Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I remain surprised to this day that people didn't think this movie kicked rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

The ridiculous plot and gimmick are, honestly speaking, the kind of thing more movies need.

It's also got a much more interesting take on its premise than I suspected it would.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The thing that makes Hobo With A Shotgun work is that none of it is treated like a joke.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

sponges posted:

Those indie movies wish they could be as good as Plan 9

For real.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MrBling posted:

I just remembered that Michael Caine was a vigilante action guy in 2009 at the age of ~75.

is Harry Brown a movie worth watching?

Yep.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

Brawl in Cell Block 99 was extremely entertaining. Surprisingly, Vaughn is perfectly cast. It's easy to forget how big he is.

Seriously.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lobok posted:

Oh my god some of the best theatre experiences I ever had were seeing whatever new Jackie Chan movie was out.

I'll always remember seeing Drunken Master 2 and this one guy way in front of me getting up and yelling "rewind that poo poo!" after Jackie did something especially awesome.

The thing I remember about seeing DM2 in the theater is that people could tell it was an older film, like obviously from the early 90s, yet no one cared because the action was light years ahead of anything going on in American action films at the time. One of the only action films I'd seen at that point where people just stayed through the credits.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

sean10mm posted:

poo poo, I think the first Jackie Chan movie I saw was fuckin' Operation Condor.

Is that the one where Hitler shows up at the end in a wheelchair?

Snowman_McK posted:

It still is light years ahead. I mean, everyone's imitating the Raid, now, but no matter how much money they throw at Whichever Chris/Hemsworth is there, they're a long way behind a bunch of mad Indonesians, and even further behind Chan.

The fight on/under the train against the loving DIRECTOR, Lau Kar-Leung, is like the 4th best action sequence in the film and to this day blows away practically any fight scene in any American action film.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 13, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lobok posted:

And the "Superman!" fight at the end in the wind tunnel.

Speaking of that fight, I feel like I haven't yet reached galaxy brain-level appreciation of Chan unless I watch Buster Keaton films. I never have. I know I should watch them for their own sake but to really get an artist it's good to appreciate their influences.

Keaton's films own. They're very experimental and ambitious, there's never any slack or downtime in any of them (as compared to Chaplin, say, who was big on sentiment). Not until Bugs Bunny would you really see films racing from joke to joke like that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Project A has an homage to Keaton (or perhaps Harold Lloyd) hanging from the clock tower, except on Project A Chan actually falls 60 feet through several awnings before landing in his head.

Yeah, that's a Harold Lloyd deal.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Halloween Jack posted:

The Keysi Fighting Method in Jack Reacher is very bad. I hope that fad is dead now.

Were you the one that typed up that hilarious post about KFM?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Halloween Jack posted:

Was it hilarious? Because I figured it was going to come off as extremely nerdy. I don't even train, brah.

Nah, it was really funny.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Neo Rasa posted:

I like the Keysi Fighting Method a lot honestly because it has the potential to look really cool in an action movie, but it was completely superfluous in the Nolan movies because of how the action was filmed.

I'm glad Dunkirk turned out well because I was almost convinced Nolan didn't know how to shoot action.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Everyone hates Ayer now, probably due to Suicide Squad (which I hated too, mostly as a fan of the original comics) and Bright. But he has written and/or directed some good movies too. I personally love Street Kings, which is more "crime" than "action," but a lot of people slept on it when it came out. It is written by James freakin' Ellroy, maybe the best living crime/mystery novelist, and it has a stacked cast: Keanu Reeves, Hugh Laurie, Forest Whitaker, Chris Evans, Terry Crews.

I don't hate him, I love the guy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wheat Loaf posted:

Rhona Mitra was the model and voice for Lara Croft between 1997 and 1998.

To this day I wonder if Rhona Mitra is bitter about Kate Beckinsale.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snowman_McK posted:

the fact that they both exist and look almost identical?

Rhona Mitra was clearly like a year or two early to being Kate Beckinsale, yeah.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I feel like there's just enough, if there was more, the actual movie would seem totally bewildering.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think I'm still a little mad at Mummy Returns.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Who came from horror films, just to bring it full circle.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Fart City posted:

Street Fighter: The Movie is a terrible Street Fighter, but a fantastic G.I Joe Movie. You even have Sagat playing Destro!

To this point, Hasbro put out Street Fighter 2 toys (with the SF Movie designs) out in the GI Joe line.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wheat Loaf posted:

Did anyone see Free Fire from last year or the year before and, if so, how is it? It passed me by but its description makes it sound like something that was written to appeal to me specifically.

I couldn't stand it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Kevin Dunn is not particularly skilled at his job. He's very skilled at keeping his job. The WWE TV production is like 25 years behind even the cheapest TLC reality show.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That or you could just watch Jackie Chan: My Stunts on repeat.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wheat Loaf posted:

Has Forest Whitaker done many movies where he uses his martial arts? The only one that occurs to me off the top of my head is Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai, and an episode of Criminal Minds that acted as the in-series pilot for his short-lived spin-off where he's introduced stick-fighting.

Redbelt sequel NOW.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Space Truckers is legit.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FancyMike posted:

No, but Bullet in the Head was basically Woo's version of A Better Tomorrow III after he and Tsui Hark split over A Better Tomorrow II

Huh. That explains a lot.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I've always thought 16 Blocks and 12 Rounds were unofficial Die Hard sequels (Rennie Harlin confirmed the latter).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Neo Rasa posted:

Regeneration absolutely owns, though I'm always a little salty about it because the original trailers and teasers for it made it seem like the movie was going to be about Dolph Lundgren and JCVD teaming up for the movie instead of what happens instead. That scene rules anyway though.

Has there ever been a movie series this long where it's one single continuity with the actors and characters but it reaches lows as low as the Universal Soldiers 2 and 3 we got on Showtime (and arguably The Return but at least that one's stupid in a fun way instead of just being plain bad) and then reaches highs as high as Regeneration and Day of Reckoning?

Rocky.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I would also argue Halloween.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Oh yeah fair enough.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Neo Rasa posted:

Oh yeah Fast and the Furious definitely. People disliked the fourth one a lot (which is understandable since like 2 Fast 2 Furious it sucks) and it's definitely a series low point, but then 5 and 6 were huge improvements.

Yeah this is a real answer.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wheat Loaf posted:

Voyage Home is the best movie in the series, though.

The gently caress is wrong with you.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wheat Loaf posted:

I enjoy the story.

No excuses.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
T2 Judgement Day was also in 1997.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There's an extended cut of that movie? In theaters it was already like two hours and change. Anyway, I also really like that movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snowman_McK posted:

The film also directly implies that that poo poo worked in the Middle East. It's a complete loving fantasy.

Wait, where's this implied?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Spenser for Hire? Hell yeah dude.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

I feel like Burn Notice kind of established the template for USA's original programming: Easily accessible, simple plotting that's easy to follow, generally ridiculously good casting, and while there are overarching story threads, basically every episode is self-contained. Suits, White Collar, Royal Pains, Monk, Covert Affairs, Psych, all of them have the same characteristics.

Light stakes and gorgeous locales are a big part of it too, a big, bright, sunny day where people are eating at outdoor restaurants screams USA Network to me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

brawleh posted:

I'm guessing what snowman's getting at is the whole destabilizing a country being the end to justify the means and the weird line about how that worked in Iraq - like that was the loving goal?

Sicario 2 on the whole is real odd.

This is referred to several times in the film - destabilization is the goal. The "you wanted Afghanistan" stuff also refers to this; "now you can buy your own hockey team", "you can't seriously think change is the goal?", etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think what they were actually going for there is that the regime change as such is a totally secondary goal, there's even a line about it: "if you kill a king, it could end a war." There's an even more cynical point about how destabilization is lucrative economic activity, way moreso than providing any desired or useful product or service, which goes way overboard from the relatively sedate Obama years.