Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Halloween Jack posted:

Troy, and the Rock Hercules movie are really weird. They're not period pieces, but they all make a point of being like "This is the historical origin of the myth." It doesn't make any sense.

(Even Singh's Immortals, which is explicitly a fantasy and an homage to the cheesy old peplum films, features the Minotaur as a guy in a helmet. I don't get it.)

I think Troy was trying to cash in the Gladiator thing, and have a bunch of the cast standing around saying portentous things about fate and gods and whatnot in between huge action sequences. They probably figured it would be too much of a risk with audiences and critics to tangle with the supernatural aspects of the Iliad at all (imo if you're not going to to do any greek mythology in your Trojan War movie, what's the point?). The Clive Own King Arthur movie was also from 2004 and does the same game of "the REAL story behind the myth!" They wanted to have the big battles and scope of a Lord of the Rings with the box office returns and critical acclaim of a Gladiator, and I think they weakened both elements by backing away from engaging in any of the supernatural or "unrealistic" elements in the source material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Narzack posted:

One of the things I like about classic Arnie movies, is that he's always supposed to play a REAL AMERICAN HERO and, like, no one ever comments on the fact that he's a walking muscle mutant with this thick accent. Even better in stuff like True Lies or Jingle All the Way, where he's this nebbish family man, but still hilariously muscled and with his accent

Even Total Recall kind of does this. The character intro for him plays it like he's this regular joe construction worker who feels unsatisfied with his life, despite the fact that he looks like a 1990 Arnold Schwarzenegger and is married to a 1990 Sharon Stone. It's always amazing. Sometimes JCVD gets the justification of being cajun or a French immigrant to the US or something, but Arnold is just presented as is most of the time.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Payndz posted:

Cobra is a movie that's wondrous in its sheer stupidity. Everything is wrong, as if it came from a parallel, more idiotic universe. Police firing ranges are separated from the squad room by a glass partition. Cops hold high-level interdepartmental meetings in deserted parking lots at 2am. Serial killers form small armies and meet in Duran Duran videos to clang axes over their heads. Open barrels of flammable liquid are stored on rickety catwalks in steel mills filled with heat and flying sparks. Said steel mills are located in orange groves and have exactly one employee. Cars go just as fast in reverse as forwards at freeway speeds. You can grab a standing person by the throat while hiding under a bed. And that's not even getting into Marion Cobretti's pizza-eating habits.

It's all insane, and oddly loveable. Stallone genuinely believed this would start a new series as successful as Rocky or Rambo.

The food stuff in Cobra is one of my favorite touches in that movie, because it can't be justified by tenuous action movie logic. I would love to know if the pizza thing and other weird food incidents in that movie are from Stallone himself.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

dokmo posted:

this one and the last one with Michael Jai White get into specifics about how and why hollywood gets action scenes wrong, and how hard it is to get them right. MJW gives a specific example i'm going to remember: the shot in Raiders where Indy, his back to the camera, shoots the swordsman in the background, and then turns around facing towards the camera to go about his business. in 95% of hollywood productions, that would have been three separate shots: indy shooting, a closeup of the swordsman getting shot and reacting, and a tight shot of indy turning around. turns out that editors want to edit, and if you give them a lot of footage and angles, they will edit the power out of an action scene, and it takes a clear vision and strong directorial hand to prevent this from happening before the scene is filmed to avoid it. Evans talks a lot about how he relies heavily on pre-viz to know exactly the shots he needs to shoot to have coverage before the shooting begins.

I've been watching a few of these interviews with Scott Adkins and other martial arts stars recently. It feels like they have a better understanding of the mechanics of filming, editing, and camera work than many other actors. Is that just because they have to be knowledgeable about it in order to make their choreography and stunts look good?

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Snowman_McK posted:

And the annoying part is that 'Rambo takes on border violence' is a rich premise. And it does the least interesting thing. There's a sadistic gang. They do some sadistic stuff, and then rambo kills all of them.

My favorite part is how they invented the whole tunnel thing seemingly so that Sly could spend most of the final battle jumping up out of trap doors to ambush guys so he wouldn't have to do many scenes where he's required to run around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Snowman_McK posted:

That is a weird thing. And the film isn't interested in why he'd do this. There's honestly a way better take on the phenomenon of soldiers recreating the warzone at home in the Punisher TV show.

It's also so they can be very lazy with geography. At any given point, if the audience asks "Where is everyone in relation to everyone else?" the answer is always 'somewhere in the tunnels' and the film doesn't have to or indeed can't be more specific than that.

The tunnels are so prominent, so extensive, and so frequently mentioned is hilarious especially because I don't think Rambo ever really mentioned or talks about them in relation to Vietnam in the previous four movies, like he doesn't have a big traumatic story involving being a tunnel rat or anything. So I guess when he was doing all of that bow fishing on the Burmese border in the 4th movie, he was just sitting around on that boat thinking about how his real goal was to move back to the US and spend tens of thousands of dollars on materials and construction equipment to excavate an extensive and elaborate tunnel network under a farm.