Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

What’s bad about it

Hiddleston and Larson both really stink in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

I'm working my way through that top 50 list and holy mother of God Tokyo tribe is fantastic

I had no idea what it was going to be and wow

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

I won't be satisified until adkins teams up with and also fights Frank grillo, hopefully in a purge movie

I've been powering through that list of movies and wolf warrior 2 might be the funniest jingoistic movie I've seen as an American. Is this what American movies feel like to everyone else? Amazing

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

Man of Tai Chi really didnt work for me. I liked Keanu as a villain and thought the lead did a good job , but something in the filming of the action scenes left me cold - I think it was the intermittent wirework? Or so much punching that it wasn't clear how hard anyone was supposed to be making contact? The fight with his master was great though.
Didn't help that iko uwais was incredibly wasted.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

Inspector 34 posted:

Where are there a bunch of Adkins movies streaming? Been meaning to catch up on a bunch of the stuff you all have posted here but not really sure where to look for em.

I've been working through the top 50 list and I've noticed that hoopla of all places has by far the best selection (for instance, it seems to have every Korean action movie). If you have a local library card it should be free for you. Kanopy as well but that's more art house stuff

Speaking of just watch, its a godsend. I put about 50 movies on my watchlist and about half of them aren't available anywhere to stream and the other half split between a half dozen services.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

Why is every Korean movie so blue

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Love too have my eyes immediately drawn to a modernist building in the background instead of characters in the foreground.

I keep looking at the weird reception desk on the right thinking there's more to it

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

Let's say I've seen The Raid but no other Indonesian action film and I wanted to set up a new year's day triple feature to really sink my teeth into the sub genre. Let's also assume I equally enjoy kung fu, gun fights, etc. What are the three I watch on Netflix?

Raid 2, spl 2 aka killzone 2, night comes for us in that order. spl 2 is on hoopla which you should have access to through your library card

Edit god damnit I thought raid 2 was on streaming services, which it isn't. I'm so sick of having to check every title on just watch

If you solely want indonesian martial arts on Netflix just search by iko uwais or Joe taslim.

going streaming only for that top 50 action list is going to get like 25 matches at most, it's infuriating . Probably like 5 per common service (Netflix, prime video, hoopla, kanopy)

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 30, 2019

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

Holy moly eliminators owned. The 1v1 fights might be my favorite of any Adkins movies I've seen

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

Looks like they just ordered by year released, its weird 2010 had far and away their most entries

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

Lol at my dawning realization of why jailbreaks villainess looked so familiar but not her name

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

What's with jean-paul lys weird fight choreography? I've seen him in nightshooters and jailbreak and in both he consistently pulls punches/kicks so short they they clearly miss, which isn't something I ever notice in other movies. Is it something about his specific fighting style?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

Would it be accurate to describe Wu Jing as the new Tom cruise? He has so much charisma and Im hoping top gun 2 is as sweet as the wolf warriors are .

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

It should be illegal to remake movies that soon anyway.

The ring and infernal affairs both got remakes released 4 years after the original, the raid was centuries ago in comparison

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

Accident man is great, I cracked up at the turkey baster line. Although ray park looked like he was moving in molasses despite being only 2 years older than Adkins

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

Self isolation is causing insanity

Anyways my Scott Adkins run continues

Abduction: good lord what happened here ? It seems like a Stargate sg1 episode that happens to guest star Adkins and even the action is lacking

Debt collector : hell yeah now we're talking. Does get a little weak in the final third but it's drat fun throughout

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

Savage Dog nearly fell into the trap other Adkins movies do - make him out to be too good a fighter, so it devolves into boring gunplay. Thankfully the last fight was excellent and it pulled out of the nosedive

I've been watching his stuff in the background while I work and I gotta say I wish I'd been in college when Adkins was pumping out movies since they seem like something TNT would have marathoned constantly

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

Popelmon posted:

Wasn't he super dead at the end of that one? Or am I mixing up my Adkins movies?

He's bleeding out horribly but is in a car

Hell, crank 2 opens after Statham clearly dies in crank 1, right?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

How the gently caress did he film 11 action scenes in 6 weeks while injured

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

I don't even remember Adkins' motivation in wolf warrior, what was it?

And yes, the wolf scene is phenomenal and completely out of nowhere, especially since I'd seen wolf warrior 2 first which has nothing like that

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

Boco_T posted:

Adkins's motivation was money, I meant the motivation of the guy that hired all them that rescued from being arrested early in the movie. His motivation was that he was stealing Chinese blood so he could make a supervirus that would kill only Chinese people.

Haha yeah that ruled

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

after watching 10 movies with scott adkins in them i finally watched undisputed 2 & 3 (i never saw the first one, going off the theory that like with the purge franchise, the first is hollywood crap and the sequels rule)

a) its crazy to see how fast adkins is in undisputed 2 where he's a 'mere' 30 years old . b) way too many ridiculous slo mos/speed ups/camera zoom ins with a 'whoosh' sound
also BOYKA BOYKA ADKINS ADKINS im hype as hell from the final fight in 3

edit: between these movies and the yakuza video game series ive decided my new life goal is to go to underground coliseums and bet on fighters

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 31, 2020

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

so due solely to this thread ive watched a shitload of adkins movies ( i actually saw universal soldier 4 way back when and didn't even realize it was him)

since seeing that top 50 action movie list and watching nearly all of it, plus more adkins i've seen
avengement
ninja 2
accident man
debt collector
savage dog
undisputed 2
undisputed 3
boyka: undisputed
abduction
eliminators
wolf warrior
triple threat

anything else he's in worth seeing? Besides ip man 4 when it comes out here, obviously

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

red rover red rover posted:

I just went from headshot to starting tokyo tribe and my brain is rioting

Tokyo tribe is insane , embrace the ride

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

Lumbermouth posted:

He does one of the best German suplexes I've ever seen in that scene.

I didn't even know that was the movie with that move but I definitely have seen that scene, it owns

Just like I didn't realize the knife/baton fight between Yen and Wu Jing was from SPL, just had seen the clip elsewhere

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Watching that Scott Adkins top 5 and man they filmed Avengement in 17 days? That's drat impressive.

He must have been so confused on the set of Dr Strange

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

B-Rock452 posted:

My wife and I have been going through the older Jackie Chan movies and it is so frustrating that drunken master ii and Police Story 2 aren't available on Prime. Supercop and Project A are available though and both are a ton of fun

What got me back into watching movies was the justwatch website/app. You add movies to your list over time, and then can hit a filter button to only show what's available per streaming service you have. Takes a lot of frustration out of it.

Hoopla and kanopy are both free with library card, and most libraries are giving card codes out for anyone who wants one even if you aren't a resident. Hoopla has a LOT of asian action movies, probably as many as prime + Netflix combined. Sadly neither of the ones you're looking for are on any streaming besides police story 2 on criterion channel

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

Cool to see extraction being discussed, my cousin was the line producer for it in Indonesia I think, so he's been posting on Facebook about location scouting for it for ages. I saw ads for it and wasn't sure if it was just due to his posts or if it was getting a big push

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

I had a dream last night about Scott Adkins fighting old age Harvey Keitel, Robert deniro, Al Pacino (each got taken out in one kick) and others who all gave interviews about what an honor it was to be in a movie with him

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

dokmo posted:

Tak is back! with his Re:Born director Yûji Shimomura with another movie that looks like one big fight scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcFfeWCMCM8

They released a teaser trailer a year ago and have apparently been doing a bunch of reshoots. If you haven't seen Re:Born yet I can't recommend it enough.

Oh hell yes

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

I really like Frank grillo and sci-fi movies but hadn't ever heard of it , but yeah I got halfway in (switched to watching protests) and there's no reason to think it's anything but all Grillo the whole time. I guess the credits give away the big names early though

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Frank Grillo is one of those Scott Adkins types who's a soft-spoken, real-hard worker who I'm constantly shocked to see gets zero recognition for repeatedly carrying entire films.

Him screaming Break it!!! Break the leg!!! Was one of the highlights of Warrior

He's also real good in wolf warrior 2

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

What the hell

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

Pillowpants posted:

What are everyone’s favorite revenge flicks ala The pUnisher or death wish.

I watched Kite yesterday. Solid violence
Clearly about revenge:
Avengement
Revenger

Kinda revenge:
universal soldier day of reckoning
Hardcore Henry
witch part 1 subversion
Re:born

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

PeterCat posted:

So, what's the best John Woo movie?

I absolutely love Hard Target, and really enjoyed the tv movie Woo made with Dolph Lundgren, but I never got around to checking out Woo's Hong Kong movies.

Hard boiled and it frankly isn't close . Be aware that the final fight scene is quite lengthy

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

B-Rock452 posted:

Once a week I go on the Just Watch app and put in hard boiled and then get really sad. It's easily my favorite John Woo movie and pretty much got me into action movies

Just watch is both super useful and also a stark reminder on how terrible streaming content really is. I hadnt realized hard boiled was available absolutely nowhere.

My go-to frustration is fury road, a lot of people I know haven't seen it and its only streamable on a smattering of weird services, none of the major ones

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

I don't think Tony Jaa is a great lead but drat that's a great sequence

SPL2 is pretty much his perfect role for me. Wu Jing handles the tom cruise level charisma , and Jaa gets to just kick rear end

Although man I loved him in furious 7, with nothing but lines like "too slow' against poor Paul walker

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

I can't remember which Mifune movie it is, maybe samurai ii, but he fights a giant group in muddy rice fields and everyone's footing is so bad that trying to get to him without stumbling is really hard. So he just easily kills anyone who gets within range as he slowly and surefootedly moves through them

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

Hirez posted:

ok this is like my first time in CD and this thread is basically why I came here (after watching Savage Dog ) and I'll catch up to the 140 pages I swear :P

Lately I've been on a Scott Adkins binge - did like half his movies a year ago, then just did the rest (minus iP man 5 or whatever, as i haven't seen the previous ones, which will be my next marathon binge).

but my question mainly is there any good documentaries or youtubes on choreographed fights. I'm really curious now with how "worked" these punches/kicks - like I get they're pulling their punches (much like wrestling) but it looks legit, and without "Hollywood" money, not like they're going to be spending it on cgi (or maybe they do) I see a bunch of Stunt People documentaries, but I'm more looking on the choreographed fight stuff (ie. The Raid / Straight to DVD? type budgets, and not blockbusters unless its much the same).

Scott Adkins & Iko Uwais are like my cocaine when it comes to Action movies. I just can't believe how much of a letdown Triple Threat was

You're in crazy luck. Look up Scott Adkins YouTube channel, he's been talking about this stuff a lot while in quarantine, both in reviewing his own top 5 movies and talking with other professionals.

A few things I remember him saying are that he needs the camera man, him, and his opponent all lined up so that he can miss with his kicks and still make it look like it connects. And also his super flashy kick with boyka, that looks like it wouldn't do damage, is really easy to film since it doesn't have any momentum and he can just hit someone with it since it won't really hurt. Was really interesting to think of filming things that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

Bernhardt is also an Agent in the second Matrix movie, I think he's even the "Hm, upgrades!" guy. It was fun realizing Keanu likes to work with him and their scene in Matrix 2 is pretty fun.

Bum move not to post a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vm2QcWVEqU

He's also in the weird Barry episode that seems to be fantasy