Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
What's the consensus on Scott Adkins? I'm kinda torn on him. On one hand, he's super physically talented. For sure, dude can rock faces off. On the other, I really don't like him as a main lead. I don't know why, but something about him just makes me see him as more of a villainous dude. Maybe it's the constant glare that I don't like, I dunno. I watched him in that Vietnam movie, and while he destroyed major amounts of bad dude face, he seemed totally unpleasant to me the entire time. Plus, he eats a dude's kidney. Which normally, I'd see as cool, but when he does it, for some reason, it seemed pretty hosed.

Maybe him as Guyver type character or Snake-eyes where he doesn't need to show his face would be ideal for me. Or him as a right hand bad dude.

How off base am I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

This is way higher praise than Adrian Paul deserves.

You maniac, Highlander ruled.

Davros1 posted:

Adkins is this generation's Gary Daniels

Yeah, he kinda is. But Adkins hasn't been in an awesome Jackie Chan movie, yet.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypyvcfnu4Gg

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Holy gently caress, Mark Dacascos. I'm all about that

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Bloodsport and Kickboxer are the greatest of the JCVD movies. Kickboxer especially has a totally killer 80s faux-oriental score to it. Also Van Damme dancing.

Timecop is also cool. You just have to understand that going into them that you're about to watch a Van Damme movie, and set your expectations accordingly. What's that one where he's in prison and kicks a dude into a furnace? That one was cool, too. I think it also had Bolo in it.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Plus the most legendary of the Van Damme splits.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Man, you've really got to hand it to Tom Cruise. He may be a shithead, but the dude really puts in the work. I like pretty much all of his action movies, and that bathroom fight in the new Mission: Impossible looks ferocious. He's no spring chicken and he's still doing a lot of brutal stuntwork. It's cool. I feel like he has a real respect for physical stunts and stuntwork and seems to prefer doing things in-camera.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Clipperton posted:

Is he a shithead though? I mean he's friends with David Miscavige and doesn't seem to mind, like, having his motorcycle detailed by a small army of brainwashed slaves, but if you're being charitable you can chalk that up to bad judgement and colossal naivete. His reputation among people who've worked with him seems to be pretty good.

Keanu otoh is the real deal and apparently lovely.

I can agree on both counts. Though, it's pretty evident that Scientology is pretty significantly evil. I mean, one could argue that he doesn't really know better, having been a member for a long time, and probably far enough removed from the day to day. Then that leads me to ask, how can he be unaware of all the evil committed by Scientology? Even still, he seems like a man with little to no malice.

Keanu is pure.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Die Hard turns 30 this weekend. Now, I'm sure we all like Die Hard, so I'll ask this instead: what are our favourite Die Hard-alikes?

Mine is Cliffhanger.

I really like Deep Rising, though, I guess it's only loosely a Die Hard-like

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

I suppose that's fair enough. Under Siege is "Die Hard on an aircraft carrier", Cliffhanger is "Die Hard on a mountain", Air Force One is "Die Hard on the president's plane" etc. but I'm just not sure if it really is "Die Hard on a bus".

But what makes a movie a Die Hard riff - is it "hero trapped in one location with the bad guys" or is it "the right guy in the right place at the right time"? I guess I can see Speed either way.

Oh, yeah, Air Force One is a good one. Love Harrison's speech at the beginning.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
There was also that really good Hollywood Bank Robbery episode of High Impact, that cop show from the late 90s.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Payndz posted:

Ah yeah, the "symphony of screams".

You know, it's not bad. Some cool special effects, too. Is it streaming anywhere? I'd be down to watch it again.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Yeah, as lovely as Bizkit is, their non-vocal part of the main theme is pretty good. And I'm an unashamed Woo lover, so I love most of M:I2. I think the action set pieces are stellar, despite some of the logical faults.

The shootout in the lab just looks so drat cool, and the shot in the bunker of Ethan walking through the flames with doves flying and the music kicking in is so rad. Plus he blows up a car with a pistol.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

I understand why one would like Vampires, but it just didn't appeal to me at all either, I was pretty hype for it too.

Didn't it have several direct to video sequels one of which stars Bon Jovi?

Yeah, Los Muertos. I saw it once, but I don't it being all that bad.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

MI:2 established the formula. MI:3 perfected it.

Apparently I'm the only guy in this thread who thinks that MI:2's goofy poo poo is worth experiencing.

Also I'm going to stop referring to them by numbers. MI2 will now be MI:Woo Zone. I'm still searching for MI:3 subtitle, I'm thinking MI: Alias but that's a little too on the nose.

Nah, bro, M:I 2 rules.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

That's awesome. It's definitely my favorite moment in that entire trailer.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
You know, it's pretty well shot, too. The camera is stable enough, not too close and not too spastic. And the edits are slow enough to allow the viewer to parse what's happening.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I remember it being really mean spirited and very poorly edited . Didn't like it at all.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Human Tornada posted:

Edit: Also, what was the last movie to incorporate The Plot theme into the score? They must have done it before, but it's not ringing a bell.

Wow, I didn't know this was from the show, as I've never seen it, but it's all over the N64 Mission: Impossible game.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

I watched Starship Troopers for the first time this weekend.

Holy poo poo that movie rules.

Yes, it does. Yes, it loving does.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Yeah, I found the movie to be a really frustrating experience, even though I wanted to like it. It was such a chaotic mess of visuals.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Patriot Games is my favourite of the three good Jack Ryan movies. Clear and Present Danger is very good as well and probably has the best action scene of the series (when Ryan's team is ambushed in Mexico) but its villain isn't as good as Sean Bean.

Yeah, man. It's a really great scene. Builds up tension expertly, the music starts to clue you in that something is amiss, and the shot above when the convoy enters the killzone is really good: the way the bad dudes kinda pop into frame.

It's a really intense and kind of terrifying scene. You know that there is no hope for these dudes. And there's something about the way they all kind of sacrifice themselves to get Jack out. He barely makes it out alive, and once he's out side of the ambush spot, it's like he's in a different world. It really, really stood out to me when I was younger.

Plus, Harrison Ford can sell the gently caress out of anything. A punch, a kick, an explosion. Both giving and receiving. Someone upthread really nailed it talking about the everyman aspect of Harrison Ford action dudes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2w9XDc7Ago

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

ynohtna posted:

Maybe Hans Gruber has a twin named Ken who serves rice in a NY Chinese restaurant?

As long as there is also an insane, mansion shattering shootout at the end.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Fart City posted:

Again this is where I mention that the best last Die Hard movie is actually Max Payne 3. A washed up alcoholic New Jersey cop famous for his ultra violent exploits finds a new line of work as private security for an afluent family in Brazil, who are then targeted in a Byzantine terrorist plot that is all about misdirection, and hinges specifically on the cop being famous for those ultra violent exploits. Along the way, said cop finds himself wandering around a high rise wearing only an undershirt, defusing bombs, and having a shootout at an airport.

Hell, it even provides an in-canon reason for the bald McClane of the later installments.

I dig it.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Rewatching Hardcore Henry with a film buddy to see if I was unfair to it the first time.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I wonder if maybe he's just not a good director. Or he's gone like Frank Miller and kinda lost his touch.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

His last movie was The Nice Guys and I thought it was good. Maybe he's just better for movies like that and Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang than big action tentpoles?

Yeah, maybe the dude just needs to play to his strengths. Big action sci-fi spectacle movies are tough, though, especially with the way studios are so desperate to min-max their investments and returns. Plus, it's been eight years since the last Predator movie and twenty years before that. Obviously AvP count as neither Alien nor Predator movies. Hell, they barely even count as movies at all.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Has anyone else seen Jailbreak? Everything ever written about it until the heat death of the universe will call it the ‘Cambodian answer to The Raid.’ Which is actually pretty accurate.

It’s not great. Not terrible, but not nearly to the level of The Raid. I think what brings it down is the unimaginative lighting, the dull, repetitive sets, and the fighting style itself: bokator. There’s some decent camerawork there, but none of the fights really stand out, except for one which has some brutal machetework out of nowhere. Overall, I just wasn’t impressed by action choreography. It just didn’t have the wild brutality of Silat and Muay Thai that Iko Uwais and Tony Jaa blew us away with. Still, it’s worth checking out. Especially if you are interested in seeing a full length film that is comprised of nearly 90% dudes getting kicked.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I know it's not really an action movie, but I finally watched Unforgiven. Probably my second favorite Clint movie after Josey Wales. And, holy crap, he basically has the most cinematic face in all of filmdom.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Josey Wales doesn't hold a bison tallow lantern to Unforgiven. Why do you like it so much?
I think a large part of why I liked it so much was that I didn't really grow up on westerns. Probably the closest I came to them would be John Wayne's Alamo and, like, Demon Knight. But my good friend is really super into them. Westerns are his favorite. So he would come over, make ribs or chili, and show me some the ones that he thought were the best. And Josey Wales kind of impacted me as the quintessential western. Just seemed to check all the boxes. I liked it so much because it's an honest genre film, whereas Unforgiven is definitely a desconstruction. And, really, watching Josey Wales with my buddy was such a good experience, especially since he's since moved away, and I watched Unforgiven by myself.

OneTruePecos posted:

It's even better than that, in the context of the full movie, because Munny doesn't tell the kid that - Little Bill tells Beauchamp that. But even so, that's just part of what is going on.

This got a little long, so TL;DR: the reality is just drunk murderers.

This is a great post.

And I just finished Night Comes for Us. Good flick. It almost feels like a horror action movie, because the violence is so unrelenting and bloody and nightmarish. Anyone else get that feeling?

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

FancyMike posted:

The first RE is actually my least favorite of his, but I'm due to rewatch and reconsider the whole series after how great The Final Chapter was.

The only two poo poo movies he directed are Shopping and The Sight. Death Race and Three Musketeers are fine, but forgettable. Haven't seen AvP or Mortal Kombat in too long to really say, but everything else varies from good to great I will defend any of them.

Mortal Kombat rules, bro-with-an-awesome-av. I thought AvP was embarrassingly bad, but somehow not as bad as the sequel.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
It's a funny movie, because it Guy Pierce giving the most phoned-in performance you'll ever see. Like, it feels as if he really didn't want to be in the movie, at all. But, it kind of adds a world weary sardonic humor to the character. It kinda worked for me.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
A Better Tomorrow 1 and 2.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I dunno, man. It's better than Blackjack, but I think JCVD (for the only time ever) brings it down a lot.

EDIT- I know someone is going to post the snake punch is response.

Narzack fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 6, 2018

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Well, I also like Broken Arrow more than Hard Target.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

b-movie Kate Beckinsale (Rhona Mitra). . .
tiny lady version of Tony Jaa (Jeeja Yanin, who's awesome)

wut.

Both of those chicks rule on their own, without any needed comparison qualifier.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Just rewatched The Raid since it's on Netflix how. So gooooooooood.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

got any sevens posted:

Every rambo is a must-watch, for different reasons

This guy gets it.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Yea they hosed up by choosing that for the preview clip because it killed my desire to watch it immediately.

I'm struggling through it right now . It's not very good. Pretty boring, even.

EDIT- Managed to finish it, it's not really worth watching unless you want to see a bunch of dumpy housewives get beat up and electrocuted set to some punk riffs.

Narzack fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
The stunt work is what makes that scene for me. Tony's stuff is cool, but I think the real stars are dudes he hurls off the balcony and blasts through doors.

Them and the cameraman himself.