Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm finding The Big 4 kind of annoying so far during any moment that isn't an action scene (but tbf most of them seem amazing and make the movie worth it but gently caress, edit this poo poo down). Cut the pseudo Tarantino Joe Carnahan tier stuff and whatever else half thought out stylized homages are happening here and just leave me the good action film. It feels so uncomfortable in its own skin (and mega corny) when it's not delivering on well choreographed brutal action.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Agreed. The action in the big 4 was great, but most of the rest was tough going. It's a shame because I like the cast and it's not a bad concept. The fights are good though.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Ben Foster is one of our most underrated actors. He's in one of my favorite movies that most people don't like or haven't seen, Big Trouble, a crime caper comedy set in Miami. It feels like an Elmore Leonard story, but it's based on a novel by humorist Dave Barry.

Unfortunately Tim Allen is the lead, but the rest of the cast slaps: Foster, Renee Russo, Zooey Deschanel, Stanley Tucci, Dennis Farina, Janeane Garofalo, Patrick Warburton, Jason Lee, Johnny Knoxville, Tom Sizemore.

B-Rock452 posted:

The fact that no one has mentioned Galveston yet is making me sad. He is incredible in it

This has been on my list. I liked the novel quite a bit.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Honestly even with the cast in Big 4 I didn't feel like most of them were pulling off the annoying characterizations and style it was going for but that's prolly just the script. The fight choreography and direction delivers.
Still recommend it to everyone though just for the action scenes.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Ben Foster is one of our most underrated actors. He's in one of my favorite movies that most people don't like or haven't seen, Big Trouble, a crime caper comedy set in Miami. It feels like an Elmore Leonard story, but it's based on a novel by humorist Dave Barry.

Unfortunately Tim Allen is the lead, but the rest of the cast slaps: Foster, Renee Russo, Zooey Deschanel, Stanley Tucci, Dennis Farina, Janeane Garofalo, Patrick Warburton, Jason Lee, Johnny Knoxville, Tom Sizemore.
I totally forgot he was in Big Trouble. He was young as gently caress in that. I watched that cuz as a little elementary school kid I was randomly super into boomer humorist Dave Barry writing about how hard it is to raise 13 year old daughters, how annoying his wife is, sagging pants, or like how every random phrase would be a great band name man.
It's weird that in like 2nd grade I had the reading tastes of a 65 year old white man. Also loved Tom Clancy

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Dave Barry was actually pretty good, and I liked him too. He had an engaging way of writing about mundane stuff. Most of his problems, I think, were because of how prodigious his output was.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

He is an amazing weirdo in Yuma and a really great more straight-up heroic guy here. Medieval really makes me want to watch more Ben Foster movies (again).

He has that crazy fight scene in that movie with Emile Hersch.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Yeah, Foster is a near Gary Oldman grade character actor in an era where there's less high profile work for guys like that. Galveston is fantastic and absolutely heartbreaking.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Honestly even with the cast in Big 4 I didn't feel like most of them were pulling off the annoying characterizations and style it was going for but that's prolly just the script. The fight choreography and direction delivers.
Still recommend it to everyone though just for the action scenes.

I totally forgot he was in Big Trouble. He was young as gently caress in that. I watched that cuz as a little elementary school kid I was randomly super into boomer humorist Dave Barry writing about how hard it is to raise 13 year old daughters, how annoying his wife is, sagging pants, or like how every random phrase would be a great band name man.
It's weird that in like 2nd grade I had the reading tastes of a 65 year old white man. Also loved Tom Clancy

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Dave Barry was actually pretty good, and I liked him too. He had an engaging way of writing about mundane stuff. Most of his problems, I think, were because of how prodigious his output was.

Growing up in Miami in the '80s and '90s, pretty much everyone loved Dave Barry, regardless of their age, although I was always more of a Carl Hiaasen fan. My dad was a legendary junior high/middle school teacher in Miami, and he taught Dave Barry's much-younger third wife.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm finding The Big 4 kind of annoying so far during any moment that isn't an action scene (but tbf most of them seem amazing and make the movie worth it but gently caress, edit this poo poo down). Cut the pseudo Tarantino Joe Carnahan tier stuff and whatever else half thought out stylized homages are happening here and just leave me the good action film. It feels so uncomfortable in its own skin (and mega corny) when it's not delivering on well choreographed brutal action.

It was a very inconsistent movie. Although one thing I did like was having a character with Tourette's where it wasn't just a big joke.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Mean Guns is terrible, but I can't stop watching it. It's like something I would have imagined when I was 16 and really into GURPS and cyberpunk.

EDIT: Man, even in the late 90s, Christoper Lambert looks *really* good in a trenchcoat, running across tables and shooting guns akimbo.

null_pointer fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 19, 2022

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snowman_McK posted:

Yeah, Foster is a near Gary Oldman grade character actor in an era where there's less high profile work for guys like that. Galveston is fantastic and absolutely heartbreaking.

Foster was the only actor giving half a poo poo in X-Men: The Last Stand.

null_pointer posted:

EDIT: Man, even in the late 90s, Christoper Lambert looks *really* good in a trenchcoat, running across tables and shooting guns akimbo.

This is kind of funny because by that time, Christopher Lambert was legally blind and can't wear contacts.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

He sure was a wizard in Warcraft.

Yup

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Timby posted:

Foster was the only actor giving half a poo poo in X-Men: The Last Stand.

Wait, wha

Huh.

I know I said I wanted to watch more Ben Foster movies, but nah. Just looking at that cast makes me mad at The Last Stand all over again.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grendels Dad posted:

Wait, wha

Huh.

I know I said I wanted to watch more Ben Foster movies, but nah. Just looking at that cast makes me mad at The Last Stand all over again.

It really is terrible, and almost entirely because Tom Rothman--who ran Fox's film unit at the time--was an insane, petty lunatic who was mad that Bryan Singer had left to make Superman Returns, so he demanded that The Last Stand beat Returns to theaters, so it was made on a stupidly compressed schedule.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I mean it might have been better but the odds of a Brett Ratner X-Men movie being good was already pretty low

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

morestuff posted:

I mean it might have been better but the odds of a Brett Ratner X-Men movie being good was already pretty low

Originally Matthew Vaughn was going to do it, but he insisted on Kinberg's script getting a page-one rewrite because it was a mess. Fox flat-out told him no, shoot the script you've been given. So Vaughn walked away and Ratner was their hired gun.

Edit: It will never stop being hilarious to me that Simon Kinberg totally hosed up his first attempt at doing the Dark Phoenix story ... and then fifteen years later he not only convinced Fox to let him have another crack at it, but also to let him make his directorial debut on it.

And then he basically made the exact same loving movie with some find-replace stuff done.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Ah, makes sense

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Whatever you think of Tom Cruise, you can't deny that he's an absolute madman on a mission to risk his life multiple times a day for nothing more than your fleeting entertainment.

https://twitter.com/MissionFilm/status/1604838974933110787?s=20&t=OAohhNUv4qDn9RoIPyD1kA

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

It’s extremely cool but I do wonder what the plot justification is for a ramp to nowhere off a cliff

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Violent Night was good fun. Maybe not a classic, but I could tell the actors were enjoying the script and there are lots of fun Xmas prop weapons.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

morestuff posted:

It’s extremely cool but I do wonder what the plot justification is for a ramp to nowhere off a cliff

The ramp isn't gonna be there in the final shot, I'm sure it'll be a shot of the approach(with no ramp present), then a cut to him flying off the cliff(at such an angle that you can't see the ramp).

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Payndz posted:

Whatever you think of Tom Cruise, you can't deny that he's an absolute madman on a mission to risk his life multiple times a day for nothing more than your fleeting entertainment.

https://twitter.com/MissionFilm/status/1604838974933110787?s=20&t=OAohhNUv4qDn9RoIPyD1kA

this is so loving sick, i love tom cruise

i think it is a bit of an exaggeration to be calling it the biggest stunt ever but its funny how he spends years of nonstop preparation vs the hong kong style 40 years ago of just going 'here jump this motorcycle onto the moving train, itll be fine'

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

The ramp isn't gonna be there in the final shot, I'm sure it'll be a shot of the approach(with no ramp present), then a cut to him flying off the cliff(at such an angle that you can't see the ramp).

yeah, you're right, looks like they cg a rock formation over it in the trailer

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

morestuff posted:

The full trailer released a few months back shows a CG clifftop covering the ramp in the final shot.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kinda poo poo movie but main Alpha Dog is some prime Ben Foster material

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLezR1m4W2g

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Timby posted:

This is kind of funny because by that time, Christopher Lambert was legally blind and can't wear contacts.

I mean, that has been the case for his entire career. One of the reasons he got cast for the Tarzan movie was his myopia.

quote:

Hudson tested four people as Tarzan: a Danish ballet dancer, Julian Sands, Viggo Mortensen and Christopher Lambert. Hudson said it came down to Lambert and Mortensen. "I just felt that Christopher was the right person. He had this strange quality — somehow, because he was myopic, when he took his glasses off, he couldn’t really see properly so he would seem to look through you into the distance."

And he has gotten hurt doing stunts for the Highlander movies and other stuff.

I'll never quite understand why they thought getting a blind dude to do sword fighting would be a good idea.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It worked in that Rutger Hauer movie.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
It made Stan Hansen a millionaire, but he didn't have a sword.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MrBling posted:

I mean, that has been the case for his entire career. One of the reasons he got cast for the Tarzan movie was his myopia.

And he has gotten hurt doing stunts for the Highlander movies and other stuff.

I'll never quite understand why they thought getting a blind dude to do sword fighting would be a good idea.

One of my favorite anecdotes from Highlander: Endgame was that he and Bruce Payne nearly killed each other during the cemetery fight: Lambert because he's blind, Payne because he had absolutely no training in swordfighting whatsoever (they couldn't afford it). So the two of them were just flailing about at each other and the editors--all six of them--had to cut around it and put something mildly coherent together.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I enjoy pointing this out whenever Highlander Endgame comes up: in the final showdown, there's a whole sequence of shots that repeat, at :52 and 1:52, almost precisely a minute apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErooapHef0g

The fight starts in what looks like a cathedral, and they fall at least a couple stories into what looks like a factory. Then they're on a catwalk, fall off it and repeat a series of moves in the exact same spot. Then they're in a room full of chains, where Duncan escapes by climbing up, then they're on the ground floor again, then anothe catwalk. The whole fight feels like they accidentally fell through a teleport glitch in an old video game.

I often say that the difference between trash movies (good) and garbage movies (bad) is that in a truly garbage movie, it seems like nobody involved in the film gave a poo poo. But on rare occasion, that has magical results.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The poor JVC logo, taken from us in the home video release of Highlander: Endgame.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Is that worth watching? I recently made a valiant effort to rewatch all of the Highlander TV series, but had to tap out early in season 5 because it just becomes totally godawful. Never saw any of the movies besides the first one but always mostly enjoyed Adrian Paul's Duncan.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's amazing how long just the Queen song kept me going in the Highlander t.v. series. Even if the episode is bad at least you get those opening credits!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I mean, it's not good. When I say that the best part of the movie is the costume design, that's not because it's a brilliant historical epic. But if you liked the series enough to watch 4 seasons, you probably won't completely hate it? Donnie Yen wears a gold snakeskin jacket.

Highlander: The Source is to the series what Highlander 2 was to the movies. Just balls to the wall crazy and stupid and nothing makes sense.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Basebf555 posted:

It's amazing how long just the Queen song kept me going in the Highlander t.v. series. Even if the episode is bad at least you get those opening credits!

The fact that they shot on location in Paris for half of each season (and then in Vancouver for the rest of it) made the show feel really unique. Can't think of many other (English language) tv series with house boats on the Seine and fight scenes taking place inside French castles.

I was always kind of surprised that Adrian Paul didn't have a bigger career after he was done with Highlander. He seemed extremely talented, especially with martial arts. He was certainly a competent and compelling actor when the direction and writing wasn't complete poo poo too. Could have been a big time action star and instead has just had parts in B-grade (at best) poo poo ever since.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

morestuff posted:

congressional pork barrel spending -_-

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Sirotan posted:

Is that worth watching? I recently made a valiant effort to rewatch all of the Highlander TV series, but had to tap out early in season 5 because it just becomes totally godawful. Never saw any of the movies besides the first one but always mostly enjoyed Adrian Paul's Duncan.

It's Donnie Yen's first American movie and depending on what cut of the film you get I would almost say it's kind of worth it just for being able to see a decent fight with him in it

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Watched the big 4, you people called it, the action was good and everything else was annoying as hell. I did enjoy the timo gore quite a bit.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Halloween Jack posted:

I mean, it's not good. When I say that the best part of the movie is the costume design, that's not because it's a brilliant historical epic. But if you liked the series enough to watch 4 seasons, you probably won't completely hate it? Donnie Yen wears a gold snakeskin jacket.

Highlander: The Source is to the series what Highlander 2 was to the movies. Just balls to the wall crazy and stupid and nothing makes sense.

Highlander 2 is fascinating in a "holy poo poo, what kind of drugs were they doing and where can I find some" sense.

The Source is just irredeemable in every single way. I remember when it leaked, and I read a synopsis of it, and I was like, "There's no way this is true." And then, yep, there it is, the weird dude in bondage gear kills Joe Dawson and bellows "Who Wants To Live Foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" (yes, the Queen song) as an attempt to lure Duncan and good gravy.

Endgame is ... a Thing. It's very much not good, but it has its moments and I like the score quite a bit. Donnie Yen has an amazing fight scene in it, which makes sense, since both he and Adrian Paul are martial arts gurus. When he's not trying to fight with a longsword, Bruce Payne is a lot of fun as the villain. If you've watched the series, both Joe and Methos have some great bits. But it makes no sense and I do not recommend watching it without the influence of at least some very good weed.

Edit: It's also notable in that it had VFX shots specifically created for the trailer that were not meant to be in the movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5Sjk9rDxFc

Timby fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Dec 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Sirotan posted:

I was always kind of surprised that Adrian Paul didn't have a bigger career after he was done with Highlander. He seemed extremely talented, especially with martial arts. He was certainly a competent and compelling actor when the direction and writing wasn't complete poo poo too. Could have been a big time action star and instead has just had parts in B-grade (at best) poo poo ever since.
I've wondered this too. Good actor, good looking, really knew the martial arts stuff, but after Highlander his career was just a series of never-heard-of-it movies and occasional TV appearances. Maybe he was hard to work with, maybe 40 was too old to go on to establish leading man roles, I really don't know.

The problem with Highlander 2 is that it's all downhill after the early scene where Connor gets his powers back. Russell Mulcahy likes directing music videos on post-apocalyptic sets with :popclap: WILD BOYS :popclap: and the movie quickly runs out of steam after he beheads the cyberpunk birdmen.

Highlander: The Source is insanely stupid for a lot of reasons. One fun fact is that there were two version of the movie. It somehow came out on DVD in Russia before the US, and I saw that version first. It has a bunch of very very bad fast motion and CGI, only some of which made the final American cut.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 20, 2022