Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Human Tornada posted:

RE: Clunkiness in Fallout; I know this is extratextual and doesn't matter to a lot of people but McQuarrie's philosophy regarding exposition is that it always sucks so you might as well cram it all in there and get it over with and move on to the good stuff.

That explains the opening scene and the double Lane scene, which turned out to be supremely satisfying and I didn't pick up on it until the exact same moment Walker did.

Edit: Also, what was the last movie to incorporate The Plot theme into the score? They must have done it before, but it's not ringing a bell.

It’s definitely in 3’s score but I haven’t thought about it. It may not be in 4 or 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Raccooon posted:

I read the scene this way. Walker is someone working for Lane. Walker works for him because through Lane he can fulfill the manifesto he wrote, whether Lane cares about the manifesto is unclear. Lane's original plan is to get freed and to have Hunt be framed as Lark. Hunt then is stuck in a cell while his ex-wife, new love interest, and team are killed in the blast at kashmir. The ultimate own for Lane is to beat Hunt plus you can't get revenge because I am dead. This falls through because Walker gets caught in the lie by leaving Benji as the fake Lane. Walker is operating within Lane's plan which pisses him off because they could have just gone ahead and nuked Kashmir to accomplish what he laid out in the manifesto. That is why the grudge match between Lane and Hunt is brought up. Really this scene felt clunky because it just has Walker lay everything out for the viewer. Walker's help in that scene is from the fact that the apostles and therefore Lane have already infiltrated the CIA. The people that helped Walker in that scene were apart of Lane's outfit.

But, it looks like he still can get the revenge on Hunt by continuing the plan. This probably explains why he doesn't tell anyone that Hunt is on the second helicopter because it means Hunt will survive while everyone else dies. Meaning he can still fulfill the original plan.

Lane's main goal is to take everything away from Ethan and cause him maximum pain. That's the minor conflict between Lane and Walker, the mission to tear down the system is now secondary to Lane. So Lane always lets Ethan get away or otherwise gently caress up via cliche bond villainy, because his main goal is now simply loving over Ethan Hunt.

I kind of didn't like Fallout that much. It's good, middle of the road Mission Impossible franchise quality. I'm not sure why I didn't like it as much as the last two.

I do think that they shouldn't have given away the Walker betrayal so early though. There was no reason for the neon lights and airhorns making sure you knew he was a traitor with the phone scene. Especially since Isla showing up already provided the pretext for him to question Hunt, and they could have had him pass Bassett a similarly beat up phone to "check for evidence". At least give the audience a chance to think maybe he isn't a bad guy in between introducing him as the CIA's top wetwork guy being forced on the IMF, loving up the mission, and then snitching to Angela Bassett.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Personally I rank the MI movies as

3 > 6> 4> 5 > 1then way way way way over then 2.

I place those 5 movies tightly grouped and #2 on another hemisphere.

To me 3 has a desperation to it the other movies don’t. Hunt feels like he is just barely keeping his head above water. Especially, from the bridge scene forward. Also 3 has the best villain.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I will say that Fallout definitely has Cruise running with the most desperate speed of any of them.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
So interesting how different entries in the series click with different people. 3 is dead last for me, filled with awful shakycam and not a single memorable setpiece. Hoffman saves it, but I have no patience for JJ Abrams aesthetic. I'll take John Woo goofiness any day of the week over self serious pho-grittiness.

Anyone else notice how much Fallout feels like a Nolan movie? From the score which sounds exactly like Dark Knight Rises, to the van heist, the chained up monologuing villain who escapes, the cross-cutting extended finale, the imax cameras mounted on vehicles.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Human Tornada posted:

Edit: Also, what was the last movie to incorporate The Plot theme into the score? They must have done it before, but it's not ringing a bell.

Wow, I didn't know this was from the show, as I've never seen it, but it's all over the N64 Mission: Impossible game.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

2 switches to slow motion and has doves fly up so much in the movie it feels like parody.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

bullet3 posted:

pho-grittiness.

The Vietnamese places in your town must suck

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

The Vietnamese places in your town must suck

nice.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Most of the M:I films feel pretty timeless, including the first film with its antiquated technology and U2 theme, but holy poo poo does Mission: Impossible 2 feel like the year 2000 distilled into a singular film.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Human Tornada posted:

Edit: Also the trailers for Johnny English 2 (woof)
Johnny English 3.

How they’ve managed to get three movies out of Rowan Atkinson’s Barclaycard ads I have no idea. Even two was stretching it.

Also, MI:Fallout was super dope, and at the end for a few seconds I really thought they’d failed - the way the screen went completely white and then cut to Ethan looking at what looked like a nuclear explosion in the distance was a great fakeout.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

GazChap posted:

Also, MI:Fallout was super dope, and at the end for a few seconds I really thought they’d failed - the way the screen went completely white and then cut to Ethan looking at what looked like a nuclear explosion in the distance was a great fakeout.

It was pretty smart of them to have Ethan out of range for the finale so there was at least a tiny bit of tension about whether they would go off.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GazChap posted:

How they’ve managed to get three movies out of Rowan Atkinson’s Barclaycard ads I have no idea. Even two was stretching it.

Are those the ones where he's part of a team of ninjas infiltrating this Feudal Japanese castle? I think he's Mr Bean in those ones. I remember thinking the first Johnny English was one of the funniest movies I'd ever seen but haven't seen it since it came out (15 years ago, good grief). I've never seen the second one. I have a feeling that the first would be disappointing if I went back to it.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I loved the new Mission Impossible, like all the stunts were references and homages to action scenes from other movies and it was very clever. Tom Cruise quickdraws on 4 guys and kills them all which calls back to his 'Yo Homies' shooting scene from Collateral, the extraction scene he runs through in his head, with the guys ramming a truck over with another truck and assualting dressed in hockeymasks is a callback to Heat, there is a scene where they wedge a truck tightly between two buildings is a reference to 'The Man From UNCLE which also starred Cavill... tons of stuff like that and none of it really felt ripped off either.

Good stuff.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
My MI movie rankings goes like....

6 -> 4 -> 5 -> 1 -> 2 -> 3

I wish the opening segments had the balls to go through with the nuking of major cities and this was dealing the fallout lol. but it wasn't as bad as 3.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Fart City posted:

Most of the M:I films feel pretty timeless, including the first film with its antiquated technology and U2 theme, but holy poo poo does Mission: Impossible 2 feel like the year 2000 distilled into a singular film.

Its because the John Woo style was used from like 1997-2001 and then completely dropped.

Face/Off still great fun though

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm wondering if Chris Mcquarrie will return for the next one. I really liked Ghost Protocol so I wouldn't mind Brad Bird coming back for another one.

SD87
Jun 7, 2011
I’m in the minority on this one. I left before the chopper scene started. The whole steal the face/voice thing is old and cheap by now. Can they come up with some new ideas and stop doing this every movie(lol). The mask reveals used to be like ohh shhhiiiiittt but now I just roll my loving eyes. What else. Tom cruise evading his chasers by perfectly splitting through traffic at an intersection. I’m okay if they do this once but multiple times? It really cheapened that chase scene. Cavill was boring. Maybe his character was supposes to be portrayed that way but it just felt like he was bored throughout the whole movie(maybe things changed during the chopper scene lol). Alec baldwin put on a better performance for fucks sake. The “funny” moments were done way better in rogue nation as well. The movie was visually dope and tom cruise killed it as usual but I just didn’t enjoy it as I did the previous entries in the series. I’m still gonna see the next one though blah blah blah

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gatts posted:

My MI movie rankings goes like....

6 -> 4 -> 5 -> 1 -> 2 -> 3

I wish the opening segments had the balls to go through with the nuking of major cities and this was dealing the fallout lol. but it wasn't as bad as 3.

There wouldn’t be a movie if this happened

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CelticPredator posted:

There wouldn’t be a movie if this happened

Sure there would or could. It would have had a different objective and story. When MI3 opened, I was hoping whoa, they have the guts to do this? This is a movie presented with real consequences and hard decisions? And then was let down hard. Much like everything else JJ Abrams touches.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I watched Starship Troopers for the first time this weekend.

Holy poo poo that movie rules.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Franchescanado posted:

It's an amazing movie that only seems to get more relevant year-by-year. Kind of feels like the world needs Paul Verhoeven satire now more than ever, but he's off on his space farm like Superman in Kingdom Come.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Yes, it does. Yes, it loving does.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
For the sixth movie in a franchise Mission Impossible : Fallout was insanely good. Like holy poo poo was that amazing. Saw it today and totally was amazing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gatts posted:

Sure there would or could. It would have had a different objective and story. When MI3 opened, I was hoping whoa, they have the guts to do this? This is a movie presented with real consequences and hard decisions? And then was let down hard. Much like everything else JJ Abrams touches.

Yeah but how can you come back from that? Murder Ethan's wife and then what? It's a sad revenge story at the end? He kills PSH and..and then...? This series needs to be more upbeat than downbeat to work. You can straddle the line a bit, but you go too far over, it won't work.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
Which is why that scene is an annoying cheat, it sets you up for one type of movie (which I would love to see them have the guts to do btw), when the rest of it is pretty lighthearted and goofy.

It's interesting how the first movie is still by far the most serious, and the one where Ethan feels the most in danger and like a real human and not an elite unstoppable agent. I know there's no going back of course, since part 4 they've settled on a formula that's working well, but I'd love for them to do one that scales everything back and feels personal and dangerous. I really don't think it's possible to go any bigger at this point.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Mission Impossible...in space!

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Fallout got me to watch the series over again.

My favorite part of MI:2 is when Hunt and Ambrose are dueling on bikes. They then charge right at each other then jump off the bikes to slam their bodies together and there bikes explode simultaneous right after they jump.

Has to be the dumbest action in scene in all of the MI movies.

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 30, 2018

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
In the trailer for Fallout, I absolutely loved the shot of Hunt in the chopper about to slam headfirst into a truck. That didn't make the final cut right?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Boosh! posted:

In the trailer for Fallout, I absolutely loved the shot of Hunt in the chopper about to slam headfirst into a truck. That didn't make the final cut right?

Nope

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Everyone making GBS threads all over MI2 made me question my own judgement and I re-watched it a couple weeks ago.

It's still good, although it's showing it's age a bit. Accept that it takes place in the Woo Zone and it's a good John Woo movie. I think people are flipping their wigs because it's a lower-end Mission Impossible movie with ugly, overlit cinematography that makes it look like a television show. So yeah. A good John Woo movie and a not-so-good MI movie.

Also I don't understand the making GBS threads on 3 either. PSH is a loving dead-eyed psycho in it and the fact that he never gets rattled and just hauls his pudgy rear end around glowering is great. That scene with the "I'll count to 10" while Cruise flips out and cries is really good!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

bullet3 posted:

Which is why that scene is an annoying cheat, it sets you up for one type of movie (which I would love to see them have the guts to do btw), when the rest of it is pretty lighthearted and goofy.

It's interesting how the first movie is still by far the most serious, and the one where Ethan feels the most in danger and like a real human and not an elite unstoppable agent. I know there's no going back of course, since part 4 they've settled on a formula that's working well, but I'd love for them to do one that scales everything back and feels personal and dangerous. I really don't think it's possible to go any bigger at this point.

Thank you for putting it in a way that explains it. It did feel like a cheat to me. But that’s managing my expectations.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Haven't had a chance to see Fallout yet dammit. Glad response seems to be mostly positive.

Speaking of MI3:

https://twitter.com/ben_rosen/status/1023977708043169792

Edit: VVV or a disposable little gag that amused me when it showed up in my twitter feed, even if it is out of context, while I was just thinking about MI3 and how much I liked PSH and that scene/sequence.

I'll counter it with this to restore balance to the universe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLNUIU7AzTg

That's the good stuff.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 30, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

That's a dumb gotcha, Cruise is playing it like he's clearly in shock and not quite comprehending what's going on. There's nothing there indicating he only notices his wife when the camera movies. Smug b.s. that doesn't understand a reveal to the audience vs a reveal to the character

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 30, 2018

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Raccooon posted:

Fallout felt like they were transitioning Hunt into a international figure. Like talking about what the Americans want in third person. Maybe that was how the IMF referred to the CIA?

Wasn't he saying this while pretending to be Lark? It's how someone like Lark would phrase it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Last night my wife showed me Class of 1999. How have I never heard about this movie? It's incredible! The action's very well directed, it never drags, a great cast, and it's remarkably ahead of its time--it basically uses the silly premise of "cyborg teachers" as a veil to criticize police, particularly police militarization.

Weirdly, but perhaps unsurprising for 1990, it's a movie about the school-to-prison pipeline wherein pretty much everyone is white.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUuYzQukA_c

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Any thoughts on the significance of Homer's Odyssey at the beginning of Fallout? I remember some of the big plot beats of the Odyssey but most don't seem to match anything in the movie, unless Rogue Nation and Fallout are included as one and the underwater sequence in RN is Charybdis. By the end of Fallout it seemed like maybe it was just a reference to Hunt going on all these adventures and ending up back with his wife.

Wish I had known about "The Plot" music before going into the movie. The music stood out to me more than it tends to in big action movies and there seemed to be something to the piece they kept playing. Didn't guess that it came from the TV show because I thought the theme was the only notable music from the show. Very cool. Reminds me of how Bond has the James Bond theme but also the 007 theme (or at least he used to, it was mostly in Connery films).

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
It's odd to think that the classic Mission: Impossible theme was originally only written as a piece of incidental music for a scene in the pilot episode. It was rejigged to become the main theme after show creator Bruce Geller heard it, loved it and wanted more.

It's also kind of funny that it ended up spawning a dance version (the Clayton/Mullen track released alongside M:I1), because Lalo Schifrin specifically wrote it so it couldn't be danced to; he said something like "you could only dance to it if you were an alien with three legs."

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jul 31, 2018

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

It’s kind of interesting that similar to Fast And Furious, the fourth Mission: Impossible film felt like it was where the true mission statement of the franchise was firmly established and maintained going forward. Like I love M:I 3, but Ghost Protocol was the first entry that really pushed the “real death defying stunts” meta-narrative, and coalesced the overall tone into what it continues to be through Fallout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mission Impossible 2 had him up on a cliff climbing with no apparent help.

They even do a helicopter zoom-out to show you that yeah, that's Tom Cruise on the side of a mesa.

Pretty much all the MI stuff in 4+ was in MI2, it's really the prototypical MI movie where the pieces start coming together and Ethan becomes fully superhuman. MI and MI3 are kind of the odd men out.