaining the real life regions, people, events and phenomena in the film) but also contain utterly goofy poo poo like assassin monks hiding inside statues or people talking with a sword through their brain. They're worth watching because they're like nothing else.

also, Shogun Assassin is the source of most of the samples in 'Liquid Swords' one of the best hip hop albums of all time. So see it to get those references if nothing else

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
The flip side of Lone Wolf and Cub are the Razor Hanzo movies. Rapist samurai cop who loves Rube Goldberg traps set to a funky fuzztone guitar soundtrack.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I have the whole manga collection of Lone Wolf and Cub, I need to finally get around to watching the movies. The manga is just full of absurd, awesome, and stupid moments like when some witches (or something) attack the main dude in his sleep only to learn that his mastery of the blade and training of his body have allowed him to defend himself while still sleeping.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Tonight was a double feature of Unhinged and Virtuosity.

Russell Crowe hamming things up as a complete rear end in a top hat is the best Russell Crowe.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Ogami Ittō is straight up the baddest dude ever on film. He will wreck your poo poo via sword, horse slayer, or machine gun baby cart.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

The Lone Wolf and Cub movies are, genuinely, loving bizarre. I can't think of anything else that whiplashes so constantly. We move from arty shots of landscapes to exploitationy scenes of nudity and abuse right through to cartoonish violence and back again. Even the lead makes no loving sense. His weird body and strange double chin belies the fact that he's actually really convincing in the action scenes and clearly knows his way around a sword. Also, the films are laced with really careful historical research (the Eastern Eye DVDs always had a bunch of notes explaining the real life regions, people, events and phenomena in the film) but also contain utterly goofy poo poo like assassin monks hiding inside statues or people talking with a sword through their brain. They're worth watching because they're like nothing else.

I'm no expert on japanese movies of the 70s but i've seen my share, and these movies do stand out for being so action oriented. This is my favorite period of japanese film because there was so much wild poo poo going on. Teruo Ishii and his imitators were making psychedelic and surreal erotic movies, you had your exploitationish girl boss pinky flicks, yakuza movies were moving into the modern age with more realistic portrayals of criminal life, and studios were still making samurai movies, but more violent.

Tomisaburo Wakayama was in approximately 8 million movies and tv shows starting in the 50s, slowly making his way to starring status by the 70s. You may remember him from a couple of the early zatoichi movies (which starred his real life brother, who went on to produce the lone wolf and cub movies). He had numerous attempts to start franchises before hitting with Itto Ogami, including 11 movies in the Gokudo series in the 60s. The most interesting one that i've seen, and most relevant for this thread, is the Shokin Kasegi (AKA Bounty Hunter AKA Shikoro Ichibei) films and tv series. He plays a doctor who moonlights as a bounty hunter and spy to fund his medical clinic for the poor, and the movies are a bizarre mashup of subgenres: samurais and james bond. plus spaghetti westerns. and war movies. and others. I've watched the three movies and many of the tv episodes, and while they aren't as cohesive as the lone wolf and cub movies, or feature as much weird poo poo, they are entirely in that vein and a worthwhile watch for any Itto Ogami fans.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Gonz posted:

Tonight was a double feature of Unhinged and Virtuosity.

Russell Crowe hamming things up as a complete rear end in a top hat is the best Russell Crowe.

I really like Virtuosity. It's fun and has some great lines in it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Narzack posted:

I really like Virtuosity. It's fun and has some great lines in it.

Crowe also literally consumes the scenery, he is pretty amazing in that movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Another good one to double feature with Virtuosity is Ricochet. It's a Denzel vs. absurd scenery chewing villain double feature.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Basebf555 posted:

Another good one to double feature with Virtuosity is Ricochet. It's a Denzel vs. absurd scenery chewing villain double feature.

Hell yeah, definitely!

Check out how pumped up it's trailer is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDAJI-z7l_c
:drat:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
finally watched Yakuza Apocalypse. I feel like Miike was referencing the Yakuza game series a bit in it, which was amusing considering 6 seemed to reference this. I had absolutely no idea the swerve was coming and thought it was just a straight up yakuza movie until it wasn't

Fantastic movie, no idea how it wasn't on best of decade lists. I even liked the changeup with the final fight with Yayan Ruhian.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

dokmo posted:

I'm no expert on japanese movies of the 70s but i've seen my share, and these movies do stand out for being so action oriented. This is my favorite period of japanese film because there was so much wild poo poo going on. Teruo Ishii and his imitators were making psychedelic and surreal erotic movies, you had your exploitationish girl boss pinky flicks, yakuza movies were moving into the modern age with more realistic portrayals of criminal life, and studios were still making samurai movies, but more violent.

Tomisaburo Wakayama was in approximately 8 million movies and tv shows starting in the 50s, slowly making his way to starring status by the 70s. You may remember him from a couple of the early zatoichi movies (which starred his real life brother, who went on to produce the lone wolf and cub movies). He had numerous attempts to start franchises before hitting with Itto Ogami, including 11 movies in the Gokudo series in the 60s. The most interesting one that i've seen, and most relevant for this thread, is the Shokin Kasegi (AKA Bounty Hunter AKA Shikoro Ichibei) films and tv series. He plays a doctor who moonlights as a bounty hunter and spy to fund his medical clinic for the poor, and the movies are a bizarre mashup of subgenres: samurais and james bond. plus spaghetti westerns. and war movies. and others. I've watched the three movies and many of the tv episodes, and while they aren't as cohesive as the lone wolf and cub movies, or feature as much weird poo poo, they are entirely in that vein and a worthwhile watch for any Itto Ogami fans.

Thanks for this. Where should I start with Teruo Ishii? I've never heard of him.

Basebf555 posted:

Is that the one where John Lithgow wears phone book body armour while weilding a spear in prison?

Lithgow makes a surprisingly convincing villain given what he's most known for.

Martman posted:

I have the whole manga collection of Lone Wolf and Cub, I need to finally get around to watching the movies. The manga is just full of absurd, awesome, and stupid moments like when some witches (or something) attack the main dude in his sleep only to learn that his mastery of the blade and training of his body have allowed him to defend himself while still sleeping.

My favourite was when he was in prison and got paddled (which was a punishment administrated by prisoners to other prisoners) and escaped by breaking one of the paddles in half and stabbing everyone. I need to reread it. It's got that same whiplash of poetical lyricism and goofy (very well drawn) violence.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

mastershakeman posted:

finally watched Yakuza Apocalypse. I feel like Miike was referencing the Yakuza game series a bit in it, which was amusing considering 6 seemed to reference this. I had absolutely no idea the swerve was coming and thought it was just a straight up yakuza movie until it wasn't

Fantastic movie, no idea how it wasn't on best of decade lists. I even liked the changeup with the final fight with Yayan Ruhian.

Yakuza Apocalypse is like Miike wrote the script for a yakuza movie then dropped some acid beginning work on the second draft.