Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It’s the full potential of Face/Off brought to life.

Face, off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

My favorite thing about Equilibrium is the realization that Sean Bean really isn't safe in any loving movie. He's sitting alone in a church reading a book and what happens? He gets shot in the face.

Try Stormy Monday, his first lead role. He's fourth-billed behind Sting, Tommy Lee Jones, and Melanie Griffith.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

brocked posted:

Has anyone seen this Nomi rapace closer movie?

I watched about the first 20 minutes of it. I'll get back to it over the weekend. Rapace is doing a very good tough as nails badass, and the opening action sequence is pretty good.

Basebf555 posted:

Fair warning, it's two parts and each part is like 3 hours long. Enjoy!

Bahubali is an amazing action epic. With dancing.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Nice to see Jeeja Yanin working again.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

It would have been cooler if it wasn't her exiting the film after half a fight scene.

I can't wait for her to get back to starring roles. Chocolate, Raging Phoenix, and This Girl is Badass are personal favorites (I thought The Kick was ok). Badass is a weird one - it's actually a parody of martial arts movies. The characters are outrageous, the romantic subplots range from ludicrous but sweet to sweet but ludicrous, all the way down to a showdown in the rain' with the rain turned up an extra notch, and then another notch, and - you guessed it - up again. The fight choreography is super tight though.

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM9AHDXgKb8

The bicycle shop fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32wLKtZ_BJA&t=885s

Then rewind it, that video has one of my favorite boss fights in it. Pity about the massive spoilers for Chocolate in the dojo scene.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Chocolate was one of my favourite movies to show people because it's so loving weird in concept, but so straightforward in execution. After the first twenty minutes or so, it's just a series of increasingly elaborate, nutso fight scenes. Also, the flying spinning kick to the face of the guy who is mid breakdance might be the single most impressive martial arts move I've seen a film.

Raging Phoenix is kind of the opposite. It starts off pretty straight forward, and then goes off the loving deep end (they were harvesting tears, or something?)

RP is bad guys harvesting pheromones versus drunken muy thai fighters. "Drunken" is deliberately ambiguous in that sentence.

That autistic versus autistic fight in Chocolate is genius. the whole movie is up to Jackie Chan standards, especially the warehouse sequence. And if you watch the outtakes at the very end, they really were trying to set her up as the next Jackie Chan. I just want her back as the main head-kicker in movies.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Yeah, for an absolutely tiny lady, she sells the gently caress out of being able to hit really hard. I wrote something on her for some old 'stars of tomorrow' thread and it's sad she's 35 without it having happened, but at least I look better than the guy who was sure Taylor Kitch was the next big thing.

I had her pegged as the next Jackie Chan. Chocolate really sold that, especially with the bloopers and outtakes at the end, just like Jackie's movies. And then there's the warehouse scene, which is pure Jackie Chan (see below). Still, he's 65 and still working, maybe she can get her career going again.

I want to believe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqA-LjKPgpo

Look at that stunt at 2:20. Look at it. That's a career ending injury if she messes it up. And those poor stuntmen, that's a concrete floor they're landing on. God drat but I love Thai martial arts movies.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Chushingura has some spear work in and around the big fight scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfNnGcW8E7g

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

You should. It has at least two action set pieces that are as good as anything else in the genre right now.

let me guess,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncoGCXWf96s

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeTgxaMEyIc

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

And Jeeja Yanin too. Maybe she's getting as much work as she wants, but I want another Chocloate or Raging Phoenix.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

The best gag in Commando is when Matrix is wandering round yelling 'Jenny' and we see some soldier just smoking a cigar, waiting his turn. It confirms that, yeah, these dudes do just sit around waiting to be shot.

Pay attention to the extras getting killed in the big fight at the end. They didn't have enough, so each of them did more than one "getting blowed up" scene. You'll be able to award style points and pick favorites.

Great loving movie.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Narzack posted:

You're right, that is a pretty good scene.

Liberal, but skillful use of pyrotechnics.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

It's amazing how he peaked with Under Siege and then immediately cratered with On Deadly Ground. Under Siege is a truly great action movie, if you haven't seen it you really should. On Deadly Ground on the other hand... hoo boy, that sucked. I'd rate that as one of the worst movies I've ever seen. My RPG/going to the range group all saw it together. Then we went back to someone's apartment, had beers, and tried to piece together what the hell had just happened.

It's bad. It's really bad. It's "star high on his own ego directs the followup to his first smash success, but gets two nobodies to collaborate on their first screenplay" bad. It's the confusing kind of bad.

I wonder what Michael Caine spent his check on ? I bet it was nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyD_6_jFB8A

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

On Deadly Ground at least had a few memorable kills and R Lee Emery being R Lee Emery. Fire Down Below is where it gets really dire.

I"m glad I stopped with his films where we did !

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

The order of any list is just to generate controversy. It’s a good watch list with no major omissions except the aforementioned lack of anything from the Indian subcontinent

You just don't get proper epic from anywhere else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXHwL6-4q7A

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

And also see Raid 2. It's a very different movie from the first one, more of a moody gangland piece, but it still has some amazing(ly brutal) action.

e.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

[*] The setting of the siege/entrapment. The police are trapped yet simultaneously defending the rooms they occupy; they have to fight their way to new positions just to stay one step ahead of their overwhelming attacks. That's such a great framework for their increasingly desperate gambits, heroics that often buy them only a closed door or a temporary hiding place.

Also, was the 2012 Dredd influenced by The Raid? In retrospect the premise seems similar but what do I know, the basic premise could be a staple of the genre with a long tradition.

Surprisingly there was no connection between Dredd and The Raid, we just got lucky and got two great action movies with the same basic premise, just one had martial arts and the other had guns.

The refrigerator bit in The Raid was great. Jakarta really is where it's at these days. You'll also want to look into Tony Jaa, Iko Uwais, and Jeeja Yanin. Tony has a few films on Netflix, but you'll want to find at least the Protector series. Iko starred in The Raid and has done a bunch of other stuff on Netflix. Jeeja Yanin has Chocolate and Raging Phoenix on YouTube's paid side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwutdRZWNEM

I will shut up about this movie when I see other people talking about how awesome it is.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

dokmo posted:

They also listed the 10 worst:

The Kick (2011, Thailand/South Korea)

The Kick wasn't great, but I don't know if it makes the absolute bottom of the list. It was more dull than bad.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Or you can get supremo poo poo like the kitchen fight in the Raid 2. You are right, kitchen fights are extremely good.

Does a meat packer's count ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41md7xGoxLQ

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

dokmo posted:

I gave Special ID a rewatch. Not a great flick, but the fight scenes are very good. Donnie Yen was going through a period of more realistic fight choreography, and there's not a lot of flashy kicks here, but lots of grappling instead. It's crazy how much better the fights are filmed in even the most routine Donnie Yen movie compared to literally any hollywood studio movie with 20 times the budget (aside from John Wicks I guess).

Those are superb fights, I love the more realistic style.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

The Raid is one of the top 5 action movies of the last 20 years so it's definitely worth the rental price, I wouldn't be concerned about that. Just watch it.

And the second one is a truly beautifully shot gangland film with some great brooding, moody moments. And more action scenes by the Raid team, plus one of the greatest car chases of all time. And Hammer Girl.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The camera move in that chase is the tits :allears:

The camera handoff shot is amazing, I love that the second operator is wearing basically a seat's upholstery so he isn't visible in the shot. That segment starts at about 1:50, but I'm not timestamping it - too much good stuff to skip any.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErrRhXItBWc

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

Oh ok. I’ve never really watched many non American action movies and I’m trying to branch out after seeing the Raid movies.

Tony Jaa's stuff is good. Tech Akarapol is a producer who's done some very good movies, anything on his list should be a solid two hours of fun.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3094145/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cr2
And of course, Jackie Chan's entire Hong Kong corpus of work.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Time to repost this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Boco_T posted:

Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (2020) - 3/5
Entertaining movie, though none of the humor landed for me and that hurt it. All of the action was top-notch, though. The direction and editing were restrained enough to not eat up the impacts and there was a ton of good environment use. Runtime was a little long but what can you do, overall it was still worth my time.

Now check out the Harley Quinn animated series. It starts off as a cartoon that says gently caress and has gratuitous gore and turns into a serious cartoon about relationships and overcoming your inner demons... that says gently caress and has gratuitous gore.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

FancyMike posted:

Baahubali 2 is so loving good.

Right ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6Fpm-T1sUM

There's no way that scene should work as shot; most directors couldn't shoot it as written. And yet there it is, the platonic ideal of the action scene, at least in the "two romantic leads fight side by side" category.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Martman posted:

Man... I rented The Raid 2 on Amazon before I realized it only has the English dub for some reason. Should I just not worry about it? I mostly hate dubs.

You've spent the money and it's a good gangster film with beautiful cinematography and amazing action sequences. If you hate the dub, turn it off. If you don't, you get your money's worth. A win-win situation, which is a better deal than anyone in the movie is gonna get.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Speaking of Brandon Lee, go watch Rapid Fire. It's loving dope.

I liked the Mortal Kombat movie well enough, too bad Brandon didn't live to star in it - that was his vehicle all the way.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Hirez posted:

Who are the other big "straight to dvd" action stars that have "good" movies now that I've pretty much run through the Adkins catalog. Michael Jai White/Mario Van Peebles (still maybe?) are ones I can think of that I haven't seen any movies they lead. Any recommendations?

For Michael Jai White you must see Black Dynamite. Both the film and the animated series they made.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Jinnigan posted:

Has anyone seen that Mulan film because I really need to bellyache about how miserable that action is

I saw the 15 second clip of the arrow scene at the end. loving terrible.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Dog_Meat posted:

For the posters who are just starting their Van Damme journey - don't be fooled by one version of the box artwork for J.C.V.D

It's an absolutely amazing film (seriously), but it's NOT an action movie. For some reason the cover on my DVD copy has a generic straight-to-DVD cover complete with giant floating Van Damme head and some building exploding.

Also, don't watch it unless you're a serious Van Damme fan who grew up with his movies and knows his history of being a bit batshit because that movie really does tear JC open for all to see.

This is all true, especially the bit about it being an amazing movie.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

dokmo posted:

I didn't notice that! Here is the short, it's pretty slick filmmaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElWz8oWQ8nc

Pro-click.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

dokmo posted:

this popped up in my recommendations, a 15 minute short in the style of 70s shaw brothers kung fu movies.

That's a loving tribute to everyone who's ever made a loving tribute to something. As usual for 1970s kung ku movies, the Foley team caries the production, but the concept and especially the second fight are above reproach. I'm grateful it was linked here.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The loving powder coming off the hits! Very nice!

e. That's a difference of about 8 months between the two videos. They learned a lot from the 80s project to the 70s. I'm going to have to keep an eye on this studio, they're likely to drop a classic on us without warning.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Dec 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

dokmo posted:

I enjoyed this, this is much better than the usual martial artists react to movie fights videos.

I checked out a few of their other videos and hit subscribe. Any channel that stans Iko Uweis is okay by me.