Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

I think someone mentioned the fight scenes in Banshee in this thread and I'm glad I followed up on the recommendation because the show is a lot of fun. Also really bad and dumb, but the fighting is wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

It's insane.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

I rewatched Police Story again and it's still my favourite Chan movie. Such a shame no one is doing anything similar now.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

Buybust is on Netflix. Filipino drug murder movie. I have mixed feelings about watching it since I'm worried it'll glorify Duterte's policies, but...it's meant to be good.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

I turned Buybust off after about half an hr. Disappointing because the review on cityonfire.com was positive iirc and usually I can trust them...

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

Demtor posted:

What didn't you like?

Also, I've never heard of that site. Thanks for the bookmark!
The action just seemed a bit amateurish and it didn't 'ring true'. It's hard to explain since it's not like most of my favourite action films are remotely realistic, but there seemed to be a lack of weight in what I saw of Buybust. There's a pretty poorly filmed shootout where I think they're attempting to make it seem chaotic and confusing - they only succeeded in making it look like disconnected actors were shooting aimlessly. Maybe I was in a bad mood when I watched it.

cityonfire is worth checking out every couple of weeks since they're pretty dedicated to covering new releases that won't get much coverage on most English speaking sites and sometimes they have interesting features about martial arts legends etc.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

Morpheus' fight scene with Smith in the bathroom is one of my favourites. It's brutal and filmed in an enclosed space, yet it's still comprehensible, impactful, and believable within its context.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

I hope that netflix series with Uwais won't suck and he keeps getting bigger roles.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

People are either fighting or being naked (not simultaneously, yet iirc) for a significant portion of each episode's runtime...

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

Yeah, it's not very good, sadly. I love the setting, but the action is poor.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

So, anyone seen Wu Assassins yet?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

OG Police Story is one of my favourite Chan movies for sure. I think the non action scenes don't hold up so well, but the setpieces are Incredible.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

Does it matter what order I watch the Chow-yun Fat/Woo movies in (aside from Better Tomorrow 1 before 2)?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

Watched Hard Boiled again last night. It's still amazing. Hong Kong was such a cool setting for movies.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

dokmo posted:

Looks like they have a bunch of good Korean thrillers, if you're not up to date on those it's probably worth the trial just for that.

Any worth watching in particular?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

Nice, it's been a while since I watched Face/Off. Thanks for these roundups.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

I remember trying to watch the first season of Strikeback and bouncing off it, is it worth reading a synopsis and just trying from the 2nd season onwards?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

B-Rock452 posted:

It's kind of connected but watching the first season isn't required at all. I have never seen it and I consider strike back one of my favorite shows

Hirez posted:

yea what this guy said, some of the middle seasons are loving fantastic - I really liked the South America one and the Africa one with Tywin. The show after s1 is basically british 24 with swearing and cinemax tits jammed into 13 episodes.

It's always some nuke/biological/whatever doubling down every episode with a cliffhanger. great show (even the newer new cast one; but as others said, the leads just don't have the same chemistry)

Enjoying s2 a lot. As a sometime Casualty watcher it's funny seeing Amanda Mealing in another authoritative role and Neet Mohan (one of the junior doctors on the soap) playing a sympathetic terrorist.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

I love the scene where they're in the hospital corridor and Tony Leung's gun is pointing nowhere near where the shots are hitting.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

I thought Mortal Kombat was ok. The addition of the new character seemed totally unnecessary, but I liked the overall tone. The repeated low kick scene was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

KVeezy3 posted:

I was inspired to give Unleashed, the Jet Li action melodrama, a revisit since I vaguely remembered that the soundtrack was helmed by Massive Attack. The action sequences are master-class, imaginative, and well shot. And the soundtrack by is good.

It's more ambitiously weird than I remember, as Li took a big risk on such an absurd premise with quite an odd structure. The big movements in story are signaled through three violent car crashes, and the film itself is almost like a car crash between two different films. And the origin story of Danny's (Li's character) enslaved existence is hinted at through his abuser being unable to gently caress women without being interrupted multiple times by our abused protagonist's shifting gazes.

I really like it. Definitely my favourite of his Western movies cos it has heart and some genuinely sweet moments with his adoptive family.