Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
Interesting looking Korean action flick called Revenger just dropped on Netflix. Anyone know if it's worth a watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007

married but discreet posted:

It's loving amazing, no joke. It goes exactly where you would want an alien invasion movie with the crew from The Raid to go. I was hooting and hollering to myself all throughout the ending.

Can I skip the first one?

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

In general it's not uncommon in a lot of countries for people to mix English into their regular conversations. This is because most of the world has had to adapt to English speakers for a long time and so a high percentage of people in these countries are taught to speak it fluently. It's not like in America where your kid gets like two years of very basic foreign language instruction with zero expectation them ever becoming truly fluent.

So a lot of the time in movies when a character throws in an English expression that's actually pretty true to the way they would speak there, when it's two people conversing know both languages(which again, is very common).

Half-Malay from the UK here, can confirm that all my Malaysian relatives pepper their conversations liberally with bits of English.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Every one of these films is a treasure.

I've only seen Shogun Assassin, which I love and I understand is a recut of the first two movies? Is it worth tracking down all of the originals?

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
if you've ever wanted to see Iko Uwais throw cocaine at an alien and then do silat on it, or watch a giant extraterrestrial mech suplex another giant extraterrestrial mech into a cheaply-rendered CGI Angkor Wat, Beyond Skyline is the movie for you

(it rules)

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Mat Kilau is a pretty bad film but it does have lots of silat, which is relatively rare in movies.

The film is incredibly ultra-nationalistic, seems like every five seconds someone mentions the glory of Allah or their ancestral Malay lands. The British officers (and some of their associated Sikh soldiers - there don't seem to be any British grunts for some reason) are cartoon-villain levels of evil and are played by extremely bad actors, including a Belgian guy with a really weird dyejob.

As a half-Malay Brit, all this is extremely funny to me but I'm not sure there's much here to recommend to anyone who doesn't have such a connection.

edit: it does have Yayan Ruhian from The Raid

Lamont fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 9, 2022

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
There was an episode of Banshee (season 3 I think) that had a good sniper scene in a cornfield

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
how soon we forget Only the Strong

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007

MrBling posted:

If you want to watch something new with Stallone that's also actually good, you should just watch his tv show, Tulsa King.
It's pretty funny and Stallone actually does some acting in it.

I watched the first episode and didn't think too much of it, does it improve?

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007

Dysgenesis posted:

I'm slowly showing my kids (12 and 10) classic films and they watched blade a vouple of weeks ago and thought it was great.

Then I showed them bloodsport.

brick no hit back is an important life lesson for all children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
We should get a Christmas-themed action movie every year

Predator vs Kris Kringle when