Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The Action Movie Discussion Thread

Hidden gems, latest finds, and choreography/editing/cinematography appreciation

Hi friends! Welcome to the CineD action movies thread.

I find discussions are best if we don't set too many rules but here's fun things that we can try to focus on:

Action Moviefights - who doesn't love these
Hidden Gems - and writeups why they are good
Choreography discussion/breakdowns
News and anything upcoming things in the genre you want us to know about

There's a lot of space to work with here. Action movies are hugely popular mainstream entertainment, but they also have a lot of DTV releases and other small films at the margins. Some of them are legit awesome movies that you should check out.

Having said that there's two other threads with a lot of overlap here and we should try to use them if relevant:

The Martial Arts Movie Thread
Comic Book Movie Thread

Surprisingly, there isn't a Westerns thread so you can probably discuss them cowpokes here, if you want. Lots of them are also action movies IMO.

I don't think anyone would mind cross-posts if you made some detailed point/discussion/review that could conceivably belong in this thread and in those threads.

So let's get going!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

To start us off (and date us) here's a trailer for Triple Threat, an upcoming action movie featuring a bunch of big DTV and martial arts names.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVbvxh-_2Ts

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I didn't like Headshot, and right when it got to the scene with the bus I turned it off. It simply took it's "these are real bad guys doing real bad stuff" shtick into pointless nihilism way too quickly. No thanks.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Basebf555 posted:

I can understand that, but at the same time you turned it off before any of the real action scenes got going. The reckoning as it were.

Is that the last of that sort of pointless slaughter scene? If so, I'll get back to it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Wandle Cax posted:

Is this the best action ensemble cast ever assembled? It seems that way

Martial Arts wise, yes. I think Expendables probably had "bigger" names if you're an 80s guy, but they were largely wasted.

A reminder that Undisputed 4 is coming to Blu-Ray on August 1st. If you haven't seen the Undisputed movies they are the kings of the DTV fight movies and incredibly good. Watch Undisputed 2 and 3!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Killzone 2 is, no bullshit, my favorite action movie of the last few years. Yes, this means it beats John Wick and John Wick 2. It really is a return to the pitch-perfect melodrama and beautiful fighting of HK's heyday.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

SPL is my favorite HK movie of the 00s. It would probably be higher on my overall list but it's insanely nihilistic. It works so hard to earn it (and continually messes with expectations) so I'll give it a pass. The fact that Killzone 2 pretty much lives up to it was incredible IMO.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 8, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Wu Jing is also good as the bad guy in the original SPL Killzone. He's good.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Universal Soldier: Regeneration is really good and you should watch it.

Boyka: Undisputed (aka Undisputed 4) is on USA Netflix. I highly recommend everyone see Undisputed 2 and 3 before watching it, which will introduce you to Scott Adkin's Riddick and make you root for the angry SOB.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

muscles like this! posted:

I watched Killzone 2 tonight and while the fight scenes were really good I thought the beginning of the movie was overly complicated. Where it started out at the prison and then did an elaborate flashback to how he ended up there.

Yes that got me the first time too.

It's totally unnecessary and I don't know why they did it. However once I re-watched the movie and "got it" it became an all-time great. Coincidentally that second time was with a friend and I said to him "ok, there's a flashback here" and he was able to follow it and loved it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

John Woo went from one guy with two pistols to two guys with one pistol. Definitely evolving.

Edit: I know I'm just being a nostalgic dweeb who is wallowing in the past but I really wish he could get Chow Yun-Fat for one movie more. The dude is looking a little older but he's still got the chops. I would love to see him make a wild swing at one more operatic blood opera with the old gang. Even if it were mediocre poo poo I would cherish it forever.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 15, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Neo Rasa posted:

He might still be in HK Movie Jail after dropping out of Red Cliff the week before it started filming going by a lot of the stuff he's been in lately. :(

gently caress. I hadn't considered that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I see John Woo is back to his old tricks again...And they're really good tricks!!!!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm watching Ladyhawke and the music is so bad, you guys. It sounds like it should be in a fast food training video.

Aw come on, it's not that bad. (it's pretty bad though)

Should have used Goblin. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQejiArD608)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Neo Rasa posted:

Ladyhawke is awesome and has the best TurboGrafx-CD soundtrack ever made.

Double Nope.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu_pNnEymLY)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Wick and Cassain together is some prime HK-style heroic bloodshed in the making, I'll tell you what.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Taintrunner posted:

Kermode reviewed Villainess and said it's loving phenomenal, wipes the floor with American Assassin, which makes me so happy. Now if only it was showing in NYC!

It's not showing anywhere that I can see.

Also happy to hear that Woo made a winner, even if it's not "his best movie" (fuckin' high bar, there, guys!)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Snowman_McK posted:

Even by Hard Boiled, Woo had acquired a lot of self awareness, which he then threw out for his Hollywood run.

Better Tommorow 2 has the often-joked-about but never-used "here's a twin brother that was never mentioned before!" gag and that was 1987. Woo has always been willing to clown around a bit and definitely has a mischievous streak. It's why he spent half a decade trying to make a Once A Thief television show.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean Hard Boiled has the hospital shootout, in which Chow Yun-Fat mercs like 50 dudes while holding a baby

While singing a lullaby! And bleeding from a gunshot wound! And he catches on fire and the baby pisses and puts it out!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Is there any discussion/hype at all in seeing Arnold Schwarzenegger's Killing Gunther movie?

Have not heard anything about this, either pro or con.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Here's a fawning GQ article on Jackie Chan.

https://www.gq.com/story/jackie-chans-gq-profile-2017

That's ok. Jackie Chan deserves to be fawned over.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Lobok got hit by that Christmas creep, happens to the best of us.

they've already got the decorations up at Home Depot, frankly it's disgusting

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Attn: Lobok and anyone else who shoves a Christmas tree up my butt

It's much easier to get it out than put it in. I'll handle it myself, on my own timetable.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 24, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I watched Security on Netflix on the recommendation of OutlawVern, who claimed that it was a decent genre DTV action film. It starts Antonio Banderas.

I'm sorry to say that I didn't like it very much. It's shot ok, although there's some terrible cuts around Big Action Moments that they obviously couldn't budget or figure out how to stage.

It's in an ugly mall set that looks very artificial. The performances and characters are ok, the action is mostly very uninspired, and the bad guys feel like mooks (which is really bad when they're supposed to be threatening). The story is uneven, I dunno this just didn't work for me. None of the emotional moments really connected.

Banderas is the highlight, but the direction of him is uneven, sometimes he seems depressed and sometimes he seems like a wise-rear end and it's very inorganic.

Anyway it's not the worst thing ever and as a DTV action-watcher I've definitely seen lots worse and it's not unwatchable but...well just beware, is all I have to say.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BTW one of the dudes responsible for John Wick's stunts is taking a crack at directing a movie called 24 Hours to Live with Ethan Hawke.

I've always liked Hawke and he never phones it in so it might be pretty good. Both of the early reviews I found from the trades say it's a mixed bag but a more genre site really loved it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh8kIybhPUo

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Saw the Villainess, will echo that it's good and worth seeing. Does a lot of fun camera stuff, has a real sense of momentum and propulsion when it's not dicking around with Days of Our Assassin Lives poo poo.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Soliciting any feedback on BRAWL IN CELL BLOCK 99, anyone got anything to say? OutlawVern liked it a lot.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Maybe Mindwarp? It has a lot of chase scenes and horror elements but there is some action in there. Probably more horror though. Not sure it's really worth watching either...

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

He'll pull a Stephen Soderbergh, absolutely.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yeah Six String Samurai got a big boost from AintItCool news hyping the hell out of it at the time, but it really isn't very good. It has a rockin' soundtrack and a cool premise (old 50s rock fights 80s metal in a post-apocalyptic desert to crown the new King Of Vegas) but does nothing with it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Gatts posted:

It is pretty fantastic but I've always wondered what deep passion Mel has for vivid violence. I don't mind it to a degree because it doesn't sanitize things and its very visceral but it seems almost obsessive the way it's always prevalent in his movies.

On the Braveheart commentary he admits to cutting a frame or two at impact out to make the hits seem harder and jerkier. I don't think he believes in sanitizing violence.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yes, Top Gun is a martial arts movie. It takes place in a tournament (who willl be Top Gun?), after an accident caused by his own hubris the protagonist doubts his ability to fight (fly) again, etc.

Just replace "flying jets" with "martial arts" and it's absolutely 100% a martial arts action film.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

The Last Boy Scout and True Romance are my favorite Tony Scott movies, although they have more to do with Shane Black, Tarantino, and the excellent casts in both.

I've still never seen Top Gun. No interest in it whatsoever.

Top Gun had an enormous amount of influence on 80s action movies for a couple of years until Die Hard came out; you really should see it if only as a historical touchstone.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yeah when I said "touchstone" I meant that it made a big splash in cultural consciousness and also clearly influenced later movies.

Something like Dirty Harry would be a good candidate. Something like The Killer, which had an enormous influence on action movies but virtually no one in the West knew about, wouldn't. (tho you could say The Killer was a touchstone to HK audiences)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I had written a big post earlier about touchstones that listed them by category and year like

Vehicle Chase:
Bulitt
French Connection
Mad Max The Road Warrior

but around the 30th movie I stopped because it was getting ridiculous and also I didn't want to miss stuff. If you guys are interested you should pick a genre and list all the super important touchstones (remember: cultural awareness of the film is important)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ben Foster deserves your respect.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

You guys should read the Wikipeadia entry on Tango and Cash, I always thought something felt "off" about it and oh boy...it had troubles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tango_%26_Cash

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Fart City posted:

I still say my ideal action movie TV series adaption would be True Lies with Terry Crews in the Schwarzenegger role. Part Expendables, part Everybody Hates Chris, all Terry all the time.

Who plays the Bill Paxton character that he repeatedly abuses and is constantly loving with?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I convinced my brother to see Rumble in the Bronx with me in the theater (I had already gotten some VHS rips of Operation Condor and Wheels on Meals from LA Chinatown so I was fully in the Cult of Jackie) and he gave me a big ration of poo poo at the beginning of the movie because it was typical Jackie mugging and cheeseball humor. But he hung in there and when he had the big fight at the gang lair he totally loving lost it, he grabbed my shoulder and growled "HOW IS HE DOING THIS?!?!??" in a sort of tonal combination of "gently caress yeah!" and total astonishment.

From then on we never missed a movie (until after Rush Hour 2)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Fart City posted:

Mission Impossible: 2 would be a lot easier to watch if it was like, twenty minutes shorter. It’s really bloated and has some serious pacing issues. And it doesn’t really go full Woo until the very end when there is a motorcycle fight scene.

I’ll always have a soft spot for Face/Off, but Hard Target is my favorite American Woo joint. Van Damme in his spin-kickiest prime, Lance Henrikson playing to the rafters, Wilfred Brimley doing a Cajun accent, snake punching. What’s not to love?

and the goddamn mummy is their henchman!!!!