Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ego-bot posted:

What did everyone think of Hardcore Henry? I loved it, but it seems like it's a pretty divisive movie. I'd put it up there with Mad Max 4, The Raids, John Wicks and Dredd as best action movies of the past few years.

edit: well that's one answer
I think it's a movie that's very easy for people to dismiss as juvenile, but it seriously has a lot of awesome stuff going on. And Sharlto is wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Man... I rented The Raid 2 on Amazon before I realized it only has the English dub for some reason. Should I just not worry about it? I mostly hate dubs.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol for Adkins fans visit the Youtube page for this vid and check the pinned comment :o: I hope he does make an appearance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbxF-s5dvCQ
I've never watched these, and did not expect an amazing stunt from iCarly

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Boco_T posted:

Disturbing the Peace is watchable and even has some Home Alone-style traps in it
Read this as Disturbing the Pearce and I mean come on, how did they not go for that

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

I rewatched Rambo 2 the other night since my friend hadn't seen it or Commando, so we watched both. What's remarkable about it is that they're both really goddamn silly, but not only is commando way more self aware in its silliness, it's also straight up a better made movie. There's so few good shot choices in rambo two aside from a few nice wide shots of landscapes, there's no real flow to any of the action. Every scene is rambo doing something in one shot, only for something to explode or die in a completely different shot. It all feels really cheap and patched together. Also, the whole movie is a collection of people walking and standing really loving weirdly. Steven Berkoff, who is way too loving good for the movie, is the only one who knows how to move and stand on camera.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ui9TwNrNEw

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

For those like me who had been frustrated at how hard it is to find The Raid 2 subbed instead of dubbed, it turns out the Microsoft Store lets you rent/buy the subbed version! Dunno if there's some recent easier option I missed but hey that's cool.

Except, while the Store page says it's useable with the Movies Anywhere app, the movie won't show up on that app even after syncing my Microsoft account. So it seems I can only watch this on a device that supports Microsoft Movies and TV, which is lame. Oh well. Still nice to find a non-physical way to watch this.

E: ah I guess that app maybe just doesn't support rentals, or at least in this case doesn't. It would probably work if I bought it.

Martman fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 7, 2021

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I genuinely didn't know it came in a dubbed version :v:
How did you watch it? Most of the big streaming services seem to only have the dubbed version, although this may have happened some time after the release for some stupid legal reason or something.

fenix down posted:

I wouldn't guarantee that. I bought a movie on there and couldn't watch it using any method. Couldn't get a refund either.
Oof. Yeah I ended up moving my Xbox to watch it on the TV I wanted, but I definitely don't plan to rely on syncing with Movies Anywhere in the future.

EDIT: You know, now that I'm looking it does seem to show up on a few other services. I dunno why Amazon Prime doesn't have the subbed version, and I could have sworn when I first looked for it most other things didn't have it either.

Martman fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 8, 2021

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Terror Sweat posted:

You should watch The Night Comes for Us. Now that movie is brutal as hell and is from the raid guys. Hammer girl is a supporting character and has some crazy cool fights. Honestly the movie probably has the most original action scenes and brutality I've seen in a movie in the longest time
Just googled this 'cause I haven't seen it in a while and I had no idea the creators are hoping to make two sequels. I felt pretty spoiled seeing The Night Comes for Us before The Raid 2 honestly; I still loved it, but TNCFU felt... perfect somehow. Once I can have get-togethers again I desperately want to introduce some action movie fans to it.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Terror Sweat posted:

How do you make a sequel to it lol
I ain't hear no bell at the end of the first one

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I have the whole manga collection of Lone Wolf and Cub, I need to finally get around to watching the movies. The manga is just full of absurd, awesome, and stupid moments like when some witches (or something) attack the main dude in his sleep only to learn that his mastery of the blade and training of his body have allowed him to defend himself while still sleeping.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I stumbled on the opening scene of Vertical Limit on TV when I was probably 14 or so. I had no idea what the movie was or what it was about, and heights can get me feeling pretty spooked anyway, so it hit me pretty hard honestly.

Then I just looked up that scene and it has one of the most unintentionally hilarious endings I've seen in a while: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0gx_D--iDw&t=205s The timing of the cut and the way he lands seriously make it look like he fell like 10, maybe 15 feet.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I think with Cruise it just depends on how you feel about the different phases of his career. There's gonna be some people who love his 80s stuff but not necessarily the Mission Impossible series which dominates his filmography later on. If you're someone who loves Top Gun/The Firm/Rainman/A Few Good Men, also loves stuff like Magnolia/Eyes Wide Shut/Vanilla Sky, AND loves the more recent blockbusters, yea you could argue he has the best overall career of any actor ever.
no I think they were saying he's the best at running, on camera

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Yes I figured that out but was hoping nobody would mention it. Thanks
Lol sorry. I didn't notice the discussion had moved on for days

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

[raiding sounds]

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

I just watched Priest, the Paul Bettany western-sci fi vampire movie, my thoughts were:

- Paul Bettany is great in Equilibrium-level shlock, he might do great in a comic book movie,
lol Paul Bettany is Vision in the MCU tho

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Adkins is super fun in Avengement, I also can't comment on a ton of his work but he hams it up real nice

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Xand_Man posted:

Lukewarm take: Commando probably isn't even in the top 10 Arnold vehicles

its fine :effort:
Imagine being this homophobic

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Shame about the new one

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ty thread for getting me to watch the original Road House. Really unique piece of wacky American machoism, and I totally failed to realize how amazing Swayze is for most of my life.

I do think it kinda drags in the second half; seeing the progress of the bar as Dalton fixes it up is just so engaging and I dunno, I feel like it shouldn't get sidelined so hard. But the fight with Jimmy is amazing, and I had no idea how hard MacGruber was influenced by this single movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

This puts Road House's throat ripping in good company