Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

got any sevens posted:

A stuntwoman died yesterday in a motorcycle accident on the deadpool 2 set. :(

Is stunty death as rare as it seems or is it not usually publicized?

More not usually publicized, from what I gather. It seems like lately it's been happening once every few months or so.

e: a ghoulish question, but I wonder if they trash the take when a stuntperson dies, or use it anyways if it looks "right"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

sean10mm posted:

What's the most exaggerated "The streets are a WARZONE OF CRIME!!!" movie?

Lots of contenders for that one from the 1980s.

It's gotta be Death Wish 3.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

Yea but that may have been before he got the Highlander offer. His schedule may have become a lot more packed after making that statement. And if it's not him or his partner doing it then I would worry about a lovely Chapter 3 ruining what could potentially be the best action trilogy ever made.

I would assume the guy knows why he's famous, and is prioritizing the thing that made him famous over something that's pretty likely to bomb.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean Hard Boiled has the hospital shootout, in which Chow Yun-Fat mercs like 50 dudes while holding a baby

Woo is goofy as gently caress and owns it

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
What the gently caress, yeah, it's not even Halloween yet, gently caress off with that grocery-store poo poo

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I waited in the theater looking at a black screen for like 30 minutes and it was worth it just to watch Hardcore Henry.

I don't hate that movie as much as I did when I saw it, but man, I'd still almost prefer the black screen.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The thing that makes Hobo With A Shotgun work is that none of it is treated like a joke.

Yeah; Hobo with a Shotgun is funny as gently caress, but the jokes are never at the expense of the premise, and Rutger Hauer's performance is played about as straight as possible.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Ok this review of the Golden Child is loving insufferable.

There's literally nothing about the scene that's "joyless", one of the entire premises of the movie's comedy is here's this guy that doesn't take all this mystical poo poo seriously and just sort of deadpans his way through it. Does this remind anyone of another movie, perhaps? Big trouble in Little China? Imagine if I said "After being blinded by the spirit of a centuries old Chinese warrior, Jack Burton joylessly whines about his missing truck," because that's the exact same level of analytical effort that this dude is putting in.

This is another "justification pretending to be criticism" article.

(btw, Golden Child is a massively lesser version of Big Trouble but pretending that Eddie Murphy is lifeless in it is bizarre. He basically saves the movie with his shtick and charisma)

yeah, you're starting to see the problem with Nathan Rabin. he's incapable of liking individual parts of a movie he, on the whole, dislikes; a movie's either Good or Complete Hot Garbage, with literally no in-between, and if he's decided a movie is the latter he will twist every possible positive aspect into actually being lovely. he will also refuse to say why he thought something was bad, instead treating it as self-evident and calling people who disagree idiots.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Yaws posted:

Another thing I kinda hate about Con Air is Danny Trejo character Johnny 23. 23 because that's the number of women he's raped. uuughhhh.

Maybe Con Air sucks..?

iirc he doesn't actually rape anybody in the movie and gets owned very quickly though, so while Not Great it's... honestly better than a lot of other action movies in that regard

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ynohtna posted:

Have you checked out Brawl in Cell Block 99? It's a strong love letter to gritty, ultra-violent pulp.

That's... not really what he's looking for. Maybe a fifth of the runtime is action-y or violent, and it only counts as a "small army" of bad guys if you're willing to go very small (I think there's a grand total of literally like five or six bad guys).

e: this isn't to say Brawl in Cell Block 99 is bad, it's just more of a piece with stuff like Drive and Jeremy Saulnier's movies than with your average action movie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The ending to Savage Dog is loving bonkers

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Narzack posted:

Why is that, do you think? Horror has genre directors, as does sci fi, and comedy, but it seems like there aren't that many strong action directors.

I feel like a lot of this is that Hollywood action is very star-driven, rather than being auteur-driven. Commando, Terminator 2, and Total Recall are all totally different movies by totally different directors, but they're typically talked about as being of a piece with each other, due to the shared factor of Schwarzenegger. Stallone's movies get similar treatment.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wheat Loaf posted:

(Edit: What exactly qualifies as "mid-budget" in 2018?)

I would say between 20 and 80 mil. Below 20 mil you're in indie/DTV territory, above 80 mil you're in A-list Hollywood territory.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

muscles like this! posted:

It's being reported that David Leitch is in talks to direct the Rock centered F&F spin off.

holy goddamn gently caress, I'm actually interested now

Statham dragged F8 down a lot (more because of his writing than his acting) but if they've got David Leitch on board I'm in

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wheat Loaf posted:

Well, I'm keen on Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and The Nice Guys and I enjoyed Frago and Raising Arizona and The Big Lebowski (it was actually a "Customers Also Bought" notification on Amazon that brought Free Fire to my attention :v:).

my favorite Cone Brothers movie, Frago

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
that typo just made me laugh like an idiot so I wanted to point it out before it got edited :shobon:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i feel like that's being slightly unfair to BICB99, but at the same time, that movie totally is overly edgy as all gently caress and i can't really begrudge you for not liking that

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

sponges posted:

Kinda sounds like you got your precious sensibilities hurt.

a major plot point in Brawl in Cell Block 99 is that the villain has hired a Korean abortion doctor to, if the protagonist fails in his tasks, sever all of his unborn daughter's limbs in such a way that she'll still survive but be a complete invalid for her entire life. this is elucidated in loving graphic detail and very nearly happens.

pretty much the movie's signature scene is a man's face being literally scraped off his head by way of boot and concrete floor, followed immediately by another guy getting curbstomped so hard his jaw loving rockets out of his chin.

BiCB99 is a good movie, but you either haven't seen it or you're an idiot if you think that's not a totally fair complaint against it

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
like, i pretty much habitually consume absurdly dark and edgy poo poo, it's basically my preferred type of movie/TV show/etc, and even I kind of thought it got a little much

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

sponges posted:

Sounds dope

Oh don't get me wrong, if it sounds like your poo poo it probably is, but gently caress that's a nasty movie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Payndz posted:

I've been interested in this for a while, because I remember the comic (from the short-lived British anthology Toxic!) as good, warped fun. I'll definitely have to check it out when I get the chance.

Bit of info: Accident Man the comic was written by Pat Mills, who was the creator of 2000AD and (as editor, so he went uncredited because he's heavily into creators' rights) was hugely involved in the genesis of Judge Dredd. For some reason - probably because of Mills's massive anti-authoritarian, anti-capitalist, anti-religion, pro-class warfare streak that runs about a tenth of a millimetre beneath the surface of all his work - nobody's filmed any of his literally dozens of other series. But because of Accident Man, a couple of days ago somebody on Twitter suggested that Duncan Jones (Warcraft) would be perfect for a movie of Mills' ultraviolent Celtic barbarian character Slaine. Jones himself read this, contacted Mills saying "holy poo poo, are the rights to Slaine available?", and when Mills said yes Jones got right back to him with an 'I'll be in touch' message. So that could be interesting.

Oh gently caress :chanpop:

That's going to be loving awesome if it ever gets made

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I dunno, I feel like Daylights is too grounded and stone-faced to be a Moore holdover. It very much feels like the Bond series trying Le Carre or Ludlum's style on for size, whereas License to Kill is a straight-up 80s action movie shoved into the Bond franchise unceremoniously.

They're both good movies and both absolute oddities in the series.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Davros1 posted:

Daylights has Bond escaping down a mountain in a cello case. Don't recall George Smiley ever doing that

that's like the one really goofy bit in the entire movie, though, which makes it remarkably low-key for Bond.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
eh, i think those are a more grounded kind of goofy, not the same kind of goofy that gave us Bond in space and kung-fu Bond. like, the killer milkman isn't all that far off from bizarre poo poo actual intelligence agencies tried.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

If I wanted to see a "real" fight there's a million worldstar vids and MMA matches to watch.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

If I wanted to see kung fu I'd watch youtube videos of kata competitions.

Would the best compromise here be to try and mix the two approaches, a la The Raid or the aforementioned Killzone 2? Essentially wild OTT poo poo that still ends up looking brutal as all hell.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

I think I posted about this a while back, but go watch 24 Hours to Live to see the difference between a guy who has been making these kind of movies for 30 years, and a guy who spent a lot of the past few decades doing Linklater films.

I actually thought Hawke did okay in that movie, oddly enough. Like, it's not John Wick quality action, but it's also a DTV movie so I wasn't quite expecting that level of quality, and I ended up liking it.

Hawke having the chops for the non-shooty/punchy bits goes a pretty decent ways to smoothing over his lack of action training.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Fart City posted:

Reminder that Steven Seagal broke the wrist of Sean Connery - who was 53 at the time - on the set of Never Say Never Again while training him in Aikido. Because cool guys always make movie sets unsafe like that.

okay, this is a little unfair to Seagal, martial arts training is usually not a completely safe thing to do and you're occasionally going to get injured doing it. unless it happened because Seagal hosed something up and/or didn't give Connery proper advice, this isn't really something I can add to his litany of crimes.

e: like, pretty much everyone who worked on Mortal Kombat had at least one broken rib by the end of filming, per that oral history that was going around a while back, and those were all seasoned stuntmen who knew martial arts before going in, not an Aikido guy training someone with no experience.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so I slept on Hanna for the longest time because I knew it was a PG-13 and... honestly I don't tend to like PG-13 action much

I am a loving idiot for doing that

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snowman_McK posted:

You are. You really are.

it's honestly loving hilarious to me that i ignored it for so long because of the MPAA rating, because that movie is just barely a PG-13

like, I seriously would not have guessed if I didn't already know, it's weirdly bloody and violent and doesn't have much camera fuckery to hide it

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wheat Loaf posted:

Hmm. It looks like "Supercop" is on dvd but "Police Story 3: Supercop" has only ever been on video here in the UK. Pretty strange.

:psyduck: I was going to link an amazon.co.uk link but apparently Police Story 3 has only ever come out on modern formats in the US. Despite that Hot Fuzz joke, y'all basically missed the boat entirely.

The US blu-ray by Echo Bridge is apparently region free and really easy to find, if that helps any. It's not a great release (it's cropped to HDTV aspect ratio and the sound mixing is a bit poo poo) but it's better than not having Supercop at all.

e: okay, now I'm curious what the hell is up with that Hot Fuzz scene; is that a R1 DVD of it that inexplicably has a UK price sticker on it? It looks a lot like the old R1 DVD, at any rate, complete with the goofy snapcase.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 19, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

muscles like this! posted:

The part I didn't like about The Thing prequel was how they introduced a way to visually tell if someone was taken over, which kind of ruins the suspense. IIRC it was that the alien couldn't replicate anything inorganic and so if someone had any dental work or even just an earring it would be gone if they were taken over.

didn't that end up being mostly a red herring since they figured it out after most of the people with fillings and earrings were already dead/taken over, or am I wrong on that?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Narzack posted:

Yeah, this is a really fun movie. Did anyone see The Assignment? Worth watching? I like Walter Hill's stuff. Very gruffy and gritty.

it's not, like, terribly made, but it's not good enough to overcome the fact that it's insanely offensive from its very premise

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wandle Cax posted:

You guys are talking about Bullet TO the Head. Bullet IN the Head is a classic Woo film well worth watching.

also this Bullet In The Head owns

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i wish Outlaw Vern would become a youtuber but at the same time i feel like actually seeing and hearing him would be weird

e: also, I'm assuming I should show my girlfriend The Killer and A Better Tomorrow before we put on Manhunt. I was thinking I'd finally introduce her to Woo with it, since I've been talking his movies up to her for ages, but it sounds... kinda poo poo and I'd hate for that to be the first impression she gets. :smith:

e2: except I just remembered I showed her Hard Target because she absolutely needed to see Wilford Brimley riding a horse away from an explosion while hooting in Cajun.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 8, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Narzack posted:

What's the consensus on Scott Adkins? I'm kinda torn on him. On one hand, he's super physically talented. For sure, dude can rock faces off. On the other, I really don't like him as a main lead. I don't know why, but something about him just makes me see him as more of a villainous dude. Maybe it's the constant glare that I don't like, I dunno. I watched him in that Vietnam movie, and while he destroyed major amounts of bad dude face, he seemed totally unpleasant to me the entire time. Plus, he eats a dude's kidney. Which normally, I'd see as cool, but when he does it, for some reason, it seemed pretty hosed.

Maybe him as Guyver type character or Snake-eyes where he doesn't need to show his face would be ideal for me. Or him as a right hand bad dude.

How off base am I?

I feel like Savage Dog is kind of a bad example because he deliberately plays kinda darker than usual in it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LMAO this is the dumbshit who compared 300 to Birth of a Nation and called Raiders of the Lost Ark "silly". Unless you're really bored and want to read a stupid guy's surface level thoughts on movies, avoid this dude.

I've glanced at his Rolling Thunder, Project A and SPL reviews and they all seem fine? :shrug: a dude having a couple opinions you don't agree with doesn't equate to him being a stupid idiot

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
he mentions that Rolling Thunder was the first major time that a Hollywood action movie really grappled with the horror of Vietnam, and ended up setting a tone for future depictions of the war and its veterans, which... seems fair (First Blood doesn't happen without Rolling Thunder, basically)

he says that, while Jackie Chan had made awesome poo poo prior to Project A, that movie pretty much marks the codification of his style, which again... yeah, seems fair (I would have said Wheels on Meals but apparently that came out the year after Project A)

he says that SPL was where action cinema finally figured out how to use MMA, which... yeah, again, can't really argue

maybe he's got other dumb opinions but the ones I've skimmed seriously all seem basically fair, even if they're not really ultra-hot takes

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I honestly really like the way Zack Snyder does it, where it slows down for particularly cool "poses" and speeds through the rest of the action to keep the time spent the same

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LesterGroans posted:

Jason Mantzoukas

.... wait am I reading that right? Like, the guy from The League?

:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
What in the

e: I'm not mad but I am definitely confused