Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Shageletic posted:

what were the conditions, increasing amount of immigrants from the Caribbean?

Sort of. Various Jamaican gangs who'd been fighting over Jamaica since forever ended up in the US and staked a claim, and they favoured extremely bloody and public displays of violence. The news got a hold of it and before you know it they're the new terror. It very closely parallels the story of MS-13's spot as the Media's gangsters du jour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
I have to complain to somebody, so you guys are stuck with it.

JARHEAD #1 SUCKS AND SUCKS AND SUCKS FOR TWO STRAIGHT HOURS and oh god why did they make a entire movie about assholes becoming even worse and now BORED assholes and then being disappointed that they didn't get to kill anyone. That series-in-a-4-pack-case should really come with a warning to skip the first movie, instead of saying it's 4 action movies.

Thank you for your patience. You may now resume your discussion of Steven Segal vs Jamaican gangsters.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
That was basically the reaction to it when it came out as well. They really hosed up the marketing on that movie.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

JARHEAD #1 SUCKS AND SUCKS AND SUCKS FOR TWO STRAIGHT HOURS and oh god why did they make a entire movie about assholes becoming even worse and now BORED assholes and then being disappointed that they didn't get to kill anyone. That series-in-a-4-pack-case should really come with a warning to skip the first movie, instead of saying it's 4 action movies.

Thank you for your patience. You may now resume your discussion of Steven Segal vs Jamaican gangsters.

What do you think being deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan is like?

It's hot, it's lovely, you jerk off a lot, you lose your mind, and you come home.

Jarhead is amazing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
This is the Action Movies thread. Jarhead is an Inaction Movie.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Halloween Jack posted:

This is the Action Movies thread. Jarhead is an Inaction Movie.

Yes, but that doesn't mean it sucks. It's about The Suck, but it doesn't suck.

I was a in the Army in 08 supporting the Marines, it was a little surreal to watch this scene while in Iraq: A soldier watching Marines watching soldiers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K7XfFQVMgs

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Jarhead is an excellent movie but definitely not an action movie.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Jarhead 1 doesn't suck but is not an action movie. The others suck but are, supposedly, action movies.

I was playing on the movie stock exchange thing when it came out originally and made some fake $$$ because I just knew it was going to rule.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1400576560302858244

hello

guess ol' John-John will have some help.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

they are absolutely going to fight to the death

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Another new Letterboxd review for the weekend, this time of 1985's Commando Leopard:

Suppose they gave a guerilla insurgency and no one cared?

In a South American dictatorship, a guerilla band led by Enrique "El Leopardo" Carrasco (Lewis Collins) attacks a hydroelectric dam and then hides out in the jungle. While continuing to plot the overthrow of the government, they are pursued by the head of the secret police, Colonel Silvera (Klaus Kinski).

Commando Leopard has a bunch of care and attention put into its special effects, with some impressive miniatures work. Less attention went into the script, which makes it hard to care about the characters and what they are doing. This is a shame, because the intention here is clearly to go for a grittier type of action film, along the lines of The Dogs of War. The parts of the story that focus on the costs of revolutionary violence also make things a bit more interesting than the way things are usually presented in films.

The acting is also a problem, with Collins (best known to British viewers as half of The Professionals) not expressing a single emotion during the course of the film, and - more surprisingly - Kinski being similarly subdued. Again, this makes it difficult to become really invested in what's going on.

Commando Leopard is a perfectly serviceable action film, but it could have been substantially better with some more script work and more committed acting.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Stairmaster posted:

they are absolutely going to fight to the death

Not necessarily. I'd take a team up action scene ala what they did with Halle Berry. That'd be amazing.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I hope Donnie does everything he did in Flashpoint, only in a suit instead of a jacket.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I hope Donnie does everything he did in Flashpoint, only in a suit instead of a jacket.

Flashpoint is so good. It really is the exact sweet spot between traditional kung fu stuff and MMA. I've not seen anyone else do it better since, though a couple of the Undisputed films come pretty drat close.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Neo Rasa posted:

Same with The Butterfly Murders, this was Tsui Hark's first movie and it starts out seeming like a sort of typical wuxia flick and then...becomes like an almost giallo/slasher movie with a an all black armor-clad killer whose identity is a mystery and everything.

The story's about these folks getting murdered so a reporter enlists a fighter he knows and she gets some allies too and they all venture to this supposedly abandoned estate to investigate, but then they find a cave network under it stuff happens. It's really cool to have these kinds of character archetypes in this claustrophobic setting, the story is actually pretty cool, and it does a good job making things feel dangerous. Also sort of notable is that none of the weaponry in it is like of the "graceful" or "noble" variety, everyone's using axes, clubs, explosives, like it's not a graphic movie in any way but it really has this great dangerous/brutal tone to it I appreciate. And it's got some really cool imagery:

Late to echo that recommendation, with the additional note that the subtitles on Amazon are laughably bad. Like, I was crying from laughing so hard. And the ending is absolute batshit.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

married but discreet posted:

Late to echo that recommendation, with the additional note that the subtitles on Amazon are laughably bad. Like, I was crying from laughing so hard. And the ending is absolute batshit.

It really disappoints me, you can see what a gorgeous flick it would be otherwise.

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm in awe of how badly this is shot. If you hadn't told me this was a video of "Steven Seagal kills a man with an exploding CD" I would not have ever figured it out.

Actor signature: Badly edited action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyoTF-4Gtt4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAG_EkEcofI

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Hopefully a better version of Butterfly Murders will be available soon; a new restoration screened at HKIFF this year.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

I can understand that reaction, especially if it comes in a four pack of ACTION movies. Give it some time, though, and revisit it, because it really is a very good movie. You just have to reset your expectations. Despite the marketing mis-selling the movie, I do like the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aBP-c28_1M

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's interesting that Seagal became a punchman later in his career, since he's the most famous aikidoka, and aikido guys have this weird thing about how breaking someone's elbow is classy but punching them in the nose is barbaric. I think I know why, though--he's barely mobile, and aikido is actually pretty hard on your knees. He also sucks all the tension out of his action scenes by making his opponent the underdog and beating him handily.

It's also fun how he's gone from putting on a Blaccent to trying to sound Texan as action movies have changed over the past 15 years. I like that this video was uploaded by a terrible jiu-jitsu school in Italy.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Just here to say I accidentally unsubscribed to this thread and totally forgot about it. The last few months of my life have been rudderless and empty - now I know why. Hi folks. I see Stone Cold trailers are still being thrown around.......so cozy

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

It's hard to remember a time when Steven Seagal action scenes were actually a fun novelty instead of "bloated egomaniac does jazz hands, bad man fall down" but they were!

:corsair:

This raises the obvious question of what was the last Seagal movie where he participated in watchable fight scenes?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol at 0:26 when he gets up you know they had to edit a OUGHHH off of the sound recording.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

sean10mm posted:

It's hard to remember a time when Steven Seagal action scenes were actually a fun novelty instead of "bloated egomaniac does jazz hands, bad man fall down" but they were!

:corsair:

This raises the obvious question of what was the last Seagal movie where he participated in watchable fight scenes?

Seagal really was only at the top of his game for like 5 or 6 movies, when you really look at it. Above the Law, Hard to Kill, Marked for Death, Out For Justice, and Under Siege are like his initial run where I would consider him to be actually in his prime. That's a run of about six years, and if you want to you can tack on Under Siege 2 and On Deadly Ground after that.

But after that I can't really defend any of his movies as having legit action scenes. Fire Down Below and Glimmer Man are fine but Seagal himself isn't what he used to be by that point, and that's only 1996/1997. So it's been like 25 years since Seagal was capable of a good fight scene.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, I'd say Fire Down Below was the last time he did a "classic" Seagal style fight scene, like the bit where he disarms a cop and sticks his gun in his mouth. Glimmer Man, I think, was the first movie where he started trying to do wing chun, and it looked bad. Machete was probably his last decent scene, which is mostly just a lot of blades waving around and reaction shots. Y'know, it's watchable for a movie that you're not watching for the fight choreography. Some time not long after that he became basically immobile.

Chapo Trap House recently described him as looking like a sports mascot version of himself, which is perfect.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 9, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
At some point around the early 2000s(Exit Wounds, Half Past Dead, Out For A Kill) they started doubling him frequently where they'd do like an overhead shot where a double would step in and do the actual fight choreography and Seagal would just do the close ups where he waves his hands around. Not sure exactly which movie it was where he started doing that but it was around that time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Exit Wounds definitely had some body doubling. There's a scene where a big guy picks him up in a fireman's carry and he flips out of it, and I don't think Seagal could do that in his prime. Out for a Kill definitely had some of the body double, cut to waving hands stuff you're talking about. But you can tell from other scenes that he could still basically move around. Like, he was physically capable of kneeling down and rising to a standing position, which is probably no longer the case. Aikido is pretty hard on your knees.

He's been in so many goddamn movies that you can practically see him degenerating in real time. Over the following decade you can see him just gradually doing less and less and being doubled more and more. There'd be fight scenes where he'd do the basic aikido gimmick of grabbing a punch, turning a step or two, and doing a clothesline, but it's always shoddy and quickly cut. Later, he'd only do weapons work in closeup, and anything that required him to move around the scene was obviously doubled. The latest Seagal movie I've seen is Sniper: Special Ops and he spends almost all of his screen time sitting down. The last time I saw him do any kind of action was an aikido demo in 2018 where he shuffled onto the mat, did one move, and shuffled off. He walks like he's trying not to piss himself.

Fun factoid: I remember back in the day, someone edited his Wikipedia page to say he collects vintage telephones. When asked, the editor said that they sold him several of them on eBay, as well as some refurbishing supplies. Who would lie about that?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Bang bang! Your dead, bad CGI impacts. :ocelot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH17Zh09rGY

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Xtreme (Xtremo) - Saw this on netflix and was expecting trash, but the fight scenes are really good. The plot is decent enough where it doesn't feel like a straight-to-dvd movie. It's very much a ripoff of John Wick with Raid style fights but I really enjoyed it . The main guy is really good too, surprised he hasn't done much before (e: oh cool he's also the writer, not bad). It could have been better without as much cuts during the action since it seems like he can really go.

3.25/5

Hirez fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 10, 2021

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I did a thing:

Schwartzenegger Movies Ranked by Ridiculousness of Arnold's Character's Name

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

John Kimble deserves a higher spot just for the soundboard clips. "I'm Detective JOHN KIM BALL. I'm a cop U IDIOT!!!!"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It says a lot when “Cyberdyne Systems T-800 Model 101” doesn’t break the top ten.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

All I remember about Sabotage is there is a character named "neck" in it so I am happy that movie is in the top ten

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

EL BROMANCE posted:

It says a lot when “Cyberdyne Systems T-800 Model 101” doesn’t break the top ten.

I believe you mean Uncle Bob.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

"Uncle Bob huh?"

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Hirez posted:

Xtreme (Xtremo) - Saw this on netflix and was expecting trash, but the fight scenes are really good. The plot is decent enough where it doesn't feel like a straight-to-dvd movie. It's very much a ripoff of John Wick with Raid style fights but I really enjoyed it . The main guy is really good too, surprised he hasn't done much before (e: oh cool he's also the writer, not bad). It could have been better without as much cuts during the action since it seems like he can really go.

3.25/5

I watched this last night based on your recommendation and agree with every word you typed.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndGkKlBa3bw

This failed ABC pilot from 1988 was filmed in Australia and had Glenn Boswell as the stunt coordinator. You can tell in the first 10 minutes when a semi on a lone desert highway is attacked by marauders.

Dude worked on Road Warrior, Thunderdome, and was the stunt coordinator for a ton of movies, including The Thin Red Line and The Matrix Trilogy among others.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0098342/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cr17

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 11, 2021

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I'd heard about this for literally years and had forgotten about it. Thank you so so much for posting! Also, if any of you are confused, this is not the George Miller who directed Mad Max, even though it uses those films Stunt Coordinator.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Xtremo was good fun, great soundtrack too.
How Finito managed to survive being hit by a car without even a small limp is the most puzzling thing of the whole movie. He was an A-tier henchman with that 80's ponytail, good to have him survive to go out to his own death punch.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Xtreme ruled. It was the exact dumb 80s action movie logic (should we swarm him? No, lets enter in groups of three, letting him grab new improvised weapons each time) and it really, really loved killing people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIRmcgAeUUs&t=103s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2O1OW6i820&t=45s

Somehow the 40 year old Porsche 944 became the assassin's car of choice in 2021.