Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Halloween Jack posted:

Was it hilarious? Because I figured it was going to come off as extremely nerdy. I don't even train, brah.

no it ruled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Neo Rasa posted:

Though I will say to their credit, the shot of SkyNet John struggling to walk away from the MRI and him leaving shadows of himself behind made up of hordes of nanomachine is legit striking and something I've never seen anything quite like in any movie. Probably the best scene in Genisys and would have been a worthy final death scene effect instead of what we got.

Yeah that was super-dope, if the movie had more stuff like that it would have been better.

Another thing I found strange was the whole T-800 Young Arnie scene, the punks were costumed correctly but literally had nothing else right about them - wrong hair, too much makeup, different (weaker) acting choices....just bizarre to put huge amounts of money into a stoic CGI Arnold and then surround him with clowns.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Payndz posted:

Actually, a problem I had with all Nolan's Bat-films is that they were all so loving sterile. It's summed up by an early scene in the last one where Gordon and co are going down a manhole in an alley - except the alley looks like it's just been scrubbed and steam-cleaned, with no dirt or garbage or anything to suggest this is a bad part of town. Gotham became a bland concrete and steel Anywheresville, USA.

I'd have to go back and see the scene but there are explicitly two Gothams in Batman Begins. You go down a ramp or take a wrong turn and you're in Bad Gotham.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

You know, now that I think about it, there's a sort of Morlock-Eloi going on in Nolan's Batman. A lot of focus on subterranean worlds where the real power gets wielded in Batman Begins and Rises (not so much Dark Knight)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It takes a lot of work to look good with a firearm. I love Face/Off but Nic Cage Gun Face is a real thing.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Started reading the Forgotbusters and it is already losing me. Golden Child completely not funny? This is fuckin' preposterous. It's mostly not funny.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ok this review of the Golden Child is loving insufferable.

quote:

Informed that a woman he has been speaking with is 300 years old and her mother was raped by a dragon, he responds with a joyless, “Does that happen a lot where you’re from?”

There's literally nothing about the scene that's "joyless", one of the entire premises of the movie's comedy is here's this guy that doesn't take all this mystical poo poo seriously and just sort of deadpans his way through it. Does this remind anyone of another movie, perhaps? Big trouble in Little China? Imagine if I said "After being blinded by the spirit of a centuries old Chinese warrior, Jack Burton joylessly whines about his missing truck," because that's the exact same level of analytical effort that this dude is putting in.

This is another "justification pretending to be criticism" article.

(btw, Golden Child is a massively lesser version of Big Trouble but pretending that Eddie Murphy is lifeless in it is bizarre. He basically saves the movie with his shtick and charisma)

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 18, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

yeah, you're starting to see the problem with Nathan Rabin. he's incapable of liking individual parts of a movie he, on the whole, dislikes; a movie's either Good or Complete Hot Garbage, with literally no in-between, and if he's decided a movie is the latter he will twist every possible positive aspect into actually being lovely. he will also refuse to say why he thought something was bad, instead treating it as self-evident and calling people who disagree idiots.

He's goddamn awful, is what he is.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Cassian is absolutely going to start the movie going after Wick and then switch sides mid-picture when he realizes his employers are morally degenerate pieces of poo poo willing to murder any number of innocents to get the payout.

These guys are too savvy in the ways of heroic bloodshed to do it any other way.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

When I was 14 my friend gave me a VHS copy of Lifeforce and when I asked him what it was about he told me "it doesn't matter"

He was right...also the movie owns on its own merits.

In other news I watched the Guy Richie King Arthur movie and I'm sad it flopped. It's actually really good. It has imaginative action set-pieces (they overuse one cool idea), some great visual design, and an adequate performance from Charlie Hunnam. There's also a couple of action sequences done via montage that I enjoyed the hell out of. Full disclosure: I liked Lock Stock and Snatch a lot when I was younger, so the kinetic editing and the more tempered version of the "smarmy street smart Richie character" really clicked with me. Also I really enjoy John Boorman's Excalibur but don't give a hoot about the movie being the "proper" Arthurian legend.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 25, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I know I already said it but King Arthur Legend of the Sword is absolutely worth a watch if you've ever enjoyed Guy Ritchie stuff.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Wheat Loaf posted:

I actually enjoyed both his Sherlock Holmes movies and his The Man From U.N.C.L.E. remake a lot, but I'm a) predisposed to like both detectives and spies; b) not terribly interested in Arthurian legend* stories; and c) what little I've seen of the film doesn't really appeal to me.

There's almost zero Arthurian legend in Richie's King Arthur. It's one of his lad movies with a magic sword.

I watched Warcraft and that's one of the most muddled films I've seen in a while. Reverses history in order to make the First Nation types the bad guys, has a terrible moral, is just a terrible film on every level. Retroactively made Duncan Jones' other two movies worse.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Reminder, with Black Panther coming out: we'll be lucky if it's half as good as Blade.

http://outlawvern.com/2016/04/04/the-loose-canon-blade/

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Hmmmm...that's true.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Fart City posted:

I... honestly can’t of anything I would change in the first Blade movie. Like, you wouldn’t really think of it as a “perfect” movie, but for what it is and what genre it’s a part of... it’s pretty goddamn close to perfect.

The beginning of the film is literally perfect. It tells you everything you need to know about the world, Blade, and his relationship with it in about 10 minutes. Every single shot and every single beat is exactly as it should be. It's economical, it has great visuals, a radical soundtrack, great choreography, and even ends with a visual gag (a guy on fire being put out...as the movie slows down).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Let's list some action movies that give you the hero's entire oeuvre in under 20 minutes:

Blade
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Cliffhanger
Dredd

keep it going...

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I think he berates himself with "Nice job John....real fuckin' mature" right near the 20 minute mark, so good catch.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Most of his character work is done before he even gets up to the party, Argyle pretty much describes who John is during the limo ride. Die Hard has dope action scenes, but people overlook just how great and efficient its script is, especially for a 2 hour+ genre movie.

Well, I think a big part of the character is the self doubt and the making mistakes. Him screaming "come the gently caress down here and arrest me!" and "I'll kiss your fuckin' dalmatian!" really sells the idea that he's in WAY over his head, this is not your Arnie/Stallone macho action guy.

And of course everything he says before the fire hose scene.

(also the litany of profanity he lets out and the fact that he seems genuinely psychotically angry when he's fighting Carl.)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Fart City posted:

”I’m gonna kill ya, then I’m gonna cook ya, and then I’m gonna fuckin EAT ya” is soooo loving good.

They completely dropped this aspect of the character going forward, right?

Like it's one of my favorite things in a movie: how mad, how supremely pissed, how insanely murderously angry do you have to be to hang a guy from a chain? The answer is: that mad.

There's also the part when John falls to the ground after he hooks Karl on the chain, you're like "oh it's the last of his his energy, he's gassed" then he just gets up, checks his ammo (underrated badass moment right here, he's covered in blood and sells getting absolutely focused), and charges up the stairs to save the people.

I love how the movie basically gets him worked into a heroic frenzy and he blows all his energy in a mad dash to save the hostages. Afterwards he's completely wrecked. A little bit of it is a put-on to disarm Hans....but not that much.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Payndz posted:

Which is why the current idea for Die Hard 6 being a "young John McClane's first big explosive adventure!" story is so loving terrible. Yes, McClane's a New York cop and probably a pretty good one who's handled a fair amount of trouble, but everything he does in the first movie makes it 100% clear that dealing with murderous international terrorists is way beyond his experience.

Yeah one of the smartest things about Die Hard is they find like 10 ways to convey an idea. McClane isn't just out of his depth, the poor fucker isn't even wearing shoes!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Some action movies built for a franchise:
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Dredd
Blade

Some ones that weren't:
Taken
The Matrix
Speed

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Functionally Neo doesn't need it, though. That's why I'm saying The Matrix was not built for a franchise. It ends with Neo literally defying death, being invincible, untouchable, being able to blow the system apart from the inside (a visual metaphor that caps the movie's MASSIVE anti-authority angle) and finally crashing the system and transforming into Superman and flying directly out of the screen.

There's nowhere to go from there, the movie is complete, the themes fully explored, the questions answered.

Stuff like Dredd and Indy and even Star Wars frame themselves as a journey of character growth.The movie ends and the antagonist is beaten in the short term but the character can still learn more. Indy finds his faith, abandons "fortune and glory", reconnects with his dad. Dredd learns to appreciate the soft touch. But The Matrix ends with Neo crashing the system, by all measures in complete control, transcending the idea of human limitations and literally throws it in your face on the way out the door.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 1, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't disagree, but if you're going to make a Matrix sequel, it had better have kung fu fighting.

Like, imagine someone saying that there's no plausible or logical reason for Harry Callahan to be on the street after the first movie, and Magnum Force is a lousy movie because he doesn't spend the whole film in a desk job.

Oh yeah we're 100% on the same page here.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Snowman_McK posted:

Don't forget that the effect of the upgrades is that he can't fight them with one hand.

This is a progression in a sequence that ends with Neo "fighting" them with no hands.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Halloween Jack posted:

Something I find interesting about Doc Savage and the Shadow is that they have a large cast of supporting characters who are all experts at something. I like the idea of The Shadow being an identity shared by multiple people.

Zorro had this too! It got quietly dropped.

Fun fact: the first Zorro story doesn't reveal that Zorro and Diego are the same guy until the end! It's written as two different characters.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

You don't need to re-invent Zorro, all the necessary changes were done in Mask of Zorro, they made him a cool bandito elevated to nobility, then for whatever reason they lost heart in it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Moon Knight is really good, I love his mercurial nature. Everybody who writes him plays with the nature of his reality. In fact a major bombshell just dropped for the character last month and it's...well let's just say it's very soap opera but it opens up a lot of possibilities.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Halloween Jack posted:

What's the issue?

Moon Knight #190

It's a new guy running the series with a new arc and I'm not quite sold on it. But he's not afraid to swing big so I respect that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

"do you want to be a farmer? here's a couple of achers" is all time top tier Arnie one-liner and it slides right by most people

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

That is also very good

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I want to talk about Brawl in Cell Block 99. I loathe this movie. Spoilers.

I dunno if it's common to all teen boys or just my maladjusted group, but my friends and I used to have conversations about the worst forms of torture. "Cut open a scrotum and place a hot coal in it", "put bamboo shoots into your eyes", that kind of thing. Just pure mindless cruelty, a bunch of bored powerless kids imagining themselves being able to inflict pain and misery on someone for kicks. And that's pretty much how this movie operates.

Here's the thing: this movie degrades all the characters. The guards, the prisoners, everyone. There's literally one women in it and she cheats on her husband - of course she does. It's one of the most juvenile, misanthropic movies I've ever seen.The main character is degraded at his job, degraded economically, does the wrong thing for a bit, then finally the "right thing" to save human lives and is degraded by a judge, degraded in prison by other prisoners and the guards, then dies. There is no redemption. There is no salvation. Nothing is learned. This is a vicious, nihilistic movie. Vince Vaughn essentially plays Job - he is punished merely for existing in this evil, misanthropic script. He is dropped into successfully lower levels of Hell for making a moral decision, then has his dignity and family taken from him. It's only a question of how badly he'll hurt the "deserving" as he plummets into the lake of fire which is not something any version of me over the age of 15 gives a gently caress about.

I thought Vaugn's performance was great. He doesn't move well in the fights but he's an enormous guy and sells the idea of a reformed giant with an absolutely seething cauldron of anger and grievance at the injustice of his life bubbling at the core of his soul. Which is why the movie doing everything it can to degrade him short of prison rape (that's reserved as a threat for the bad guy - again, a puerile and immature movie) is so affecting.

The last shot of this film is Vince Vaugn's hangdog, soulful face - which we've been staring into for most of the movie - blown to pieces by a fascist cop's bullet. A perfect capstone to the over 2 hours of bloated misery. This film hates its main character and hates the audience the same way I did at 15. It's an edgy little boy's fantasy of rape and cutting the limbs of fetuses and smashing your opponet's faces to jelly and getting your revenge on your enemies while you hold your guts in. It needs to grow the gently caress up.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

FancyMike posted:

Yeah we need more grown up, adult prison movies. Like Riki-Oh

You're misunderstanding. Prison movies don't need to grow up. This particular movie does.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

married but discreet posted:

That's an accurate assessment of the movie, it's modern day exploitation. I liked it but I can 100% see where people who don't are coming from.

Exploitation and grindhouse is not nihililsm, in my opinion.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Accident Man review:

If all VoD releases were this good I would be a happy man. This is a breezy, somewhat tongue-and-cheek action movie about a hitman who works for a firm setting up people's murders as "accidents". After his ex-girlfriend dies he decides to investigate her death and gets into some poo poo. There's a passing similarity to John Wick in that there's a hitman pub where all the hitmen gather but it's based on a comic from 1991 (and I'm sure that similarity helped it get funded).

When I say the movie is "somewhat tongue-in-cheek" I mean the characterizations and world. The action is dead loving serious, shot and performed well, and casts such DTV luminaries as Michael Jai White, Ray Park (Darth Maul himself! And he's still got it) and up-and-coming Woman of Action Amy Johnston, who really kicks rear end btw. The movie ambles along and gives a nice framework to hang a bunch of fist fights on. One thing I appreciated is this movie's very pre-Die Hard sensibility toward the male lead - it's the return of the badass "I can confidently kick everyone's rear end except for (maybe) the last guy in the movie while cracking one-liners" style of action hero, a sort of pumped-up Seagalesque superhuman who confidently navigates the plot.

This is definitely worth a four dollar rental on your favorite VoD service, maybe even a buy if the material resonates with you (it did for me). My three complaints are that a flashback sequence goes on for a little too long, the movie's editing is very workmanlike and could have benefited from a bit more flair and energy, and finally that Michael Jai White's face looks puffy and a bit unnatural...hope it's from plastic surgery and not from sickness or drugs.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Crion posted:

Both he and Ray Park looked like they'd put on a little weight since I last saw them in something, which given that they're 50 and 43 respectively (Jesus Christ) didn't seem too odd, especially since the last time I saw Ray Park in something might literally be rewatching the Phantom Menace a couple years ago.

I love that that their hand-to-hand fight with Adkins is in bulky Gis so nobody had to get into "show your abs" shape, except Adkins (and even then he wears a leather jacket for almost the whole movie so as not to upstage his co-stars.)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It's almost like it's deliberately bad. Like it goes out of it's way to miscast roles, undermine its plot, tank its theme, introduce interesting characters and then cut away from them for most of the movie, have terrible production design, etc.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Lady Bloodfight:

Imagine making an low budget all-female fighting tournament movie set in Hong Kong. It features the city as almost a secondary character. It has a bunch of great physical actresses who are powerful and skilled, if a little thin on the acting chops. And it's shot absolutely incompetently, every single loving fight framed badly and diced into hash by incompetent direction and editing.

What an absolute letdown.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 26, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Payndz posted:

Having rewatched the Raiders truck chase like I said I would, there's one more thing making it great that I can't believe I forgot to mention: Harrison loving Ford.

He doesn't have a word of dialogue after "I don't know, I'm making this up as I go", just grunts and gasps and little "nrruh" noises. His acting is entirely physical, but it's great - everything is conveyed by his expression. He starts out frantic, begins to get into the thrill of the chase once he gains control of the truck, gets cocky - and is then shot. After that, it's all rising desperation and panic and sheer Nazi-hating fury until he finally wins out. It's brilliant, and again it tells a mini-story by itself.

Harrison Ford has the best Let's GO face of any actor ever. The part earlier in the movie at the German Flying Wing where he realizes that Marion is going to die if he doesn't win the fist fight right now and just throws screaming haymakers at the big German mechanic while the soundtrack blasts brass all over the place is great...and then he loses and is only saved by pure luck! This plays with our expectations and it becomes so incredibly triumphant when, a few scenes later, he's thrown out of the truck and drags his way back into the cab to utterly unload on the German soldier and, this time, win.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Greengrass sucks. Jason Bourne's loving trailer had a better shot of his one-punch victory than the actual movie. He's a poo poo action director, and btw I can follow most of his stuff better than most people and like the Bourne movies. I just think his cinematography is trash and doesn't help.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I think what they are actually noticing is the sense of immediacy that he adds. And he does. He gets right in there, close to the action, inches from windshield or a couple feet away from the combatants. But it's possible to do that and still give people an idea of what's going on, and still let them enjoy the choreography and craftsmanship of the fight. He dices that to hash.