Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I do love those 80s ones mentioned with his pals etc. Wheels on Meals and Dragons Forever are great.

MrBling posted:

Am I being really dumb or is Undisputed: Fight for Freedom just a renamed/re-released Boyka: Undisputed ?

Yep that's the same movie.

Here's a question, any good French and Indian action movies to recommend? I ask since those are two countries that have a ton of movies, and I haven't watched many action films from them. Alluda Mazaaka is one good Indian (Tollywood) one I like, outrageous craziness. But not in a way that looks kind of boring like that CGI Matrix guy one, something about a 90s movie like that just feels less slick and safe, it's like Commando meets a Stephen Chow movie or something. It's the movie with that horse sliding under a car, fun flick.

For France, I have not seen much action from there outside of Luc Besson and Pierre Morel's movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

ruddiger posted:

Would Killing Zoe count as a French film? It's mostly in English and stars Eric Stoltz, but takes place in Paris and many of the characters speak French when not conversing with Stoltz's character.

I remember liking Banlieue 13 back when it first came out too, but I never saw the sequel.

That one is by Morel, yep I've seen those. Always taking Stoltz recommendations.

Also I'll add Italy to this request, any notable action movies from say the 80s and 90s on? I've seen a lot of the westerns and Euro-crime subgenre movies, but outside of Blastfighter I haven't seen any just action movie type of films there, especially in those decades. Wonder if I'm missing some gems.

Basebf555 posted:

Check out Baahubali, which was on Netflix recently, not sure if it's still available there or not.

Right on, I'll give that a go.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

One more ranking for the road: T2 > T1 > T3 > 4 > 6 > 5

My take, if I was tasked with making an idea for a Terminator sequel. I'd go Star Trek The Next Generation with it. Just set it 300 years later, we've got some kind of Cyberpunk-esque future or whatever, some new Terminator or evil AI shenanigans ensue.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Speaking of Pyun, out of respect, I added two Pyuns I hadn't seen to my watch list. Dangerously Close and Down Twisted. Could be some B-movie zen there.

I'd say his best movie is probably Radioactive Dreams, starring the #1 American Ninja Michael Dudikoff. The Sword and The Sorcerer also owns. And stuff like Dollman and Brainsmasher are pretty funny.

Speaking of Rugter though, Wanted: Dead or Alive looks like it could be entertaining.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'd throw Deadpool and Deadpool 2 in there. 2 is even by one of the John Wick directors.

It is cool that Miller is doing that Furiosa movie.

For cool factor, I'd say let's just rewatch The Killer once again. And Hard Boiled.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 19, 2020

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Speaking of Die Hard, With a Vengeance is as rewatchable or even more so for me than 1. Plus Sam Jackson at the height of his power. I'm just sad we never got him in a John Woo movie.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That is a challenge. If we're counting punching sports action, Rocky Balboa is a great comeback movie. Stronger than his work on some flicks like Rocky 5 (not too tough to top).

Toxic Avenger 4 is stronger than 3, that's a while later. Bit of a genre blend there.

And of course, Lloyd Kaufman played a drunk in the first Rocky and helped behind the scenes.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Electronico6 posted:

Herman Yau's CAT III movies with Anthony Wong are all insanely nasty and not for the faint of heart, but also lowkey absurd funny.

Taxi Hunter it's probably the weakest of the three Yau made with Wong, but it features some peak Hong Kong fashion courtesy of the late great Ng Man-tat

This is probably the most normal outfit he has in this film. It's also on Youtube but with chinese subtitles only.

Tat is one of the all time greats! Just rewatched Fight Back to School since some of my friends hadn't seen it. Man, so many great HK movies, I've been getting back into them.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Say, I'd like to request some recommendations. For movies in this scene including also thrillers, action comedy, action drama etc, since I've seen a wide variety mentioned in recent pages.

I'm looking for great 80s and 90s HK and Japanese movie recommendations. Action is welcome, but I'm mainly looking for ones that rock you as a story, or have characters that delight, just really entertaining movies. Not ones that are primarily for the fights. Seems this and the martial arts thread have the most knowledge of HK and Japan cinema in general, so if you sneak a couple non-action movies in the list, that's cool with me too.

I've seen most of the big officially released in US action movies like the Jackie Chan, Jet Li, and Donnie Yen ones. And for popular gems I've seen In the Line of Duty 4, Tiger Cage 2, Righting Wrongs, Iceman Cometh, John Woo's stuff, Stephen Chow (mainly comedy but still must see), Jackie Chan, etc. For Japan I'm covered on the kaiju stuff, Zeiram, lot of anime, Ryuhei Kitamura, Miike, and Takeshi Kitano. On John Woo style stuff I've also seen a lot of Johnnie To, Ringo Lam, and Tsui Hark.

I just really dig the 80s and 90s for cinema. And HK especially just seems like they were on fire in those decades for me stylistically. Thanks.

Or, as a bonus question to open it up, any non-English language 80s and 90s movies.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 28, 2021

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Much thanks for the cool recommendations! I haven't seen any of those except Heroic Trio. It is fun that Maggie Cheung and Anita Mui were in seemingly everything, they show up in a lot of the comedy and misc stuff I've been checking out lately.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on. Do you dig the sequel by the way? I'll pop that on the ol' list.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Thanks for those cool movies, folks! Riki-Oh rocks for sure, that wall punch is one of the iconic movie moments.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Ah the 80s. You just might like the Miami Vice episode Viking Bikers From Hell, story by John Milius, with Reb Brown as the big villain. We're talking about 47 of 1987's finest action packed minutes. Pretty funny too, and most righteous.

While I randomly recommend Vice eps, The Home Invaders directed by Abel Ferrara is a great ep.

Also Streets of Fire rules, can't miss that movie.

The Killer is my fav 80s action movie, and a fav movie in general. For that fun cheese zen I go for Commando. For further down the cheese path, big Michael Dudikoff fan. Avenging Force, American Ninja, etc. B-movie fun zen like No Retreat No Surrender, classics like Bloodsport. Lots of HK, Duel to the Death, what a movie.

So many to choose from! My fav 80s Stallone movie is Rocky 3 I think, honorable mention to First Blood.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hell yes, glorious stuff! And that masterful Jim Steinman music, Rick Moranis, can't go wrong.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

CeeJee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MysGjRS9jFU

Atomic Huntress, gently caress yeah. And what looks like an action/chase scene during a Band Maid concert, bless the person who came up with that.

Righteous, love Band Maid. J-rock (and metal) for life!

And Clancy Brown, whatta guy. John Wick 4 is looking good. That said, it's the first one without whatshisface writing it (Derek Kolstad), but, the franchise has earned my trust. Here's hoping they'll know if the script isn't good.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

clockworkjoe posted:

Also, JCVD's voice is randomly dubbed over by a very different voice.

I gotta say, that is amazingly nutty. Sounds like a troubled film.

Also, kudos on your JCVD journey, that sounds pretty wild. If you're watching all or even most of them, that's gotta be some level of zen to handle that. I love JCVD, but I don't think I could dip into all those lower end recent ones without losing my mind (more than usual).

Speaking of bad movies, Snake Eyes Origins... good lord. Just good lord. Fire the writer, fire the director... out of a cannon. Into the ocean. I hope Larry Hama doesn't have to see this.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Anyway what a banger of a film, bring back Hong Kong Woo please, the height of his powers.

Amen to that. Nothing delights me like John Woo in his prime, oh lord he's good. Plus he's a great writer, editor, just whatta guy.

One fun tidbit that came up recently, Nic Cage mentioned that John Woo showed him A Bullet in The Head. During preparation for Face/Off. When Nic saw the style of acting and tone (over-the-top and operatic), he got it, essentially Woo gave Cage permission to go for it. Just beautiful.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, that's how ya do it! Those Universal Soldier movies are highlights for sure. Assassination Games is another one from around then that I liked too. Speaking of Van Damme and HK directors, I love Knock Off for some reason.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

dokmo posted:

Like a lot of people, I used the recent passing of Sonny Chiba as an excuse to rewatch The Street Fighter, which I hadn't seen in many years. That movie kicks so much rear end, it's almost unbelievable. It's dirty and mean spirited, and it could only have been made in the 70s. Everyone's probably seen most of the cool moments at least in gif form, but you really need to see the movie to see what a total rear end in a top hat Chiba's character is. I can't imagine anyone reading this thread hasn't seen it, but on the off chance, give yourself a treat.

Will do! I have seen GI Samurai, which I loved. I did tape one of Street Fighter's sequels off of the action channel on cable once though. Any other fav Chiba heavy movies?

I really liked Deadly Outlaw Rekka, though not a Chiba movie per se, as a main attraction.

Also, to throw an extra recommendation Q in here, any fav 80s and 90s Japanese action movies or thrillers? And if yakuza, ones other than Miike or Kitano, just because I know about those ones and whatnot. I've also seen Zeiram and Hokkaider and whatnot, cool stuff of course. It seems HK was exploding in 80s/90s, but I don't have a lot of Japan from that period on my list, outside of anime. And some drama movies etc. Plus I just really love 80s and 90s movies, cool vibe.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 27, 2021

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, sounds cool.

We've talked a bit about different countries boom periods for film, like how HK was exploding with talent and great films for decades etc. And Japan decades earlier had Kurosawa etc. But I wonder why in say the 80s and 90s it seems live-action Japanese movies are such a niche and low budget thing. They had that good economy thing going in the 80s, anime was prolific as hell, but not a lot of live-action flicks across the genres.

Not to randomly diss Japan, it's out of love, since I dig that stuff and would like a lot more. And just curiosity etc. Take say this letterboxd page of all Japan's 1988 movies, sorted by popularity.

https://letterboxd.com/films/popular/year/1988/country/japan/size/small/

There are a lot of anime classics, and virtually nothing of note in live-action. Maybe some decent drama and tearjerkers, haven't seen those listed there. There's funny fluff trash we've heard of like Star Virgin etc, I mean, was there just not much of a film industry at all at the time, outside of anime? And/or, the good gems are just really really unknown to Western audiences decades later? Or was it that anime was so hot, if you were doing action or adventure on a budget you might as well just finance an anime instead of trying for live-action.

Just a man looking for gems here, like in that Sandler movie. Somebody's gotta ask these tough questions about 1988.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That's cool, interesting stuff for sure. Good point that video games definitely filled a big part of capturing the imagination. Plus we did have some cinematic storytellers like good ol' Hideo Kojima getting going in that medium.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Nice, cool stuff no doubt. The manga is really really good for Blade of the Immortal. Versus is charming as hell too, I dig a bunch of Ryuhei's movies.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

MacheteZombie posted:

The Raiders of Atlantis is a fun time. Cheesy and lots of shooting

I've gotta see that, early 80s Italian cheese, yes please.

mobby_6kl posted:

This if Tiger on Beat, a Chow Yun-Fat movie I've never heard of somehow. Looks pretty good, it's on my watch list for tonight.

Edit: movie loving owns. It's not quite as amazing as the best John Woo or Jackie Chan action/comedy but it's still very good, has lots of great fights, real stunts, sleazy European criminals, suprintendant yelling, basically everything you'd expect in an 80s HK buddy cop movie.

The JCVD Knock Off?

Oh yes, that's some fun JCVD. And cool to see the Chow appreciation! I love HK movies so much, and Chow especially. Stephen Chow too, they should've teamed up! Though they've both starred in some God of Gamblers / All for the Winner movies which rule.

Love Tiger on Beat too. Another crazy 80s comedy with Chow Yun-Fat I love is 100 Ways to Murder Your Wife. And for more wild action, Full Contact is cool. And the John Woo classics always deliver. Can't go wrong.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Those Universal Soldier movies, Undisputed movies, and Assassination Games are some quality Atkins and Van Damme flicks.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Pillowpants posted:

Anyone seen the Eraser sequel?

Holy moly. That this exists is too kooky looking at it, anything can happen folks.

Good to see the Schwarzenegger talk a few pages back, and Jackie Chan talk, sure are a lot of cool movies. Also agreed on the props to Chow Yun-Fat of course.

The king of action (and every genre) if I need to pick would be Nic Cage. But that's cheating. Also Clint Eastwood, but those Leone westerns are like on par with Star Wars for insanely perfect movies, that's cheating too.

Popped on Where Eagles Dare recently, a friend was mentioning how it had one of the highest body counts at the time. I think Clint clears around 70 nazi kills. Good times.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Ulio posted:

I actually did watch one good movie though. The Fable, a good Japanese action movie. If you like Japanese action movies from guys like Tak Sakaguchi you will enjoy the action sequences in this although there are not many but the ones that are there are very very good. It's not Netflix and it has a sequel? So I am in. I love these Japanese action movies where the MC is literally a superhero minus no superpowers or flying. HIGHLY recommended this if you enjoy Tak's stuff or don't mind whackier plots from Japanese movies. Going to checkout the sequel this weekend.

Sounds good! I haven't seen a new Japanese movie in a while. Did love those early 2000s gems with Tak like Versus and Azumi. Based on a manga I see, the premise is right up my alley. Like GTO or something.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'll jump on the 2 is one of the best train here. John Woo folks.

Also, this is gonna sound out there, but it amused me that Tenet had so much in common with MI2 in plot. Cool agent works with the girlfriend who is in a bad relationship with the villain guy, and stuff like that. But Tenet did seem like it was I guess some kind of pastiche of spy movie tropes as its background.

I also think MI2 is the better movie. Nolan does often rule though, especially back in the day. Just with those scenes of the villain and his put-upon girlfriend etc, and how surface level it seemed, I just felt it was funny that this artisanal concept action film to me was a lesser MI2. And they'll lock me up if I say it out loud.

I feel like MI2 had more influence than it seemed on a good bit of stuff. The hero injecting himself with a weapon thing, the dynamic of the characters, elements like that. Plus it was just in vogue to make fun of over-the-top stylish stuff of that time. Its quirks give it more unique charm I think. Plus I just love Woo. 1 is my second fav. I enjoy the run of 4, 5, 6 but a little less each time. Still fun popcorn romps though.

Also, the assassination attempt at a concert thing was a lot more memorable in The Living Daylights than in that MI movie for example. But overall I'm a bigger Bond fan than MI, but tough to top such a Godzilla-esque historic run.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 20, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Timby posted:

This ... doesn't happen in M:I 2.

Oh right, just looked at wiki, Nyah injects herself. And either way, our guy Hideo Kojima is clearly the king when it comes to that kind of thing. And there was some injection stuff in the Escape from NY movies. Love a good sci-fi injection.

And agreed Hoffman is a legend. Loved him as the villain in Punch Drunk Love too, so drat fun in that.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I think it's a fine observation, I did just rewatch Jurassic Park. People examine every aspect of representation, I don't think he's being silly to point that out.

While we're talking, I've always found it odd how limited glasses use is in movies and TV. I found it especially nutty when Jim Gordon didn't have glasses in that Gotham show. Young Gordon had them in Year One. Such a high percentage of people have glasses, and such a low amount have them in movies. Just interesting to look at that stuff.

At least we have Tango & Cash. And for cool fat guys, we've got Sammo Hung and Vin Diesel.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I understood that part, and we look at it a bit differently is all.

On Ebert, I always love that he put Spider-Man 2 and Kill Bill on his top 10 in 2004. Good picks.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sounds pretty good! Gotta love pitches and forgotten scripts. I loved that Commando 2 script that was floating around the net years ago, a friend of mine actually did an audio read of it for fun.

And I always get a kick out of hearing about Beetlejuice Goes Hawaiian, that sounded classic.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Renny Harlin is pretty interesting. One of my favorite cheese classics is Adventures of Ford Fairlane. Right alongside Hudson Hawk, and they share writer Daniel Waters and producer Joel Silver too.

I've always been meaning to see Deep Blue Sea. I have seen and liked Deep Rising however.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I really dig Bullet Train, it's like an early 2000s Smokin' Aces/some Snatch/Tarantino kind of light romp. It had that special sauce I felt. Not so much as an action movie tour de force, just as an offbeat comedy adventure yarn thingy. But I like it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Snowman_McK posted:

Those movies all had really good senses of pace, which Bullet Train does not have. It's especially important/intergral when you've got a geographically small film. For a movie that's set in a confined space, everything seemed really far apart and didn't interact until the plot needed it to. I really liked the idea, and it had a ton of really strong individual scenes, but it did not hold together by any stretch.

It did for me and the folks I saw it with, but I can see where you're coming from. I personally like the pacing. But we also watched say Where Eagles Dare recently, a bit of different genre mix of course, it is slower paced due to the time period etc, still good. A movie by good ol' Deadpool 2/co-John Wick 1 guy from 2022 is not ignoring pacing. Just different taste, case by case as always.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Payndz posted:

Where Eagles Dare is one of my all-time favourite movies, and yes, despite being two and a half hours long it never drags. It quite smartly gets the slowest scene (the flashback exposition about the mission) out of the way right up front while also setting the stakes, and from then on keeps cranking up the pressure - as the team goes into the place that any sensible person would be trying to get away from, while having their numbers whittled down one by one - until things inevitably start exploding and you get the visceral payoff of an absolutely ridiculous number of Nazis being machine-gunned, set on fire or stabbed in the kidneys by Clint Eastwood.

I wasn't intending to throw any shade at Where Eagles Dare, far from it. It rocks, goes down smooth. I myself did find it to feel a little slower paced at times, at least compared to say the spaghetti Westerns I've been watching lately. But so much of how a thing feels isn't just literally pacing, it's a lot of factors.

Like, not to get all nuts and bolts on us having different opinions on Bullet Train, but saying you don't want all those dialogue scenes etc, that to me would say you mainly don't like the writing, aren't connecting to the characters and the tone they're going for. Which would make you less patient with the laid-back pacing etc. A movie could be slow as molasses, but if you're hooked you're hooked, if you're not you're not.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 8, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gotta love Donnie. Tiger Cage 2 and In the Line of Duty 4 rock.

Rewatched Blade and saw Blade II recently, now I remember the thread title! What a line. And Donnie was good to see in Blade II.

Been meaning to watch Yes Madam and those older Michelle flicks too.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Wow, that's awesome. What a cool guy.

"Matter of fact, Scott respected me so much that I gave him two guns in the movie." - that's the ultimate gift right there.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Finally watched Raging Fire, wow, that movie is incredible! Hats off to Benny Chan, what a cool, fun, gripping action epic. Tour de force.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Very cool!

I saw Accident Man last weekend, lotta fun, really solid. Also fun that it's (loosely I assume) based on a comic by one of Judge Dredd/2000AD's classic writers Pat Mills. Gotta see that second one. I love that particular flavor of fun cheese, goes down smooth.

And I must again recommend Raging Fire (2021) to everyone possible, just got the blu-ray. For me that is still the coolest style of fights I've seen in many many years, what a delight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on. Also dig the Highlander talk, any takes on Highlander 3: The Sorcerer? That's the one I didn't see. I liked that Yoshiaki Kawajiri Highlander anime.